For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

Oh, also just remembered that NASA’s budget is not only self-sustaining, but likely to balloon in the future thanks to patent income. They won’t need conflict to advance progress in space continuously.

Internationalizing the program could be a way to keep it going without conflict. Lock in budgets at a higher level as a standing treaty commitment and inertia will carry it pretty far. Not to mention cost savings from streamlining several programs into one.

Several pretty unrelated characters have brought up private space efforts, too. I'm a little skeptical on the practicality of this, but from a purely narrative standpoint I think the show might be heading that way.

We are started to see this happen in the 2010-the 2020s all you would need is some rich person who sees the value in space pushing into that area like Spacex is doing and I could see that at least starting to happen by the mid-1990s. It'll likely only really took off in the mid-2000s but it is doable.

MaxGerke01

Banned
I notice Space :1999 was mentioned in sort of a casual way which could imply it had a longer more successful run ITTL .... Also what was Reagan appearing on was that a video phone or a type of Zoom ?

Last edited:
I notice Space :1999 was mentioned in sort of a casual way which could imply it had a longer more successful run ITTL .... Also what was Reagan appearing on was that a video phone or a type of Zoom ?
i wonder also because i saw NO Star Trek stuff in bill Strasse home

Those are Videophones they were Analog technogly from 1970s seems in this TL they became more popular thanks NASA...

Could be lots of reasons why it was Space: 1999 and not Trek. Not exactly sure how Moore would feel about mentioning Trek. Not sure how Apple would feel. Not sure how CBS would feel. Similar with BSG (add NBC). But it's also reasonable to look at how the show has increased the reach of sci-fi and assume that any sci-fi show could've had a better outcome. The fact that it's British makes me a little more skeptical, but it's certainly well within reason.

It's also completely reasonable that two engineers working for NASA in 1983 would know an obscure cult sci-fi show no one in the general public had ever heard of.

MaxGerke01

Banned
i wonder also because i saw NO Star Trek stuff in bill Strasse home

Those are Videophones they were Analog technogly from 1970s seems in this TL they became more popular thanks NASA...

Could be lots of reasons why it was Space: 1999 and not Trek. Not exactly sure how Moore would feel about mentioning Trek. Not sure how Apple would feel. Not sure how CBS would feel. Similar with BSG (add NBC). But it's also reasonable to look at how the show has increased the reach of sci-fi and assume that any sci-fi show could've had a better outcome. The fact that it's British makes me a little more skeptical, but it's certainly well within reason.

It's also completely reasonable that two engineers working for NASA in 1983 would know an obscure cult sci-fi show no one in the general public had ever heard of.
Well Star Trek has been mentioned as when Ed had the ending of Wrath of Khan revealed to him out of spite. Im not thinking its Space 1999 instead of Trek but that Space 1999 as well as perhaps other sci fi shows like TOS BSG were more popular ittl and had longer runs on television. Something like V was a huge hit on tv in OTL 1983, Ittl its numbers would probably be much bigger....

On thing that does amuse me is the parallel with OTLs 2000 election snafu and TTLs 1976. More likely someone as scandal prone as Ted Kennedy would’ve been walloped by Reagan.

MaxGerke01

Banned
On thing that does amuse me is the parallel with OTLs 2000 election snafu and TTLs 1976. More likely someone as scandal prone as Ted Kennedy would’ve been walloped by Reagan.
Well it depends somewhat on how conservative a country ttls US was in 1976 . Overall the fact that Ted Kennedy beat Nixon in 1972 indicates its at least somewhat less conservative than OTL US of 1972 where Nixon slaughetered McGovern. It was probably the sex scandal that cost Ted Kennedy reelection of course but if things were going good in space,in the Middle East and elsewhere is there any reason to think that Kennedy wouldnt have been reelected and by a comfortable margin in 1976 ?
Also if what just happened on the Moon escalates to a near nuclear confrontation because the US made a mistake Hart or whomever the Democratic nominee is will be positioned to run using the fear of nuclear destruction if Reagan's VP or whomever the Republican nominee is gets in . OTL 1964 showed that if people really feared a nuclear conflict they would pick the less bellicose choice.

I keep reading the FAM wiki about Ted Kennedy being involved in a sex scandal with Kopechne (Isn't this out of character for her?) and Nixon still experiencing his wiretapping scandal, but he later gets pardoned by Kennedy.

Which episodes mention these events?

Otherwise, it's just head-canon.

Also, thank you to all those who answered my questions on episode 8.

Last edited:
I keep reading the FAM wiki about Ted Kennedy being involved in a sex scandal with Kopechne (Isn't this out of character for her?) and Nixon still experiencing his wiretapping scandal, but he later gets pardoned by Kennedy.

