For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

Here’s a summary of all the news reports from the For All Mankind page in Apple TV.

1975 - Unmanned Hermes lands on Mars using airbags. Deploys rover Sojourner. First man made object to land on Mars, beating Soviets. Several previous missions failed including US Viking and Soviet Mars landers.

1976 - Reagan defeats Kennedy after a 5-4 Supreme Court decision states all partially marked ballots in Ohio must be counted. Reagan wins Ohio by 713 votes giving him the needed Electoral College votes to win.

1977 - Sea Dragon launches. Cargo rocket carries over 1 million pounds of building supplies, equipment, and fuel for Jamestown expansion and mining operations. Sea Dragon almost entirely reusable. Reagan campaigned in part on continued growth of space program. He wants to expand use of Sea Dragon in the future, both on the Moon and beyond.

1978 - Close Encounters of the Third Kind wins all 12 Oscars it was nominated for, including Best Picture. Richard Dreyfus wins for Close Encounters and was also nominated for The Goodbye Girl. Star Wars wins two Oscars. Diane Keaton wins Best Actress for Annie Hall, its only win.

1979 - US keeps Panama Canal. “We bought it. We paid for it. We built it and we intend to keep it.” Panama increasingly under Soviet influence, demands ownership of the Canal, and sees anti-American riots. Reagan reversed Kennedy’s more conciliatory position on the Canal. Canal is key transportation route for Sea Dragon which travels from Cape Kennedy to its launch site near Guam.

1980 - John Lennon shot twice, but survives assassination attempt. Lennon was leaving recording studio with fellow musician Burley Day after working on anti-war song. Day tackled Mark David Chapman and got gun out of Chapman’s hand.

1981 - Military Space Shuttle launches. This is not the first Shuttle launch, but is the first launch intended solely for military use. Shuttle launches from Vandenberg and flies over troubled Middle East region after failure of Camp David talks between Israel and Egypt. News report specifically mentions Shuttle has ability to attack targets with little to no warning. Soviet Union claims to be months away from launching its own shuttle.

1982 - Berlin Crisis. Couple scales Berlin Wall to escape East Germany. East German and Soviet border guards pursued them into West Berlin in a tank and killed the couple. Tank challenged by heavily armored US and West German troops. Small arms fire exchanged. Tense stand-off lasts until morning. Reports of Soviet reinforcements cause US to go to DEFCON 4.

EDIT: Here are additional news reports from the Apple app for the show. It has Danny Stevens, son of astronauts Gordo and Tracy looking at momentos, one of which is a VHS tape. The app takes place in Summer 1980.

On February 3, 1980 US rescues hostages from embassy in Iran. US uses 8 Sea Stallion helicopters, but when they got to the staging area, 2 broke down with mechanical problems and the remaining 6 continued the mission after avoiding a sandstorm. 6 hostages and 3 Delta Force soldiers killed in operation. Estimated that dozens of Iranians were also killed.

Mission Commander Tracy Stevens launches on maiden voyage of Shuttle Atlantis. Brings crew replacement for Skylab. This is Stevens’ third trip to Skylab.

Congress passes law allowing NASA to keep money it gets from patents on technologies it develops. Previously the money went back to federal government. This is to allow NASA to reduce its burden to the American taxpayer.

Last edited:
1982 - Berlin Crisis. Couple scales Berlin Wall to escape East Germany. East German and Soviet border guards pursued them into West Berlin in a tank and killed the couple. Tank challenged by heavily armored US and West German troops. Small arms fire exchanged. Tense stand-off lasts until morning. Reports of Soviet reinforcements cause US to go to DEFCON 4.
I assume Apple+ didn´t put much thought in this, because it has a lot of problems.
1. The Soviets didn´t act as border guards. Thats was strictly a east german job.
2. It is strange, that the guards followed the refugess to West Berlin, what never happend IOTL.
3, There were no West German troops in West Berlin.

