Votes: 1 8.3%
  • flag 2

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • flag 3

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • another

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i have a bad feeling. tho i have to say it kinda feels wierd that suddenly he is so hostile to alexander
Well he and Heraclonas always bickered but at the end he listen to him now with the war dragging out and his brother words heraclonas admits that listen to the old man while good won't work here because he is impatient

battle of Rhage
As mid 854 came, Theoktistos proved himself he crossed the Elburz mountains despite some ambushes made by the Persians, due to his scouts he managed to prevent them and sent counter ambushes for them, even in the situation when they were ambushed, the remaining protathignators and their troops fought of their ambushes, due to this he and his army survived he crossed he besieged the old city of Rhagae.

The Persian entered into panic, but Dabuya ordered a force to attack them but said the force should outnumber them, Bahram who had just come back from Mesopotamia came to lead this attack against the Romans, they gave him only 8000 men, he with the 4000 men that stayed for the campaign of Mesopotamia this along with 2000 conscripts form the capital finally allowed him to march to the north.

To the north as the weeks passed, as the siege of Rhagae dragged on, the local Dabuyid forces attacked the provisions that came from the mountains, with fewer provisions coming starvation and disease might spread if the siege dragged on for too long and then the news came to him that the Persians were sending reinforcements.

By July Bahram parted from the capital with his 14 000 men, due to that the leader of protathignators gathers his men to plan on how to deal with the Dabuyid reinforcements.

many said they should just retreat as they were outnumbered and besieging a city as they feared their garrison might join Bahram.

but Leo was opposed to this and said:" I say we should just do an inverted crescent and charge them using the high ground of the near mountains. "

Theoktistos responded:" Leo you are a brave and fine warrior but you are lousy tactician they have many ways to counter this from enveloping us, feigned retreat so yes I rather not show up to Heraclonas with the army he put me in charge of dead because I listen to hot-headed Syrian who dictates his reason as well not better than his tongue."

Leo chuckled as so did the other protathignators he was a man who really likes to taunt his enemy on the battlefield either way he begrudgingly agreed that he would not make any more "suggestions"

Then Theoktistos said: "alright anyone else except Leo has any suggestions? "

Paul said: "sir Leo might be right on some things we could use the mountains to set an ambush however I fear that is an obvious tactic and would accept that ."

Martiros responded:" Yes but sir we have to consider another option that Paul and Dachi have not said"

Theoktistos replied: "what do you mean? "

Martiros continued to speak: "well the Persians had superior numbers, we are besieging a city the Persian attacks have not helped us cutting our supply lines, the Persian reinforcements might not attack us rather join the others and cut our supplies completely of and then sent small attacks to grind us to nothing. "

Dachi replied: "True but if that is not the case, the ambush plan does not seem like a bad idea, we could use the mountains here in our proximity to lay an ambush, while I do agree that it would be predictable we could set up more than one, since, with multiple ambushes, we might either attack them and destroy their force, as they might panic since the many ambushes, might fool our enemy to believe that we have superior numbers, they could believe they are surrounded if we can not destroy the Persian force, this might force the Persians to disperse them and then attack them, forcing them to flee giving us time to call Basileus for reinforcements or possibly lower the morale of the defenders of Rhagae that they just might surrender to us, giving us a foothold and path to the Persian capital."

They plotted what to do for the next days of course Gregory did not talk too much as he was still too young and did not have much experience to have any input still he did write these interactions as he liked to write about these events and one of the primary sources of this campaign.

After some 3 weeks and a half Bahram arrived and founded uses supplies and some graves, it seemed like the raids harmed the Romans, and his scouts told him most forces of the Romans being on the nearby mountain, as a roman force Martiros was still besieging the city, he had already fortified his position, however, Bahram did not attack him as he feared an ambush so he waited as the hours passed, the other Persians commanders forced Bahramam to attack he sent his first line of infantry with a bigger second-line marching near them with the cavalry in reserve, as this was happening a line of roman soldiers lead by Dachi came to fight, Bahram had anticipated the Persians shifted to fight the roman force descending them from the mountain.

