Gone The New Hope

Yesterday a sullen Kennedy announced from his recovery room that due to poor health he would be dropping out of the race to endorse Gov. Jerry Brown, saying that, 'Gov. Brown has the passion of youth and the wisdom of age, a combination that very well served my brother Jack and through him our national well being during the Cuban Missile Crisis. I am reminded of my late brothers when I see Jerry Brown. I am confident that he is the candidate most fit to lead our great Party and our even greater nation in repairing the damage done to both of them - in their names - by the current administration. Gov. Jerry Brown is the Ted Kennedy you're really looking for...'

I am Governor Jerry Brown
My aura smiles
And never frowns
Soon I will be president...
California Uber Alles
California Uber Alles
Uber Alles California
Uber Alles California

With both Jerry and Ronald, that is the natural consequences of the campaing, regarthless who won, Dead Kennedys will have a field day

First things first. Welcome back, and well-done on the double update! I can only imagine how exhausting all that must have been to write. I've already shared my comments on The Rebellion Strikes Back with you privately, so I'll focus more on the political post. I can tell that you've written it with vultan's help, because I definitely see one of the ideas he was sharing with me in the past for a timeline of his which never quite got off the ground has found a new home here instead ;)

We really had Carter on the ropes. On the Republican side, Bush had a slight bump in March, coming in second to Anderson in Massachusetts and third behind Reagan in Vermont. John Anderson won them both. It was beginning to seem like Gov. Brown would be going up against him once we beat Carter. Meanwhile, Carter refused to bow out and started campaigning. He took a harder stance on Iran, was seen in public jogging to prove his heart attack was minor. It was lucky for Jerry because had he declined to run for reelection Fritz would've started his own campaign and that could have been a threat. Jerry won Vermont and Massachusetts pretty handily, over three fourths of the vote in both.

Then the Caper went public. It was a huge public relations coup for Solo United, but it was a tragedy for Carter because he could no longer negotiate. Luckily, the Iranians rattled sabers and little else, but when Operation Eagle Claw proved to be an unmitigated disaster Carter stopped running and started praying. There's always been speculation about the timing of the Canadian Caper leak. Right before the Oscars and all. We certainly had nothing to do with that, but it's difficult to believe I know. Anyway, Carter was dead in the water. Gov. Jerry Brown was going to the convention by spring.”
I definitely see a third-party spoiler candidate emerging if Brown and Anderson wind up carrying the torch for their respective parties. They're too similar (and too liberal).

The Admiral Hook said:
BIG NIGHT FOR 'COVERT' MEGACORPS:

After all the press surrounding Solo United's involvement in what has been called the 'Canadian Caper' it was easy to predict who the winners would be. Francis Coppola's Apocalypse Now left with statues for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Adapted Screenplay, while the film also won for Best Supporting Actor (Robert Duvall), Best Sound Mixing, Best Cinematography, and Best Film Editing. Winning seven out of eight nominated, Coppola now has the maximum amount of hype (and pressure) imaginable for his upcoming Batman film starring Harrison Ford. Nominated for nine awards and leaving with two (Best Actor Dustin Hoffman and Best Supporting Actress Meryl Streep) was Kramer vs. Kramer. Sally Field surprised no one with her Best Actress win for Norma Rae, and Woody Allen also unshockingly won Best Original Screenplay for Manhattan.

Jerry Goldsmith won Best Original Score for Star Trek: The Motion Picture and The Muppet Movie was honored with Best Original Song (The Rainbow Connection). Further proof that the Science Fiction Epic is here to stay Ridley Scott's Alien won both Best Art Direction and Best Visual Effects. Scott is currently working on an adaptation of Frank Herbert's Dune series. Spielberg's Moonraker was strangely absent from most ballots in spite of the positive box office returns and reviews it received. Elvis Presley's chart topping rendition of the film's theme (written by John Barry and featuring David Bowie) was nominated in the Song category...”
IOTL, the awards given out went to...

