Flower O'Scotland

Chapter 36: Desperation Sensation

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 36: Desperation Sensation

June, 1548

Mary had never been sure what to make of Edward Seymour, or the Seymours in general. Jane Seymour had been a kind lady, and someone who had thawed her father’s cold heart. Her brothers however, had been a different sort of person. Edward had wanted the power that had come from his nephew and her brother King Edward being King. That had proven short-lived, and now he was here before her. He was her eyes in the regency council, and at court. An alliance she had never thought she would make, and yet here they were. She looked at him and waited for him to speak.

Sure, enough he did, he did like the sound of his own voice. “My lady, with Catherine Howard and her husband living in exile on her dower lands, the council has moved away from her policy of peace and toward a more belligerent policy. This is exactly what we need. It will allow Norfolk to exercise his intellect and perhaps be thrown down on his own sword.”

Mary raised an eyebrow. “Norfolk and his family are adept at playing the game, Your Grace. They did not fall with Catherine Howard, and she was not punished either. She had the blessing of the Queen, my sister, therefore, I do not think you are right in your assessment.” She hated Catherine Howard, but she did not hate the Howards, there was a difference.

“My lady, Norfolk is old, his son is a fool, and his nephews are all idiots. They are all smarting from the Queen Dowager’s foolishness and Culpepper’s arrogance. Combined with the defeat of the rebels in Scotland and their policy is in tatters. Now is the moment to strike.” Seymour replied.

“Strike?” Mary asked surprised. “What do you mean strike?”

“I mean that you must now think about what is in your interest.” Seymour said his eyes widening as he spoke. “Things are leaning against the Howards. The regency and the court are all looking to see how that old man handles things, but they are not optimistic. He is old, his son a fool, and his niece has humiliated the Queen. There are even some who are whispering about the legitimacy of the Queen, given her mother’s behaviour. Now is the right time to begin preparing for your own ascension.”

Mary looked at the man, her heart thumping. What he said was treason, but the way he said it played on her darkest most secret desires. She wanted what she considered hers, but she had recognised her father’s marriage to the Howard girl, and Eleanor was but a girl. “You are speaking treason, my lord Somerset.” She said.

“Is it treason if there is proof that the Queen is not really the Queen?” Somerset fired back.

“What proof do you have?” Mary asked. She did not believe that the man had proof, but she would not challenge him right now, she would hear what he had to say.

“I have ladies in waiting to the Queen Dowager who have confirmed that she was seeing Culpepper even whilst the King was alive, and that around the time she got pregnant with the Queen, she had been spending more and more time with Culpepper. The two of them have always been close, my lady, it would not be that much of a surprise.” Seymour said.

“And when did you come about this information?” Mary asked.

“Shortly after I learned about the marriage between the Queen Dowager and Culpepper, my lady. One of the Queen Dowager’s ladies in waiting came to me, and then more came.” Seymour said.

Mary thought on this for a moment and then said. “It is likely a trap. It is obvious you do not like the Queen Dowager, Your Grace. She is smart, she likely would’ve sent these people out there to ensnare you.”

“Four ladies in waiting? I think not. She is bold, yes, but not that bold.” Seymour replied.

“I am not sure. It seems too convenient.” Mary said. “I would not pursue it.”

Seymour deflated then. “So, what will you do? Allow yourself to be legitimised and put behind a girl who might not even be the rightful Queen? Shipped off to Spain to marry a double chinned wonder?”

Mary bristled at that, she had seen portraits of Prince Philip, and he was handsome, in his own way, and powerful. “I will do my duty.”

“Your duty? What of your duty to England?” Seymour demanded. “Rise up and half the realm will as well.”

“And they will bleed, marrying Prince Philip is my duty to England.” Mary replied. “To keep the peace.”

Oh, she's playing the game. Somerset and Seymour may not think she is, but she is. She's painting herself as the Princess who so loves England that she won't even claim what most would say is rightfully hers because of the risk of civil war. That will win her hearts like nothing else will!

VVD0D95

Banned
Oh, she's playing the game. Somerset and Seymour may not think she is, but she is. She's painting herself as the Princess who so loves England that she won't even claim what most would say is rightfully hers because of the risk of civil war. That will win her hearts like nothing else will!