The fighting began the first Persian lines clashed with the Romans and their stakes and defensive earthworks as the Romans rained arrows to them, while the second Persian line clashed with the Romans and began to push them back to the mountains, as Bahram view this with the cavalry as the Romans kept retreating, to the northeast the Persians kept attacking with higher casualties mounting up, as time went by Bahram sent an order to the infantry to stop as he predicted an ambush, however Bistam who was leading the attack ignored this as he was close he would destroy the Romans.

Theoktistos used this and came down to attack, as the archers in the mountains to harass the Persians from the flank, this worked as Bistam separated his force but the Persians could not outnumber the roman archers in the mountains and chaos began, he called for Bahram but he knew it was hopeless so he told him and the others to retreat in an orderly fashion, they followed this but were harassed as they descended from the mountains with the roman archers, cavalry and infantry attacking them and creating more casualties.
It seemed like their plans were working as the captain of Heraclonas guard captured locals and questioned them one by one about the local terrain and the nearby mountains and hills, he did so because he did not want to rely on just one witness and plan how to deal with the Persians numbers.

By the time they descended from the mountains, the Persians had suffered high casualties, the numbers where now were closed due to high Persian casualties, and both armies clashed trying to outflank each other and failing, the garrison of the city moved to help them and they pushed the Romans back causing a lot of casualties, seeing this the Persians attacking Martiros also pushed forward by now they had removed the stakes, but the Romans responded as the Persian position was attacked by a group of cataphracts led by Paul pushing them back and began to break them.

Seeing how the situation developed Bahram knew that he might break the roman force that he was fighting but the others would come for him, the Persian general timidity won the day as he ordered an organized retreat, after some minutes the Romans stopped chasing them fearing an ambush.

Bahram had lost but he knew that Theoktistos victory was pyrich one as more 1/3 of his force was dead, even if the city was lost he knew that the Romans need it time to get reinforcements as Heraclonas was still busy in Tabaristan.

Last edited:
Nika against the great houses of iran
when Bahram was defeated the news reached the capital, but the sha understood the situation the Romans could not punch deeper into Persia at least there was some good news, during the events in the city of Rhages, the Parthian houses decided to help the house of Ispahbudhan the surviving armies of the house of Zik who were the first to be attacked by Heraclonas army while part of the armies of the house of Spandiyadh joined against the emperor, but not all joined, of course, some were off fighting the tang, while the house of Karen did not contribute as much as most of its forces joined Bahram due to him convincing and many nobles of the house admiring him and of course the house of Mihran did not join due to their rivalry against the house of Ispahbudhan.

Now the armies had to prepare when would they attack, some said to the first attack the city of rhages drag the Romans out to battle
but the other nobles said it was not worth it since they did not have the numbers for a battle and their forces were composed of heavy cavalry cataphracts and horse-archers so they were not the best for a siege.

Also at the time the emperor and John took Amol and were besieging sari the city named after Saruyeh the son of the legendary sha Farrukhan the Great even and soon Alexander would take the whole of mespotemia and thus could lift the siege and defeat them, but they would have to take a route to cross the mountains.

The Parthian noblemen decided that the route of the Haraz River was the best, but it would be the long route as they had to avoid the city of Rhages be it a fight or detection, once they would enter the mountain pass and attack the city of Amol, that would cause the Romans to either lift the siege, send forces to attack them thus making it easier for the forces of Ispahbudhan to defeat Heraclonas forces, or force the roman forces in Rhage to retreat from the city they just captured.

And they moved unknow them they had been spotted by roman scouts sent by Theoktistos and sent the news to the emperor, due to this Heraclonas sent John with a force to intercept them in the past where the river was, Heraclonas sent John with a part of his infantry and some cavalry, after some days the Romans intercepted the Parthians, being in a narrow pass with the rivers the horse archers became nearly irrelevant, but the cataphracts could still charge and caused some casualties to the Romans, the fighting continued for some hours, but as the numbers of the Parthians seemed to be winning a roman force appeared from behind
attacked them, it was a force led by Dachi sent by Theoktistos now surrounded, this turned the tide of the battle, which resulted in the Parthians force being largely slain or captured.

