Gold, Galileo and Guadalcanal: A Tale of Blood, Sins and Dreams

Chapter 31
"My fellow princes of the Holy Mother Church," snarled Alboronoz, "I have here, in writing, instructions from His Most Catholic Majesty, instructing me of his veto against the candidacy of Bentivoglio d'Aragona."

Mouths gaped at that, then jowls and neck fat shook as men jumped to their feet and yelled. Albornoz then simply sat, content to have done the dirty work. As for the man in question, Cardinal Bentivoglio d'Aragona, he sat stunned. Mazarini's face revealed nothing. He instead scanned the room. The Spanish party knew of the veto, but not at whom it was aimed. Others were in shock. Leopoldo Medici's hideous face revealed nothing. Colonna, of the Holy Roman Empire's party, hid something. Which was to be expected. While Antonio Barberini (Sr.) looked poleaxed. But Antonio Barberini (Jr.) looked quite too much relaxed to Mazarini's gimlet eye. And it was Antonio the nephew of the last pontiff, who rose now to speak.

"My Brother in Christ Albornoz, I ask you to withdraw the veto."

"My Brother Barberini, I cannot. It is not my veto. It is my sovereign's."

"My fellow princes of the Holy Mother Church, pray hold your silence while I speak. Brother Albornoz, the veto is not yours, of this you just admitted. Then you say our brothers must bow in submission to a force outside this room? You tell us to discard a worthy candidate not on any spiritual grounds?"

"Brother Barberini, I have thought long and hard on this, and although I deplore the use of temporal concerns to influence matters spiritual, I ask my fellow princes of the Holy Mother Church this, is not the Church herself imperiled should we seek to oppose so powerful a secular ruler as His Most Catholic Majesty and do so openly as to defy his words?"

"My fellow princes of the Holy Mother Church, I beg of your indulgence. Please cease your mutters. Please. Brother Albornoz, you speak of our Church imperiled then?"

"Yes, Brother Barberini, and I do not do it lightly. I fear for should transpire if His Most Catholic Majesty withdraws his protection and we forfeit his gifts."

That set off the murmurs needed, and the small part of Mazarini's mind, which enjoyed performance, could almost find some pleasure in what was transpiring. Two actors, one not so good - Albornoz - and one far too smooth - Antonio Barberini (Jr.) - were putting on a floor show for their brethren. The upshot is that Albornoz was able to threaten loss of benefices and pensions of greedy celibates without having to say it right away, and Antonio signaled to a not unintelligent audience that by his actions, he was in concert with the Spanish party now, throwing into confusion the French. Well, almost.

Mazarini now stood tall.

"Brothers Barberini and Albornoz, I implore you to together work out a way to revoke this veto."

"Brother Mazarini, I cannot, for I am here to only speak for the Barberini family, not Spain."

"And likewise, Brother Mazarini, I cannot, for my sovereign gave me his orders."

"I see. Tell me, Brother Albornoz, what were His Most Catholic Majesty's objection to Bentivoglio d'Aragona? What in the conduct of our fellow prince of the Holy Mother Church is so infamous as to earn censure from Spain?"

"Brother Mazarini, my sovereign did not share his mind with me. He gave me this veto in writing. I know not what possible reason would induce His Most Catholic Majesty to oppose the worthy candidacy of our good Brother d'Aragona."

"Please brothers, sit and let me speak. I wish to understand the import of the words now uttered. Brother Albornoz, do you mean to say, in principle, a secular ruler of a strong state in Christendom, may impose his will upon the selection of a pontiff, and not clarify his thoughts upon the matter, so long as it is provided in writing?"

"I... Yes, I suppose, I am arguing that, Brother Mazarini. Though I wish I did not."

"I see. Would the Dean of the College of Cardinal be so good as to rule on such a view?"

"Brother Mazarini, I am as disheartened by the view of Brother Albornoz..."

"Not my view, Brother Lante. Not my view at all. But that of my sovereign."

"Yes, Brother Albornoz, so I understand. So we all understand. But please Brother Lante, continue."

"It is not possible to resist the will of so powerful a king as that of the Spanish Empire, my fellow princes of the Holy Mother Church, as not to imperil the stability of the Holy Mother Church herself, and so I fear we must chose the lesser of two evils and bow to the forces of temporal power over spiritual."

"I see. Permit a question then, my good fellow princes of the Holy Mother Church. Do any of you present also hold any vetoes, in writing, from your mighty sovereigns?"

