Hail, Britannia: A New History

Yay the Hail Britannia TL is back.

Ok being serious, going by the maps stuff I assume that the main difference between this TL and the last version is a few of the more eye in sky events didn’t happen and this is supposed to be a more realistic TL.

I have several questions:

How powerful is the Alliance of Regions (if it still exists) in this TL given that the removal of some Mark 1 UE territory will have lessened the support (no Westrailian chapter if Westrailian is already independent) but semi Independence of several of the historical Anglo Dominions into the Commonwealth does give them a way forward?

Are there any parties within the Imperial Commonwealth looking to do Full Union into the UE in a similar vein to OTL New Zealand (the rise of the intercontinental travel, trade and communications made London a lot closer to Wellington in the 20th century compared to the 19th in OTL, I am imagine it is doubly so in the 21st century Hail Britannia TL with the Internet and UE North American territories on top that)?

Can we have map of the UE at its full extent so we can see what territories left both the UE and the Imperial Commonwealth/Commonwealth of Nations (mostly curious about the Raj and the Africa colonies did the Cape to Cario railway happen here if so does it still run in this TL)?

For nations the left both forms of Commonwealth do they have any levels of agreement with the UE and its Commonwealth (Trade, Monetary, etc)?

Could we have a map of world Timezones and Currency disposition if possible in the future?

Given there is no EU in this TL version is there a EEC or common travel agreement like in the previous TL?

Will there be any Stargate Side Posts as I did enjoy them with the last TL?

Great to see Patagonia, the distinction between Zaire and the Kongo, the Two Sicilies, Prussia, Turkestan, Tibet, an Indus centred India. Would also love to know more about Norden, Netherlands Nusantara, Morocco, Nigeria and the GEACS.
I also like the Indus centric India. Although I understand the geo-historical basic reasons behind it, it irks me that in OTL India is named after a river that mainly flows through a different country.

(Bearing in mind I don't know much about the pre-reboot series) Presumably, the population dynamic of the United Empire is demographically centred on Northern America. How does this aeffect the culture of the country and its citizens' perception of said culture? I.e. the 'american' version of English would be the predominant form of the English language, and British Isles English would technically be a minority... Whichever branch of Christianity is the majority in 'america' would probably also be the majority/plurality in the Empire as a whole,, stuff like that.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
If there was no Second Empire, is France ruled by the Bourbons? (Either the Legitimists or Orleanists)
In the original thread I remember the Orleanists being the French monarchs. However, it could be quite interesting if the legitimist line of the Bourbons continued somehow.

France is still ruled by the Bourbons in the Orleanist line. The Legitimist line does continue elsewhere.

Did the Boers set up their own monarch? Or did they import one?

Imported.

Is there basis for an identity or significant language use in Manchuria or are they doomed to unite with China/ Japan?
Is there an Uighur community in West China and if so, does Turkestan aiming to take those territories?
Is Pontus a Hellenic speaking country?
Is there/ has there ever been an aim for a Caribbean integration?
Are there any countries with non clear forms of government (such as hereditary presidency/ republic where titles may be used/ elective regency/ monarchy without nobility)?
Do you have a list of official, long state names?
Any countries entertaining the idea of changing name/ form of government/ flags?

• There has certainly been an effort to revive the Manchu language and identity. The concept of the dynastic cycle is a strong part here, with many in Manchuria seeking reunification with China (either under the Qing or the Xian). Manchurian national identity is very similar to the OTL situation in Taiwan.
  • Yes there is a substantial Uyghur population in Western China. But also note that the territory around Kashgar is part of Turkestan.
  • Yep, Pontus a majority Greek-speaking country.
  • Not really. Cuba, Santo Domingo and Puerto Rico were historically united, and now collaborate on a cultural level. The Haitis have been divided and reunified several times. But there is no mainstream push for Caribbean integration.
  • Kurdistan and the Alawite Republic spring to mind as de facto hereditary republics. Germany and Italy both have subnational monarchies, so aristocratic titles are still in use, while in Serbia it has historically been an "aristocratic republic". Pontus is an elective regency. Ecuador and Venezuela are both monarchies without nobilities.
  • Yes, but still very much a work in progress.
  • That is an interesting one... I honestly haven't really given that much thought. There are a few countries that still use a British Ensign flag, so they are probably looking to change. Venezuela has chopped and changed forms of governments quite a few times, so it's never a long term guarantee. Nicaragua could ditch the monarchy.

Yay the Hail Britannia TL is back.

Ok being serious, going by the maps stuff I assume that the main difference between this TL and the last version is a few of the more eye in sky events didn’t happen and this is supposed to be a more realistic TL.