With that John and Dachi returned to their respective fronts, not knowing of the defeat of the other Parthian forces in the pass, the forces of Ispahbudhan, arrived when John had returned from the battle, during this time Heraclonas wanted to leave as news came that Alexander fell ill and prepared but he knew his troops need him as without him morale would plummet, so he needed it a victory so that he might leave.

When the Parthians got to the city, the Romans lifted the siege but left a small force just in case the small force of the garrison wanted to join, still, John put his forces in the nearby hills, the Parthians rushed to attack, John ordered his troops, who had the advantage of high ground, to attack the horse-archers advancing up the slope as their cavalry attacked the Parthian cavalry, The horse-archers were forced into close-quartered combat against the Romans, while the roman cataphracts attacked the Persian ones, and suffered heavy casualties, the Parthian noble was killed in combat, this caused a chain reaction and the Parthians will break as panic spread, many of the horse archers in fleeing crashed into their fellow horse archers and cataphracts, in their desperation to escape.

The horse-archers eventually fled were killed or captured, the Parthian cataphracts who were still in reserves, which were at the bottom of the hill were enveloped and surrounded, as the others fled the roman archers rained down arrows to the fleeing Parthians horse archers and the remaining cavalry broke and attempted to flee from their entrapment, which not all managed to do. Overall the Roman army had achieved another victory against the Dabuyid empire.

Both the sha and the houses armies had been defeated but at a very high cost many now plotted to overthrow Dabuya II, after his victory Heraclonas finally left the area to visit the old man.

Last edited:
rest now great hero
In late 855 Heraclonas went to visit Alexander who was bedridden, he went to Nisibis where Alexander was, and went to visit him.

The emperor entered and said nothing as he and his mentor saw each other then he muttered: I'm sorry

The old man said: your words were harsh Heraclonas but they had many truths in them, I have failed the empire allowed the regents to nearly destroyed it, and allowed you and your brothers to suffer and for that, I apologize, for that and for me being harsh but I guess I can take comfort is that I thought you how to survive but I feared that you are to rash and I always thought that would be your downfall but it seemed you prove me wrong as sometimes it might work.

As you have proven me and many others, wrong Basileus, I thought you would die in Persia, but nay you who have struck into Persia proper no roman emperor has done some of my men say you are the new Alexander the great said the old man as he laughed.

But know everything is not right, I know how you feel I saw it many times in your eyes and your expression, the same expression I saw with your father, you are afraid and angry due to the pressure of a whole empire thrown at you, I can see your deep sadness you are also tired of you are expected to be perfect all times to many responsibilities, chipping away at your life, of course, it does not help that you try to be a good leader as you could live lavishly but no you love this empire and you see it as your duty and rightfully so.

Oh, Heraclonas, if you were born 50 years earlier or maybe had I become regent you would not be in this situation and could have become a great emperor and you would be with your wife and child right now instead of wasting your life in campaign after campaign.

I was in prison for such a long time, but I fear that you have created your own prison and I hope I'm wrong.

Heraclonas said: I understand speaking of which could you never told me the story of your arrest

Alexander responded: Oh yes I never did tell you the full story.

But Heraclonas was called since the news came from the east he had to leave.

Alexander said: before I want to give you this, and thus the old war hero gave Heraclonas a red cloak.

The emperor said: your red cloak? Is this item not important to you and your family?

Alexander responded: Yes it was gifted to my grandfather by the emperor Constantine V when he participated in the war against the Khazars it was then gifted to my father and then to me, I have many memories of this cloak many be it glorious battles or horrible regrets.

Heraclonas said: but you should give it to your son this is so connected to your family.

Alexander just looked down sadly and Heraclonas understood what happened.

Alexander then said: it's not your duty to keep it, but I want to give it to you It serves as a reminder of what I have fought for, I know you will appreciate what it represents and how i considered you to be mine own

Heraclonas was informed that the tang were leaving and his forces despite their victory suffered massive losses and knew there were vulnerable this caused major problems by the time he sent letters to his forces in Persia by the time he returns it was too late Alexander was already dead.