Best Picture: Kramer vs. Kramer
Best Director: Robert Benton, Kramer vs. Kramer
Best Original Screenplay: Breaking Away (Steve Tesich)
Best Adapted Screenplay: Kramer vs. Kramer (Robert Benton)
Best Supporting Actor: Melvyn Douglas, Being There
Best Original Score: A Little Romance (Georges Delerue)
Best Original Song: "It Goes Like It Goes" from Norma Rae (Music by David Shire and Lyrics by Norman Gimbel)
Best Film Editing: All That Jazz (Alan Heim)

All other winners mentioned were as IOTL. All those who did not win IOTL were in fact nominated in their respective categories. I'm very pleased with most of the changes, as I'm sure many of us are, as I strongly suspect was the point; these are all retrospectively-preferred choices (particularly for Score and Song). The only change you didn't make which surprised me was subbing in Peter Sellers for Dustin Hoffman (Sellers never won IOTL, not even for Dr. Strangelove, whereas Hoffman would later win for Rain Man).

The Admiral Hook said:

THE REBELLION STRIKES BACK RELEASED NATIONWIDE:

$15,951,418 Opening weekend shatters previous records...
IOTL, the film grossed "only" grossed $10,840,307 on its opening weekend (in limited release), still a very tidy sum for the era. And this is back when movies still had "legs" (because the home video industry was in its relative infancy), so this movie is going to be massive. I look forward to seeing just how massive...

Dole said that in February, and March is the next month. So why did he do the unneeded correction?

Ya know, sometimes for realism I prefer to have people who would be a little less eloquent in their situation stumble or stutter a bit. It happens in real life but rarely in TLs.

I listen to the people I quote (which is why I try not to quote too many people) while I quote them. I mimic their speech in my own speech and develop a voice for them that I can use, sometimes to great effect.

Coppola is frequently used because he tends to go on a bit, and at times I write in a similar way to his rambling speech.

Dole is merely trying to get his thoughts together here, and succeeds.

Forgive me for asking but is this the ONLY part of those updates you read?

The reason I ask is, if you did read the whole thing and only had a problem with that one line... I have succeeded beyond my wildest dreams. If not, and you stopped after reading that line; would you mind reading some more? It's not all that bad... :D

Awesome stuff! I'm liking how the entertainment world is starting to affect the political world here.

I had a good helper! I'm having fun with it, though. I know you wanted a different primary season than what I'm going for, but I'm glad you're still interested. Once again, thanks for all of your help. Maybe I can help you rewrite The Power and the Glitter someday... ; )

I am Governor Jerry Brown
My aura smiles
And never frowns
Soon I will be president...
California Uber Alles
California Uber Alles
Uber Alles California
Uber Alles California

With both Jerry and Ronald, that is the natural consequences of the campaing, regarthless who won, Dead Kennedys will have a field day

Jerry, Ronald, and John are all doing extremely well, aren't they?

Without spoiling too much, it's time to begin looking to Vice Presidential picks. 1980 will be a massive turning point in American political thought and theater.

First things first. Welcome back, and well-done on the double update! I can only imagine how exhausting all that must have been to write. I've already shared my comments on The Rebellion Strikes Back with you privately, so I'll focus more on the political post. I can tell that you've written it with vultan's help, because I definitely see one of the ideas he was sharing with me in the past for a timeline of his which never quite got off the ground has found a new home here instead ;)

I definitely see a third-party spoiler candidate emerging if Brown and Anderson wind up carrying the torch for their respective parties. They're too similar (and too liberal).

IOTL, the awards given out went to...

Best Picture: Kramer vs. Kramer
Best Director: Robert Benton, Kramer vs. Kramer
Best Original Screenplay: Breaking Away (Steve Tesich)
Best Adapted Screenplay: Kramer vs. Kramer (Robert Benton)
Best Supporting Actor: Melvyn Douglas, Being There
Best Original Score: A Little Romance (Georges Delerue)
Best Original Song: "It Goes Like It Goes" from Norma Rae (Music by David Shire and Lyrics by Norman Gimbel)
Best Film Editing: All That Jazz (Alan Heim)

All other winners mentioned were as IOTL. All those who did not win IOTL were in fact nominated in their respective categories. I'm very pleased with most of the changes, as I'm sure many of us are, as I strongly suspect was the point; these are all retrospectively-preferred choices (particularly for Score and Song). The only change you didn't make which surprised me was subbing in Peter Sellers for Dustin Hoffman (Sellers never won IOTL, not even for Dr. Strangelove, whereas Hoffman would later win for Rain Man).