There were silence, though an exchange of looks in the party from the Holy Roman Empire. They had no veto in writing from the Holy Roman Emperor. The Emperor was too busy fighting for the survival of Catholicism in the Germanies to have time to gather his cardinals and articulate a policy in writing. Or so Savelli said. The truth, his patron Ferdinand III, Holy Roman Emperor, King of Hungary and Croatia, King of Bohemia and Archduke of Austria, did not wish to antagonize France, for she and Sweden were the main financiers of the Protestant German polities opposing his rule in Christendom. The German War was on the verge of being peacefully resolved, to end the then twenty-five year slaughter, and it did not seem good practice for him to cause a row with French interest. But he could not state this openly, however, for he was bound by faith, gold and blood to His Most Catholic Majesty and the Spaniards helped him fight the aforementioned heretic Germans. Thus, prevarication.

"I ask again, my fellow princes of the Holy Mother Church, we have now been told of one veto. Does anyone here hold yet another?"

Silence followed yet again, though there were worried glances.

Mazarini looked now straight at Albornoz, and gave a most curious smile.

"Anyone?"

Albornoz did not like that smile, but stared right back. He was on solid ground, though the enemy yielded far too quickly for his taste.

"My fellow princes of the Holy Mother Church, I have a veto of my own," said Mazarini smiling still. "From His Most Christian King Louis XIV of France. It is in writing. And it opposes Pamphili."

There followed an explosion of such noise, it was heard by the mob outside and many feared the worst.

Inside the conclave itself, Mazarini sat back down and let the noise swirl. He had done his work as Albornoz. Far better it must be said, for it was a complete surprise. Well, the first phase of it at least. More would follow. Grimaldi, Bichi and a pair of tame French cardinals bided their time to disseminate the new French party line, but kept up the morale of his potential troops. Pamphili looked crushed and could not speak. Nor should have Albornoz, but he ranted and raved and reduced his standing greatly. Antonio Barberini (Sr.) nearly came to blows with his betrayer nephew, who gamely tried to pretend it was all part of Mazarini's master plan, including his goading of Albornoz. It was not. Well, the goading was to be part of the plan, but it was to come from another source. And certainly Mazarini did not plan for Antonio Barberini (Jr.) to behave so brazen. Nor did Mazarini plan for d'Aragona to be vetoed. It should have been Cardinal Sacchetti, then d'Aragona was to be the compromise. But such is life. So not everything had gone to plan, but Mazarini did his part in the first phase of it as we have said.

Albornoz was finally quieted down by the more sober members of his party, while everyone present wrestled with the question foremost on all minds. Should there even be a vote right here and now then? Or did the twin grenades tossed into the room had produced such a fearful slaughter that it was time to retreat and lick one's wounds and come up with a compromise to soothe frayed nerves?

Eyes turned to Mazarini for guidance, since Albornoz had failed himself and Lante was in shock.

"My fellow princes of the Holy Mother Church, the eyes of Heaven and good Christians are upon us. We must conduct a vote. It is expected, is it not? Let us take a half hour to collect ourselves and do one vote today and see if we are guided to a great and wondrous choice on the very first ballot."

The words put the Spanish party on an edge, but the French party was likewise weary. Those in the know were told d'Aragona was the palatable choice. But with him now discarded...? The Spaniards were in similar disarray. Pamphili was to their eye the only worthy candidate.

Albornoz was soon quickly surrounded by his two fellow Spaniards, as well as Medici (Florence), Harrach (Germanies), Savelli (sometime counselor of the Holy Roman Emperor, though he called Rome home) and Colonna (though he was brother-in-law to Taddeo Barberini, he was an Imperial man).

Mazarini was joined by Bichi (Siena), Grimaldi (Genoa) and his two tame French cardinals. The others pressed upon him, but were politely ignored, including the outraged d'Aragona, who demanded the veto be rescinded. Bichi pulled him aside and spoke in blunt terms intended to wound and end him.

While d'Aragona struggled for breath, Pamphili sat like a great log. He could not think. He could not move. He could only stare blankly out. It had been his to lose and he had lost it before a vote cast.

While conclave was in chaos, the Sea Wolf sat on a pew in St. Augustin's church and thought of many things, including his return voyage to Australia and what route he would take. He had guards on either side of him, and behind him and in front. But no one pressed him. Then all heads turned, for into the church had entered a hulking brute. He looked like a Turk, for Turk he was.

