General Map Making Guideline Thread for the New-Comers

Due to recent events. I have taken the initiative to start this thread. This is a place for New members who have never made maps before, to start on their way to becoming the new Krall's of the board.

IT IS ALSO HIGHLY ENCOURAGED FOR THE SENIOR MEMBERS TO BE POLITE AND COURTEOUS TOWARDS THE YOUNGLINGS WHILE PROVIDING ADVICE!

With that, Have at it.

Due to recent events. I have taken the initiative to start this thread. This is a place for New members who have never made maps before, to start on their way to becoming the new Krall's of the board.

New Kralls as in his new persona (the gentlemanly, skilled cartographer) or his old one (the madly barking map-criticising god who honestly scared me the first time I looked through the Map Thread)?

I guess this is the thread for me.

attachment.php

First of all, as was said very often in the Map thread:
[You don't] have to be artsy (look at B_Munro; he's widely regarded as one of the board's best mapmakers, and he uses nothing but variations on that same basemap) or particularly creative, but simply take some time. Think about consequences... World events don't exist in a vacuum, and while it's an ATL and of course you have control, plausibility is remembering that while a six-sided die may roll a six fifty times in a row, it won't roll a seven.

Look at other mapmakers; see the comments and criticisms they receive. Look at older map threads. Find out what makes people really, truly enjoy looking at a map. (Hint: no matter what they say, it's rare for a simple Country X wank to be seen as 'good' unless, again, there's some other artistic value to the map.) Find the Map Challenge threads in this subforum and look at some of those maps; almost all of them are exceptional quality. And, again, take your time to make the best map you can make; when given the choice between a map a day we don't really care about, or a map every month or so that's brilliant, we'd pick the latter option every time.

Take a few hours and look through the old Map Thread archives. Study other people's work, not in particular anything by Highlander or Krall or any of the other prime cartographer, but just maps done by random people using the base map that you use. Look at Bruce's maps, the good thing about them is their simplicity. You don't have to be a master of Photoshop to make a Munroist map, anyone can do one with just MSpaint and little creativity, though I don't advise you try making any witticisms though, that may bring the Map Thread to try and banish you for bad jokes.

If you want help, if you honestly want to improve your cartography, then please don't be afraid to ask someone for it. If you want a tutor (and I advise you look for one, they can really help) then ask someone and they'll help you improve...

...A great way to improve your mapmaking skill is to enter a Map of the Fortnight challenge; another is to make a brief scenario and then try to map it, and a third good way is to study others' work. Last but not least (no, this is more like last but most); try as hard and well as you can. You learn little about mapmaking by sitting about looking at other maps; try to improve your skill actively by trial and error. Don't feel the need to post every try you make; I, for example, have many a map attempt that just sits on my hard drive doing nothing, and I've probably made something like a hundred attempts. Yet I think the number of maps I've actually posted is less than twenty...

Thank you so much for this. I think my maps (which are fairly few and far between) have decent concepts behind them but my technical execution isn't great. If any of our most esteemed cartographers would deign to enlighten acolytes such as myself I'd be most appreciative.

Thank you so much for this. I think my maps (which are fairly few and far between) have decent concepts behind them but my technical execution isn't great. If any of our most esteemed cartographers would deign to enlighten acolytes such as myself I'd be most appreciative.

Well in technical terms, I think the best thing to suggest is basically just to experiment. Pick a 'look' you want to go for, and try to get there. Browsing random tutorials is often a good way of letting inspiration hit too. I use photoshop to make my maps and most of the techniques I used are just ones I picked up or discovered along the way- sure, you might create some monsters or make mistakes, but that's what the undo button is for!

In any case, content is always way more important than flashiness with a map- so you've done the difficult part already.

My advice:

---Use Inkscape.
---Look on the Wikimedia Commons for base-maps, especially the "blank maps" category.
---Avoid the UCS. :p

How does one 'trace' borders? I've never really understood what people mean when they say that.

How does one 'trace' borders? I've never really understood what people mean when they say that.
Well what I do is open MS paint twice. One for the map I'm editing and one for the map I need to trace. Line up the two so the borders match and then switch off each map.

Or if you have photoshop use that.

@ Unholy Mistress: I have deliberately ignored every single post in that conversation for the sake of not wanting to get involved. I want to mention that I think you have potential. I myself don't like doing anything too over the top as my maps are about the story behind them... with the Map itself just showing the outcome.

About "Tracing" Borders: I do this often. But the definition changes between users. In my case, it is finding a base map with the borders that I want to implement, and a matter of copying and pasting, while avoiding unnecessary clutter and filth.

I use the "draw bezier curves and straight lines" tool in Inkscape. However, it's a real bitch if you have a lot of border to trace. :eek:

Robinson.
Well, not quite- it's very, very close, but if you take a Robinson map, shrink it down to the same size, and overlay (yes, I've done this; I know, I'm disgusting) they don't-quite-line-up. We can call it Robinson, but it's really more like Robinson mixed with something else, perhaps equirectangular or Wagner VI, for looks, convenience, and the fact that we've always done it that way.

Well, not quite- it's very, very close, but if you take a Robinson map, shrink it down to the same size, and overlay (yes, I've done this; I know, I'm disgusting) they don't-quite-line-up.

I know, that's why I asked. I assumed it was Robinson, and I did that overlay thing in an attempt to practice border-tracing.