IOTL, the film grossed "only" grossed $10,840,307 on its opening weekend (in limited release), still a very tidy sum for the era. And this is back when movies still had "legs" (because the home video industry was in its relative infancy), so this movie is going to be massive. I look forward to seeing just how massive...

Thank you, friend! This one was a bear.

We got lucky when going over political ideas for this TL. Although I'm a libert-repub (and this would be the last chance for that to look attractive to voters of an ATL for decades) I've got a soft spot for certain political figures of the era, John Anderson, Ronald Regan, Jerry Brown, and Jack Kemp among them. I also have a severe dislike of Ted Kennedy and George Bush (but don't like to kill too many people in my TLs so I just got rid of them in less severe ways).

Vultan already had a lot of stuff preplanned for the aforementioned TL and they all kind of matched up with what I wanted. I got very lucky by working with Vultan on this. I've gone rogue a few times from the brief but brilliant synopsis Vultan sent, continue to consult him for his much needed advice, but plan to depart from some of his suggestions for the the distant future of this TL (while continuing to get his valued opinion), but I really could not have made a convincing story happen without his help.

Anderson really can't hope to kill Reagan's momentum, but he has become the stop-Reagan candidate as opposed to Bush (leaving Bush out of the running for Veep, following his disparaging remarks about Reagan). Obviously with such a weak response by Carter and with such a strong endorsement by Kennedy, Jerry Brown will be the Democratic nominee.

Also, Solo United's (albeit limited) involvement with the Canadian Caper hasn't been criticized so I guess that's a good sign. Vultan suggested it go public and I was worried it would put the surviving hostages in too much danger to handwave. Some of the hostages have died, but only a handful comparatively.

Unlike in Jesus Walks, there are enough survivors to still be a little hush hush about all the details, also there will be no U.S.-Soviet alliance. Still, it does have huge butterflies for Solo United and science fiction in general, as well as for Jerry Brown's career in the short term.

Thanks everyone for reading. Any other thoughts?

Forgive me for asking but is this the ONLY part of those updates you read?
Read the whole thing, and it's very good.

I had a few reservations about the droid that wanted to be human, but if he was originally a cyborg that explains it nicely.

Bumping this!

Thanks, partner!

Read the whole thing, and it's very good.

I had a few reservations about the droid that wanted to be human, but if he was originally a cyborg that explains it nicely.

Thanks so much. I've got some reservations myself about delving into the alt-EU here, but there are some characters (and plot points) that, like OTL, are only ever explained through loosely canonical literature and video games.

I could stick to the big characters' backstories in the EU and then allow you the freedom to delve into your own mind for the rest... kinda like Lucas himself.

Thanks as always for reading...

The hard work is very easy to see and the changes from OTL Empire Strikes Back are very interesting. I'm afraid I can't really add anything else, but I will be reading when the rest of the tale is told.

It's coming very soon.

Thanks for noticing and for the kind words. I have three quarters of the film written (there are four acts) but, like with any screenwriter, the climax resolution is tough. Particularly on a film like this with no beginning or ending and with so many new characters.

My take on the addition of so many new characters is that it's what EU and 20thCF would do in reality to compensate for the loss of an extremely main character. While 2-B4 is my own invention, Sate Pestage and the Emperor were of course in the original drafts.

There's one or two more surprise characters on their way for this film, but one of them (if I go through with it) won't be a major one.