The Turk made a beeline for the Sea Wolf. Some of the people thought they were about to see a murder and so hung back, but the guards of the Sea Wolf were bidden to stand down. The Turk approached the Sea Wolf, gave a bow and then a note. The Sea Wolf took it. It contained in Olympia's hand, "il gioco siciliano." The Sicilian Game. Or, is at has come to be known in our age: The Sicilian Defence. White chessmen made attack, but black countered most aggressively. The battle has been joined. One of the Sea Wolf's companions had an inkhorn in his buttonhole. Another kept a quill in his hatband. The Sea Wolf added a symbol to the back of the note to indicate approval and receipt and handed it off to the lumbering Turk. And so the Turk bowed and departed.

It was quite useless to speak to the Turkish fellow, for his tongue was cut out. And he could not hear regardless for his eardrums were punctured. This was done by order of the Sultan now long dead, who did this not to punish the fellow, but to protect himself from plots, for the unfortunate brute was earmarked to be servant to the Sultan's youngest brother. And the Sultan, fearful he would be overthrown by a plot hatched by said brother, had every servant in his brother's household rendered deaf and mute. We mention this not to shock or titillate, but to admonish that the events we now describe took in a much more violent age than our own and we should not judge the machinations of the people mentioned here too harshly. Thus ends the editorial and we rejoin our tale.

"Scrutineers, please take your positions."

Two cardinals, each chosen by the party that professed it did not exist in the universal Church of utter brotherhood and love, stood and made their way to the altar. The first was Cardinal Bichi, while the other was Cardinal Alfonso de la Cueva-Benavides y Mendoza-Carrillo, marqués de Bedmar. The third man chosen was Cardinal Roma, who despite his curious name was born in Milan. He was most severe, despised nepotism and was held to be incorruptible. The three cardinals stood by an urn that had its top blocked by a golden chalice.

The most senior cardinal then stood, barely, but stood. Held aloft his paper ballot and shuffled down to the urn and chalice. Muttered an oath. Dropped the ballot into chalice. Held the chalice up with a shaky hand. Muttered yet another oath. Tipped the ballot in the chalice into turn. Then set the chalice atop the urn, though with much difficulty and returned to his seat. 51 one men then followed. Then each scrutineer did same. Then, in the presence of all, each scrutineer gave a firm shake to the urn. Then the urn was set down. A second one obtained. Shown to be empty to all assembled and set next to the first. Cardinal Roma withdrew each ballot, one by one, as his two scrutineers did their count. After each ballot was counted out, it was placed into the second urn.

"Fifty-five votes had been cast."

Chairs were found and set by the altar. The three scrutineers sat. One by one, the votes were taken out of the second urn. Roma would show the ballot to his two fellow scrutineers, then announce for whom that particularly ballot was cast, then the paper ballot was pierced by a silver needle with silk thread and garlanded by Cueva, with Bichi watching.

"The first vote is for Cardinal Sacchetti."

That set off a murmur, surely the French party would not advance someone so loathed by Spain, after all that had transpired earlier in the day? But they did. As more and more votes came in for the suddenly pale Sacchetti.

The Spanish candidate of choice, with doomed Pamphili now sidelined, was Francesco Cennini de' Salamandri (Siena). Cennini was 78 years young, and one of the last holdovers from the Paul V's papacy. As such, he treated Madrid as the Mussulmen did Mecca.

Across from their respective seats Mazarini and Albornoz exchanged a bitter smile.

With the loss of their favored prospects, each side now attempted to show the folly of their opposition by bringing forth an even more unpalatable choice so that the next ballot may give room for compromise. All eyes then turned on potential candidates who thus could fit and the next phase of the struggle was entered. Mazarini had instructed Grimaldi to have four men of the French party vote for Giambattista Altieri (Rome) to signal his compromise choice (and a 50 to one longshot per the taverns of Genoa). While Albornoz decided not to give the game away just yet, by having three men nominate a wholly unelectable Maculano (Tuscany). Maculano's politics ran not so much pro-Spain, as anti-Mazarini. And there was much bad blood between the two men. Thus, his nomination was both an insult to Mazarini and a signal that Albornoz would fight and fight to death for his true choice, once said choice was set to be revealed.

While these cunning stratagems were made, the Sea Wolf, in his namesake's church still, was visited by soberly dressed Olympia herself:

"All's well."

"I had no doubt."

"I did."

"You should not. You are smarter than all of them combined."

