For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

@Allochronian the cosmonauts were definitely using some Russian words. I guess they could’ve been Ukrainian, but they’re probably not going to be on the Moon without learning Russian.

Edit: Oh and those South Vietnamese flags are pretty common in the US Vietnamese community IOTL. It’s heritage, I reckon.

Last edited:
I doubt the show is going to have a war between the soviets and US.

The most I can see happening is small skirmishes, proxies, shit flinging, but no WW3. That would end the space program quick.

Deleted member 2186

I doubt the show is going to have a war between the soviets and US.

The most I can see happening is small skirmishes, proxies, shit flinging, but no WW3. That would end the space program quick.
Maybe a Luna War, the Soviets only need to bring some space capable AK-47s and we can have a silent shooting war.

Yeah, that would be a frack-up of truly epic proportions. You just killed a Cosmonaut on neutral ground, wounded another, and regardless of KAL 007, the Soviets would have every reason to go on the offensive, after all they weren't the ones that put Guns on the moon or missiles on a space shuttle. In fact I imagine that all of this would be taking a toll on the US reputation in general, it can't look like anything other than the US declaring in practical terms that all of the Moon belongs to the United States.

So, since there is a South Vietnamese flag, maybe there are still two Vietnam’s, although I don’t know how plausible that is.

Not necessarily. The refugees from South Vietnam might use the flag as a symbol of their identity and as a proof they do not accept annexation of their country by North Vietnam. It is not unusual for emigrates to use flags of their old countries as reminders where they come from.

The ending was a surprise! I initially thought the Americans were going to get ambushed! From my perspective, I looks like the whole thing was set up to make the Moon Marines look bad. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Soviet government picked two cosmonauts who were speaking some other Cyrillic alphabet language that wasn’t Russian and told them to open up a box when the Americans show up. Can anyone verify what language the cosmonauts were speaking?

My Russian is quite rusty, but I'm pretty sure that they spoke normal Russian. I'v heard frazes like: "Put your weapons down, we're not a threat to you. Do not shoot. We'll explain everything, just give us a minute. We're not doing anything wrong."
I am a little suprised the cosmonauts didn't speak English and needed a short dictionary. I would think the Soviets would send men who know at least some English, considering US and Soviet bases seem to be relatively close and even accidental contact was possible. OTOH the Americans spoke Russian to them first (although with terrible accent) so they had reason to believe they would be understood even if speaking Russian. And if not, since the cosmonauts didn't speak English, they tried to communicate the best way they could.

To be honest it's hard to blame the Soviets here. They were unarmed, and while they were close to US mining facility, they didn't try to enter it. The Americans came to them. The place the cosmonauts were in was not marked in any way as US property, and American claims to it were rather dubious - their only right to that precise piece of the Moon were their rifles and willingness to use them. IMO it was a little like US Navy ships firing at Soviet hydrographic ship on international waters. Even if the Soviets were spying on them, that is not a reason to kill. Not without war.
The consequences will be... severe. The Soviets will be pissed off. From their POV one of their cosmonauts was murdered. He was unarmed, he didn't pose any threat to the Americans and he wasn't in their territory. The next spaceship to Zvezda base will have a Spetsnaz team aboard (unless they are already therer). Not necessarily to attack Jamestown, but to protect Zvezda. It's just the Soviets believe in active defence.
The Apollo-Soyuz mission is out. The Soviet narration will be: how can our cosmonauts shake hands with people who murdered their comrade?
The American prestige gets a big hit: the Americans brought weapons to the Moon and they were first to deliberately kill another human in space. The best way for US would be to cover all of it, but that might mean killing the other cosmonaut to eliminate a witness. And the Soviets will send a team to check what happened to their comrades who are not coming back for so long...
The arms race in space will get even stronger. I'm pretty sure the Soviets already have plansto arm Buran. Now in its fiirst flight it will be armed for sure. And the Soviets mu dust off MiG-105 or perhaps procede with Uragan (allegedly a space fighter, if it existed at all).

Last edited:
Also, why was the cosmonaut burning inside his suit?
normal they have low pressure, pure oxygen in space suit
i think that bullet hit electronic part of suit as it's perforate,
the suit system notice pressure lost and increase more oxygen into the suit
that damage electronic part of suit short-circuit and a flash fire burns inside of suit and oxygen burn with everything...