There is one character introduced in the next chapter that is relatively major and a pretty big deal. The actor himself is offered a glorified cameo because Lucas is a huge fan of his work. Without giving too much away, think anti-Yoda. Han's Jedi training is split in this film (which is why the extra ten or fifteen minutes of runtime) and his first teacher is less than savory, giving Han the aborted Dark Side flirtation journey originally slated for Luke OTL.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks for reading!

Lee and McDiarmid in a earlier Star Wars film together......my god! i the universe just exploded.
:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

It gets... better. Thanks for reading!

Exceeds expectations.
2B4 is an asset.
And The Wookie kiss will be iconic.

In three brief sentences you've managed to edify my hard work rather nicely. Thanks. I sincerely hope I do not disappoint in the upcoming chapters...

...which will be very, very soon!

Keep your eyes peeled (or subscribe) because I'm hard at work on another monster update.

p.s.

I'm slowing down due to the size of the updates. I wouldn't want people to feel overwhelmed when trying to catch up. I may be writing faster than my loyal followers can comfortably read...

In the meantime, please blow me up with comments and inbox messages at your leisure, I'm having a lot of fun and have all you to thank for it.

-Mick

I'd like to take this opportunity to proudly announce that Vultan is now my co-writer for Gone The New Hope!

He went from adviser to valuable collaborator and I wanted him to be able to share in the credit for this TL.

Hard at work, expect an update this week.

Three cheers for Vultan!

My hard drive crashed and I lost a lot of detailed stuff.

So, please forgive me if in the future RSB is a little more paraphrased. Working on cooking something up for you, and apologies again for the long delay.

I have scraped together enough from memory to offer a preliminary synopsis of Acts II and III of The Rebellion Strikes Back.

Keep in mind a few things:

A. All the dialogue is paraphrased. The very Lucas-esque dialogue presented here is not canon in TTL's film. Instead it retains a sharper and more accessible Irvin Kershner edge.

B. This film is darker, deeper, and more action packed than OTL's film two. However, it is praised in the ATL for delivering such a dark action film without being bogged down in excessive exposition or causing battle fatigue.

C. What you are reading is subject to change when Vultan (my partner here) and Brainbin get back to me via PM. I may also do some editing based on what you, my faithful readers suggest.

Once this update is cemented, Act IV will be posted and then we can get on with the critical and financial reception of the film, with the 1980 Presidential Primaries (which are heating up!), and with additional films.

December of 1980 will be the last post for this thread. The eighties in this universe will be addressed in a separate sequel thread (which I may need some help titling!).

Gone The New Hope lives in the next update forthcoming in a matter of moments!

P.S.

How many of you are still reading? I think it should be all of you.

I have scraped together enough from memory to offer a preliminary synopsis of Acts II and III of The Rebellion Strikes Back.

Keep in mind a few things:

A. All the dialogue is paraphrased. The very Lucas-esque dialogue presented here is not canon in TTL's film. Instead it retains a sharper and more accessible Irvin Kershner edge.

B. This film is darker, deeper, and more action packed than OTL's film two. However, it is praised in the ATL for delivering such a dark action film without being bogged down in excessive exposition or causing battle fatigue.

C. What you are reading is subject to change when Vultan (my partner here) and Brainbin get back to me via PM. I may also do some editing based on what you, my faithful readers suggest.

Once this update is cemented, Act IV will be posted and then we can get on with the critical and financial reception of the film, with the 1980 Presidential Primaries (which are heating up!), and with additional films.

December of 1980 will be the last post for this thread. The eighties in this universe will be addressed in a separate sequel thread (which I may need some help titling!).

Gone The New Hope lives in the next update forthcoming in a matter of moments!

P.S.

How many of you are still reading? I think it should be all of you.
A title for an 80s based pop cultural TL? How about...Dirty Laundry! that's not taken is it?:D

Acts II and III of THE REBELLION STRIKES BACK!

ACT II:

Sate Pestage has brought bounty hunters to the Imperial Fleet to enlist their aid in the capture of the Rebel leaders. Boba Fett is mysteriously absent, notes Vader.

