Ferguson's Book: An Alternative Disney Filmography

Chapter One: Around the World (And Bambi Too)
(Here we go. Interested to see how this plays out around here)

Interviewer: So, what can you tell me about the end of Snow White? I mean, the production.

Bianca Majolie: Oh, it was like...like the last days of school. You know? The sort of slow build up to a great release, a great sense of an ending, and then at last we would all be free! And of course, nerves, a lot of nerves. I remember talking to Norman Ferguson-

Interviewer: This is Norman Ferguson who was a supervising director many films at Disney, yes?

Bianca: Er, yes, just so. I went to talk to him one day. You could tell that we were all tired because no one made a pass at me. And he told me that what he had really wanted to bring in today was a book he had been reading, a book that he thought Walt might like. And instead he'd grabbed something else off his shelf, and he'd only realized he had when he made a call back to his house and found it out. A day or so later, Walt comes in, full of praise for Norman. Which was typically brusque. I think it was something like "The book'll work, let's do it."

Interviewer: Do you remember what the book he had originally intended to give?

Bianca: I think it was Pinocchio. You know that book? I think, er, Chuck Jones did a version of it in the sixties. It was something Italian, I remember that. Anyway, at that time Walt was worried. He was worried about doing what would become Fantasia, and he had wanted to do Bambi after Snow White, but that got pushed into being our third film. Because Walt wanted to get the movements of the animals right. I think that was when he took a trip to England, hobnobbed with quite a few famous people who were interested to know how the process worked. Especially after Snow White did so well. The biggest person, I think, was H G Wells came along. He was in his dying years by then, but he and Walt just sat and talked.

Interviewer: He was famous for being a futurist. They must have had a lot to talk about.

Bianca: Yes, I think that's why Walt managed to handle the strike as well as he did. A famous English author, who had created so many great scientific works? That sort of idea managed to knock out Gunther Lessing's attempt to paint the union as a Communist plot in the making. Not entirely, but enough to negotiate a more fair agreement. But then we were hard at work at Around the World in Eighty Days, and well, you know how that went!

Extract from The House the Mouse Built Vol 1, by Leonard Maltin, 1991.

The plot of Around the World in Eighty Days is similar to the book that a full breakdown does not need to be given here. Suffice to say, that quintessential English gentleman Phineas Fogg (Basil Rathbone) makes a bet with the members of his Club in London that he can traverse the world in Eighty Days and return to the club itself to collect a substantial reward, or if he does not win, pay up a substantial amount. He takes with him his new valet Jean Passepartout (Walter Catlett) and later rescues Princess Aouda (Josephine Baker) who joins them on their travels, the two falling in love over the course of the film. Opposing him are two main forces. The man who made the bet with him, James Strand (John Barrymore) who deliberately misrepresents Fogg's actions to gain him bad press and slow him down wherever he goes, and a group of police officers on the hunt for a cache of money stolen in a bank heist. Strand uses his voice to trick the police and manipulate them into giving chase to Fogg, these include Inspector Fix (Billy Bletcher) and his two bumbling sidekicks Kent and North (Billy Gilbert and Sterling Hollaway) who form the main brunt of the comedy.

Around the World in Eighty Days created a problem for the Walt Disney Company, which did not affect the critical praise the film was given nor the extensive box office takeaway. But it was a noticeable problem.

Firstly, the usual cries were heard that Disney was diluting a classic. This argument has its merits and its downfalls, but in actuality this time it could be argued to be justified. Disney was very careful, at the insistence of some animators, to shy away from any overtly racist caricatures. This included the Papuans, who were described in the book by Verne as among the lowest of the low of humanity, and an attack on a train by a group of Native Americans, who were kept mostly to the shadows and relied heavily upon mood and lighting to enhance the stress of it. It cannot be said to be solely a case of artistic merit or anti-racist beliefs, more likely it was a case of shrewd business. In addition, several actions undertaken by Fogg that have either aged poorly or paint him in a darker light than intended were either deleted or given to the pursuers. A choice made by Disney to cast the role of Aouda with Josephine Baker, with Walt arguing that they needed Aouda to stick out more against the refined English of Basil Rathbone, was not heavily touted by the company but did pick up a lot of support from various anti-racist organizations. To ruin much needed good press against the backlash by many conservatives with crudity was therefore not profitable.