Olympia did not do well with compliments as we have told, but this one filled her hearth with warmth. There was to be some Devil's work ahead, and it helped to know you were on the side of angels as far as your beloved was concerned. But same could be said of Olimpia Maidalchini, who recovered her wits and now plotted afresh, still seized with a vision of her brother-in-law Pamphili wearing Triple Crown.

Last edited:
Chapter 32
"My good lady Ashley, I hope I do not interrupt?"

"Lady Maidalchini, to what do I owe such pleasure?"

"Permit first to say it was so good of you to see me on such short notice, that is, no notice at all. For I merely barged in here, accompanied by a retinue of brutish guards. And you were so sweet to let your guards let me pass and arrange for us to talk in private."

"It seemed a Christian thing, my good lady."

"Yes, indeed. May I speak plain? The hour grows most late and I shall have a busy morning on the morrow."

"As you wish, my good lady."

"Thankee. I have no wish to speak so direct, but my mind is most weary."

"As you have said, my good lady."

"I am told you collect art in advance of artists you think close to expiring, so that when they pass, you may sell at a profit from resulting fame of their death which may at times elude them in their life."

Ashley frowned at that, but gave a nod. If this was speaking 'plain' and 'direct,' she could only imagine what would happen to the Tuscan tongue when Olimpia Maidalchini chose to be opaque.

"Well, then may I give an advance warning? A certain artist of good fame from Tuscany shall be unwell. It would be good of you to prepare for that, and take advantage. For I will. Good night."

Before Ashley could register that, the widow quit her rooms.

The body of Cardinal Maculano, born of Tuscany, was found in his room when he had missed the morning prayers. He was alive, but barely thus. He was covered in several layers of vomit and feces. The doctors were called and begged for the man to be taken to his rooms outside the conclave's walls and to be treated there. They disagreed on the cause of his ailment and the potential of his miasma spreading to the other at the building, but all thought it be best to be safe than sorry. The cardinals fearfully huddled in cliques and there was talk of abandoning Genoa for a safer clime.

That news did not as yet leak out to the good people of Genoa, but nonetheless rumors ran wild. They knew two sets of vote were held and that no pontiff was as yet elected and that the second most likely candidate was dead. Then the whole business of the vetoes was found out, and the market adjustments followed swift and fierce. Odds were revised, but not across the board and syndicates were in disarray.

There was fear of disturbances by the men pretending to be in charge of the Most Serene Republic, but outside of a new wave of pickpocketing and robberies of men made insensible by drink at having lost moneys bet on vetoed d'Aragona and Pamphili, there were none, nor any rebellion organized.

Yet a most pernicious rumor made the rounds and Olympia hastened to the Sea Wolf to alert him of it.

"Olympia, pray sit, are you unwell?"

"Maculano has been poisoned."

"So it has been said. Odd. Who do you think…?"

"That is why I came here. There are rumors of French doing him in..."

"That would make no sense."

"It gets worse. There is talk you were involved."

"What?"

"Maculano was the chief prosecutor of Galileo. There is talk you, as Galileo's disciple..."

"By Jesu…!"

"I know, beloved. Thus I'm here."

"Do we issue a denial?"

"No. For a start, none would believe it, and it would help the rumor spread. And second, it would set bad precedent. Deny one rumor, and you must deny them all. For if you fail to deny one after you denied half dozen and all will think it true for you did not deny that one."

"So what we are we to do?"

Olympia looked sideways and the Sea Wolf's guards made themselves scarce.

"It was that bitch Maidalchini."

"That… makes sense."

"I am glad you see it."

"I hardly could not. She accosted Ashley last night and told her and warned her of this."

"What? Why did you not tell me then?"

"Ashley did not understand the import of the message until after the report of sickness."

"She failed to tell us of what…!"

"Olympia, please."

"Right. As I have said. It was Maidalchini."

"So what would you have me do?"

"Stay as sweet as you are now."

"I say, did you just tell me to smile, look nice and not worry my pretty little head about it?"

"I suppose. How did it feel?"

By this point both of them were grinning. Then the Sea Wolf was not.

"If you cannot tell me what you will do, then I cannot help."

"If you do not know what I am about to do, you cannot talk me out of it."

"Fair enough." And here the Sea Wolf gave as yet another wholly non-English embrace and held. Olympia allowed herself to go slack in his arms, but for a moment and no more. Then she gathered.

"Good day, Brother Pamphili. Pray, be so good to sit."

"Thankee, Brother Albornoz."

"Tell your woman no more Roman shit."

"I beg your pardon?"