For sure, I think as well, not sure if you picked up on it, but Seymour is half in love with her as well

For sure, I think as well, not sure if you picked up on it, but Seymour is half in love with her as well

In love with? Possibly, but not the way I'm reading it. He's too calculating for that. He's thinking that if he encourages Mary to claim what's hers and she wins, then he'll reap the rewards for being loyal to her when no one else is ;)

VVD0D95

Banned
In love with? Possibly, but not the way I'm reading it. He's too calculating for that. He's thinking that if he encourages Mary to claim what's hers and she wins, then he'll reap the rewards for being loyal to her when no one else is ;)

That too, that too ;)

Chapter 37: Marriage Offers

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 37: Marriage Offers

September, 1548

It had been a few years now, since his beloved Maria had died. In that time he had taken lovers, but had taken pains to remain discreet about it. He had two daughters through those trysts, both of whom he had sent off to the convent to be raised by in the name of God. Only legitimate children would get his full attention, he was not like his father, after all. Philip knew he needed to marry to secure the succession, they could not depend on his cousin Charles to continue the line of the Habsburgs. That would be disastrous. Yet the thought of another marriage did not sit well with him. He was only thankful that Maria had not left a child behind, that way he did not feel as though he were completely betraying her.

Philip looked at his father, Emperor Charles, the greatest man alive in the world today and felt a mixture of both pride and worry. His father had extended their rule over Europe to include Milan, Savoy and Naples and Sicily, now there was little else for them to conquer. The French were on the retreat, and as such, it seemed as though things were going incredibly well for them. However, his father seemed to be ailing, and his appearance took on a paler complexion with every passing day. It was incredibly worrying.

“Enough worrying, Philippe.” His father said. “You must decide now.” There was a pause in which the Emperor coughed, and then continued. “You have three choices. Maria of Viseu, Maria of England and Christine of Denmark. Tell us what you make of each choice.”

Deciding to start with his cousin who he had known the longest, Philippe said. “Maria of Viseu is a kind and caring woman, she will make an excellent mother. She comes from a family which has a high fertility rate also, therefore the chances of her giving me children are high. She is also wealthy, which will bring some much-needed wealth into the treasury.” That was important, his father’s wars had nearly bankrupted them. “Furthermore, she knows how to handle a court, which is something that Maria Manuela, much as I love her, did not. So, that is a benefit.”

“And what are the issues with her?” His father demanded.

“There is only one.” Philippe said. “That she is older than me, by six years, therefore the time she has to have children is slowly reducing.”

His father waved a hand at that. “That is not a concern, you are an adult, she is one also, you can start sexual relations immediately following the wedding.”

Philippe nodded his head, and then continued. “As for Maria of England. She is an adult, she comes from a noble and prestigious family. She is also heiress to the Queen Eleanor, and such a marriage could well add England to our territories, therefore pulling them away completely from France. She is also pious and noted for her charity.”

“However?” His father added, prompting him.

“However, she is also in her thirties, meaning her times of childbearing are coming to an end, and as such, she would need to be impregnated immediately. Furthermore, her mother did not succeed in having many surviving children, so that is a concern.” Philippe said.

“Indeed, Maria of England is our cousin, but she is also a burden.” The Emperor said.

“Christina of Denmark, has experience governing in her husband’s stead. She has also had children, proving her fertility. But she comes from a family whose power base is not where we need it to be, to counteract either France or the Ottomans.” Philippe said.

“Indeed, so what is your decision?” His father asked.

Philippe thought for a moment and then said. “I wish to marry Maria of Viseu.”

His father clapped his hands together. “Very well, I shall send the letters to Lisbon at once.”

In the end the most logical choice...
Kristine of Denmark in any case is Danish only by name as her father was deposed when she was still a baby... She lived almost her life between Netherlands, Milan, Lorraine (plus maybe Austria and/or Spain). If she has any sort of powerbase that would be in Netherlands or Lorraine (where she is/was regent for her son).

VVD0D95

Banned
In the end the most logical choice...
Kristine of Denmark in any case is Danish only by name as her father was deposed when she was still a baby... She lived almost her life between Netherlands, Milan, Lorraine (plus maybe Austria and/or Spain). If she has any sort of powerbase that would be in Netherlands or Lorraine (where she is/was regent for her son).
As in the logical choice was Kristine or?

As in the logical choice was Kristine or?
The most logical choice was Maria as the beautiful and brilliant Kristine had neither her strong ties to a foreign kingdom or the dowry of Maria, plus like her half-sister and her half-niece/first cousin she is fully Iberian.
Christina is more beautiful, more experienced in ruling, less sheltered, likely smarter and slightly less related to Philip than Maria (Christina is a simply first cousin, being daughter of Charles second sister, while Maria is the daughter of Charles’ eldest sister and a paternal half-sister of Philip’s mother) but still that will not be enough for choosing her (unless Philip is in love with Christina. In OTL when they met in 1549 in Netherlands the quantity of attention he had for her caused discontent and she decided to go away to avoid any complications).
Christina and Maria are born in the same year (Christina is some months younger), the first was married twice and had children by her second husband (and is likely who her first wedding was not really consummated for the age of Christina ad the health of her husband) while the second was never married