Which episodes mention these events?

Otherwise, it's just head-canon.
In episode 6 of season 1, there's a brief voiceover between Kennedy and Nixon where the former lets the latter know he's being pardoned (and Nixon complaining about it). The Kopechne thing was in episode 7 on one of the news reports playing in the bar

It was probably the sex scandal that cost Ted Kennedy reelection of course but if things were going good in space,in the Middle East and elsewhere is there any reason to think that Kennedy wouldnt have been reelected and by a comfortable margin in 1976 ?
The Apollo 23 & 24 incidents probably also did a number on his public image too. Even if the information about the faulty parts coming from a politically motivated contract never comes to light, 2 very high profile accidents aren't going to look good

Last edited:
In episode 6 of season 1, there's a brief voiceover between Kennedy and Nixon where the former lets the latter know he's being pardoned (and Nixon complaining about it). The Kopechne thing was in episode 7 on one of the news reports playing in the bar

The Apollo 23 & 24 incidents probably also did a number on his public image too. Even if the information about the faulty parts coming from a politically motivated contract never comes to light, 2 very high profile accidents aren't going to look good

Thank you!

I found a video that documents the news coverage (and commercials!) of Pope John Paul II's assassination attempt on May 13, 1981. We see Reagan, Bush Sr., and Ted Kennedy, among the people who make their own personal statement.

Instead of hearing about his recovery in the For All Mankind timeline, Dan Rather would be telling us of the pontiff's death.

Remember Monkey Business and Donna Rice? If this happens in 1988....nothing like a Presidential sex scandal to liven up the campaign.

MaxGerke01

Banned
So, if a Democrat wins in 1984, does that mean a Republican wins 1992? Or...
Its possible they will continue to do that not only because it keeps it balanced in terms of the 2 parties but its also the alternate or flip side from what we had OTL and having this be an AH beyond what happens with NASA is a clear part of what RDM is doing.

I saw this pointed out on another forum.

They painted the M-16s white to help stop it from absorbing the sun's heat... but what about internal heat? Where is that going to dissipate to?

Loved the unexpected ending of episode 9!

Another Lennon news report? Sigh...
Why can’t we hear from other celebrities or at least some other news report on how Sadat or any other historical figure are doing? (Eh, well, at least we are hearing more about Panama getting cozy with the Soviets.)

I’m glad to see that Molly has the most stable marriage out of all the main characters.

Karen just became even more unlikable.

Random head-canon of mine: Unless otherwise stated officially from the writers, I am going to assume that the Vice-President under President Ted Kennedy’s term was George McGovern. It’s a nice little reference to how in OTL, McGovern tried to convince Kennedy to be his running mate during the 1972 DNC.

Last edited:
As I said, the Soviets believe in active defence. From their POV they were attacked: one of their cosmonauts was murdered in very gruesome way, another was kidnapped (they will not believe in his defection. I personally also find it a little too much, although USSR ITTL seems to be much more hardline than IOTL). They probably honestly believe about nukes aboard the Sea Dragon. IOTL the Soviets really thought the West wishes to destroy them (operation RYaN) and ITTL tensions between superpowers went even higher. I wouldn't be surprised if the cosmonauts aboard Soyuz were armed and tried to take over Apollo. although it woul be stupid from propaganda POV. I think in the last episode of the season we will have a standoff in space and I wonder how the show creators will diffuse the situation. Because if they don't, the third season will be WW3 in space. I just hope it will not be some kind "America f..k yeah". However the Soviets in the show so far are not devils, but human beings presented generally in not a bad light (unlike their state). Perhaps the attack on Jamestown will prove to be a private initiative of the Soviet commander? Not very probable, but he was really angry about gruesome death of his comrade.

I must say that I didn't see that ending coming at all. On the one hand, it is nice to have a Soviet equivalent of the Americans retaking of the mining site. On the other hand this seems to be the show's way to raise the tensions between the two superpowers and nearly start World War 3. I'm unsure how to feel about it. I like that it isn't just more America fuck yeah shit. We really needed a counter to the American's retaking of the mining site but it does raise the question of now that Jamestown is now occupied by the Soviets what's the American's response going to be? After all this is way more than a simple misunderstanding in a heat of the moment type thing. This was clearly planned beforehand and that means questions need to be asked. Was this a state-backed attack or was this just on the orders of that one guy whose name I can't recall? If it was backed by the Soviet Union we are likely looking at the start of the Third World War.

We get a second Seadragon launch and we finally get to see what Pathfinder looks like. Honestly, I feel a little disappointed by the design and I can't help wondering if the launch system they're using is practical. The plane they're launching from looks like a C-5 Galaxy while Pathfinder itself seems more like a brick then a plausible spaceplane.