But he left a letter to him, it said: Heraclonas if you read this I could not tell you the story I promise to tell, the events were among the saddest moments of my life.

In the last months of your father’s life, he gave me supreme authority over the state until Tiberius was ready to rule, in these months the senate and the nobles who disliked me learned that I was to be regent, they slowly being putting bribes and moving guards from the imperial palace and the city in general.

In those last days of July, I was still resting in Nicomedia, as your father had died some days ago and everything was being prepared for his funeral I was out of the city to grieve as I could not withstand causing the death of your mother and your father.

Around morning, Manuel your friend, and one of my pupils told me of the conspiracy I moved out back to Constantinople to stop this and I arrived in Chalcedon there My advisors gave me 3 options

The first said to dawn my uniform got to the city and proclaim to the people that I was entrusted by Heraclius to be a ruler and these men conspired against where to be executed but

But there was a fear that these may cause discord and great protest in the city.

The second told me to march to nicea and gather forces there to then to Constantinople.

While the third told me to go and reunite with those in the city still loyal to me and arrest the conspirators.

Manuel had gathered those loyal to me and I had gathered some men loyal to me and went to the senate-house in Augustaion

There I confronted the conspirators but it was a trap many guards came those men loyal to me fought and I pulled out my dagger but numbers were against me and my men, but I can clearly tell they did not want me dead as they shouted not to kill me as the minutes passed my men where dead, I continued to fight.

But I was pinned but continued to struggle them was Manuel, when I saw him I stopped struggling and was struck and passed out.

The next thing I knew I was on a boat to Crimea where I rotted for more than a decade, I believed that the people and those loyal to me would ask questions the latter did and paid dearly with their lives, and thus I as I rotted I slowly began to lose hope until I met you.

I leave what little I have to you, the situation of the empire has left you with a great burden of responsibility that no man should bear but i trust that you are capable to deal with this, I was reinvigorated by you and now I see that not all hope is lost and for that, I thank you I can rest at peace knowing that you will guide this empire to a better future, but before I leave, I pass the promise that I gave to your father and defend your brothers, but this not be an easy task for you and I know Esau will claim his birthright.

As for my final will and ask to have my bones laid in Ctesiphon, I leave the rest to you.
and hopefully, we shall see each other in the next life, my friend.

Heraclonas finished reading the note and tried his best not to weep but to no avail, the close thing he got to a second father figure to him was gone, and with it the emperor resolve.

Last edited:
shame of Heraclonas
With the death of Alexander and the retreat of the tang not wanting to loose his forces, Heraclonas was torn on what to do, he knew Alexander was by far his best commander, and with the tang gone the Persians would shift all the attention to kick out his forces of their territory.

He diced that he had the upper hand in the war I mean he had defeated most of the houses and the shas armies but now the eastern armies were going to attack.

He knew that his realm had seen war for far too long if right now he had more bargaining power; Heraclonas predicted that Dabuya would not want to extend the war and would be more lenient on a peace proposal, but he would be branded a coward and the years of fighting would go to nothing, he doubted what to do, so he reunited with his guard, john, and other members on his decision.

The emperor told his peace treaty and there were mixed reactions.

The men from the west like Theoktistos, Tiberius, Theophilos, Demetrius, Romanus and Constantine saw it as something that was fine, while Martiros, Basil, and Paul had some doubts, and Vachagan, Nicetas, Leo, and John disagreed.

The ones who agreed said that it was necessary as the other wars made the empire too exhausted if they continued to fight the empire might crumble they need it to have peace to fix the massive internal issues.

The ones in doubt agreed with this but also feared that the Persians would not uphold the treaty.

While the ones who disagreed said that the Persians would not uphold the treaty and that if they accepted they would give the Persians land more provinces would be vulnerable.