Baker had met with Disney, as she was on the verge of returning to France full time. She was charmed by Disney into remaining long enough to record her lines and then left, where she became a hero to the country during the dark days of World War 2. Aouda is a complicated character when discussing Disney and the history of race. he was well played, had several decent songs, animated just as beautifully as other females (Supposedly someone had to watch Fred Moore very carefully whenever he started to draw her, and frequently grab him by the arm and snap "Not now, Fred, we're working!" to keep him on task) and took part in the aforementioned action scene on the train, there were cases where the animators downplayed her ethnicity, lightening her skin. This is true to the books for Verne to ease the mind of any particularly concerned white man as to whether or not an English gentlemen was dating someone of another colour. She was a important first step, not just as a woman or as a black character but as a black woman, but only a first step.

Around the World in Eighty Days came out in 1940, capturing a vast zeitgeist of yearning to go off hunting or exploring or rescuing a beautiful woman, combined with deep nostalgia for happier days and a fascination with the British culture and making sure that it earned it's money back and then some. Critics at the time praised it for it's acting (Particularly Rathbone, Catlett and, begrudgingly, Baker), it's animation (Generally regarded as a step up in realistic terms, save for the characters of Kent and North who befitting their status as comedy characters were more broad), it's score and it's attempt to hold as adapt as much of the book as possible. Criticism was given to the tone, which seemed to veer from relatively serious to slapstick that jarred a little more, and for the two comedy relief characters who, while not hated and generally considered serviceable, had appeared to have walked out of another movie entirely.

CAST
Basil Rathbone as Phileas Fogg
Walter Catlett as Jean Passepartout
Josephine Baker as Aouda
Billy Bletcher as Detective Fix
John Barrymore as James Strand
Billy Gilbert as Constable North
Sterling Hollaway as Constable Kent
Charles Judels as Mr Thornton
Stuart Buchanan as Mr Godfrey
Moroni Olsen as Old Mr Tiberius

With that under way, Bambi was put into production and would become the third film in the Disney Canon, as it would later be termed. The film was less controversial in a political sense, and more in a "You've emotionally devastated my child" kind of way with the death of Bambi's mother. What these three movies, Snow White, Around the World and Bambi, had done was establish animation and Walt Disney in particular as someone who could create works for children and adults respectively.

CAST
Donnie Dunagan as Young Bambi
John Sutherland as Adult Bambi
Dick Jones as Young Thumper
Jackie Coogan as Adult Thumper
June Foray as Young Flower
Sterling Holloway as Adult Flower
Marilyn Harris as Young Faline
Ann Gillis as Adult Faline
Paula Winslowe as Bambi's Mother/Pheasant
Will Wright as Friend Owl
Fred Shields as Great Prince of the Forest
Margaret Lee as Mrs. Rabbit

Now, with the first few films he had planned completed, Walt turned to other sources to find his next film.. And with the storm clouds gathering over America, Walt was not sure where this business would take him, or indeed if it would take him anywhere.

Last edited:
Author's Note
So, let's address any questions that might be had about this timeline.

Is the POD a real thing?
Yes, while I can't say for certain whether or not Walt Disney knew of Pinocchio beforehand, Norman Ferguson bringing in an edition of that book was the inspiration for it to be the second film in the canon. Here, he brings in a different book, and all goes a little differently.

How's this story going to go?
For the most part I will be focusing upon the movies, their casts and their plots. Behind the scenes information will be relaying to tell of the decisions that went into making these movies and to relay changes and alterations to the story. We will also be covering television, some in more depth than other.

