Hail, Britannia: A New History

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Was Austria the original ruler of all the Mandates, or did other countries rule them?

Austria ruled Cyrenaica and Mauretania. Kamerun and Tanganyika were both Prussian colonies.

1. Are there any countries that have the Portuguese monarch as their head of state besides Portugal itself?
  2. Does the Canary Islands have the British Emperor as their monarch?
  3. Did Muhammad V of Morocco become King earlier than in OTL?

1. Luanda still recognises the Portuguese monarch as head of state, but there is a planned referendum on becoming a republic.
  2. Yes it does.
  3. Yes he took the title of King in 1947.

Two things got me on the (former) Portuguese Africa here:

First, that Cape Verde and São Tomé and Princípe are still standing on the dominions of Portugal, but every single territory into the continental Africa but Mazagan achieved his independence. That's a interesting development on my vision. Second, it's that brokered Angola dominion - that originally and I had to make this reference - it's a good solution to comprehend a solution for Cabinda and, by the way, for the V1 Benguela question (that entered as a Brazilian viceroyalty).

Anyway, another great piece of work, @LeinadB93. Keep going! :D

Thanks :D yes Portugal still holds the two archipelagos - they are autonomous regions similar to Madeira and the Azores - as is the city of Mazagan. Yeah I think this version of Angola makes more sense.

Borders so familiar to OTL... plus ça change. I am not ignorant, though, of that interests of colonial powers would probably not diverge drastically from OTL by the 19th century, leading to such similar borders.

What interests me, however, is Stellaland. I assumed it was part of British Africa like all its neighbors that simply went rouge presumably because they disagreed with London over whether Black people deserve basic rights, à la OTL Rhodesia. This, however, is clearly not the case since it is shown to have been independent from the Empire the whole time. So in that case, what are they?

Indeed. I've tried not to use OTL colonial borders, but there are a couple of overlaps.

So Stellaland is interesting... provisionally the Rensburg Voortrekker expedition goes west instead of east, surviving and founding Rensburg and Stellaland. It survives the Boer Wars as an independent republic, and although it is de facto a British protectorate it is never officially part of the British Empire (similar to Sassandra). Many Boers emigrate there from South Africa and Transvaal, as it is seen as a bastion of White Boer culture. Yes definitely like OTL Rhodesia.

Oh, also, is Greek Cyrenaica still a mandate, or has it been integrated into Greece more since then?

Cyrenaica has been integrated into Greece proper, although it has significant autonomy (along with Crete, Ionia and Mount Athos).

Looks amazing!

Happy Easter and May God bless you!

And the same to you!

Hmm... possibly it remains Bavarian as there is no need for the Salzburg-Wurzburg swap for the Tuscan Habsburgs.
I suppose this is the most likely. I'm wondering what happens to Ansbach ultimately though. Bavaria had acquired it during the Schönbrunn treaty as compensation for giving up Berg. I suppose it can be reversed or Prussia could accept the loss of Ansbach sans Bayreuth and take Berg in its place.

Decolonisation-of-Africa.png
Very nice update, what happened to the Danish possessions in Africa ittl?

One thing I forgot to mention way back when, is that it's pet peeve of mine when maps like the bottom-right minimap here are referred to as maps of LGBT rights, when they make zero mention of the T in any way, shape, or form. While some inferences can be made, trans rights are honestly a complex enough subject that they deserve a map of their own, rather than pretending that gay marriage is the end-all-be-all (For example: did you know that in OTL Iran, it is legal to gender transition?). So, what's the status of trans rights across the world of Hail, Britannia: A New History?

One thing I forgot to mention way back when, is that it's pet peeve of mine when maps like the bottom-right minimap here are referred to as maps of LGBT rights, when they make zero mention of the T in any way, shape, or form. While some inferences can be made, trans rights are honestly a complex enough subject that they deserve a map of their own, rather than pretending that gay marriage is the end-all-be-all (For example: did you know that in OTL Iran, it is legal to gender transition?). So, what's the status of trans rights across the world of Hail, Britannia: A New History?
Even the idea that Gay marriage is better/implies a higher form of acceptance than civil unions is very rooted in IRL, it's extremely easy to imagine an ATL where Marriage in the west are purely religious and symbolical with most homosexual couple rejecting it in favour of the more common and actually legaly-binding civil union. And that's not going into the vast diversities of Familial and gender/sex systems that exists that could replace our way of conceiving these.

Last edited:
IIRC transition in Iran is for gay men whose other option is prison.

Even the idea that Gay marriage is better/implies a higher form of acceptance than civil unions is very rooted in IRL, it's extremely easy to imagine an ATL where Marriage in the west are purely religious and symbolical with most homosexual couple rejecting it in favour of the more common and actually legaly-binding civil union. And that's not going into the vast diversities of Familial and gender/sex systems that exists that could replace our way of conceiving these.
Isn't that the case in OTL's Israel?

Nah, Religious marriage is the norm there, There are no domestic civil unions (or even civil marriage) and common law statute/marriage are a minority (less than 100,000 legaly binding statutes, less than 5% of couples). It's not the same societal circumstances to what I was postulating (which is also just one hypothetical). LGBT israeli generally are in support of gay marriage afaik.

Last edited:
Nah, Religious marriage is the norm there, There is no domestic civil unions (or even civil marriage) and common law statute/marriage are a minority (less than 100,000 legaly binding statutes, less than 5% of couples). It's not the same societal circumstances to what I was postulating (which is also just one hypothetical). LGBT israeli generally are in support of gay marriage afaik.
Ah, I see. I knew that marriage was purely religious in Israel, but I'd thought there was some sort of secular Civil Union. TBH I think marriage should be solely or primarily religious, but that's not a topic for this thread.

IIRC there are no secular marriages in Israel but they do recognize marriage licenses issued abroad. There was a case during the pandemic where a same-sex couple got married over Zoom with an officiant located in Utah and the Israeli Supreme Court ruled that the marriage was valid in Israel.