After some days of discussing they agreed on the peace treaty, he hoped the sha would agree, and he was correct, the sha wanted to end the war as he did not want to extend it he was already in a bad situation, and to win he would have to kick the Romans out of Tabaristan then cross the Persian gates to invade Mesopotamia that might have worked in the initial stages of the war since it caught the Romans by surprise but now they could fortify or lay ambushes or attack via the Caucasus extending the war, he was already in problems as the houses disliked him and even with victories he could extend the war for another 10 years and then get killed by his nobles, the houses could rebel and he did not want to be the new Khowsrow II.

So when the news came of Heraclonas peace proposal it was the perfect news he would not have to extend the war and would have a victory or at least something to gain.

The peace treaty that Heraclonas proposed said that he would retreat all the armies he had in Persia and give vas tribute to them, the sha pretended to accept he had gathered his army and ambushed the romans in gilan, with that the sha could ask for more, the defeat convinced heraclonas to end the warm as the shah wanted more of Mesopotamia but also a buffer zone to Gilan so he wanted some territory in the Caucasus.

But some houses and other nobles wanted more, as they wanted to extend the peace treaty to the borders of Constans II and Gil Gavbara some wanted to return to the borders to the time before the last Sassanid war, while others wanted to invade the whole of the Roman Empire.

Dabuya obviously scoffed at this, the Romans would never accept such a proposal he just wanted Mesopotamia and some Caucasian territory.

So he sent his proposal to Heraclonas, which he also doubted, so conveyed another meeting, it seemed the sha did not want the whole of Mesopotamia but wanted the capital Heraclia

and thus everything north of Heraclia belonged to the Romans and everything south belonged to the Persians along with Caucasian territory but the romans would not have to pay a war indemnity or tribute.

After discussing the Romans agreed even though for Heraclonas it was insulting as he left the great city built by Constantine IV, but for that, he also got another part in the deal. And Dabuya agreed that any noble who wanted to leave along with any roman or anyone who preferred roman rule , most nobles left alongside many other rich land owners , while many including the heretics stayed as they would prefer Persia rule, Heraclonas also ordered that Alexander body who was been moved to Ctesiphon be to northern Mesopotamia. And thus The second byzantine – Dabuyid war was over know Heraclonas despite what he saw as his greatest shame, repeated to himself that this was necessary as he wanted and need it to deal with the rest of the problems of the empire but Alexander’s last words where true Esau would claim his birthright.

Last edited:
roman empire after the second Dabuyid war

middle east.png

Last edited:
the final straw
Now that the war with Persia was over Heraclonas could concentrate on his Bulgarian problem, the Bulgarians decided that attacking over the Danube was a bad strategy so they attacked the Slavic principalities who were roman vassals that were beyond the Danube, these did not have strong armies but the mountains and the forts slowed them down but as Romans was busy with Persia one by one the principality fell to the Bulgarians despite roman reinforcements to support their vassals.

The last to hold out was the avar remnant due to its combination of horse archers, lancers and their Slavic infantry combined with their forts slowed the Bulgarians down, and even inflected some defeats to the Bulgarians, the Romans sent reinforcements to save them and Croatia whom an Bulgarian army went to support a candidate, by the time Tiberius had arrived the avar remnant had fallen along with most of Panonia, and the Bulgarians were planning to cross the Danube.

He came with reinforcements and an Armenian general named Vahram their defenses strategy worked, every time the Bulgarians tried to cross the abundance of forts, made them cross certain in chokeholds where the roman army would kick them back of course the distance of the front and the lack of the required forts, meant that crossings did happen but the thematic forces would attack them alongside the survivors of the avar remnant that fled to Byzantine territory helped by harassing their supply chains and camps.

Then news came of Heraclonas surrender, when the emperor’s brother heard what happened he was absolutely livid.

He said: How could he have done this? That coward he was doing so well and gave up without a fight, and gave them Caucasian territory, Mesopotamia and the city of our great ancestor, I knew he was not fit to rule, he was just a puppet to Alexander and know that fool has died, he could not find a replacement and now he does not know what do.

But Tiberius had to think he would reunite with his brother who was planning to help him against the Bulgarians.

They met in Constantinople and the meeting was tense, Heraclonas was happy to see his brother after some years, the feeling was not mutual the meeting began with Heraclonas explaining the situation and Tiberius was asking many questions, still, Heraclonas tried to respond in the best way possible.

The emperor said: I had to do it if I extended it and we would have lost more than Mesopotamia, and even if we continued to win there was no guarantee that our economy, morale, and the empire as a whole could not resist a drawn-out war.

Tiberius pretends to understand in reality he saw it as cowardice since their ancestor Heraclius fought a long war and still won, still, he asked.

"So what is your plan on how to fight off the Bulgarians?"

Heraclonas said: depends, we plan to fight if it’s necessary, but I have thought about a peaceful solution they have taken slavic lands but we only need to threaten them and prepare if they attack us if they do will crush them

The emperor’s older brother said: " You are joking right? I spent years with the troops in the Danube slowing them down and you want to surrender like a coward?"

Heraclonas responded: No, Tiberius they have conquered our vassals and want more, maybe we can have a compromise that they could just stay with the areas they conquered and not take any roman territory.

Tiberius responded: you want to show to the entire world that the Roman Empire can’t defend its allies.

Heraclonas responded: these allies of ours have been of little help some of them have betrayed us, may I remind you that our armies are not in great conditions if I can resolve this diplomacy the better we are in no condition to fight a long war.

Tiberius responded: "you have insulted those who died in Persia and Mesopotamia now you plan to do the same against the men who died in the Danube, the men I personally have a fight and bled with. "

The emperor’s brother stood up and Heraclonas guard stood up fearing that he might have attempted something, but he just scoffed and left.

But the emperor’s brother was outraged and stormed out of the palace to go back to the troops in the Danube, with these events Tiberius was convinced that arguing with his brother was a waste of time, he was not worthy to be on the throne, he committed all these bad decisions and he was the eldest it was the regents who took his power and right to rule and now it was his brother that took it from him.

The emperor’s brother planed a conspiracy to overthrow his brother, Vahram agreed, in fact, he had the support of most of the army of the north do to him despite not having any sort of military training he was with them in the battle against the Bulgarians, he was with them in the cold winter months during the camps, and he was there in their victories.

He had the support of them with that he was confident that he could take the throne.

Alexander was right Esau would claim his birthright.

Last edited:
thank you I have seen how you liked my timeline binding 19 pages i did not except that.
welcome and if i may offer an idea/thought that when the empire and government has stabilized itself they could look into reforming the monarchy so there is less chance of civil war braking out

Battle of the Trajan gates
Despite him not standing his brother Tiberius did not openly announce his rebellion, no, he was more cunning than that he wrote a letter apologizing to his brother for his behavior, it was the death of his brother, the connection he had formed with his soldiers and officers and the idea of their sacrifice being thrown away caused a rage that blinded his judgment, he told his brother for their forces to reunite in Serdica to plan a peace but in the case, the Bulgarians refuse they can counter-attack.

During this time the emperor was in his capital,Niceteas was talking about the cost of the war as he had a talent for monetary administration and before been signed up was studied about this, he said to the emperor.

"Basileus the wars have cost us much and while not paying a war indemnity to the Persians have helped us, the cost of those who came before, the corruption that they allowed and the failure to collect taxation due to corruption and the consequences of the war,If we extend the war for some years, we won't have enough fund to pay the army and that might lead to a new round of crisis, so this is why I recommend a peaceful solution to the Bulgarian conflict".

As they were talking news reached Tiberius pleading, Heraclonas was ecstatic but his guards and John were not confident over his brother's true intention.

Leo heavily distrusted him and said:" you should not go there I don't trust your brother and I think he should be removed from the front entirely."

Theophilos said:" It would be better to send some diplomats with some gifts to him symbolizing you accepting his proposal, and sent parts of the army to him and saying that they would meet in the north since there was no time to waste, and by his reaction, we shall now what his true intentions are "

He did just that as he marched out of Constantinople, the news came back and Tiberius insisted that he come and so he did but that raised more suspicion, as they marched towards the city.