The Rebels escape the asteroid field by charging a Star Destroyer and hiding on its hull. Solo cleverly allows the Falcon to float away with the garbage from the larger ship, but is pursued by a bounty hunter in headwraps.

Meanwhile, the heroes discuss their next move. Leia insists on meeting up with the Rebel Fleet to prepare their assault on the shipyards of Had Abbadon, but Han and Lando agree that the safest place for her would be as far away from the Rebels as possible. Lando suggests that Leia accompany him to his homeworld of Bespin, while Toobeefor takes Han to their client on Ord Mantell. Leia consents but only after Han enlists Chewbacca as her bodyguard.

The Falcon lands on Ord Mantell where paradisiacal archipelagos serve as a retirement community for wealthy criminals and a hideout for their most favored grunts. A Mediterranean sun seems to ever be rising or setting, casting soft golden yellows on the matching red and white villas, taverns, and palaces of the roughest luxury retreat in the galaxy.

Han is bound with his hands behind his back by Lando - raising the ire and nearly invoking the rage of Chewbacca - while Toobeefor stands with his blunderbuss leveled at their hostage. Lando apologizes for the inconvenience but insists the precaution is necessary.

As Han steps away from the Falcon with Threepio trailing noisily behind (clumsily carrying luggage and being largely useless otherwise) Han turns to Leia’s direction on the ramp. Leia is crying at the sight of him being led away from her in bondage and Toobeefor is still pointing his weapon at Han’s head, increasing the discomfort of the scene. Chewbacca is holding Leia back but is clearly making up his mind as to whether or not he’s going to violently free his Commander.

Han entreats Chewie to take care of the Princess and a stout howl ensures Han that he will do his best. Leia goes to turn back into the ship but pauses, turning wet-eyed towards Han as the Ord Mantellian sun sets behind them, telling him she loves him.

Han replies: “I know.”

Lando nods to Toobeefor ominously and the droid nods back. Lando closes the Falcon’s ramp while Han backs away from all three of his loves, his eyes and Leia’s never parting until the ramp is closed and the Falcon takes off into the darkening yellow sky. The two droids and Solo march into the darkened but crowded alleyway bazars where Ugnaughts (the diminutive original denizens of Ord Mantell, now relegated to sustenance trinket bartering at best, and indentured servitude at worst by the organized criminal masters who now dominate the world) babble and shout at passers-by to advertise their wares. Threepio says awkwardly: “It may not be the most appropriate time for me to say this, Master Solo, but I too have grown quite fond of you…”

Back to the Imperial Fleet, Vader is accepting an apology for losing the Rebels… by Force choking yet another officer to death.

[The rest of Act II is concerned with Han, Toobeefor, and Threepio on Ord Mantell and Leia, Lando, and Chewbacca on Bespin.]

Bespin is a beautiful gas giant and the Cloud City – once a wartime cloning facility, now a converted Tibanna gas mining colony and burgeoning metropolis – is run by Chieftain Calrissian Kadar of the White Feather Clan, Lando’s clonefather (played by a makeup aged Billy Dee Williams).

Populated mostly by light colored aliens (greatly resembling tall and slender greys, it is later revealed in the expanded universe of Star Wars media that these were the Master Cloners of old who were robbed of their technology and their freedom after a battle with the White Feather Clan. The character said to be responsible for this conflict is believed to be possibly Toobeefor’s ancestor, his creator, or perhaps even Toobeefor himself as a cyborg. Also of note are the semi-reptilian flying stringray-like creatures used as transport by way of a twin-cockpit saddle fitting.) Cloud City is controlled by the White Feather Clan, something of a legitimate mafia family of wealthy clones who – while no longer engaged in much criminal activity per se – are clearly not to be trifled with.

Leia is wined, dined, and courted by Lando while she desperately tries to make contact both with Han and with the Rebel Fleet. She has a bad feeling about her current place of refuge and Chewbacca appears to agree. The Cheiftain is at first furious that Lando brought such infamous fugitives to his doorstep, but quickly attempts to make nice with his “guests” in a way that seems suspicious. Another character introduced is Lando Kadar’s clonesister, Nellith Kadar (played by Vonetta McGee in an identical costume to Lando/Boba Fett’s) who – much to Leia’s chagrin – shares some intimate history with Han Solo as inferred by Lando.

