Help Wanted: Seeking Emperor - Bonaparte Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to a post I read a long while back, Britain actually tried to dissuade the Ottoman Sultan from donating a huge amount of money to help them (like 10,000 dollars or pounds equivalent at the time or something like that.).

My guess would be that the Mexico would welcome in the Irish Catholics into their area. I cannot say for the Protestants; I reckon they'd go to the US like normal unless Mexico is better to protestants than US is to the Irisih in general (which could be possible. I mean, potential sour feelings regarding what happened with the Church. Also, I am thinking the Californian Gold Rush would be a nice way for Zenaida to make a good impression on her people and so on.)

I don't think they'd be looking for war right now. Just kinda rest and so on.

It might be interesting if the Bonapartists go the PR route in Ireland and at least try to donate money and supplies. Do the British stop them and make themselves look really bad or do they do nothing while the Bonapartists build postive relationships with the Irish?

Absent a European war, what about a North and South American one? The United States, Mexico, and Colombia versus Great Britain for their claims and maybe more. OTL, there was a faction that wanted to annex all of Oregon, but an almost inevitable if forced war with Mexico meant that the USA couldn't risk a large-scale war on two fronts. ITTL, could the USA (with a stronger navy in the Caribbean), Mexico (also with a decent if small navy), and Gran Colombia (small navy to defend Puerto Rico) win enough land victories and push the British to surrender?

It might be interesting if the Bonapartists go the PR route in Ireland and at least try to donate money and supplies. Do the British stop them and make themselves look really bad or do they do nothing while the Bonapartists build postive relationships with the Irish?

Absent a European war, what about a North and South American one? The United States, Mexico, and Colombia versus Great Britain for their claims and maybe more. OTL, there was a faction that wanted to annex all of Oregon, but an almost inevitable if forced war with Mexico meant that the USA couldn't risk a large-scale war on two fronts. ITTL, could the USA (with a stronger navy in the Caribbean), Mexico (also with a decent if small navy), and Gran Colombia (small navy to defend Puerto Rico) win enough land victories and push the British to surrender?

In all honesty, I am not sure. It all depends how is the slave issue (if present) is around in the USA. They might push for the Oregon Territory to get more "free states" (assuming everything is as is in OTL), though the only ones who would really get anything from this would be the US here. Granted, if the US offers Belize to Mexico and British Guyana to the Gran Colombia, that might be enough to get their attention. Though I doubt they'd be big enough prizes to wage war over (probably purchase attempts to be sure though), but not war unless something were to push them.

And the PR route is something not to be underestimated. Speaking of French and Irish, the French could potentially try also linking at the Celtic background of their homelands (Gauls were part of the Celts after all if I recall correctly), but I'm not sure how well-known that was at the time.

A war for British colonial territories does seem unlikely unless the British do something to fuck it up and the powers at be uses it as an opportunity though not sure how likely that is.

Vuu

Banned
Ah, we see now the foundations of a future real world war, seeing that the Americas are involved no matter how tangentially. Heck, even Africa via Morocco is, now all we need is some far-eastern country to jump in

So, I am still on page 9, but I just had to skim through the remaining pages here and... how did the Cherokee get to Texas? To my knowledge the Cherokees, Choctaws, Chickasaws, Shawnee, Creek, and Catawbas weren’t deported from their homelands until the Trail of Tears under the Jackson Administration. If Jackson never became president, then what brings the Cherokee in such numbers to Texas? Are they being contracted to fight the Comanche? I thought we had the Comanche settling down as farmers (I had some qualms about that, but oh well)? Even if so, would they be needed with the number of Irish immigrants being siphoned up to Texas?

So, I am still on page 9, but I just had to skim through the remaining pages here and... how did the Cherokee get to Texas? To my knowledge the Cherokees, Choctaws, Chickasaws, Shawnee, Creek, and Catawbas weren’t deported from their homelands until the Trail of Tears under the Jackson Administration. If Jackson never became president, then what brings the Cherokee in such numbers to Texas? Are they being contracted to fight the Comanche? I thought we had the Comanche settling down as farmers (I had some qualms about that, but oh well)? Even if so, would they be needed with the number of Irish immigrants being siphoned up to Texas?

I think there was some deal that had the Cherokees and so on tried to purchase land in Texas or something. I don't recall.