Is the focus of the story going to be on Disney?
Sort of. My current plan is to operate on a decade-long basis. I'd cover the movies Disney made in the forties, then once we reach the end of that, I'd go back and discuss what other animation studios or studios in general were doing. Disney will come first, but we will be checking in on all companies.

Will politics come into play here?

Almost certainly. It won't be a particularly in-depth or precise explanation of the politics (I have another plan for that), but I do want to touch upon the atmosphere in which these movies are made. Because art isn't made in a vacuum, and Walt Disney is rightly or wrongly a cultural figure as looming and as controversial as any US President. He stumped for Goldwater, had animators who drew satirical cartoons about LBJ, and worked with many people who voted for Adlai Stevenson III, it will come into effect. I will say that World War 2 will remain pretty much the same, and that any changes to the timeline in political terms will come into affect after the war has ended.

How about Walt? How's he going to be handled?
If you've got the impression from this first chapter that I'm going to be watering down Walt, let me be clear here. A lot of the contradictions and awkwardness and unpleasantness that Walt did will remain in this story. I'm not presenting a saint here. He will be better than OTL, but he will make stupid decisions and create mistakes that will define him as he did here.

Will all the movies be different?
Er, no. Walt has his favourites so we won't be getting a completely new set of movies, indeed the nature of Disney as a whole means that what was started in the forties may see light finally in the nineties. In addition, some movies like Dumbo are going to have a similar enough cast and enough kept the same for me to not dedicate as much focus to them. There will be changes, mind, and I will be going into them.

With all that in mind, I hope you enjoy it. I'll update whenever I can, which is likely to be daily? I don't know, I'll work it out.

Can visualise Rathbone as live action Phileas Fogg.
Thank you! It was one of those ideas that stuck in my head. I imagine some rotoscoping would take place, some with Rathbone and Baker to get a feel for the actors.

Chapter Two: The Tough History of Fantasia, Don Quixote and Dumbo
Interviewer: So, let's move on to Fantasia, or as it was known during development, the Concert Film.

Frank Thomas: Yeah. Originally it started out as a boost for Mickey Mouse, who was not having a good time of it as a character, outside of being a mascot for Disney. It was a Silly Symphonies cartoon that went over budget, and the idea was tossed around that it would not make enough money back if we released it as a short film. Walt of course got the idea to make it part of a series of shorts linked together, an orchestra preforming classical music to animation of all kinds.

Interviewer: Now, Fantasia was conceived of during late 1937, early 1938. It's original date for release is not set in stone, but it's generally agreed that it would have been released in 1940 or at the latest 1941. As we know, that didn't happen. Can you give us any reasons for that?

Frank: In the first place, you've got to understand that Walt wasn't a musician. He didn't, by necessity, have a wide repertoire of knowledge about these kinds of things. That meant we were guided by the man who would be conducting the orchestra for these pieces of music, Leopold Stokowski. And he was a very creative man, we worked well with him even if we had to learn very quickly a lot of different styles of animation. Then there was the idea of what the song should be played to. Walt said he wanted some dinosaurs, we gave him Rite of the Spring, and so on.

Interviewer: That doesn't seem too hard.

Frank: If you'd have been there...but that really wasn't the problem. There were two issues. No, I take that back. Three issues. Issue one was that we were hard at work on Around the World and Bambi, and then Film 4 which we were still grappling with. What you were going from then was a film about animals in which there were no humans at all, which means going down to the studio, drawing the animals they bring in, trying to get a feel for them, then you went to a mostly human-based film which required rotoscoping and with bigger stars than we were ever used to, and then to a film that we were still trying to lay out. On top of that, we have this very experimental film that doesn't have a plot in a traditional sense. It was chaos, and quite frankly I think Walt understood on some level we were getting burnt out. When that strike happened, he sorta began to realize that maybe he had overstepped the mark a little. He was very grumpy about it, and he was never one to haul us back if we said we wanted to take on more than we could, but he let everyone unionize. It was only Babbitt who jumped ship, which...hell, he probably had coming. Anyway, that was reason number one. Reason number two was a lot simpler. Roy had been going overseas a lot to make sure that our films were distributed and distributed well. He wasn't convinced RKO Pictures was doing the best they could. He got to talking to a lot of people over in Britain about the war, and that got in his head.