Some ideas for this:
1. The GDR is much more unstable, forcing the Soviets to play amuch more active role in guarding the border. Reasons for this can be - a) because of the Space race the East bloc economy decline even faster or b) the Soviet moon landing butterflied away the Ostpolitik.
2. The new Soviet border guards are very inexperient (or very arrogant) and don´t realize, its a bad idea to roll into West Berlin.
3. Because of a much Colder War, the American invite West German forces to Berlin (unrealistiic) or they paramilitirice the police in West Berlin.

Last edited:
1979 - US keeps Panama Canal. “We bought it. We paid for it. We built it and we intend to keep it.” Panama increasingly under Soviet influence, demands ownership of the Canal, and sees anti-American riots. Reagan reversed Kennedy’s more conciliatory position on the Canal. Canal is key transportation route for Sea Dragon which travels from Cape Kennedy to its launch site near Guam.

1980 - John Lennon shot twice, but survives assassination attempt. Lennon was leaving recording studio with fellow musician Burley Day after working on anti-war song. Day tackled Mark David Chapman and got gun out of Chapman’s hand.
Given that Central America was a Cold War-hotspot and Lennon explicit working on an anti-war song, it seems possible, that the region will turn in 1979/80 in some kind of mini-Vietnam. The USA will propably invade Panama, to get rid of the pro-soviet goverment and will intervent in Nicaragua, to prevent a take over of the Sandinistas. It would explain, why Reagan seams to be relative unpopular in 1980 (again only just a close election win). Given the US ability to dominate the area, it seems possibble, things are halway under controll in 1981. Reagan ITTL is much closer George W. Bush(but propably more successfull9.

Just dropped everything to watch the new one! Sort of regrouping from the premier, it seems, but I like the character development. When BSG was working, it always gave space for character development.

Nice to see Garrett Riesman (technical consultant for FAM and a former astronaut) get a cameo, was probably pretty nice for him to get back into a shuttle, even if it was just a TV set this time.

Latest episode has established that Sea Dragon launches still take place but seem to be relegated to unmanned and/or resupply missions to the Moon. Shuttles seem to be the primary vehicle for getting personal to and from the Moon, which even to my minimal knowledge of spacecraft does not seem like a good fit

One thing I wondering about. Why skylab? You have SeaDragon! You can put up the iss in one go! Multiple bigger ones infact, one for the airforce one for nasa/esa even. Why work to keep that one up when ragone probably wonts his freedom station at this point.
I think they launch this with one on Saturn V in 1970s keep operational with Apollo CSM flights until Shuttle was Launch take over the Job form CSM

Btw somebody on here definitely called Gary Hart as the ‘84 nominee. Who was it?

It’s still early days, but this show likes to signal it’s political developments superliminally, so it seems likely. Are we going to have two Dems in a row with sex scandals? First Teddy now Gary?

Do we know, who is Reagans VP?

Based on the photos from the "Reagan Defeats Kennedy" video, Richard Schweiker is Reagan's VP.

Btw somebody on here definitely called Gary Hart as the ‘84 nominee. Who was it?

It’s still early days, but this show likes to signal it’s political developments superliminally, so it seems likely. Are we going to have two Dems in a row with sex scandals? First Teddy now Gary?

Based on the most recent episode, my hunch is that the show is signaling that Gary Hart will win 1984. I was admittedly surprised that they didn't go with John Glenn, but it kind of makes sense now that I've thought about it more. IOTL, Hart attacked Mondale for being insufficiently opposed to Reagan's intervention in Central America. Given that 3 million Americans have demonstrated against Reagan's Panama policy, I don't think it would be that unreasonable for Hart to win the nomination by positioning himself as the peace candidate. Plus, John Glenn was an uncharismatic candidate and was extremely vague on most of his positions IOTL, so that would portray Gary Hart's "New Ideas" theme in a much more favorable light by comparison. I'd even imagine ITTL, Hart asks Glenn "Where's the beef?"