[Nellith Kadar will play the role both of Boba Fett since Lando cannot, and of a female foil for Leia. While the underlying tension between them does involve Han, the conflict shifts in Act IV - thereby passing the Bechdel test and opening the door for more female and minority characters in Star Wars.]

Meanwhile, on Ord Mantell Han Solo is introduced to his captor by being taken into the backroom of a smoky cantina (a disguised David Bowie makes a brief, blink-and-you-missed-it cameo in this scene as a Near-Human member of the cantina band but due to the success of his toy, his character becomes a fan favorite for further exploration in the expanded universe. The character resembles a cross between Ziggy and the Golbin King, but in the Star Wars Universe's dress, hair, and makeup).

We are led to believe at first that the figure in the shadows who hired Lando and Toobeefor to capture Solo and bring him to Ord Mantell is Obi-Wan Kenobi but when he rises and becomes clear it is (Toshiro Mifune in a glorified cameo as) Mace Wen-Du.

Wen-Du was a Near-Human Jedi who left the Order before the Dark Times and is now a (Rick from Casablanca style) cantina owner and something of a broken and reclusive addict-alcoholic. He explains to Solo that he knew Anakkin Solo, and has called him to Ord Mantell to begin his training. Han confesses that he never knew his own father and he has no interest in following in his footsteps or being trained as a Jedi, especially not under duress. Wen-Du is not giving him a choice, Han will become his tool for vengeance against Darth Vader or he will be sold to Jabba the Hutt.

Han begins to learn more as he trains in the ways of the Force (which is nearly too weak in him to be trained out) and practices with the vibrating katanas that Mace uses for training. Mace was a gray Jedi, a rogue, and he explains to Solo that the benefits of exploring the Dark Side of the Force are not to be ignored when attempting to understand the Force as a whole. He calls Obi-Wan Kenobi an idealistic old fool for not utilizing the full power of the "One Complete Force", but when Solo inquires about Yoda, Mace – although shocked, angry, and reticent to share his knowledge at first – admits that Yoda was a great warrior… once.

While Solo swordfights Toobeefor and simultaneously attempts to reflect the blasts of a remote Threepio has gone into the streets to buy supplies. He hears an R2 unit and goes deeper into a darkened alleyway where he is blasted to pieces.

Act III:

The Rebel Fleet, led by Captain Antilles is massing on Dantooine, a grassy world far enough away from Imperial eyes to provide a good temporary cover.

Meanwhile, Leia is reaching her breaking point on Bespin and Lando’s suspicious activity and constant come-ons, not to mention her discomfort with a confident warrior woman who may have once loved Han, has nearly brought her to the brink. Her only solace is Chewbacca who has become not just a guardian, but a very dear friend to her.

On Ord Mantell Solo has become something of a Dark Jedi, albeit a weak and irreverent one. Mace is a cruel taskmaster, but something more is bothering Han: he’s got a bad feeling about this place. He is growing stronger as his impatience with the situation grows.

Since Toobeefor’s discovery of Threepio in the market he has been attempting to repair the droid, but his lack of technological knowledge has made his progress slow. His distaste for the droid is voiced frequently, but this simply makes his new hobby of Threepio repair that much more curious.

Solo is now training directly against Mace who is encouraging him to use a combination of his anger and his control over it at once to lash back at him. Han’s had enough. He throws down his katana and turns to leave but Toobeefor blocks his way with his blunderbuss.

Han glares at the droid and then hears a lightsaber being ignited being his back; he turns to see Mace Wen-Du, red lightsaber in hand, preparing to duel. Threepio’s disembodied head is babbling on incessantly in the background for everyone to simply calm down and discuss the situation peacefully, but Toobeefor commands the droid to “Shut off.”