Interviewer: What did?

Frank: The idea that we were going to lose big time if Fantasia was released as it was at present, with a lot of countries not having the ability to play it, and with the likelihood that the war was heading our way. He was ahead of a lot of people at that time, didn't think about Pearl Harbour or anything but then...well. And that was related to the third reason, which was Fantasound. That was the way that Walt wanted the public to listen to the film, but it required a lot of work in refitting these cinemas to make the sound work. It was revolutionary, and like a lot of revolutionary things, it caused a bit of destruction along the way. Some idiot managed to bust one of the setups, meaning that money had to be spent repairing it. Roy told Walt that he didn't think it was possible to win with this film in the current climate.

Interviewer: Which is why Fantasia sat on the shelf for so long.

Frank: Mm. We had everything we needed, really. We had time to refine our art, we had a black centaur girl in there at one point but someone suggested that we take her out, that there was no need for that kind of thing. Well, we didn't really get it, but sure, why not? We had time. And we started making our money back by taking it on the road, bringing it to various places across the country. I remember one time, after we did join the war, that Walt brought it to England to show. We got a standing ovation, a lot of the budget got made back. And we spent that time working out how to better install Fantasound.

Interviewer: Was it worth it?

Frank: How's that?

Interviewer: Do you think it was better that Fantasia waited so long?

Frank. At the time I was sick of hearing the word. They used to have tremendous rows about it, Walt said that we'd screwed it up, that this was the chance for them to be taken seriously and they'd missed it. The war started, the arguments got less...Roy got his way with that one.

Interviewer: So then it was on to film four then.

Frank: You know, they say it's a hit at colleges? Some art students watch it and praise it as a masterpiece? Never intended that when we made it.

Don Quixote was released in 1941, the fourth film in the Walt Disney Animated Canon. It is was a more experimental film for Disney, one that at the time yielded somewhat disappointing results but in hindsight has been suggested to be a indisputable step into experimentation.

The film begins in what is set up to be equal parts theatre and courtroom . Miguel de Cervantes (Candy Candido) has brought along with him the work that for better or for worse has dogged him all his life: Don Quixote. He asks whether or not he is to give a reading, and a figure in a high box, designed to either be a balcony seat or a judge's pulpit, agrees that this would be agreeable. "But only when the other fella's come in!" he intones. The other fella, here after referred to as the Defence, staggers in and accuses Miguel of murder and of slander. The author angrily insists that he is innocent, and the judge brings the matter to a pause by suggesting that the cases be presented to the jury, indicating a piece of crucial evidence hidden under a sheet on the stage. Thus begins the reading of the book:

Much of the contents of the book have been adapted, albeit in a loose fashion that Miguel often pokes fun at. The Lord of La Mancha (Thurl Ravenscroft) is suffering from various unhappy events, and lives a fairly lonely life with only his housekeeper Miss D'Arco (Verna Felton) around to assuage him, though he lives near a village where a variety of other characters live. His neighbour, Sancho Panza (Cliff Edwards), pays him visits, including one ill-fated one where leaping up, the Lord declares himself to be a knight errant from one of his favourite genres, the chivalric. He press-gangs Sancho into becoming his squire, and proclaims himself to be Don Quixote, announcing his intention of finding Dulcinea, a woman who he declares to be his true love. After a first venture which ends with him having wrecked his house and the nearby village in a slapstick chase, he is confined to his bedroom while Miss D'Arco and her two suitors Curate Giovanni (Sterling Hollaway) and Barber Cosmio (Pinto Colvig) burn his collection of books to try and bring him to sense. If anything, it pushes him into further nonsense, as seen when he breaks out of his room, destroys his house yet again and steals Pancho away to go on a quest. The first action of this quest is a battle with windmills, which is again played for slapstick.