The Mexican government's goal is populate Texas as quickly and fully as possible to fight off filibuster attempts, so while the Cherokee were going through the court systems they decided on asking for Texan land grants as a Plan B/safety valve. Although there's no Jackson, state governments and individual federal officers atill ignore Native nations' autonomy and white encroachment (as they did OTL before Jackson and would have arguably done after without strong federal intervention). In TTL, several families and groups choose to get whatever money they can and move to Texas for easier living. OTL, 2,000 Cherokees moved voluntarily by 1838, so I'm using that as a base for movement to Texas.

I have to say, I really like this timeline. There's so much in it, I have to remind myself that it isn't even the 1850's yet.

Nappy Jr. should get a classic Roman triumph with all the victories he got. :p

Part of me wants him to declare himself Emperor just for Lolz.

The resurgence of the Roman Empire, all Hail Caesar Augustus Nappy Jr.!!!!

Chapter XXIII: The Mexican Royal Family
Hobby Culture of the Court of José I

MbhPzwdzp1e3B2RaVzYs_rXXCE2ZVN7QkiK4EFRhjAO1DIG8QSsdaj72NmeOWz-y5WVVY3g_s0vw_JUR-IskjLzIxjcLAB6v4chXw80XSxobiMSaaFr_iBJAh2B8XKfD-_ApoCQ0

Modern view of the Imperial Palace

The Mexican royal family was known for their hobbies, and the hobbyist mentality would find its way throughout society as elites needed to embrace the imperial hobbies in order to gain access to the court and the middle and lower classes emulated hobbism because it was fashionable and because a fair portion (especially amongst the middle class) of the population had some measure of disposable income and time.

Emperor José was known for his tastes and interest in literature and paintings; Empress Julia (finally reuniting with her husband on 14 February 1838) took an interest in photography; Princess Carlota, Duchess of Iturbide, herself was a painter who focused on making landscape portraits of Mexico; Prince Luciano (the husband of crown princess Zenaida) studied biology and ornithology, and Princess Zenaida followed in her father’s footsteps in having a preference for literature.

Helping the court’s image of an ideal family and positive role models for family was the constant presence of children. Prince Luciano and Princess Zenaida had seven children between 1824 and 1843: Prince José (1824), Princess Julia (1830), Princess Carlota (1832), Princess Stephanie (1833), Princess Maria (1835), Prince Luciano (1839), and Prince Juan Diego (1843).

However, the court’s atmosphere took a turn for the worse when Princess Stephanie died on 14 September 1839. Always a sickly child, the abrupt flight from Mexico City worsened her condition, and she sadly passed. Some historians argue that the death of his granddaughter led to his harsher treatment of the rebels, and it would make sense. The death of his granddaughter did coincide with a period of physical exhaustion that saw Princess Zenaida take more responsibilities in the day-to-day administration of the government.

Arrival of the Roman and Bavarian Royal and Spread of the Dia de Muertos

The arrival of the Roman and Bavarian royal families during the War of the Eighth Coalition was the biggest change in routine since the death of Princess Stephanie, and it helped the Imperial Family move on.

Importantly, the arrival of Bavarian princesses meant that the Imperial family could look for a royal bride for Prince José, at the time of their arrival in April 1841 a 17-year-old studying at the Imperial University of Mexico City (incognito under the name José Survilliers but the company of six Imperial lancers made it an open secret). The two most likely candidates were Princess Adelgunde, 18-years-old, and Princess Hildegard, 16-years-old. (There was 15-year-old Alexandra, but she suffered from obsessive-compulsive personality disorder and wasn’t considered as a result.)

Prince José with his fluent Spanish and French and vaguely understandable German, began to court the younger of the two, Princess Hildegard. In his personal correspondence to his university friend Sebastián Lerdo de Tejada (a scholarship student from a middle-class Criollo family in the state of Veracruz, the royal family approved of the friendship for the PR value of being seen fraternizing with the middle classes) he wrote, “She has a very pretty figure with an amiable personality, yet a certain rigidness that I believe shows a strong inner character.”

XKero5NIVvJsXshQE17gWT977BLe5uHeW0sGnPMOiJ-q7hNrpUkX-Kq4Ow1eJwKzvEAFm7xHJNxYfHOPdEUI1Y0Gi6b8Zv7hkup4t3IKCvZdH8GMykmDSyhokfB3xB6HJIjR-AcW

Princess Hildegrad, 1856

Famously, the Roman and Bavarian royal families returned to their countries with an appreciation for the Mexican Dia de Muertos. Since the death of Princess Stephanie, the court in Mexico City began observing the holiday with more vigor and began to make the customary altars to lost family members, pray and share stories as a family, and “celebrate life via death”. The Emperor himself made an address to the people of Mexico City, the only time other time the Emperor was guaranteed to make a speech was Christmas.

