Foreign Response to a Different RN

McPherson

Banned
Thanks! I came across a couple of these when you brought this up earlier and I went looking around. It does seem like they are testing them away from the assembly pits?
Yes they were. The pits were for function of the barbette. The shooting range was to proof and measure the gun's ballistics and often at times to test shell function against plate while proofing the gun.

Does anyone know what state the SS Statendam/Justicia was in 1914/1915, she had been launched and fitting out was underway.

According to wiki

Statendam was built at Harland and Wolff in Belfast on the same slip way which had built RMS Titanic, beneath the Arrol Gantry. She was launched on 9 July 1914 but the First World War broke out only weeks later[2] and fitting-out work stopped for a year. In 1915 the British government requisitioned Statendam for use as a troopship. The ship was at first given to the Cunard Line to manage because of the sinking of Lusitania, and the ship was renamed Justicia (Latin for justice) because of their traditional ship suffix -ia. Cunard had difficulty in assembling a crew for Justicia, so the ship was reassigned to the White Star Line, which had the crew of the sunken Britannic available.

Various books list the various liners looked at for conversion to carrier but I dont recall ever seeing Statendam mentioned?

Does anyone know what state the SS Statendam/Justicia was in 1914/1915, she had been launched and fitting out was underway.

According to wiki

Statendam was built at Harland and Wolff in Belfast on the same slip way which had built RMS Titanic, beneath the Arrol Gantry. She was launched on 9 July 1914 but the First World War broke out only weeks later[2] and fitting-out work stopped for a year. In 1915 the British government requisitioned Statendam for use as a troopship. The ship was at first given to the Cunard Line to manage because of the sinking of Lusitania, and the ship was renamed Justicia (Latin for justice) because of their traditional ship suffix -ia. Cunard had difficulty in assembling a crew for Justicia, so the ship was reassigned to the White Star Line, which had the crew of the sunken Britannic available.

Various books list the various liners looked at for conversion to carrier but I dont recall ever seeing Statendam mentioned?
From Wikimedia commons:
1608835674013.jpeg

This is her at launch, AIUI.

She is listed as having 2 decks of superstructure on some literature and that appears to be the case in her pictures. But Lloyd’s register has her at 4/5(https://titanicbelfast.com/Discover/Ship-Fact-Files/Justicia.aspx) So maybe they did the same thing to her they did to her sort of sister, the Belgenland, and just finished her most complete two decks tether than all 4 or 5 originally intended? Seems like either her or Belgenland could have been converted if the will was there.

Last edited:
From Wikimedia commons:
View attachment 610675

She is listed as having 2 decks of superstructure on some literature and that appears to be the case in her pictures. But Lloyd’s register has her at 4/5(https://titanicbelfast.com/Discover/Ship-Fact-Files/Justicia.aspx) So maybe they did the same thing to her they did to her sort of sister, the Belgenland, and just finished her most complete two decks tether than all 4 or 5 originally intended? Seems like either her or Belgenland could have been converted if the will was there.

also found another RMS Aurania

The Aurania was launched on 16 July 1916 and was immediately fitted out as a troopship.

No dimensions listed in that article but the one for her sister ships

say 520ft x 64ft

McPherson

Banned
From Wikimedia commons:
View attachment 610675

Just to point out... She is too slow at 7 m/s ~ 18 knots.

McPherson

Banned
Definitely slower than I would prefer (even Campania was 19.5 kts) but I could see a slower ship being made into a seaplane carrier in certain circumstances.
What about re-engining to boost the watts? Any room for it, or are they stuck with as is?

What about re-engining to boost the watts? Any room for it, or are they stuck with as is?
Probably technically possible. Justicia had two TE engines, probably on the outer screws, and one low pressure turbine. Coal fired, I think. Put in oil firing and all better turbines you may get 21 knots. If the system is redesigned to take advantage. The problem is probably that they were far enough along that it would be a pretty major refit. I am not sure if it would be considered worth it for a conversion.