MaxGerke01

Banned

That might have been me .Was he mentioned in episode 2? Great sign if he was. Its probably too late for him regarding anything he dide pre 1984 but as long as he isnt caught doing anything while campaigning or in the White House he sholud be ok. I could see

Richard Nixon (R) 1969-1973
Ted Kennedy (D) 1973-1977
Ronald Reagan (R) 1977-1985
Gary Hart (D) 1985-1993
Colin Powell (R) 1993-2001
Sally Ride (D) 2001-2009

I really like seeing Larry and Ellen together. I was afraid that the show might try and cast Larry as this big bad guy or as them being emotionally distant but showing how close the two of them have become because after thirteen years of marriage, of course they are but also they're more of the best friends type of close than romantic close.

MaxGerke01

Banned
I think they're setting up either Ed Baldwin or Ellen Wilson to be POTUS at some point.
I think Margo is a possibiity too. I used Sally Ride as a stand in for her because im not sure of her politics although she seems critical of Reagan so far....

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
Cell phones with caller id spotted.Panama heating up. The way to Mars is through Washington not Houston sounds like a great Hart campaign slogan for 1984. I have to say I didnt like seeing Molly giving Wubbo a hard time for going back to the Netherlands.It was human but it wasnt pretty...

Last edited:
I think they're setting up either Ed Baldwin or Ellen Wilson to be POTUS at some point.
Tower is about to retire from the senate, and we know he’s been glad-handing Ellen. Seems strange that he would be glad-handing her just to groom her for deputy admin at NASA.

Ed seems good where he is. We know he’s not diplomatic, and we know Karen’s not going to want to go back into that kind of drawing room persona (and we know Ed’s now the kind of guy who’s going to care more about Karen’s needs).

You know Ellen’s right about one thing: that Moon mission creep is going to kill the Mars program unless something changes. I can’t really imagine what that might be. The push that got us the NASA of “today” was predicated upon direct competition with the Soviets. But that doesn’t seem likely for Mars.

Come to think of it, how competitive can the Soviet Moon base be without shuttles and Sea Dragons? Personnel must be way fewer (or tours much, much longer) and resupply much more frequent and prone to accident.

Mi esposa thinks the right person to shake hands with a Russian in space is John Lennon. That would be pretty baller, gotta say. I was just thinking Tracey, but hey, I say let's give it to John!

So the Dutch Astronaut, Wubbo Ockels was a real person too. He died in 2014.

The commander of the Columbia was played by the show's technical advisor, retired astronaut Garrett Reisman, he's credited as playing a character with the same name, though it wouldn't really be him, he was 15 at the time.

Thanks to David cgc over at TrekBBS for finding this out.

Last edited:
That might have been me .Was he mentioned in episode 2? Great sign if he was. Its probably too late for him regarding anything he dide pre 1984 but as long as he isnt caught doing anything while campaigning or in the White House he sholud be ok. I could see

Richard Nixon (R) 1969-1973
Gary Hart (D) 1985-1993
Colin Powell (R) 1993-2001
Sally Ride (D) 2001-2009

My list is pretty similar, though with a few changes:

Gary Hart (D) 1985-1993
Geraldine Ferraro (D) 1993-1997
Colin Powell (R) 1997-2005
John McCain (R) 2005-2009
John F. Kennedy Jr. (D) 2009-2017
Ellen Waverly (R) 2017-Present (assuming that she’ll be in her late 60s by 2016)

MaxGerke01

Banned
My list is pretty similar, though with a few changes:

Gary Hart (D) 1985-1993
Geraldine Ferraro (D) 1993-1997
Colin Powell (R) 1997-2005
John McCain (R) 2005-2009
John F. Kennedy Jr. (D) 2009-2017
Ellen Waverly (R) 2017-Present (assuming that she’ll be in her late 60s by 2016)
JFK Jr is on mine too although I want to have him there when they get to Mars as a homage to his dear ole dad- not sure when it will be yet . Despite what happened in 1976 there have been two Kennedys in the WH ittl already so they are having much better luck..

Last edited: