From The Other Side Of The River: a TL

Introduction
200px-Alegor%C3%ADa_Brasil_y_Argentina.jpg

From The Other Side Of The River
Introduction

Hey yall!

Inspired by this thread from @Taunay , I’m going to start doing a TL that builds up from a premise of a war between Argentina and Brazil in the 70’s, but I pretend to cover pretty much the whole world, as threads like Exocet, from @Nevran , and The Empire Parnell Built, from @Rattigan .

I can’t forget to leave my main references for this TL: A Drop in the Bucket, from @Vinization , and Change Brazil, from @Taunay

This is going to be my first TL so I’m really nervous and excited!

I absolutely want all your support, criticism, compliments, and of course, ideas.

Anyways, let’s get it going!

POD: 1964 Attempted coup in Brazil
On 27 March 1964, an anticipated coup attempt in Brazil failed hugely. The clumsy militaries were easily beaten by an quite active João Goulart government. The United States cynically dissembled it's own support for the coup and turned the missed opportunity in a way of reapproaching the Brazilian government with a democracy defender facade. The failed coup would have effects around the world, giving leftist movements a boost in popularity and combativeness.

yEo9FhW.png

------------
LgCW96f.png

1964 Electoral Cycle
Even though the Brazilian democratic resistance wasn't influential enough to shift any electoral results, it still had it's effects felt in a boost for leftists around the globe. In Europe, most countries strongly defended president Goulart and tried to enjoy any little bit of positive propaganda for being depicted as pro-democracy. The United States shifted it's position from secretly helping the putschists to staunch democrats, with president Lyndon Johnson visiting Brazil in August 1964 to strengthen his image as an statesman and also secure Goulart in his influence. In South America, reactions we're more wary, as most of the armed forces of the continent wished their countries to support a coup, so political leaders we're limited to saying they would watch closely the unfolding of events, but it didn't stop left politics from making the "Brazilian resistance" a major point of their confrontational platform.
47CDmo8.png

In the UK, prime minister Douglas-Home caution in dealing with the coup in Brazil and the pressures from the white-minority in Rhodesia eroded his position, bringing Labour to a majority government, a close one, but comfortable enough to secure that another election isn't held until 1967, one year later than OTL.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
R4E8sOE.png

Salvador Allende managed to overcome the CIA-funded right wing parties and come pretty close to being elected, but it still wasn't enough. That would, however, strengthen his position as the main opposition leader to the next electoral cycle.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ARhdDmA.png

Johnson's even better image and even greater electoral spending delivered him the largest popular vote majority since James Monroe and the sixth largest overall. Goldwater's position in the Republican party would be even more discredited and the Republicans would enter in a spiral of decadence that would last 'till the 80's

So... Initially I intended for this TL to follow a cronological sequence to this day, but now that i'm thinking about it, this would go rather slow. So i decided to take another approach. I'll post the wiki page about the war itself and then will start meddling posts from different points in time and subjects, like These Fair Shores do.

Moving on, I would very much like to ask you:
  • How you think a Brazil-Argentina War in 1971 over Itaipu would go?
  • How long it would take?
  • How far could Argentina invade Brazil and vice-versa?
  • Who would have the upper hand in land, sea and air?
  • Who is most likely to win and how bad is the other side going to lose?
  • I already decided that one of them will definetely have a nuclear bomb, but before I spill who is it, how you think that would go?
Waiting for your input!

So... Initially I intended for this TL to follow a cronological sequence to this day, but now that i'm thinking about it, this would go rather slow. So i decided to take another approach. I'll post the wiki page about the war itself and then will start meddling posts from different points in time and subjects, like These Fair Shores do.

Moving on, I would very much like to ask you:
  • How you think a Brazil-Argentina War in 1971 over Itaipu would go?
  • How long it would take?
  • How far could Argentina invade Brazil and vice-versa?
  • Who would have the upper hand in land, sea and air?
  • Who is most likely to win and how bad is the other side going to lose?
  • I already decided that one of them will definetely have a nuclear bomb, but before I spill who is it, how you think that would go?
Waiting for your input!
(I'm biased of course, so you should also wait for an Argentine poster to give their own view on the subject)

1) It would be bloody, but as the Argentine government intentionally deindustrialized and kept the Mesopotamian region impoverished (so as to make a Brazilian invasion costly), Brazil would struggle a lot in the start but would most likely win depending on how Jango and the other post-1965 presidents deal with the Armed Forces (besides, Brazil has a lot more manpower to spend)
2) It's a 1 or 100 conflict. It either ends in a matter of weeks with a ceasefire, or it ends with the other side being defeated after years of war. As I said before, Brazil has a bigger chance of winning. An interesting possibility is the Brazilian Navy invading Buenos Aires in a massive sea operation. Although if Argentina has the bomb, they could just nuke Brasília and win the war.
3) Argentina would be able to cease most of the western regions of Santa Catarina, Rio Grande do Sul and Paraná. Maybe even taking Porto Alegre and Florianópolis. But the Brazilian government would use all of its resources to prevent Curitiba from falling, as it would put the Argentine Army way too close to São Paulo, the economic center of the nation. As for a Brazilian invasion, Mesopotamia sans Entre Rios could be occupied easier as it is less populated and it was intentionally weakened so as to not allow Brazil to gain much resources from the region. Argentina (at least on land) would be able to prevent Brazil from conquering Buenos Aires.
4) Land: Argentina has historically in the 19th century at least been stronger on this, but ever since the 1830s (The Regency revolts) Brazil has spent massive sums to improve its army capabilities
Sea: Brazil. It always had a stronger navy, one that was able to blockade Buenos Aires in the Cisplatine War and that aided in the overthrow of Rosas in the Platine War. There was an arms race in the early 20th century, but it was mostly Argentina versus Chile, as Brazil still had an upper-hand.
Air: Brazil could still have Embraer and even then its air sector has been historically stronger than Argentina's (Santos-Dumont)
5) Brazil. Honestly I don't think Brazil would do anything but forcing Argentina to accept all of its demands relating to Itaipu, and maybe some economic compensation for the damages Brazil suffered in the war. Territorial expansion in the late-20th century is ASB.
6) From what I've heard, Argentina was further ahead in its nuclear program.

The River Plate is extremely sallow, I don't know if modern ships can blockade it at all. It's transited because it's being dredged all the time, but remove the dredgers due wartime and enemy ships may just run aground in the middle of the river, specially if a convenient or inconvenient storm pulls the water from below the ships.
Argentina had a more advanced nuclear program in the late 1970s, as well as a nascent rocket program (which put a monkey at a 60km height or something in 1969), but it would really need to be sped up to deliver results within this time frame. The other problem is delivering the bomb, but I guess some country will be willing sell some sort of bomber with a big enough payload bay.
The province of Corrientes is known for its swamps, so I don't think any armored offensive can be conducted there. If tank warfare happens in Argentine territory, it's going to be in Entre Rios and the Argentine army would be expecting it.
Equipment-wise, I don't know how the armed forces of the time compared. The Falklands War showed significant issues with cross service cooperation (or the lack of thereof), logistics and training within the Argentine Armed Forces. Brazil had the experience from WW2 within living memory, so I guess in theory it should have those issues better handled.

Thanks for the input! Regarding international support, how would us and ussr behave? Both Argentina and Brazil would be under american alligned dictaorships at the time, so I guess the USSR wouldn't have much to do here.

As for the SouthAm support, Paraguay logically would be in Brazil side, as it shares Itaipu with it, Uruguay could be in Argentina side fearing being put totally under Brazilian boots. Chile probaly would simp for Brazil, but I guess they wouldn't want to get involved in this quagmire.

I thought about modelling the war in the 1965 Indo-Pakistani War. Two nuclear powers in the making, weird international support, a stalemate yet with Indian advantage.

Finally, how you think the war would affect international markets (and politics)? I thinking about like how the Ukraine War disrupted the grains and ammunitions stocks worldwide

I thinking about like how the Ukraine War disrupted the grains and ammunitions stocks worldwide
Brazil wasn't an agricultural superpower by this point. Argentina had far more relevance in the international market of grains and meat.
However, coffee may see a big price increase as a big portion is produced in Brazil.