Gurkani Alam

And disunited China... that seems to be the norm in any of your works.... how cliche... ;) Other then that, good work.And I always bitch about the former anyways, so dont take that too serious :D

On the contrary, only Gurkani Alam and Cliveless World have disunited Chinas. In Puritan World it is united, if weak, and in Monarchy World it is one of the three great powers of the world. So there! :p

Thande

Donor
I am of the opinion that there are only two ways to make China interesting to a mainstream audience: Balkanise, or wank. Tony used the first in this TL and in Cliveless World, the second in Monarchy World, and the China in Puritan World was basically just in the background. It's hard to make a continuous succession of Qing emperors interesting if nothing much happens on the borders.

Susano

Banned
I am of the opinion that there are only two ways to make China interesting to a mainstream audience: Balkanise, or wank. Tony used the first in this TL and in Cliveless World, the second in Monarchy World, and the China in Puritan World was basically just in the background. It's hard to make a continuous succession of Qing emperors interesting if nothing much happens on the borders.

Quing is unintersting, anyways. Maybe Im just projecting the modern image of "they failed" on them, but still - rather Ming, pseudo-Ming-again or a new dynasty. However, IMO, the problem with China is something else: If you make it successful, it is TOO successful. If it has economcial sucess, it has economcial success with just too many millions of people. And I personally dislike too large empires (and yes, that includes potential German Empires, like medieval uber-HRE). So, either indeed you wank it, but that will have global consequences if a potential supeprower like China is wanked, or it is balkanised or like IOTL obscured by funny ideologies. But since balkanisation is such a cliche (somehow the Chinese warlord time of the 20th century must have imprinted itself onw estern minds) I would prefer the third option, no matter how boring that is... hey, boring China at leats means one does not need to care too much about it, heh.

And okay, okay, youre right, Tony. But the other two points still stand :p

Faeelin

Banned

Hrmmf.

No respect, I tells ya.

And it's updated again to take account of people's suggestions, comments and observations, and to add one or two things I've thought of in the meantime too. Enjoy!

Because as far as I can see the last name you posted was the Sarekat Negara-negara Jawani (Union of Civilized States). :confused: And which I like more in any case.

Even my Interference Tl is woefully inadequate in China, as of now. I should humbly ask for Hendrik's help in fleshing out something significant.

Is the huge usage of renewable energy tech plausible, given the intermittency of wind and geographically-limited availability of hydro? Wouldn't the Mughals be more likely to use steam engines to drive their generators as soon as they have access to steam engine technology?

Last edited:
It's a fair point, but they do have earlier battery technology too to store power and smooth out the supply. Also, there are high populations in the better-watered areas so hydro power will be preferentially adopted there; wind power maybe less so though.

There will be some use of steam generators, but in general I just like the idea of electrical technology taking a different route to OTL...

It's a fair point, but they do have earlier battery technology too to store power and smooth out the supply. Also, there are high populations in the better-watered areas so hydro power will be preferentially adopted there; wind power maybe less so though.

There will be some use of steam generators, but in general I just like the idea of electrical technology taking a different route to OTL...

So out of Curiosity, will you be updating your TLs to 2010 or beyond?

Not planning to at present; too much other stuff on my plate for me to have the time or desire to spend time on things that are essentially finished, short of correcting typos and so on. Sorry!

Wow, I only recently discovered this. The Holy Russian Empire looks really cool. In my mind, they stole the show from the Mughals. I have a thing for theocracies and giant eurasian empires.

But they hold Anatolia but not Jerusalem?

Wow, I only recently discovered this. The Holy Russian Empire looks really cool. In my mind, they stole the show from the Mughals. I have a thing for theocracies and giant eurasian empires.

But they hold Anatolia but not Jerusalem?

Which isn't even as odd as the fact that the Ottomans still own Greece but not Anatolia.

Hey, seeing as Puritan World and Gurkani Alam have PODs only five years separate from one another... anyone want to try their hand at a fusion of the two? :D

When I brought up your timeline on the Depleted Cranium blog they claimed it was impossible - their logic was "you can't build practical electric motors and generators without thin steel plates, and you can't make thin steel plates without high-pressure steam power". There seemed to be an awful lot of technological determinism there...

They've obviously not actually read the TL, in particular the bits where I make sweeping statements like 'technology is about a generation more advanced than in OTL'. The technologies that you listed on the blog are the highlights to give a comparison to OTL; obviously for them to work there are the whole raft of supporting tecnologies in the background that facilitate them, but the TL would not be that interesting if I detailed every little change in the development of science and technology to the point that it outweighed everything else!