From here, the film goes into detail on some of the scenes from the novel. For instance, the two wanderers get into trouble in an inn, during which Sancho takes a great deal of harm from those after Quixote. Also, the trials and tribulations of a love triangle between Cardenio (Colvig), Don Fernando (Hollaway) and Lucinda (Bea Benaderet), and later Dorotea (Benaderet) come into play several times, with Sancho frequently commenting on the absurdity of it all. Meanwhile, the Curate and the Barber attempt to drag Quixote back to his normal life, often failing in various comedic ways. The film does take a more reflective tone when the two encounter Marcela (Marceline Garner), a kind woman is the object of all men in her town and whom desires none of them. She proclaims that she sees no reason to marry any of them, and encourages Quixote's dream. "You know something, good knight? I don't think there is a Dulcinea. And you know that, deep down. And if there is, it's not a person, or a place, or a treasure. It's you going on this adventure." The Don, in a moment of rare acknowledgement, admits that may be so. She disappears, having claimed to have found herself in heaven, and leaves Sancho to think about matters. Throughout this, Sancho and Quixote have become friends, and the former has begun to be convinced by the latter of the honesty and idealism of his quest.

From here, the film turns darker with the introduction of the Duke and Duchess (Mel Blanc and June Foray), a pair of nobles who have been delighting in the actions of the Don. Now, however, they wish to play a game with him. They convince him of a threat known as The Knight of Mirrors, who has come to defeat those who would not prove himself worth of bearing the title of knight. From here, a lot of humiliation occurs, but the Lord of La Mancha refuses to submit, continuing onwards and managing to actually rescue people in the process. Sancho, by now a convert, threatens the Duke and Duchess and orders them to leave the Knight alone. Affronted by his anger, they have him captured and tortured. Though he begins to disbelieve in his master, Sancho's faith is rewarded as the knight charges in and rescues him, managing to run away while pursued by the Duke, Duchess and the convoy of guards. While hiding out, they resolve the matter of the four way love triangle and give the lovers their happy endings respectively. The Duchess admits to having created the Knight just to humiliate Don Quioxte, and that he is quite mad really to have believed in such a thing. The barber and the priest attempt to retrieve him at this, only for an actual Knight of Mirrors (Candido) to emerge and frighten away the guards, reducing the Duke and Duchess to appearing like commoners and trapping them in the mud, and scaring away the two suitors. Despite Sancho's best efforts, Don Quixote emerges to fight the Knight, though not before thanking Sancho and asking him to find what remains after the battle. The two Knights agree that they will duel to the death, and do so, in a dramatic final battle. In the end, despite his best efforts, the Curate and the Barber blind him by accident and the Knight closes in.

Throughout the film, the action cuts after every notable set piece back to the courtroom/theatre, with Miguel and the 'defence' arguing regarding the Lord of La Mancha's actions, whether or not it is a tragedy or a comedy they are watching. Witnesses are called, mostly the other characters to provide linking material between each moment. Often, Miguel insists that the songs did not happen in the story, or that a positive moment did not proceed that way. Now, pausing at the moment of Quixote's final end, both men agree that this is the end of Don Quixote, his death. Miguel tells of how it ends in his book, a repentant lord regaining his sanity and dying in his bed. The defence offers an alternative opinion, that Quixote refused to give in and fought the Knight of Mirrors until he was slain, as he had wanted. The Judge, who has remained silent after all this time, interrupts the beginnings of the argument, and pulls the sheet aside, revealing the body. The defence, overcome with grief, removes his outfit to reveal himself to be Sancho, and the truth of the place is revealed. Everyone here has passed, long ago, and what MIguel and Sancho have been fighting over is whether or not Don Quixote ever existed as anything more than the fevered imagination of an insane man. If so, then he will not be permitted to return to earth. Sancho admits it took him longer to find his master than he would have wanted. Miguel insists that he wrote the story, he created the characters, they are his to decide. Sancho sings a final song, pleading that although that may have been what was intended, that was what not what people loved. That nobleness and bravery can and did exist, and should exist in this world, that odd ideas be permitted and not scorned. That life without imagination and chivalry is not worth living. That if Don Quixote cannot live, then what choice does humanity have?