Princess Alexandra of Bavaria, who herself began a literary career in 1852, recalled

“At the insistence of my mother,I was with my sister Hildegard and the young Prince Joseph. We had prayed together at an altar made to his deceased sister and an altar made to a sister of mine who died before I was born and throughout the day we decorated the path from their private chapel to the great hall with golden flowers that Prince Joseph insisted would lead the dead to the offerings. I liked the flowers but thought throwing them on the ground a waste

[...]

“The holiday is charming, if pagan in nature, and I believe that that description works for Mexico as a whole.”

The Roman Bonapartes and Bavarians would later host similar Day of the Dead festivities in their own courts, finding the holiday “charming, if pagan,” and King Napoleon of Rome himself made an altar to his father on 2 November 1846, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of his death.

In exchange for the Day of the Dead, the Mexicans received the accordion and German music as a result of the 1844 marriage between Prince José and Princess Hildegard

Death of Emperor José & Ascension of Empress Zenaida

If a young woman of little imagination, raised in captivity by her mother and her mother’s lover can become queen without knowing the first thing about leadership, then surely a grown woman trained for decades in leadership and governance is appropriate, Justo Sierra O’Reilly in his newspaper El Fénix, trying to get an invitation to the coronation​

nTTXALLCBaBNpCT51nsF_kkAI2luqWNTsb3tHAjPDkE65qbs2Wq_WbVe0aEc5946BgqfouWd6eKVHCvlmWhblqs9yqXDxXh1wa3WUi4ZyyYOq1vwLl-OeunzPvg6dq-B-kqGfLBX

Tomb of Emperor José I in the Bonaparte Family Chapel, modeled after Les Invalides

Emperor José of Mexico died peacefully in his sleep on 22 November 1844. As the eldest daughter with a son, Zenaida was empress, yet before the Emperor died there were Assemblymen who prefered to skip her in favor of her son and Zenaida herself seemed to be unsure of whether or not she should take the throne.

Sometime in early 1844, possibly in January, while her father was unable to attend minister meetings and she was acting as de facto regent as his representative and note taker, she asked her ministers if she should take the throne. By this point, the ministers and the majority of the government was used to her because she did attend government meetings and functions as heir and regent, and there was a tradition of female Spanish monarchs in Isabella (1474-1504) and Juana (1504-1555). More importantly, Prince José was barely 20 and would need more time to grow into the role of monarch.

Still, during the early years of her reign it was apparent that she was suffering from impostor syndrome. In an attempt to legitimize the idea of herself as Empress, she spent thousands of pesos on poetry and plays that honored historical and mythological female rulers between the years 1844 and 1860. These plays would go on to influence the Mexican feminist movement in the decades to come.

On 25 December 1844, Zenaida was crowned Empress Zenaida I at the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City by Prime Minister Carlos María de Bustamante in a ceremony that was meant to highlight the unity between the Crown, Constitution, and Church. After the formal coronation, there was a procession from the Basilica to the Imperial Palace, where the Empress, in fluent Spanish that only slightly betrayed her French background, gave a speech to a crowd that is estimated to have reached 300,000 from across Mexico at that moment and reached millions more in the coming days.

“I stand before you, only the second modern Mexican Monarch in this young country’s history. Indeed, many of you remember a time when the future of this country was unknown, and I expect that more of you yet are nervous that I am taking the throne.

“Let me assure you, that my spirit and my soul are that of a Mexican Emperor. I love this country, for it has given me a new life, like I imagine that it has given you. For most of my life, the most I could hope for was to marry a prince and perhaps someday be a consort. Now, I am ruler in my own right, and I intend to repay the gift that you, the Mexican people, have given me.

“I am not a puppet of my cousin in Rome, nor am I a puppet of any one nobleman. I am your Empress: I will rule with whatever Assembly you chose to govern alongside me, I will defend the Catholic Church in Mexico, and I will do everything in my power, even renouncing my sex, to uphold the honor of the title Emperor of Mexico and to ensure the wellbeing of you, my people. VIva Mexico!”

JKrfr8iGsOT_0OUsp6XxUcEErhXRi0N8gCVmrGASLZ8pvx4Q4QkDY6j8zgYwIW90wGFqd2MgL7xDsqLNtwbr8jkuoQijcPM9ye8mOzQ4TaYov-c5bVJjd9xBN18LVSwVWtqC9FU8

Mexican 100 peso banknote from 1941, Zenaida has continuously been on Mexican currency
since 1844; the portrait of Empress Zenaida used was actually painted by her sister, Princess
Carlota

A...more feminist Mexico? That's a very interesting twist considering OTL "Machismo". If I may be so bold, maybe a whole new application for the "Soldaderas" would be in store, no?

