For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

He was apparently asleep for those two terms cause Mexico turned Commie along with South America and that was OK by him
Ah, so this is a crossover with Red Dawn.
Ah, see, that's the mistake. It should have been apparent from the space stuff that For All Mankind wasn't trying to be that from about the end of Season 1, if not the trailers to Season 2.
Yes, that's honestly the reason I'm waiting until every episode is released before I check the third season out (if not resorting to seafaring acquisition methods...). Given what's been said so far...

MaxGerke01

Banned
Ah, so this is a crossover with Red Dawn.
It would likely be more like The Day After if the Soviets invaded. Gary Hart was no die hard cold warrior but he wouldnt tolerate losing Texas and Florida or anything to the Soviets and they would know that very well.

Last edited:
It's an interesting puzzle, communist Mexico. On the one hand, we've got the example of Cuba, where the US has been comparatively welcoming to refugees due in large part to proximity. On the other hand, that's a relatively small and specific population with a very narrow geographical range of entry points. And by the 1980s the US has a certain flavor of rhetoric building up about immigration over the southern border.

While it's entirely likely that Aleida could've used her position and contacts to get her father back in the country no matter the circumstances (her mentor knows the senator from Texas, after all), my guess is the show is including him here as an example that at least for people with connections in the US, asylum is happening on a broad scale.

I also agree that domestic oil production is probably in little danger, on the whole, as plastics are in absolutely everything these days. It's still reasonable for a small protest to exist in Houston, since sea drilling is always more expensive and thus would certainly be the most marginal part of the sector. There would be job losses in the Gulf and maybe a scaling back of the exploration process on land, too.

I'm not a metallurgist, but right now it's really hard to decarbonize steel production. Does fusion allow an alternative?

That indicates that the Republicans are as every bit as culturally conservative or even more ittl than they were OTL.
Well, unless Pat Robertson moves along with the Overton Window. We don't know what his platform was.

I still think it's likely that both parties maintain the economic orthodoxy established after WWII- big government, high taxes. The GOP is certainly the more conservative party, but how conservative are they?

It would likely be more like The Day After if the Soviets invaded.
Still a missed opportunity. We could have had "Wolverines!" on the Moon.
I'm not a metallurgist, but right now it's really hard to decarbonize steel production. Does fusion allow an alternative?
There are companies in Sweden experimenting with using hydrogen instead of fossil fuels. If electricity were really "too cheap to meter," you could electrolyze water and do that.

MaxGerke01

Banned
It's an interesting puzzle, communist Mexico. On the one hand, we've got the example of Cuba, where the US has been comparatively welcoming to refugees due in large part to proximity. On the other hand, that's a relatively small and specific population with a very narrow geographical range of entry points. And by the 1980s the US has a certain flavor of rhetoric building up about immigration over the southern border.

While it's entirely likely that Aleida could've used her position and contacts to get her father back in the country no matter the circumstances (her mentor knows the senator from Texas, after all), my guess is the show is including him here as an example that at least for people with connections in the US, asylum is happening on a broad scale.
Then again to me its very possible that Aledas father was an exception to the rule given what happened in Mexico, That makes it possible the Democrats have a strong or even stronger guard the Southern border policy than the Republicans do ittl-at least it is in my headcanon. Also perhaps her father was granted refugee status fleeing from the Communist takeover ?

MaxGerke01

Banned
Well, unless Pat Robertson moves along with the Overton Window. We don't know what his platform was.

I still think it's likely that both parties maintain the economic orthodoxy established after WWII- big government, high taxes. The GOP is certainly the more conservative party, but how conservative are they?
Well Id say pretty conservative if he was the nominee just 4 years before. Ellen likely checks the boxes as conservative enough,from Texas and as a woman the Republicans likely see her as as sure in to get the female vote.

1. Great space adventure. One of the best in the modern science fiction. Maybe even the best.

2. The whole alternate history side of the story was just ridiculous. A lot of wishful thinking and dead butterflies.

A couple of thoughts:
- Loved the little cultural bits added to the news recap at the beginning of the episode (and also covered some in the stand-alone shorts that Apple provided). Jordan going to Portland has already been mentioned, but there was also a little bit about The Outpost restaurant being franchised and going global, with locations across the US, in Berlin, and Tokyo. Also, there was a movie made about Gordo and Tracy, which was cool.

- In the news recap, it is very briefly mentioned that AIDS cases are on the rise - AFAIK, the first mention of AIDS at all in this series. I wonder if this may play into the Larry/Ellen story at all? Especially with her running for president.

- As far as the nature of the GOP in this TL, it hasn't been fully established what that looks like. Remember, this is a post-ERA world, and I think the moral majority didn't get off the ground in the same way it did OTL. My guess is that the social conservatism we associate with our GOP may not be as strong in the world of FAM. That said, they still aren't likely to be super friendly to LGBTQ+ rights, so when Ellen comes out/gets outed (which I think will be a plot point this season), there will be major fallout from that.

