Gone The New Hope

I didn't catch the last one till Google it... Seems Waco might be less infamous.

So Jordan as a pitcher/baseball player since the begin? The cards might loved him.

Glad to hear from you!

That's certainly looking on the bright side...

Waco may be less infamous but Howell probably won't be.

As for Jordan, he has an even more interesting career(s) ahead of him.

Hope you're well, old chum!

Meant to ask @The Admiral Hook - Does the delay to New Hope mean Sorcerer does better at the box office?

A flop at the time OTL since it opened against Star Wars, it’s undergone a huge reassessment since and now regarded as excellent. With no Star Wars on release da TTL, how did it do?

I’ve been meaning to read beyond the first chapter for years but actually did just recently. Superstation’d NBC! An intriguing Apple CEO! A Saturday Night Live triumph! What a fantastic ride from a fairly low key POD. Your George Lucas might not be the most plausible version of him (though I see your reasoning), but he also might be the most flat out fun George Lucas in (alternate) history.

Dedicated to the memory of:
Vultan

I totally miss @vultan. Well you never know, I’ve taken multi-year breaks from the board and I’ll cross my fingers for a triumphant return.

Thanks! I see it now.

I'll get on it asap.

Threadmarks! Lol. How’s the next part rolling along? I’m quite intrigued by where you closed things out.

I took some time off and was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of 'likes' and even comments here! I really needed the boost and I can't thank you all enough.

Meant to ask @The Admiral Hook - Does the delay to New Hope mean Sorcerer does better at the box office?

A flop at the time OTL since it opened against Star Wars, it’s undergone a huge reassessment since and now regarded as excellent. With no Star Wars on release da TTL, how did it do?

That's an excellent question. 'Sorcerer' is a movie I hadn't heard about in ages and I can't be completely sure I ever saw it in its entirety.

It stands to reason that it does much better in this TL, obviously. Quite a lot better in fact. Still, that was an expensive film and I'm not sure it could have totally recouped its budget, even with the increased box office.

I'll do some more looking into it (and feel free to pm me any ideas you have) and I promise to include something on it in retrocspect later.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this and sorry I didn't get back to you sooner! Seriously, thank you. It made me feel like somebody gave a shit and I needed that.

If you ever need any help with anything on here please feel free to holler.

I’ve been meaning to read beyond the first chapter for years but actually did just recently. Superstation’d NBC! An intriguing Apple CEO! A Saturday Night Live triumph! What a fantastic ride from a fairly low key POD. Your George Lucas might not be the most plausible version of him (though I see your reasoning), but he also might be the most flat out fun George Lucas in (alternate) history.

I totally miss @vultan. Well you never know, I’ve taken multi-year breaks from the board and I’ll cross my fingers for a triumphant return.

Threadmarks! Lol. How’s the next part rolling along? I’m quite intrigued by where you closed things out.

Glad you've enjoyed it so far!

This TL was probably just going to be a TLIAFW, or a one off scenario until I revisited a lot of late Cold War TL scenario ideas I'd previously dreamed up and started combining them all. Once it picked up traction and Vultan started to contribute a bunch of wayward TL ideas of his own that all needed a home it became somewhat of an obsession and, more importantly, an avenue for some real self care and therapy dealing with a dark place in my life. I still use it for that, and for that reason I'll probably never stop working on it completely.

There's so much more in store and planned. So much so that I often get tempted to skip ahead or spoiler certain things. And what's more parts of what was planned for this TL's future is becoming more and more plausible and more and more relevant in this ASB-esque TL in which we live.

Bowie and Prince becoming friends and collaborators was in the cards for this TL for years before their OTL deaths occurred so close together and their similarities and differences were hyper examined in the context of their legacies. Hotly contested presidential elections have been planned even into the near future, and some of them may look alarmingly familiar (although I don't think it's much of a spoiler to assure you we won't get a certain president we have TTL) not to mention the dawn of a large and relevant third party which is something we see more and more conjecture about today. Carrie Fisher's life and career was going to be a big focus even before her death, and her revelation that she and Harrison Ford having an affair was fun to read considering it was an idea I had for GTNH that Vultan found far too absurd to include. Race relations in GTNH were going to become a major plot point and since that initial outline race in the United States has become something a person in GTNH could recognize instantly. There are films, video games, books, politicians, and so much history being made every day that this TL nearly predicted in a Simpsons-like coincidence if only I had been able to update more frequently.

But all of this just reassures me that the ideas I have for a 'Luke-less World' are relevant and perhaps necessary to explore, if only even just for myself.

And so, of course, I will continue this story and expand on this world and I hope to continue to surprise and delight you all. It won't be the most likely of universes - but then again, as we all now must begrudgingly admit: neither is our own...

As to Vultan, I too miss him and hope he's lurked back to keep tabs on me. Maybe the sequel thread will coax him into my dm's to criticize me roundly and I'll at least know he's alive. At any rate I hope he's healthy, wealthy, happy, and well wherever he is...

I abandoned doing shorter more free form posts to focus on massive updates which I had hoped to drop every couple of months. It gives me the pleasure of accomplishment and allows me to do appropriate research and to double check my work, which I find necessary on a project of this scale.

I'll post the first update of the sequel here once it's ready, and while I'll post it in a new official sequel thread of it's own I intend to include some bonus material here as well. I hope to keep this thread going as a discussion thread for its sequel so that maybe some spoilers can leak in here before the ideas get put down in permanent concrete form there.

In the meantime, some things to look forward to:

I've always wanted to do some fun work with the 'inevitable Obama' trope that's so prevalent here. You know the meme. It's the idea that no matter what happens, regardless of butterflies, Obama is President in 2008 in every single TL.

The idea I had long ago was to include Obama as a viewpoint character in a TL in which he is the perfect fictional candidate. A war hero, a minor celebrity, a legislator and experienced executive, a moderate, a high level cabinet secretary, a statesman, and a Presbyterian... and then have him not become president in 2008.

Obviously, I hinted at Vernon Howell becoming involved in Scientology in this timeline, and I would advise you to keep your eyes on that, because it's going to become a massive part of the future of this TL.

Like this thread, the next thread will begin with a celebrity death and while I'm not quite ready to tell you who I will say it's someone who died earlier in OTL than their death date in TTL.

A popular but controversial book in TTL is 'The Liberalization of Jack Kemp,' and by 2018 we'll have had at least four minority presidents, but several more serious American wars.

The first chapter of the sequel will probably go into too much detail about the making of two films released in 1980/81 which will compete for awards and box office receipts and eventually become legendary, one is The Bladerunner directed by Martin Scorsese (with a little help from Dune's Ridley Scott) and the other is a film by Stanley Kubrick which is definitely not The Shining...

Ultimately the main challenge of this TL was to always save someone else if I killed someone off and vice versa and if something was going to be utopian and good it had be countered with something dystopian and bad. I'm going to continue to hold to that challenge and hopefully you'll be pleased.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for the update.

Is it too spoilery to ask what years the sequel covers please?

The sequel will cover 1981-1992.

After that there will probably be one further sequel to complete the trilogy, if I don't split it into two more threads.

So either: 1992-Until

Or:

1992-200?

And 200?-Until