Yes indeed.

I have several questions:

How powerful is the Alliance of Regions (if it still exists) in this TL given that the removal of some Mark 1 UE territory will have lessened the support (no Westrailian chapter if Westrailian is already independent) but semi Independence of several of the historical Anglo Dominions into the Commonwealth does give them a way forward?

So the member parties of the Alliance of Regions are all from either the non-English speaking parts of the UE or the Celtic nations. Weaker than V1 in some ways, but yes the idea of the Imperial Commonwealth does offer a way forward, however that is itself fraught with problems as London has made clear that any newly independent country would not automatically be an IC member (which helps Australia too with its own secessionist movements).

Are there any parties within the Imperial Commonwealth looking to do Full Union into the UE in a similar vein to OTL New Zealand (the rise of the intercontinental travel, trade and communications made London a lot closer to Wellington in the 20th century compared to the 19th in OTL, I am imagine it is doubly so in the 21st century Hail Britannia TL with the Internet and UE North American territories on top that)?

No not really. There are small movements in some of the parts of the Imperial Commonwealth, but really the IC offers the best of both worlds - political independence with British protection.

Can we have map of the UE at its full extent so we can see what territories left both the UE and the Imperial Commonwealth/Commonwealth of Nations (mostly curious about the Raj and the Africa colonies did the Cape to Cario railway happen here if so does it still run in this TL)?

The Community of Nations map is largely identically to the British colonial empire at its height, excluding Egypt, Kordofan, Darfur, the UGE, Kuwait and Arabia

For nations the left both forms of Commonwealth do they have any levels of agreement with the UE and its Commonwealth (Trade, Monetary, etc)?

Not particularly. There aren't any pan-Community level organisations/agreements.

Could we have a map of world Timezones and Currency disposition if possible in the future?

A work in progress. Timezones is difficult on how to display, given the need to convert between projections. Not sure what you mean by currency disposition?

Given there is no EU in this TL version is there a EEC or common travel agreement like in the previous TL?

There is no EEC per say. Europe is largely divided between the Latin Monetary Union and the Zollverein, with some joint agreements which likely includes a form of visa-free travel agreement.

Will there be any Stargate Side Posts as I did enjoy them with the last TL?

Possibly, but there are no plans to do so at present.

I also like the Indus centric India. Although I understand the geo-historical basic reasons behind it, it irks me that in OTL India is named after a river that mainly flows through a different country.

(Bearing in mind I don't know much about the pre-reboot series) Presumably, the population dynamic of the United Empire is demographically centred on Northern America. How does this aeffect the culture of the country and its citizens' perception of said culture? I.e. the 'american' version of English would be the predominant form of the English language, and British Isles English would technically be a minority... Whichever branch of Christianity is the majority in 'america' would probably also be the majority/plurality in the Empire as a whole,, stuff like that.

Yes, the United Empire is demographically dominated by North American influences. The OTL Mid-Atlantic accent is the predominant accent, but British English spelling remains dominant. Yes the British Isles English accents and dialects would be minoirities. I did a bit of research on religions for V1, and basically Anglicanism remains the majority/plurality Christian religion within the Empire as a whole.

Is Prussia a kingdom? What is its relations with norden, germany, austrobohemia and poland?
Prussia is indeed a kingdom, and it is still ruled by the House of Hohenzollern.

Yes Prussia is a kingdom. Prussia has generally positive relations with Norden and Austria-Bohemia, but its relations with Germany are somewhat strained over the whole Pan-German unification movement. Relations with Poland have strengthened in the 21st century, and are much closer than previously, however they are still strained by a troubled history and the fact that Poland has taken on a leading role in the Intermarium and the defence of Eastern Europe, while Prussia has been able to build its economy and military to be a leading European power again.

Are the internal boundaries of North America still the same, or have some of the Dominions been altered or changed since the original?

There are quite a few alterations and changes to the internal boundaries of North America.

Last edited:
A work in progress. Timezones is difficult on how to display, given the need to convert between projections. Not sure what you mean by currency disposition?
Basically the OTL Eurozone Sterlingzone, or Dollarzone but for this TL. I would assume Sterling would be the Standard base currency especially if it Decimalises a lot earlier.

Also I noticed you didn’t answer my question on the Cape to Cario Railway did it exist in this TL and if it did what were effects and is it still in use?