"I have not the time nor inclination to wear white gloves before you, my lord cardinal. Your woman did this. Be quiet and sit. This is not the time for remonstration. Sit, please. She poisoned Maculano. I said, sit. You may be one of the elect, but should my sovereign pull his support, you would be quite done. So sit now and listen, though you wish not. Sit. Thankee.

"As I said, your woman poisoned Maculano to deny Spain a worthy candidate that was an alternative to you in the vote, but as a toss of a bone to a dog, she also now allows us to point the accusing finger at the French faction and gives us invective against Maculano's personal enemy - Mazarini. And I may use that to our advantage still. But, what she did, was heedless and quite dumb.

"We are balanced a knife's edge. And this provocation - and what better word would one use to describe an alleged Spanish supporter poisoning a Spanish candidate to discredit the French cause but a 'provocation' - will breed retaliation. And a retaliation will in turn bring about an escalation. We need not that. Nod to signal understanding of what I have just said. I said 'nod,' not speak. The time for your speeches have not as yet come. Just nod. There. That is better.

"Tell your woman to not do this sort of thing again, or I shall have to be unpleasant. And we have no wish for that, do we? Nod once to signal understanding and obeisance. Close your mouth and nod. There. Thankee. Now depart. Good day."

Pamphili seethed all the way to his room and had he been a man of less temperate feeling, he would declared for the French right there and then, but Albornoz chose his victim well. Pamphili was of the Spanish party and with it he would rise or fall, and he could not and would not hurt the Madrid cause. But neither this abuse could he make himself forgive nor forget. And the time of reckoning would come.

The officials from Madrid were pathetic and unprepared, thought Olimpia Maidalchini not entirely inaccurately. She was seated at the table with a trio of them now, swaggering toughs wearing leather corsets underneath their stern black clothes to appear tough and manly. It was enough to get sick. How easy it all would have been if Barberini were Spanish playthings. Then she and her dearest brother-in-law would gather the flower of the Roman aristocracy and oppose these dullards with full force. She would then be on the same side as the Sea Wolf. The thought made her smile, on the inside, where she hid. It would have been quite a triumph. With the gold and machinations of the brave and not entirely unhandsome barbarian standing by her faction, oh the things she could have done. But it was not to be. The Sea Wolf opposed Spanish interests. As did the remains of Barberini clan, excluding turncloak Antonio (Jr.). That meant, Pamphili and his wonderful array of ancient bloods were on the side of Spain. And she found herself in a room with principal agents of Madrid and its official parties. They were fools. Jesu, they were fools, she thought. Their master plan was to exclude d'Aragona and thereby cow the rest of cardinals into submission. There the plan did end. No backup, never mind a tertiary plot, nor a fourth. One plan. Just one plan, disguised with the all the cunning of a drunkard with a pair of shaking hands and piss stained breeches.

They repulsed her, Widow Maidalchini had realized. These three bloodless, pale lipped creatures acting as if their family names were as ancient as her own. Dear me, such delusions among these dons, she mused. The one on her left for instance could trace his heritage to Christian clans fighting the Moors in the mountains since the Song of Roland. That his grandfather could not eat pork escaped the official scroll. But such evidence was preserved in her cabinet and ready to be used, should it be called upon. Or the fool on her right had predilection for young boys dressed as milk maids. Despite that, he once condemned a man to death for committing sodomy with a woman. A woman. Dear me. Hypocrisy did not disgust her, she knew it was a necessity in these cruel times, but there was no reason to kill the sodomite. He was from a weak family and had no gold. To destroy someone small spoke of a smallness. And that cannot be forgiven. As for the idiot sitting directly opposite, he gambled in cards, and did so badly. His vice of choice, an Irish game called poque. Chief trait of said game was to be able to bluff. One would think a skill found easily in diplomats, to say nothing of a diplomat in charge of the affairs of His Most Catholic Majesty. But, no. He was as terrible across the table felt as he was now across one laden with fruits and sweet liquors.

"Do not concern yourself, good widow. We shall punish those pernicious frogs as yet for their vile poisoning of the good cardinal Maculano."

The Widow gave a nod, and hid a smile. A child could have caught what she was all about, but these three were much worse than children. The rest of the conversation was perfectly banal. She smiled through it all, including the excruciating parting, with the degenerate gambler making a meal of her hand when he leaned to give it a kiss. She suppressed a shudder. She had worse paws.