Once Heraclonas was on the Trajan gates news reached the emperor that there was an army in the mountains near his rear, Heraclonas thought it was Tiberius army but why would he hide instead of meeting him, but he suspected it was a Bulgarian raiding party that was there to scout.

Heraclonas heard the advice of The Byzantine army retreated to rest for the night, some rumors began that the Bulgarians had barred the nearby mountain routes stirred commotion among the soldiers, and on the following day the retreat continued in growing disorder.

When night came the forces of Tiberius attacked Heraclonas camp, with that, the Romans loyal to Heraclonas reacted but it was too late and the tide of battle turned to Tiberius' side.

the Romans loyal to Heraclonas front guard lead by John managed to squeeze through slopes that were not yet taken by the forces of Tiberius, The rest of the army was surrounded by the forces of the emperor's brother.

The protathignators made a shield wall as Theoktistos ordered the rest of the guards to make an escape for the emperor, the fighting grew so fierce that The emperor was nearly killed, with Vachagan, Demetrius, and Romanus were wounded.

still, the protathignators and the rest of the guards managed to break out with heavy casualties and to lead their Emperor to safety through secondary routes many of Heraclonas army were slain and captured.

The emperor was forced to flee while, Tiberius had won the upper hand, but knew that his brother was not dead and therefore he could fight back, he needed it to move the army of the Danube to the south to take Thessaloniki and later then the capital of Constantinople so that he might be the undisputed emperor, but that meant giving the Bulgarians chances to cross the Danube and he questioned to ask his brother to just step down and be exiled or if it was necessary to blind him.

They convinced him that as long as Heraclonas had power the empire would continue to suffer and that they could deal with the Bulgarians at any moment but they need it to deal with Heraclonas first.

So with that Tiberius called the forces in the Danube, and what he feared became true with the brother's feud the Bulgarians crossed the Danube almost unposed and began sacking the byzantine border themes and Pannonia.

Last edited:
Siege of Philippopolis
After his defeat Heraclonas moved to Constantinople but knew that staying in the city would not help, as he knew there were people loyal to his brother who might assassinate him, he needed to move deeper into Anatolia to gather another army and beat his brother as he went east, the ascended Tiberius moved to secure his power Taking cities in the region most accepted his rule but others cities like Philippopolis resisted, Tiberius, moved his army his against the city as he could not leave any stronghold that was loyal to his brother.

Tiberius moved his army quickly, his scouts arrived and captured anyone who was outside the city’s walls and enemy scouts so that they might not alter the defenders of his arrival, Tiberius himself and the army arrived some days later and he brought heavy siege engines, catapults, battering rams, and siege towers catching the defenders by surprise, Heraclonas was worried if he sent a contingent they could be killed but if he did nothing the city would fall, timidity won the day and the emperor continued to gather an army so that he would have a substantial advantage over Tiberius.

The defenders survived the first days of the siege, hoping that Heraclonas would arrive to save them, but as the first week was over they discovered that the emperor was not coming to the rescue, and thus the city was forced to rely on its own forces.

But the defenders were in luck, even though the besiegers were professionals, they were unable to make full use of their siege engines, due to lack of experience after all these forces mainly were usually manning forts and attacking Bulgarians who crossed the Danube, they were often the besieged and did not really prepare themselves to besiege other cities.

This was proven since one of the siege towers caught on fire and instead of trying to put it out the crew panicked and left leading to its collapse and many of them died, the battering rams also did not prove as effective against the walls or the gates, still Tiberius did not give up and ordered assault after assault, and like a wave, his forces broke upon the wall, as casualties mounted up for both sides with the siege dragged on, and the days continued the besieged morale went up as they might hold off till Heraclonas arrived and sent letters to him to come to lift the siege, with him responding them to hold off as he was soon going to arrive, this was Tiberius greatness worry if he dragged on the siege Heraclonas might arrive with a larger army lift the siege and defeat him and make his potential reforms null, so he insisted with the assaults.