VVD0D95

Banned
The most logical choice was Maria as the beautiful and brilliant Kristine had neither her strong ties to a foreign kingdom or the dowry of Maria, plus like her half-sister and her half-niece/first cousin she is fully Iberian.
Christina is more beautiful, more experienced in ruling, less sheltered, likely smarter and slightly less related to Philip than Maria (Christina is a simply first cousin, being daughter of Charles second sister, while Maria is the daughter of Charles’ eldest sister and a paternal half-sister of Philip’s mother) but still that will not be enough for choosing her (unless Philip is in love with Christina. In OTL when they met in 1549 in Netherlands the quantity of attention he had for her caused discontent and she decided to go away to avoid any complications).
Christina and Maria are born in the same year (Christina is some months younger), the first was married twice and had children by her second husband (and is likely who her first wedding was not really consummated for the age of Christina ad the health of her husband) while the second was never married

This is very true, so the marriage of Philip and Maria will likely happen before year's end, if John III agrees to it that is

Chapter 38: Seymour's Offerings

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 38: Seymour’s Offerings

December, 1548

The year was coming to an end, and Edward felt more frustrated than ever. The influence his family had held during the reigns of King Henry and King Edward had fallen down by the wayside during the reign of Queen Eleanor. First, Catherine Howard that absolute harlot had dominated the regency and with her had been her friends and hangers on, and then once she had made a fool of herself, her uncle the Duke of Norfolk had come to dominate things. There were Howards and their husbands, wives, and cousins all over the place in Whitehall. It had gotten to the point now where Edward could barely stomach to be in Whitehall, and instead spent most of his time in his estates. He rarely ventured to court, unless he had to.

He had come for this last meeting of the Privy Council before the Michaelmas break, for one reason only to pitch his case. He looked at the gathered members of the council and said simply. “Prince Philip has been betrothed to Maria of Viseu, they will marry in the new year. Our hopes for a Spanish alliance have been dashed. Now is the time to consider other options for Princess Mary, not just for her, but also for our Queen.” He did not know whether the Queen would last to see her adulthood, he hoped that she would in some way or form. But not entirely.

“I still think that a marriage locally for Princess Mary would make the most sense.” That was Dudley, the Earl of Warwick who wished for a Dukedom. “It would ensure that we could better keep an eye on her and those who might follow her.”

Edward looked at the man and hid his contempt. The man wanted Mary married to his son John, a handsome young man who charmed half the court. “A domestic marriage is not worthy of her. She needs a husband of the right rank.” Edward countered.

“Who then?” Dudley fired back. “Spain has no other Princes, Austria has no one of good quality, that is not already married or betrothed. The Danish have no one of appropriate age.”

“Portugal.” Edward said.

“Portugal?” Dudley asked.

“Portugal.” Edward confirmed.

“Go on, Edward.” Norfolk said, sounding as old as his years dictated.

Edward nodded at the man and took every note of the pain and slowness of the Duke. “Well, my lords, it is simple. The Portuguese are one of our oldest allies on the continent, they are the ones who are always there in trade and in war for us. It is time we remembered them. Luis, Duke of Beja, brother to the King of Portugal is looking for a bride, and I believe that our Princess Mary would be the perfect bride for him.” He paused, waited for someone to object, when no such objection came, he continued. “Luis is not directly in the line of succession per say, and therefore, there is no risk of him ascending to the throne of Portugal. Consequently, this means that he can spend some time here in England, to get used to our ways and what we expect of him. Furthermore, this means that our Princess can remain here to ensure that she does not get lost from the people. Finally he is of an age with the Princess, meaning they can instantly start trying to have children to secure the succession.”

There was a brief silence as the others considered his proposal, then Archbishop Cranmer spoke. “He is a Catholic though, and that would create trouble. Some would suspect we are trying to take England back to Rome and the Papacy.”

Edward raised an eyebrow. “Why? You are not surely insinuating something, Your Eminence?”

Cranmer appeared to get hot and bothered then, for he shifted slightly. “I am suggesting nothing of the sort. I am simply stating a fact.”

Norfolk spoke then. “She would need to move to Portugal should this marriage happen. She could not stay here, not when things look so uncertain.”

Edward went to protest, then remained silent. Paget spoke then. “I agree, Your Grace. Her Highness would be better served moving to Portugal to be with her husband and to understand how things work there. It would also ensure that none of the fools who want to cause trouble have the ability to.”

Norfolk nodded. “Agreed.” The man then looked at him and said. “Edward, you shall go and propose this marriage to the King of Portugal.”

Edward bowed his head. “Of course, Lord Protector.”