This marriage between Mexico and Bavaria is very fascinating indeed!

Dia De Los Muertos in Bavaria will be interesting, namely in that Bavaria would likely replace much of the indigenous American aspects with their own cultures and traditions, perhaps derived from pagan Germanic traditions or from traditions of the people living in the Alps before Christianity.

The Romans meanwhile would definitely mix in plenty of the pre-Christian Roman mysticism for the holiday as well.

I wonder what the names for the holidays would be called.

Long live Empress Zenaida!

A...more feminist Mexico? That's a very interesting twist considering OTL "Machismo". If I may be so bold, maybe a whole new application for the "Soldaderas" would be in store, no?

An interesting fact I've carried since 4th grade is that Spanish and Mexican law during this period had remarkably progressive property rights for women, like actually being able to have property after marriage.

That said, I imagine Mexican feminism will be heavily influenced by Marianism and Zenaida and be relatively conservative during the remainder of this century.

An interesting fact I've carried since 4th grade is that Spanish and Mexican law during this period had remarkably progressive property rights for women, like actually being able to have property after marriage.

That said, I imagine Mexican feminism will be heavily influenced by Marianism and Zenaida and be relatively conservative during the remainder of this century.

Yeah, at least for the time period anyway. Cannot wait to see how this will further develop and change!

Amazing job!

This marriage between Mexico and Bavaria is very fascinating indeed!

Dia De Los Muertos in Bavaria will be interesting, namely in that Bavaria would likely replace much of the indigenous American aspects with their own cultures and traditions, perhaps derived from pagan Germanic traditions or from traditions of the people living in the Alps before Christianity.

The Romans meanwhile would definitely mix in plenty of the pre-Christian Roman mysticism for the holiday as well.

I wonder what the names for the holidays would be called.

Long live Empress Zenaida!

I can see the Bavarians mixing in elements of Witches' Night (Hexennacht). "We have a night for chasing off witches with fire and a night for welcoming good spirits with golden flowers!"

I've also considered having Rome use it as a Veteran Day kind of thing for public functions. "As we honor our own personal losses, let us not forget the losses of the nation and thus who sacrificed so much."

Maybe an Ofrenda al Soldado Oblvidado.

I can see the Bavarians mixing in elements of Witches' Night (Hexennacht). "We have a night for chasing off witches with fire and a night for welcoming good spirits with golden flowers!"

I've also considered having Rome use it as a Veteran Day kind of thing for public functions. "As we honor our own personal losses, let us not forget the losses of the nation and thus who sacrificed so much."

Maybe an Ofrenda al Soldado Oblvidado.

So for Bavaria, they combine the aspects then? Maybe the golden flowers would represent the fire for chasing off witches, especially in fire-prone areas. Meanwhile, modern sociologists would have a field day looking at the cultural infuences.

So Rome would combine it with a Veterans' Day? That would be pretty fascinating, combining a political holiday with a holiday grown to be associated with the occult.

Last edited:
Chapter XXIV: The United States, 1836-1844
The Election of 1836

HThF-a2G_FoUBDRobPScJCIC4vMN4qI1Q7RzXoZekxye2m9zUAqpK7Xz7cbSH_24yCuyfd7VrICygFdocmJMYdO-pawfsL7Ni_8D5xas4_RRYOdum2sGygfwk9Z2dOfUpa3LU_zz

• Harrison (NR)

• Popular Vote
  • 624,989 (41%)

• Electoral Vote
  • 121 (41%)

• States Carried

• Dickerson (PD)

• Popular Vote
  • 453,223 (30%)

• Electoral Vote
  • 83 (28%)

• States Carried

• Jay (Lib.)

• Popular Vote
  • 212,607 (14%)

• Electoral Vote
  • 50 (17%)

• States Carried

• Calhoun (D)

• Popular Vote
  • 234,527 (15%)

• Electoral Vote
  • 40 (14%)

• States Carried

During President Henry Clay’s term in office, there became an obvious breach within the National Republican Party between “Conscience Republicans” and “Cotton Republicans.” The latter were comprised mostly of Southern Republicans and Northerners who had either no strong interest in fighting slavery or who just wanted to maintain good relations with southern planters, mostly out of a connection to the textile industry. The Conscience Republicans were morally opposed to slavery and began to leave for the American Liberty Party due to Clay’s active participation in the “Caribbean slave trade” and his inability to prevent southern state governments from removing Native Americans from their lands in favor of white settlers.

With the National Republican and Liberty parties splitting the northern vote, it became apparent that the election could easily be won by a Democrat (evident by the closeness of the 1832 election and further strengthening of the Liberty Party). The problem became that the Democrats knew that the election was theirs and began to infight as well over who should win the easy election. The Southern Democrats rallied around Senator John C. Calhoun of South Carolina while Northern Democrats rallied around the 1832 nominee Senator Mahlon Dickerson of New Jersey. In order to secure the Democratic Party nomination a candidate needed 2/3rds of the delegates at the national convention and neither was able to get it, nor was any compromise candidate accepted.

Finally, Dickerson and his supporters walked away from the convention to form the Popular Democracy Party, the Populists, leaving Calhoun the Democratic nominee.

The Liberty Party chose Representative Peter Augustus Jay of New York again, and the National Republicans chose General William Henry Harrison of Ohio, a war hero from the War of 1812. The nominees for vice-president were Senator James Buchanan of Pennsylvania for the Populists, Martin Van Buren of New York for the Democrats, Representative Arthur Tappan of Massachusetts for the Libertarians, and Senator Willie Person Mangum of North Carolina for the National Republicans.

As noted in the chart above, no candidate managed to secure a majority of electoral votes, so the election went to Congress. The easiest question to solve was the question of the vice-president. The Senate, with each senator voting as individuals, had to choose between Mangum and Buchanan, the two top vote-getters, Mangum, the only Southerner left for either office, was elected to serve as vice-president to keep balance between the two halves of the country and to try to win over Southern states for the remaining candidates.

The House had to choose between Harrison, Dickerson, and Jay, but the Libertarian Jay only served to make getting an absolute majority of states (each representative voted in their state’s delegation as each state was allowed one vote for president) harder. Fourteen states were needed, and it would prove to be a hard climb for every candidate. On the third ballot, Dickerson scrapped by with fifteen votes. He carried his four states from the election; the six states that supported Calhoun; New Hampshire from Jay; and Louisiana, North Carolina, and Tennessee from Harrison.

For the third time in four elections, a president was elected despite not winning a plurality/majority of the popular votes, and for the second time in four, the election went to the House. Still, Dickerson became the first president since 1801 to be neither a Democratic-Republican nor a National Republican, and the first Northerner not from Massachusetts.

0ySWI1S9gmIhjxHMD7j3FrK2c5azaJT9XVQTEfACibJSvoe3YFXlZm7PyqLmfSCh1tSdzdw9jK9BCOnDD6gGPQdMsub9-3gtncko-ZDF6ezFH_EpTVOy5Rg8mGqPDLzIaZc3lF9H

Mahlon Dickerson, Eighth president of the United States

The Dickerson Administration (1837-1845)

First Term

The three most pressing matters for Dickerson upon entering office were reuniting with the Democrats to recreate the banner of a national party, electoral reform, and lowering tariffs..

Reuniting with the Democrats was achieved through the advent of what became the “spoils system.” Dickerson purged National Republicans from civil service jobs and replaced them with Populists in the North and Northwest and Democrats in the South, culminating in Democratic vice-presidential nominee Martin Van Buren being given the position of Secretary of State and John Quincy Adams being withdrawn as US Minister to Mexico (replaced by James M. Wayne of Georgia). By the midterms, the divide between Populists and Democrats was gone, however, attempts by Populists to lower the delegate requirement for a presidential nominee to one half plus one were unsuccessful. Instead, it was only lowered to three fifths (60% as opposed to 66%).

With three elections out of four resulting in a losing candidate in the popular vote winning office and two times out of those having the election go the House, the office of president came under fire for not representing the will of the people, and the opposition could always point to a lack of popular mandate to refuse negotiating with the president and his agenda. Abolishing the Electoral College would only serve to anger the small states and slave states (the 3/5ths Clause helped in increasing their number of electors and therefore their influence), so there needed to be some way to work with the system, and distributing the state electors in proportion to popular vote was rejected because it was thought that it would only lead to more elections being thrown into the House. Confused, angry, and on the border of infighting, the Dickerson Administration gave up.

Lowering tariffs to an average of 25% was much easier, however, it proved to be problematic. Abolitionists in the North started pushing for buying “slave-free” cotton products from Mexico, Great Britain, and northern South America. While the extent that this affected Northern textile factories is debatable and in all likelihood small, it definitely angered them and even angered the South as it was feared that there would be a decrease in the price of cotton.