She rode in a palanquin in silence to her rooms. The impious and improbable thought reappeared again. She would go to the Sea Wolf and explain that Pamphili could be his agent still. The veto dropped, her man installed. Such vanity and nonsense should have left her at first blood, but here she was a mature woman in full juice of life and still she thought as such. That was the extent of desperation she felt, after meeting her so called allies. The only other unworthy thought, to scheme to get a doddering old man elected and then work on advancing Pamphili at next conclave after the next pope pegs out. Except, more than a few old men had turned sudden spry upon setting their bony behinds on the throne of St. Peter. Such was the power the seat held. Such was the power she herself too wanted, for her dearest brother-in-law, mind.

Inside her rooms, the Widow was given the Arab wine, called coffee, by her silent servants, sprawled on a cushion and thought more. Then when the bath was drawn, she went to it, even though she did not feel sick at all. When the door closed, she felt queer and turned. Before her stood a hulking brute in ill-kempt clothes with glassy eyes and crooked smile. She backed up and nearly fell into the bath. She opened her mouth and the brute struck with his fist into her side. She fell to her knees and let loose and noiseless scream, all of her body seeming hurt and left without a breath. The brute then grabbed her by the hair and dunked her head into the bath, held her underwater til her lungs near gave out, jerked her spluttering, shocked and sobbing body out of water and gave a bigger smile still. Then he dipped her head under the waters of the bath again, and so on and so on, until the widow was half past dead. Then he grinned wide, still holding her by hair, made her kneel, pried open her slackened mouth and poured the same poison down her gullet that was fed to the more unwitting Maculano.

The widow had by this point already voided her bowels and got sick, but she would get sicker still when her servants found her quite alone, stark naked, sobbing, shuddering and yelping on the wet floor of her bath.

The brute sailed off in a skiff into the open seas that every night, his pockets full of gold. His departure was overseen by as nearly hulking Turk, who then came to Olympia and nodded. Olympia could not bring herself to nod back, and merely walked off. She thought of doves, for some reason, and puzzled at that. Then gave a sigh, gave order to her thoughts and went off to the cathedral. She had a peace to broker and a pontiff to elect. The doves would have to wait.

Chapter 33
Cardinal Albornoz crossed himself, reflexively, and walked into the tiny garden. The pale moon light cast his shadow across the bushes. He avoided looking over his shoulder, but only just. Still his anxiety must have been quite evident, for Cardinal Colonna gave an ever slight cough to signal that he was still behind him. Albornoz willed himself to appear more at ease and reached the center of the garden in four steps. There stood cloaked Cardinal Mazarini, seconded by Cardinal Bichi. Both men had their hands well away from their belts. Albornoz aped the gesture. Colonna did the same. To the shock of all, including the speaker, Mazarini spoke plain, blunt and in a rough countryside Southern dialect of his long gone youth:

"Spinola gets the throne, but three of your creature get made Prefect of Rites, of Regulars and the Council, provided you name them ahead of time and I approve. Bichi here gets made Cardinal-Inquisitor."

As opening gambit it was bold and very to the point. So much so that Albornoz needed a half dozen Hail Maries to grasp it all. Cardinal Spinola was a Genoese and of the French party. He was in his early sixties, though how much, Albornoz could not recall. Spinola was an almost acceptable candidate for papacy, despite his French leanings. As for the other offers... Mazarini dash near gave away the store. The Prefect of the Sacred Congregation of Rites deliberated on submission for sainthood as well as met with the courtiers of kings coming to Rome. The Prefect of the Sacred Congregation for Consultations about Regulars was in charge of all monastic orders and lay organizations with affiliations to the papacy. And the Prefect of the Sacred Congregation of the Council was in charge of maintaining the Trident mass and cannons. Three of the most powerful positions in the papal bureaucracy were at a stroke his to pick, provided he could stomach a pro-French pope. The other charge though... bore thinking. Bichi was Cardinal-Inquisitor would mean spies would be under French control.

Albornoz said nothing for twenty Hail Maries more, then spoke:

"I would want the Cardinal-Inquisitor position as well."

"Brother, I make no gambit. What you heard is what I have. No more."

"This negotiation..."

"This is no negotiation. It is an offer. Take it, or leave."

Albornoz's mouth went slack at that. Colonna stepped up and gave a smile.

"Surely..."