McPherson

Banned
Probably technically possible. Justicia had two TE engines, probably on the outer screws, and one low pressure turbine. Coal fired, I think. Put in oil firing and all better turbines you may get 21 knots. If the system is redesigned to take advantage. The problem is probably that they were far enough along that it would be a pretty major refit. I am not sure if it would be considered worth it for a conversion.
Well... If the builders are aiming for troop transports, then a hybrid drive makes sense.

Let's look at the rather sparse data... (from wiki)

General characteristics
Type:Steamship
Tonnage:32,234 gross tons
Length:776 ft (237 m)
Beam:86 ft (26 m)
Propulsion:triple expansion steam engines turning two outer propellers, plus an exhaust-steam turbine turning the centre propeller.
Speed:18 kn (21 mph; 33 km/h)
Capacity:Intended passenger capacity of 3,430 people.
Troops:Approximately 4,000

Not even a draft, so I have no idea how to calculate reserve flotation or how to estimate watts needed to drive her at 23-25 knots.

Just to point out... She is too slow at 7 m/s ~ 18 knots.

IIRC, Friedman says that the Empress of Asia, Empress of Russia and Alsation were looked at for conversion but couldn't be spared and there were issues of the cost of converting to a carrier and then back to a liner.

From what I can see these have speeds of 18-19kts so is the 18kts of Statendam too much of a problem?

I've never seem an indication of what level of of completeness the Conte Rosso and Giulio Cesare were in but I have assumed not much more than a hull up to the shelter deck with more complete machinery in the Conte Rosso. Conte Rosso originally had coal fired machinery that was modified and destroyer type boilers substituted so some re-engining for other ships is possible.

Last edited:

McPherson

Banned
From what I can see these have speeds of 18-19kts so is the 18kts of Statendam too much of a problem?

Too much of my 20/20 hindsight. It will prove to the Americans by 1922 (And they knew it from the USS Pennsylvania trials.) that USS Langley would be generally too slow at 6-7 m/s (12-15 knots) so they installed a catapult from the start. The British in WWI probably knew the same thing. I believe they were trying for 10-11 m/s (20-22.5 knots) speed runs on Argus and Eagle. I do not remember if the British installed catapults, but I think they did not as originally built. So I generally think that by WWI standards the British would want 10 m/s (20 knots) was the desired speed run limit and 7-8 m/s (15-17 knots) was the usual air launch speed. An 18 knot passenger liner might not have had the margin desired?

McPherson

Banned
Conte Rosso and Giulio Cesare
Just glanced at Wiki on these potential bird farms... (data from wiki)

Giullo Cesare:
Long enough and fast enough. (See note in parenthesis.)

General characteristics
Class and type:Ocean liner
Tonnage:22,576 GRT
Length:636 ft (193.9 m)
Beam:76.15 ft (23.2 m)
Depth:66.3 ft (20.2 m) (??? Is that correct? Virtually useless in most naval ports extant, even as a transport. McP.)
Decks:4
Installed power:
  • 4 sets of geared steam turbines manufactured by Wallsend Slipway
  • 6 boilers D.E. & four boilers S.E. creating 220lb of steam pressure by Wallsend Slipway & Engineering Company Ltd. Newcastle-on-Tyne
  • 21,800 shp (16,300 kW)
Propulsion:4 × screw
Speed:20 knots (37 km/h; 23 mph)
Capacity:
  • Total passengers:
    • First Class: 244
    • Second Class: 306
    • Tourist Class:1800
Notes:
  • Paintwork:
    • White hull and upper works
    • Boot-topping green
    • Funnels white with red and black tops and narrow green band

Conte Rosso

General characteristics
Type:ocean liner
Tonnage:18,500 GRT
Length:
  • 180 m (590 ft 7 in) o/a
  • 173.8 m (570.2 ft) p/p
Beam:22.5 m (73 ft 10 in)
Draught:9.1 m (30 ft)
Depth:10.9 m (35.9 ft)
Installed power:
  • 18,500 hp (13,795 kW)
  • 3,650 NHP
Propulsion:
Speed:21 knots (39 km/h)
Capacity:
  • 1,500 tons cargo
  • 1,950 passengers:
  • 200 1st class
  • 250 2nd class
  • 1,500 steerage
Notes:sister ship: Conte Verde

Useful potential flattop.