Still, 3 weeks later the walls still stood strong, but his luck would change, as the siege dragged on and Heraclonas nowhere to be found, many began to lose their morale, a group of guards offered to open the gates allowing them to scale the walls, of course, this would cost its worth in gold, Tiberius did not hesitate to accept, the next night some units entered the city by climbing on the walls, while the guards let them and they and the units opened the gates, what followed next was Esau’s retribution against the followers of his brothers, the city its self would be spared for destruction, after all, he was at least to him and his followers the emperor and as the emperor destroying an imperial city would not help but he would punish the garrison for their betrayal by executing them all.

Following this example the other cities surrendered, it was a victory for Tiberius was he had lost time, as by the end of the siege Heraclonas had mustered a considerable force and it seemed like he was ready to fight back for the throne, the Heraclian civil war was not over.

Last edited:
Battle of Sardis
When Tiberius had taken over the most the European territories, most cities of Greece surrendered with few exceptions, still he would deal with them later for now the new self-proclaimed emperor would march to the his rightful capital .

As he moved to Constantinople, the people loyal to him opened the gates and under pressure the Patriarch Constantine III declared Tiberius the new emperor, with the tittle he sent the forces to subdue Greece, as he prepared his forces for the upcoming conflict with Heraclonas, he also talks with his surviving brothers who shun him due to what he was doing, he would any one for such insolence but he was doing this for them , so he just sent them in to house arrest in the imperial palace.

Another 2 weeks passed and most of Greece had fallen to him, by this point scouts told him that his long lost younger brother was seen in the east of Anatolia, Heraclonas under the suggestion of John sent scouts and a vanguard of 4000 these where caught not far from Constantinople and where destroyed , this filled Tiberius with confidence saying :

“It’s true he fool has bravery yes, but what has that given him aside from dead men that later results in him committing actions that humiliate himself and names of our ancestors”.

Still Heraclonas was marching west to reclaim his throne, Tiberius overconfident do to his first victory and due to him Destroying the scouting party and vanguard so against his advisors and his Armenian general he left Constantinople with 20 000 against his brothers 25 000 leaving 5000 to guard Constantinople before he left he declared his son co emperor confirming that he was sure of his victory that he was already thinking about his succession.

Both armies met near Sardis, Tiberius force was mostly from the thematic armies of the frontier against Bulgaria and some men from Thrace and Greece, while Heraclonas force was mostly from Anatolia with contingents from Armenia and Syria.
Tiberius had arranged his army in the typical three divisions, each in two lines, with the cavalry in the front, Heraclonas had a similar composure for his army .

As Heraclonas did not have a significant advantage in troops so John chose a defensive strategy

Thus His brother Charged and Heraclonas force was pushed back despite fierce resistance from the Anatolians and armenains

The forces of tiberuis began to push so far that Heraclonas regular guard where being killed while the protathignators and the emperor himself slayed any unfortunate soul how came to harm them.

Still, Tiberius victory seemed certain, for his wings began to envelop Heraclonas force in the center in the center. Realizing his position and despairing in the face of defeat at first resolved to attempt an all or nothing attack on Tiberius position ,he and his guard charged pushing into his brothers centered causing them to fall back as Heraclonas and his protathignators killed many , but it was not enough and seeing the risk of being enveloped , the emperor began to retreat , seeing this Vahram ordered a full charge as Heraclonas army began to fall back , and it seemed that Tiberius victory had been secured.

In reality it was rouse as Theoktistos came forth from his hiding spot in a grove with 4000 men to attack .

This confused Tiberius force and threw it into chaos, seeing this John decided to counter-attack, the charge of the Anatolians broke the center what and the cataphracts rode down Tiberius force, the Anatolians and Armenians began to shout loudly to cause more panic and confusion.

Despite the attempts of Tiberius and Vahram to rally their forces, this only led to the death of Vahram as enemy infantry caught and slain him, that was the last straw , and Tiberius fled ,with their general dead and their emperor fleeing , the army broke and fled, as other units were killed by Heraclonas cataphracts , despite seeing the utter destruction John did not chase them for long as he worried that there might fall in to an ambush , Still the ascendant Esau had been humbled by his brother .

Tiberius now battered and defeated s fled to Constantinople with survivors of his army awaiting the investable arrival of Heraclonas.