"Keep you gob shut, pretty boy. This here is a meeting of the principals. You don't qualify," said Bichi almost casually. Colonna recoiled. Then his mouth knifed. But Bichi merely cracked his knuckles and gave a smile wide, to the pale faced horror of Colonna and amusement of Albornoz. Bichi was no brawler, and Albornoz knew of it. Bichi had come from the most refined families of Siena, and was a nephew of a prince of the Holy Mother Church in his own right before becoming bishop. But he was not a man to mince words or his oaths and there lurked in him a bestial presence. Not that of a wild animal, but of a well bred dog, straining at the leash to tear apart a hapless rabbit or a wayward fox. As Albornoz was himself part bulldog, he held a slight admiration for the trait even in his foes.

"I cannot speak for others, Brother Mazarini."

"Oh yes, you can, Brother Albornoz. Speak for them now. The offer will not stand at dawn."

"And should dawn come then without my acceptance?"

"I will push Altieri and I shall shove him down the throats of all my foes. And even if I do not have votes now, I will keep up the stalemate until your side breaks. And it will break."

"Why say you that?"

"Because I have more candidates than you. If Altieri will not work, I will put in Sacchetti, just to make you fight him even harder than Altieri and then will bring forth a third man as compromise. How many men do you have that can wear the Triple Crown without there being a riot in Rome? How many candidates can you present and not have the world laugh? You had Pamphili. I cut him down. Who is your second best man? Who is your third? How long until your van falls apart to age? All those doddering droolers made cardinal by Paul V are dodging coffins, but not for long. It is only a matter of time. It is on my side."

Colonna's already pale face somehow became paler still, while Albornoz hid his turbulent emotions. He had underestimated Mazarini. First that trick with getting the veto and now this. The refined French loving weakling had some fangs and claws. And it was Albornoz's flesh he was no rending.

"If I accept, I will need time to name the three for the offices."

"No. Name them here and now. I need to know who shall name saints, keep the Mass pure and steal money from the monks."

"You go too far, Brother."

"Because I went far in my life. As you can hear from my native dialect. I was not born grandee. But I do aim to die as one. Now, Brother, please be so good as to give me those three names."

"Brother Colonna here shall be in charge of Regulars, Cennini for the Mass and Montalto for the saints."

Mazarini leaned his head slight back and Bichi stepped up and whispered. Mazarini did not expect to hear Montalto's name, for he was not a man of power, but Bichi gave the requisite composite sketch. Montalto was not as yet fifty and a coming comet, but comets come and go. Mazarini gave a nod.

"Let us all go now, the four of us, together to Spinola and give happy news."

Albornoz was not prepared for that, but felt himself yielding and gave nod. And thus Giovanni Domenico Spinola was elected at the morning vote by an overwhelming majority, though some held out, due to bitterness or general recalcitrant. And some, missed the vote entire to not be fait accompli to the show. Thus, Pamphili was not there, and neither was d'Aragona. D'Aragona licked his wounds at an apartment of a female friend and cried and need to be held dear. Pamphili held his sister-in-law, who cried and moaned and needed to be held most dear after the events of the previous night.

The news of a pope to be declared went through the town of Genoa as if a storm. The good people of the city, and bad ones as well, to say nothing of pilgrims, gaping tourists and visiting merchantmen all rushed to the cathedral and spread rumors to amuse themselves and to relieve the tension. Then the way was cleared for the Sea Wolf, dressed in the colors of the Most Serene Republic, accompanied by the worthies of the town, including the former Doge of Genoa and head of House Durazzo grinning by his side. The two were given position of honor and fresh wave of gossip sprang through the nervous crowd. Durazzo grin was interpret as a good omen for the Most Serene Republic, but only the most naïve and hopeful would dare say it out loud, a Genoese born pontiff? Was it possible?

Then all hushed as the doors of the Cathedral were flung open and Leopoldo Medici came out, his hideous face terrifying the more impressionable among the public. A murmur ran through the crowd, oh no, hopefully it not him? Is it? Then all took note he was still wearing scarlet habit and a sigh of relief greeted all but those who had bet on him (44 to one odds). Leopoldo spread his arms to await a hush, but got none, but still admirably boomed out:

"Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum: Habemus Papam!
Eminentissimum ac reverendissimum Dominum,
Dominum Giovanni Sanctæ Romanæ Ecclesiæ Cardinalem Spinola,
Qui sibi nomen imposuit Papa Zacharius Secundus!"

Few in the crowd caught that the last name of the cardinal made pope was Spinola, and all attempted to figure out who was named Zacharius in the conclave, not realizing it was the papal regnal name chosen by the victorious Cardinal Spinola. Thus only few cheered at the news when Medici spoke, but then all fairly exploded when Cardinal Spinola did arrive, dressed all in white and beaming.