That's not the same ship that was being built in Beardmores yard and the potential sistership to Argus. It's a post war ship built as a replacement for the ship cancelled during WWI.

According to Friedman, the Conte Rosso at Beardmore's was 535 x 68 x 26ft, 18, 530 tons, originally with coal fired machinery developing 18,000hp to give 20.5hp

The dimensions for Argus as built show a longer ship at 565ft

Hull 967 at Swan Hunter was 605ft x 76ft x 22ft 6", 19,000 tons with machinery that could be oil fired that generated 22,000hp to give 20.5kts

Interestingly Friedman states that hull 967 was initially favoured as it was longer and had better subdivsion.

Last edited:

McPherson

Banned
According to Friedman, the Conte Rosso at Beardmore's was 535 x 68 x 26ft, 18, 530 tons, originally with coal fired machinery developing 18,000hp to give 20.5hp

The dimensions for Argus as built show a longer ship at 565ft

Hull 967 at Swan Hunter was 605ft x 76ft x 22ft 6", 19,000 tons with machinery that could be oil fired that generated 22,000hp to give 20.5kts

Interestingly Friedman states that hull 967 was initially favoured as it was longer and had better subdivsion.
Background.

HMS Argus: Expectations
HMS Argus joined the Fleet in September, 1918. She was beginning to get her crew worked up to be an effective ship and to begin offensive operations as soon as possible. Admirals Beatty[picture 8] and Jellicoe could hardly wait to put the ship and its aircraft into action for Argus appeared to have solved the problems involved in landing on a ship at sea, a problem that could not be solved by the partial ‘flying-on decks’ installed on HMS Furious and HMS Vindictive. Then came the Armistice and Argus never did launch any strikes against the German High Seas Fleet. Strangely, within a few short years the Admiralty would be quite willing to scrap its ‘hundred-eyed giant’ (mythological origin of Argus’ name) to gain tonnage as defined in the Washington Treaty of 1922, yet circumstances worked in such a way that she served almost continuously with the Fleet to near the end of WWII, and although she had long since been designated as a training ship, she nevertheless undertook combat patrols at different times during the later war (5). HMS Argus began life as a liner to be built by Beardmore Shipyards for the Italian Lloyd Sabaudo Line as the Conte Rosso. She had a sister ship, Hull 967, at the Swan Hunter yards (to have been named Giulio Cesare). Both of these cargo-liners had been ordered in 1914 but when war broke out, work on them was suspended. Hull 967 was further along in construction than the Conte Rosso but the propulsion machinery of the Beardmore hull was almost complete and as this machinery was the ‘controlling bottleneck’(6) it was chosen in September, 1916, to be completed as an aircraft carrier(7). The yard promised to have the conversion completed by late 1917 but in the event the ship wasn’t ready until the autumn of 1918: much re-thinking of the design took place while the vessel was under construction. The person chiefly responsible for design considerations was J.H.Narbeth, Assistant Director of Naval Construction. It must be remembered that Narbeth, the Admiralty, the aircraft manufacturers, and the pilots were all entering uncharted territory – everything learned by the pilots, for example, would impact on aircraft design and construction, on the design of the ship, and on tactical considerations in creating exercises and actual operations. HMS Argus, as completed, was 565’ overall length, 68’ at the beam , with a mean draught of 21’ (172m x 20.7m x 6.4m); she had four shafts and her 15,000 tons [picture 9]could make a maximum speed of 20.5 knots, somewhat slow for work with the Grand Fleet but her expected accommodation of 20 aircraft was a great improvement over anything previously existing. Provided, of course, that one could actually land, safely and regularly, on a moving ship – and as Argus was being built, that problem had yet to be solved.​
The thing about Giullio Caesare that scorched her, was, I suspect, her unusually deep draft on her hull form.