Yes Prussia is a kingdom. Prussia has generally positive relations with Norden and Austria-Bohemia, but its relations with Germany are somewhat strained over the whole Pan-German unification movement. Relations with Poland have strengthened in the 21st century, and are much closer than previously, however they are still strained by a troubled history and the fact that Poland has taken on a leading role in the Intermarium and the defence of Eastern Europe, while Prussia has been able to build its economy and military to be a leading European power again.
Fascinating. There is no thoughts of it joining the Intermarium itself? How is the corridor to East Prussia handled? Passport free or special crossings or somesuch? How did it lose all of upper silesia?

Is Norden a monarchy? If so is there one monarch ruling all thrones or is it federal? If so which countrys monarch takes precedence?

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Can't wait to see how the UE is set up in this version

Thanks! I'm excited to share it!

As a Venezuelan, guess y'all installed me in my rightful place as monarch 😉

:)

Basically the OTL Eurozone Sterlingzone, or Dollarzone but for this TL. I would assume Sterling would be the Standard base currency especially if it Decimalises a lot earlier.

Ah I see. The Sterling area exists. The Latin Monetary Union, whilst not on the same level as the OTL EU, has each member currency pegged to the French Union franc - which is the common currency of the French Union. The Lahore Treaty Organisation is in the process of adopting a common currency, while the GEACS has its member currencys pegged to the Japanese yen.

Also I noticed you didn’t answer my question on the Cape to Cario Railway did it exist in this TL and if it did what were effects and is it still in use?

Apologies I missed that - yes the Cape to Cairo Railway exists ITTL, and a major consquence is that much of East and Southern Africa now uses the Cape gauge railway. A bit like the Orient Express, the Cape-to-Cairo Railway became a luxury long-distance passenger train service, and was never particularly successful at freight or other uses. It still runs to this day, but given the conflicts in Equatoria and Kordofan, it's northern stretch is less popular.

Fascinating. There is no thoughts of it joining the Intermarium itself? How is the corridor to East Prussia handled? Passport free or special crossings or somesuch? How did it lose all of upper silesia?

It is a permanent observer, but any sort of moves to join Intermarium would require Prussia to adopt a neutral international policy and would affect their leadership of the Zollverein and the European Defence Community. As mentioned earlier, there is a form of visa-free travel agreement between most European countries. Prussia lost Upper Silesia to Poland during the conflicts of the early 20th century.

Is Norden a monarchy? If so is there one monarch ruling all thrones or is it federal? If so which countrys monarch takes precedence?

Norden is a federal monarchy like Malaysia, with the monarchs of each constituent country rotating as ceremonial head of the federation.

Not to be pedantic, but Roméika is only vaguely mutually intelligible with Modern Greek. Pontic Greeks being/identifying as "Greek" is a rather contemporary occurrence.

Oh completely. Here Pontus very much had it's Pontic Greekness encouraged throughtout the 20th century, until it declared independence, and since then it has tried to develop closer political and cultural relations with Greece. I suppose the best explanation might be that Greek is the official language, but Pontic Greek or Romeika is the national language. With Greece, Cyprus and Pontus being Greek-speaking countries in the same way that Spain, Portugal and Romania are all Romance-speaking countries.

@LeinadB93 ! Can't wait! Very happy that at least austria-Bohemia survived with the habsburgs.! You're amazing!

Can't wait to see more! including the bonapartes!

2024-Hail-Britannia-World-Map-Infographics.png
When the United Empire is labeled as a country that is "abolitionist-in-law (with exceptions)" regarding the death penalty, what does that mean? Does it mean that while most crimes don't carry the penalty (including murder), it is still applicable for something like, say, high treason? Or is it more of a reference to how the UK to this day has these quirky laws nobody bothered to repeal (such as, for example, entering the Houses of Parliament in a full suit of armor is allegedly punishable by death to this day)?

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
When the United Empire is labeled as a country that is "abolitionist-in-law (with exceptions)" regarding the death penalty, what does that mean? Does it mean that while most crimes don't carry the penalty (including murder), it is still applicable for something like, say, high treason? Or is it more of a reference to how the UK to this day has these quirky laws nobody bothered to repeal (such as, for example, entering the Houses of Parliament in a full suit of armor is allegedly punishable by death to this day)?

So the death peanlty is prohibited by law in the civil justice system and so currently the death penalty may be applicable only for military offenses such as treason, murder, genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes, and terrorism during wartime. However the last sentence would have been middle of the 20th century.

Haha I didn't actually know about the suit of armour statute, so that is an interesting one!

Terrific! Thank you for replying! Super intrigued, i have several more questions in response but I think I will hold my horses for a bit! X) very interesting worldbuilding!

You are most welcome :D thank you so much!!