Han looks over at the table on which his father’s lightsaber lies and lifts his hand to it. It begins to tremble and Mace Wen-Du smiles. Solo struggles to Force lift the weapon into his hand while Mace paces towards him preparing to attack.

Suddenly, Toobeefor’s frame jolts and lights up with blue lightning. His weapon falls to the floor and then he himself falls revealing R2-D2 behind. Threepio cheers for his old counterpart but is of course unable to rush him with reunion. Mace lifts his saber to strike Han down just as Han’s saber flies into his hand. It is ignited just in time to stop Mace’s strike. A third lightsaber ignites off-screen, a blaster shot is fired, and a familiar voice warns: Leave that boy alone, Mace. He is no Jedi. Your quarrel is with me.

Obi-Wan Kenobi steps out of the hallway and into the room followed by the headwrapped bounty hunter – Dengar. The body of one of Mace’s guards falls to the floor in front of them.

Mace replies: With you, yes, Kenobi. And with him. With the Solos… with Vader.

Dengar goes to fire his blaster but the blaster is torn from his hands, shattered, and scattered across the floor by Wen-Du's Force prowess. Dengar is force pushed back into the hallway and Kenobi marches forward, lightsaber drawn at the ready. R2 quickly shovels the pieces of Threepio into a seemingly safe corner and the three Jedi now circle.

Through the exposition in their pre-fight dialogue one can deduce that Darth Vader, Anakkin Solo, and Obi-Wan Kenobi were responsible for Mace’s removal from the Order years before but further information will remain a mystery for this point in the film, as the lightsaber battle begins in earnest, with Mace Wen-Du turning fully to the Dark Side and unleashing his hatred against Kenobi and Solo.

Han performs admirably but Mace’s skill is unmatched and Solo is eventually thrown out a window and onto a ledge outside, rendering the smuggler turned Gray Jedi acolyte unconscious.

Wen-Du appears to battle Kenobi into a corner and knocks away his lightsaber. Just as he lifts his weapon to strike Kenobi down, the old Jedi Master smiles.

Mace Wen-Du: You had your chance to bring Vader to justice, now is my chance to put him to death without trial. Your narrow faith in the superiority of your precious Order is now your undoing, old friend.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: And your arrogance and hatred are now yours…

Mace is confused, but his face wrenches with pain. He turns to reveal both the arrow in his back, and the bowman who launched it: Toobeefor. As Mace struggles to regain his composure Kenobi force grabs his saber from the floor, only to be preempted in his assault by a blaster shot from the opposing window where Han Solo stands silhouetted by the setting sun.

Solo's blaster smokes from the blast that felled Wen-Du and he holsters it as Kenobi shakes his head at him. "So uncivilized..." he quips while Threepio praises R2 and Han Solo force snatches his lightsaber from the floor shrugging mischievously.

Han's limp to the exit while Obi-Wan collects the droids behind coincide with a screen wipe to the Final Act...

Can't wait until you put Act III up! :)

Thanks, partner. I gotta get it approved by you first!

Aw, Toshiro Mifune died...:p

I am also looking forward to see how this movie wraps up.

Well, Mace Wen-Du dies, yes. Toshir Mifune is alive and well.

And I'm ready to be rid of it. Rewriting a masterpiece and then pretending it does even better critically and financially is both harrowing and more than a little arrogant, but it's what we in the popular culture TL writing world do...

My main goal was to make the Star Wars universe bigger than in OTL in the vacuum of Luke. This film was going to be darker than OTL's ESB by default, but it needed to be filled with action.

With more money to spend on it and with none of the OTL shooting delays or setbacks (which really negatively affected Lucas) the film is a bit longer, a lot bigger, and a trillion times faster.

It's been a challenge (and the next update will almost certainly catch a little flak) but we're so close to getting back to the 1980 campaign, Solo United, musical butterflies, video games, and of course DUNE and RAIDERS!

Then there's BATMAN...

Thanks for reading!

Does no one have any problems with Acts II or III? I assumed there would be backlash with the amount of additional information the filmmakers felt was necessary in the wake of no Skywalker...