For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

We actually got to see Jamestown extensively! Huzzah!

Its through the eyes of an alcoholic prima donna whose supposed charisma and camera appeal is one of the most informed attributes I’ve ever seen.
Yay...

Killing the ants would be the easiest things in the world, surprised they haven’t done it. Depressurize the base, problem solved. A few ant baits would work just fine, too.

Also, why do they have gelatinized eggs? Just send up liquid eggs by the gallon, and have a hot plate to cook them with (it would have some sort of compartment like a microwave to keep the mess contained). Would be a huge QoL improvement.

Also, why do they have gelatinized eggs? Just send up liquid eggs by the gallon, and have a hot plate to cook them with (it would have some sort of compartment like a microwave to keep the mess contained). Would be a huge QoL improvement.
I'd imagine they try to avoid too much cooking to avoid contaminating the air. NASA is very strict about what goes up into space as its near impossible to get rid of smells in space and the possibility of contaminating experiments cause you burnt your Eggs Benedict is likely too much. They're probably also using the similar food to the zero-g astronauts to save money. Not a nutritional expert but there's probably some energy-to-weight and cost to launch math that makes gelatinized eggs more effective

I'd imagine they try to avoid too much cooking to avoid contaminating the air. NASA is very strict about what goes up into space as its near impossible to get rid of smells in space and the possibility of contaminating experiments cause you burnt your Eggs Benedict is likely too much. They're probably also using the similar food to the zero-g astronauts to save money. Not a nutritional expert but there's probably some energy-to-weight and cost to launch math that makes gelatinized eggs more effective
Hence my comment about having a microwave-like container for cooking. Picture this: you have a jug of liquid eggs, with a spigot at the bottom. Spigot pours predetermined amount directly into the 'microwave,' which will not open until they're done cooking. Said unit is not actually a microwave, but has a hot plate on the bottom (perhaps it turns like the turntable in a real microwave), and its sole purpose is to keep airborne food particles contained. As an added bonus, if there are any other foods that can be sent up, you can have omelettes with whatever those foods are (maybe things that could also be in a spigot). Would be a great way to get some variety without making too much of a mess.

Hence my comment about having a microwave-like container for cooking. Picture this: you have a jug of liquid eggs, with a spigot at the bottom. Spigot pours predetermined amount directly into the 'microwave,' which will not open until they're done cooking. Said unit is not actually a microwave, but has a hot plate on the bottom (perhaps it turns like the turntable in a real microwave), and its sole purpose is to keep airborne food particles contained. As an added bonus, if there are any other foods that can be sent up, you can have omelettes with whatever those foods are (maybe things that could also be in a spigot). Would be a great way to get some variety without making too much of a mess.

They're literally using a corridor as a science lab, space is obviously at a premium, the space needed for your suggested deluxe omelette maker would likely be better suited to storage for more zappable food rations.

They're literally using a corridor as a science lab, space is obviously at a premium, the space needed for your suggested deluxe omelette maker would likely be better suited to storage for more zappable food rations.
I imagine gelatinized eggs are also probably more shelf-stable then liquid ones, meaning you have less to worry about if a supply mission runs late

They have something for food prep, do they not?
I imagine gelatinized eggs are also probably more shelf-stable then liquid ones, meaning you have less to worry about if a supply mission runs late
It would seem that liquid eggs are fridge stable for 10 days, so you've got a very strong point there.

Unrelated to any of this, but my wife and I were discussing the ending. Did anyone else get a very uncomfortably flirty vibe from how the Stevens' kid (whose name I'm not going to bother to look up) was talking to Karen?

Unrelated to any of this, but my wife and I were discussing the ending. Did anyone else get a very uncomfortably flirty vibe from how the Stevens' kid (whose name I'm not going to bother to look up) was talking to Karen?
I did get that feeling too and was genuinely expecting the episode to end with her cheating on Ed as some form of her getting back at him for scaring the crap out of her. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s how the original draft for episode finished and they decided to change it later

Last edited:
Yeah, same here. Was wondering if it was just my mind in the gutter, so it's reassuring that others have seen it.

They have something for food prep, do they not?

It would seem that liquid eggs are fridge stable for 10 days, so you've got a very strong point there.

Yes! It feels like the writers are setting something up. I swear I got that vibe from the first episodes too.

Yes! It feels like the writers are setting something up. I swear I got that vibe from the first episodes too.
It was definitely in there earlier, when they were smoking pot.

I can see where Danny's coming from, psychologically. As he said (and we have no reason not to believe him) Shane's death is the most important event in his childhood. And he probably doesn't have anyone around who really understands. I doubt he can even talk about it with his mom and dad, given their relationships. His brother has probably heard him out, but I doubt he really "gets it." And he's not going to approach "The Admiral" with this one.

There's an intimacy there with Karen that we even saw back in season 1 when he brought her the Pinewood Derby car.

That alone is going to draw him to Karen in some capacity. And he's a young guy, might not be able to process those feelings in a more...nuanced way? Then again, he might surprise us. But they're definitely asking us to wonder.

You've mentioned several times how you think liking the show and its characters is an invalid opinion, I have absolutely heard you.
Citation needed - and something more than me criticizing the show itself. Quote me criticizing people for liking the show or the characters or don't put words in my mouth.

Citation needed - and something more than me criticizing the show itself. Quote me criticizing people for liking the show or the characters or don't put words in my mouth.
I feel like I spent all last week trying to get that much. If you're saying it's not so I will gladly admit that the error must have been mine.

Clarification: you spent last week trying to get what?
That you (and admittedly others) weren't trying to insist it was invalid to like the show or the characters. If you're saying it's not so I will gladly admit the error must have been mine.

That you (and admittedly others) weren't trying to insist it was invalid to like the show or the characters. If you're saying it's not so I will gladly admit the error must have been mine.
I certainly wasn't trying to. I honestly can't see any way to interpret our criticisms of the show, the characters, or the studio as invalidating anyone else's appreciation of them. I don't see any point in asking you to admit an error, we're just arguing over a show.

As I said before, there's plenty about the show that I enjoy, and that is a large part of why I criticize it. There's many worse shows out there I could not care less about, that I wouldn't spend a second of my life to bother criticizing because I do not care about them.

I certainly wasn't trying to. I honestly can't see any way to interpret our criticisms of the show, the characters, or the studio as invalidating anyone else's appreciation of them. I don't see any point in asking you to admit an error, we're just arguing over a show.

As I said before, there's plenty about the show that I enjoy, and that is a large part of why I criticize it. There's many worse shows out there I could not care less about, that I wouldn't spend a second of my life to bother criticizing because I do not care about them.
Right on, happy to move on