And Don Quixote opens his eyes.

The Judge (Heavily implied to be God ) gleefully declares that Don Quixote does exist and will exist always, and deems the case shut. as he fights his way through the Curate, Barber, Duke and Duchess and a much reduced Knight of Mirrors all of whom try to stop him, rescues Sancho to the cheers of Marcela and the lovers, and charges out of a door way created by the Judge, while Miguel screams that even in death he could not kill his creation, and that clearly he is the one who must be mad. The chivalrous knight and his squire charge back into a new world, the modern day, and vanish into the sprawling metropolis atop a horse, forever to sally forwards unfree of any tethers.

And they both lived happily ever after.

CAST
Thurl Ravenscroft as Don Quioxte
Cliff Edwards as Sancho Panza
Marceline Garner as Marcela
Mel Blanc as The Duke
June Foray as The Duchess
Candy Candido as Knight of Mirrors/Miguel de Cervantes
Verna Felton as Miss D’Arco
Sterling Hollaway as Curate Giovanni/Don Fernando
Pinto Colvig as Barber Cosmio/Cardenio
Bea Benaderet as Lucinda/Dorotea

The decision to make the film about Don Quixote and it's reputation as being a great chivalric romance when such things were meant to be mocked by the author came late in the stage. Most of the film that was contained between the wrap around segments was animated, with the slapstick scenes in particular and the battle against the Knight of Mirrors being worked on hard. Later, Walt would explain that he had begun to grow angry at the reputation he had for bastardizing classics when so many others did so already, and that the idea of confronting adaptation and responding to the audiences needs played on his mind. He also did it to give a happier ending to the book, which he described as being deeply unsatisfying, especially to a man like himself who saw something of himself in Don Quixote.

What the film actually was intended to be was a somewhat tongue in cheek argument about the need for adaptation, mixed together with classic Disney animation. In many respects it was like a package film itself, which Disney would become familiar with as the forties drew on. What it actually became was something of a post-modernist examination of the book written, preceding the Man of La Mancha musical by some time and resulting in both being often compared to each other, though the writer of the musical admitted to not having seen the movie beforehand. As such, in the years following it's release and as it was re-released, audiences began to regard as being a genuinely risky film, created entirely by accident, it had a lot to say regarding the nature of imagination and goals. Several politicians, some Walt would have supported, some who he would not have, cited this as their favourite Disney movie when asked. The song 'That Star' would become a classic, sung by both Ravenscroft and Edwards at various points. Both of whom would get rave notices for their roles, with Ravenscroft in particular switching to voice acting after this.

But at the time? It was a movie that seemed to baffle quite a few people. It made back it's budget and a little bit more, so it could hardly be called a flop. Critics liked it well enough for it to not be a critically lambasted movie. But with some exceptions, most regarded it as an odd movie, not quite their thing, a little too out there for their liking. Audiences were more positive, but not as positive as Walt or Roy would have liked. It wasn't a disappointment, as such, but they could have received a reaction that was a lot better.

Dumbo more than made up for that, however, with a short sixty four minute run time and plenty of merchandise opportunities, plus a decently small budget allowed them to recuperate the losses. Most notable was the stunt casting of Cab Calloway following the success he had captured in the Fleischer Studios feature films. He would play the lead of Dandy Crow, the leader of a group of crows (All voiced by black actors, though animated in a way that can be charitably called 'dated') who assist the flying elephant. Calloway was promoted so heavily that the main voice actor Edward Brophy as Timothy Mouse went completely unnoticed. Still, Dumbo was a much needed success, and would be the last full feature for quite some time, as World War 2 started in earnest for America, and for Walt Disney. And all the while, the great project of Fantasia sat on the back burner. But the true history of this project will have to wait for another time.