If there arms race they will install in Buran the good old Rikhter R-23. auto canon used on Salut-3.
follow by AK-47 for lunar use...
on Pathfinder to equip with AIM-54 make no sense (with out modification) those would only flight straight once launch

for rest good episode
except that the Shuttle to Moon become a In-joke of a McGuffin in this show ...

Well, there goes the moral high ground. While the American attack was unprovoked...can’t help but feel like ‘don’t reach into a box when you have a gun pointed at you’ should have been common sense. Curious design for the Soviet suits, I must say—helmets look more like antique diving gear than real space helmets.

Seems Sally Ride has ethical qualms about flying a military mission—wonder if that’ll come to a head next episode.

Poor dumb Danny Stevens. But still...don’t shit where you eat, man. You’ll be lucky if ADMIRAL Baldwin reassigns you to permanent duty in Antarctica at this rate. What’s your next plan, genius, seducing Nancy Reagan?

I like Gordo’s progress. Still, it ain’t over until he has a rematch with the moon ants.

Sucks for Mollie, the whole glaucoma thing.

Wonder what the ‘hush-hush’ thing launched on the last Sea Dragon was. Nuclear warheads?

They were clearly channeling Apollo 13’s shot of Ken Mattingly watching the Saturn V launch with Ed watching Columbia there.

Good lord, that poor cosmonaut. Burning to death and no hope of putting the fire out. You might be able to bleed oxygen out to kill the fire but that's probably easier said then done and they likely would have died of burns anyway. I wonder what they were working on so close to the americans. It looked like some kind of rover to me, possibly as a way to spy on the americans in the crater without risking their own people.

Wonder what the ‘hush-hush’ thing launched on the last Sea Dragon was. Nuclear warheads?
Possibly something related to SDI?

Secret cargo, hm. Well...they’re Marines....could it be dip?:p

No, how about an armored vehicle?
I suddenly remebered a documentary film "Tank on the Moon" about Lunokhods. Let's just say that Lunokhod 6 might be a little bigger, a little better armoured and completely accidentaly armed with 76,2 mm cannon - just for scientific purposes, of course. Research in balistics, or something like that.
But more seriously, military escalation in space is on. And the Soviet won't let anyone forget the Americans started it.

It won't be war though. We've got a 3rd season coming (which I believe was confirmed to be set in the 90s?), I can't see there being a space program 10 years later if there was nuclear war.

They should have had an interpreter with them.

Maybe a Luna War, the Soviets only need to bring some space capable AK-47s and we can have a silent shooting war.
Oh damn, yeah they can't hear the guns being fired on the moon it would be perfect for sneak attacks. Though they also can't hear them shooting back.

Last edited:
I think there might be some incident on the Moon with losses on both sides until cooler heads (Margo and her Soviet boyfriend?) prevail and USA and USSR work out some kind of modus vivendi, perhaps a demarcation line or something. IMO the third season will be about the fall of the USSR, cooperation between USA and Russian, with Americans shocked both how far behind them the Soviets really were technologically and what they were able to achieve with their lesser tech. And that some of their ideas were surprisingly good. Eventually we will have a Mars mission, a multinational one. For all mankind.
Or USSR somehow survives, but I doubt it. The Soviet economy will not be able to keep up for long.

IMO the third season will be about the fall of the USSR, cooperation between USA and Russian
i think not that USSR is gone in Season 3

First no Afghanistan war, the Soviets put that money partly into there Space Race
means if successor of Andropov takes over the USSR, is better shape financial as OTL
biggest question will Gorbachov become leader in TL or someone else ?

Next to that they need a rival to push the USA further in Space Race for Story sake
means either the USSR or China in season 3

i think not that USSR is gone in Season 3

First no Afghanistan war, the Soviets put that money partly into there Space Race
means if successor of Andropov takes over the USSR, is better shape financial as OTL
biggest question will Gorbachov become leader in TL or someone else ?

Next to that they need a rival to push the USA further in Space Race for Story sake
means either the USSR or China in season 3
Internationalizing the program could be a way to keep it going without conflict. Lock in budgets at a higher level as a standing treaty commitment and inertia will carry it pretty far. Not to mention cost savings from streamlining several programs into one.

Several pretty unrelated characters have brought up private space efforts, too. I'm a little skeptical on the practicality of this, but from a purely narrative standpoint I think the show might be heading that way.