- With regards to the Soviet Union and its expanding influence, first consider the show laying out Regan and Andropov establishing a new era of detente in the wake of the events in Season 2, which President Hart continues. Being super tough on communism starts to become less of a priority. Also, the last time the USA almost interfered, when Panama went communist in Season 2, the world came to the brink of WWIII, so the appetite for direct involvement just isn't there. Even the Republicans aren't calling for war when the new Mexican president is elected, only to recall ambassadors (which I realize could lead to war depending on how things play out, but they aren't calling for it from the get-go). Furthermore, the show lays out that the USSR has reformed its system into a hybrid model, so it is no longer "pure" communist. I would speculate that the continued space race leads to more consumer goods and a higher standard of living, and then Gorbachev's economic reforms allow for more continued improvement so that collapse doesn't occur.

Well Id say pretty conservative if he was the nominee just 4 years before. Ellen likely checks the boxes as conservative enough,from Texas and as a woman the Republicans likely see her as as sure in to get the female vote.
What I mean is, if the entire world has shifted a bit left, Robertson wouldn't be an exception. He'd still be conservative by the nation's standards, but not as conservative as he is IOTL. Until we see some policies there's no way to tell.

MaxGerke01

Banned
- In the news recap, it is very briefly mentioned that AIDS cases are on the rise - AFAIK, the first mention of AIDS at all in this series. I wonder if this may play into the Larry/Ellen story at all? Especially with her running for president.
Which opens Ellen up to even more hypocrisy as the 1992 Republican nominee.
- As far as the nature of the GOP in this TL, it hasn't been fully established what that looks like. Remember, this is a post-ERA world, and I think the moral majority didn't get off the ground in the same way it did OTL. My guess is that the social conservatism we associate with our GOP may not be as strong in the world of FAM. That said, they still aren't likely to be super friendly to LGBTQ+ rights, so when Ellen comes out/gets outed (which I think will be a plot point this season), there will be major fallout from that.
Well you have to remember Par Robertson was their 1988 nominee and unless he is radically different from OTl the Republicans must still be pretty conservative at least culturally.Does anyone think that Robertson or even Reagan or whoever the 1984 nominee was would approve of a lesbian as the Republican nominee?
- With regards to the Soviet Union and its expanding influence, first consider the show laying out Regan and Andropov establishing a new era of detente in the wake of the events in Season 2, which President Hart continues. Being super tough on communism starts to become less of a priority. Also, the last time the USA almost interfered, when Panama went communist in Season 2, the world came to the brink of WWIII, so the appetite for direct involvement just isn't there. Even the Republicans aren't calling for war when the new Mexican president is elected, only to recall ambassadors (which I realize could lead to war depending on how things play out, but they aren't calling for it from the get-go). Furthermore, the show lays out that the USSR has reformed its system into a hybrid model, so it is no longer "pure" communist. I would speculate that the continued space race leads to more consumer goods and a higher standard of living, and then Gorbachev's economic reforms allow for more continued improvement so that collapse doesn't occur.
Totally agree here.

As for Commie Mexico it probably, didn’t help the PRI was very corrupt and the Indigenous peoples weren’t happy. Also the 1985 earthquake shook things up.

MaxGerke01

Banned
What I mean is, if the entire world has shifted a bit left, Robertson wouldn't be an exception. He'd still be conservative by the nation's standards, but not as conservative as he is IOTL. Until we see some policies there's no way to tell.
If he still is the conservative Christian minister along with his political aspirations as per OTL then we really have no reason to think he isnt.He is possibly less conservative on some non cultural issues but unless his brand of Christianity radically changed especially on the issue we are talking about then I see no real reason to think he changed that much and the pod we have here doesnt really allow for that.

Which opens Ellen up to even more hypocrisy as the 1992 Republican nominee.

Well you have to remember Par Robertson was their 1988 nominee and unless he is radically different from OTl the Republicans must still be pretty conservative at least culturally.Does anyone think that Robertson or even Reagan or whoever the 1984 nominee was would approve of a lesbian as the Republican nominee?

Totally agree here.

As I said, I don't think that the GOP will still be all that great towards LGBTQ+ issues at this point in the TL, but I do agree with others that have pointed out that the whole country (indeed, much of the world) has had a leftward shift on social issues compared to OTL. So yes, Robertson is still a social conservative ITTL, but that doesn't mean the same thing to the FAM world as it does to us. The ERA was one of the early galvanizing points for the social conservatives. It's been part of the constitution ITTL since the 70s, so I think that it is likely that the social conservatives don't have as strong a sway and aren't as militant as OTL. I could be wrong, but as has been pointed out, until/unless the show explains what the GOP platform is, it's hard to say for sure one way or the other.

MaxGerke01

Banned
As for Commie Mexico it probably, didn’t help the PRI was very corrupt and the Indigenous peoples weren’t happy. Also the 1985 earthquake shook things up.
Thats another reason Hart could have allowed in some refugees and perhaps thats when Aleidas father came back.