There followed scenes of jubilation such as to make us put down our quill, for we cannot capture the spirit of the town of Genoa, which having given the world pontiffs in the centuries past, felt itself beleaguered and overlooked. The last Genoese pope had been the great Julius II. And what happened then? Some filthy Roman became Julius III and made a hash of things, miring the great name in controversy and ensuring no one named Julius followed suit since then. Before that, there was Innocent VIII, a figure from the halcyon past of the Republic of Genoa. And would you believe what happened then? Some fool Romagna aristo became Innocent IX and made an even bigger mess, this time in France by becoming a tool of Spanish faction. And though none could remember what the first Zacharius had done, all immediately pronounced the name as fine and good, though there were grumblings among those who are never quite happy even when they are in health and wealth warning all that it was only a matter of time until some Southron coxcomb would steal that name as well and besmirch it. But no one heard such grumblers on that day, and certainly not in that square, for the cheers shook walls and glass and there tears upon the faces of the grimmest of men.

And in the midst of all this stood the Sea Wolf and it was he who was the first to step up the stairs and be allowed to kiss the papal ring, and all who were present understood what it signified - the Sea Wolf had given Genoa a pope and at that moment had the Sea Wolf declared that men and women should grab weapons and follow him, he could have marched halfway to Rome before the excitement would dissipate. But the Sea Wolf had no urge to declare as such, and he was one for travelling by sea, not land. And nothing in Rome much held him.

That night, the Sea Wolf and Olympia broke their bed. The next morning the Sea Wolf was named the Count of Rome and Lord-Bishop of Albano, despite not residing in Rome, or Albano as yet, and never being ordained as priest. It may look quite impolite to us, but in that epoch there were cardinals who were never ordained as bishops nor as priests. And even Cardinal Mazarini started off as a mere priest and was only called bishop as a courtesy before coming cardinal. To say nothing of the English cardinals of the Holy Mother Church, who for one reason for another could not be ordained priests as well. But we digress. In the midst of all the jubilation, a papal bull was signed declaring Australia to be the Sea Wolf's and it was to be followed by a declaration of acknowledgement of the same by Paris, though Madrid stayed silent, despite all the best efforts of Olympia and her threats and gold.

While the Sea Wolf was thus ennobled, his twin sister was quietly made a baronetess of St. Peter of the Sands of Genoa, a title of nobility that had to be invented, but the Durazzo, Grimaldi and Spinola families ensured it was done, though as we said under a cloak of silence. As for Olympia...

Olympia walked inside the chamber of her now ennobled companion to find a jewelry casket standing atop a curious map of central Italies, depicting lands near Rome. The Sea Wolf removed the casket and pointed to a land near Lake Albano, in total silence. Olympia stared at the map and land and frowned.

"Savelli held those lands. The principality of Albano. They were on the verge of selling it to Barberini, until present troubles came and they were good enough to sell to me instead. I had the lease signed in your name."

"I see."

"No, you do not. Not as yet. Albano carries with it a princely title."

Olympia frowned yet again, then blinked, then gaped, then blinked again. The Sea Wolf now set the casket on the map as yet again. Took a step back and waited. Olympia, having lost her power of speech, reached out with trembling fingers to attempt to open the casket. It failed on the first, second, third and fourth try. But on the fifth she managed to push back the lid and let out a shuddering gasp.

There, on a bed of velvet, sat a gold tiara.

Olympia dared not touch it, so the Sea Wolf did. He picked it up and set it on her copper hair.

"My princess."

Olympia then burst in tears.

Three months later, two and twenty ships departed Genoa for Australia. The flagship carried Lord-Bishop Count of Rome, Agostino the Sea Wolf, the Princess of Albano Olympia Anne de Breuil, and the hopes and cheers of an entire republic.

On the soon distant land of Christendom they left behind the good Lady Ashley with authority to dispose of one tenth of the mass fortune the Sea Wolf now had, anxious Cardinal Mazarini preparing to fight for France, scheming Cardinal Pamphili anxious to revenge himself and his sister-in-law, the always anxious and perpetually scheming grandees and their factions in Madrid, hoping to destroy the Sea Wolf and bring ruin to his cause, to say nothing of the rebuilding and unbowed Medici, the shattered and vengeance seeking Franciotti, at war with themselves but not entirely destroyed Barberini and the weary people of Rome. But that is quite another tale for quite another time.

The End.