In response to this and an increasing number of petitions from the North about slavery, the House passed a resolution that prevented the petitions from being read. When John Quincy Adams took a seat in the House of Representatives following the 1838 midterm elections, he made a name for himself by criticizing and flaunting the gag rule and slavery. At one point Dickerson was recorded as saying, “I should have left Adams in Mexico.”

The Election of 1840

0e61hBwi2AArkckOGqiL_pOS8iBQfsqmQQ6TAgxmTPLND5PEki3ZhtSVRK-5UQBXcghBPceWe3rsPsg5Pfg6pqPe6VT47anG85Ev9py7UP4SxJSXl-Rxa_hrjmY4dKKqDnUjrBl-

The newly reunited Democratic Party nominated Dickerson for president on the first ballot, and for his vice-president choose Senator William Cabell Rives of Virginia.

The National Republicans decided to focus on weakening the Liberty Party’s hold on New England and strengthening their position in the Upper South. To this end, they ended up choosing Senator Daniel Webster of Massachusetts for president (JQ Adams was on a few ballots but he was considered too anti-slavery), and Vice-President Willie Person Mangum of North Carolina for vice-president.

The Liberty Party stuck with Representative Peter Augustus Jay of New York, but for vice-president they nominated former president John Quincy Adams, despite his insistence on remaining with the National Republicans.

This election was kinder to Dickerson as he managed to win the election outright with 149 electoral votes (148 were needed to win) to Webster’s 124. Jay trended downward with only 21 electoral votes and 203,253 (8.5%) popular votes as a result of the National Republicans’ strategy. Dickerson, however, lost the popular vote 1,077,045 (44.6%) to 1,132,383 (46.9%), making him the only president so far to win two terms without winning a plurality of the popular vote at least once and marking the fourth time in five elections that an election resulted in a president without a popular mandate,

Second Term

Dickerson’s second term, compared to the first, was disastrous.

In foreign policy, relations with Mexico took a hit. On 14 February 1842, on his 60th birthday and in recognition of his services to the crown, Vicente Guerrero was made Duque of Texas and made a member of the Order of the Imperial Golden Eagle (a new Mexican chivalric order). During the ceremony, which included ambassadors from all over the world, US Ambassador James Wayne refused to bow to the Afro-Mestizo. (He would later come to say that he didn’t know he had to bow, but that doesn’t explain why he didn’t bow when he saw everyone else doing it. It would have been embarrassing, but not insulting.) Emperor José, by nature temperate, ordered Wayne to leave Mexico City and demanded that he be recalled and that “some important Yankee” (his words) apologize to him and to Duque Vicente.

Likewise, tensions over runaway slaves going to Mexico and the United States’ refusal to commit to a defensive treaty against the British stung. Firebrands from the Deep South pushed Dickerson to take some action against Mexico in “defense of American property and interests.” Dickerson refused, but abolitionists in Texas made sure that their speeches and petitions were made public in the Empire to strengthen anti-Southern/anti-slavery sentiment (depending on who’s asked).

The aforementioned Vienna Conference resulted in no new territory for the United States and no solution to the Oregon Territory Question. His postering did, however, allow the National Republicans to claim that Dickerson was going against the spirit of President George Washington by attempting to involve the country in European affairs and alliances.

Domestically, he still failed to make any headway on finding a way to increase the legitimacy of the presidency in the face of an opposition that could claim to represent the majority of American opinion and in the eyes of democratically-minded Americans. Still, how to do it without upsetting the various factions while guaranteeing Democratic victory.

There was no immediately groundbreaking legislation passed during Dickerson’s second term, but the naval academy in Savannah, Georgia and the national university in Washington DC graduated their first classes. Dickerson used the good press to pass legislation to endow new universities in Philadelphia, New York City, Raleigh (North Carolina), and St. Louis (Missouri(). The blatant attempt to win over swing states with what amounted to bribery wasn’t lost on the Republican press or the various states that didn’t get anything but felt they should have. The fact that National Republicans supported the act was brushed aside as standard Republican politics in supporting higher education.

As the 1844 election approached, Dickerson announced that he would respect the two-term limit and support whichever candidate the Democrats nominated, regardless of regional considerations.

So the next post will also be about the political situation in the United States, then it'll be the California Gold Rush (the biggest challenge to Mexican-American relations), and then some looks into the cultures of Mexico and the United States. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.