CAST:
Edward Brophy as Timothy Q. Mouse
Verna Felton as Elephant Matriarch Mrs. Jumbo
Cab Calloway as Dandy Crow
Herman Bing as The Ringmaster
Margaret Wright as Casey Junior
Sterling Holloway as Mr. Stork
James Baskett, Nick Stewart, Hall Johnson and Jim Carmichael as The Crows
Noreen Gammill, Dorothy Scott and Sarah Selby as Elephants
Malcolm Hutton as Skinny
Billy Bletcher as Lead Clown
John McLeish as The Narrator

Chapter Three: War, Brer Rabbit, Saludos Amigos and Melodic Myths
Narrator: At the time that Walt was preparing Fantasia, he was contacted by people in the United States Department of State to go on a goodwill tour of South America. It was stated that he was sent to create good ties with the Latin American governments that would outweigh their allegiances to the Nazis at the time. Problems regarding the production of his films and finding someone who could handle the staff he would be leaving behind meant that Walt was well into production of his sixth movie by the time he set off for hotter climates. This would be the first of his wartime movies, which were titled 'Teeny Toons' after the fact, as a result of their short length and often disparate nature.

Floyd Norman: I think Walt was a bit more socially aware at that point, which is why I think he put the Uncle Remus tales into production at that time. The war starting scuppered any plans for the live action segments he had been planning, and besides which, that social awareness made him a little nervy about showing the post-civil war South in a romantic light. Enough people, shall we say, had gotten in his ear about that. Roy was less fond of the book than Walt, and so he was happy to focus on the stuff that in his own words "People would care about". So that was how The Tales of Brer Rabbit came into production.

-Extract from Disney at War, aired originally in 2001.

The Tales of Brer Rabbit came out in 1943. It featured a first for Disney, with live action pieces, albeit heavily cut down from the original plan, bookending the film. The story of these segments were Uncle Remus trying to find a song to represent him, and recalling several tales of Brer Rabbit to cheer him up. Eventually, he would find it in the form of 'Zippadee-do-dah', the signature tune. The animated stories included:

The Snare, based on Brer Rabbit Earns a Dollar a Minute, saw the rabbit (Eddie Anderson) struggle to free himself from a trap set in the garden of Brer Fox (Roy Glenn) and Brer Bear (Thurl Ravenscroft), and doing so by convincing Brer Bear that he's actually doing a job for the Fox, and switches places.

The Briar Patch sees Brer Fox and Brer Bear trick Brer Rabbit into getting stuck, and he in turn manipulates them, arguing that it is certain death to throw him into a briar patch, which of course provides him with a way out.

Meeting his Match, based on The Rabbit Meets His Match, sees Mr Buzzard (Pinto Colvig) and Brer Terrapin (Johnny Lee) hired to try and stop the rabbit. After several slapstick scenes where Terrapin shows himself to be no better than the Fox or the Wolf, Mr Buzzard manages to capture him and brings him back to his clients. There is a mild cliffhanger here.

The Laughing Place leads on from the following and based on the story of the same name, sees Brer Fox, Brer Bear, Brer Terrapin and Mr Buzzard arguing over who gets to eat Brer Rabbit. The Rabbit insists that they owe him a final favour, and asks that he take them to his Laughing Place, which is filled with bees and stings them all, sending them hurtling away and fighting with each other, while Brer Rabbit escapes and returns home no worse for wear.

Cast
James Baskett as Uncle Remus
Eddie Anderson as Brer Rabbit
Roy Glenn as Brer Fox
Nick Stewart as Brer Bear
Thurl Ravenscroft as Brer Wolf
Johnny Lee as Brer Terrapin
Pinto Colvig as Mr Buzzard
Hattie McDonald as Miss Cow

The movie was regarded decently, bringing in a tidy sum, but it wasn't meant to be a blockbuster, merely to make it's money back. The casting helped a lot too, with James Baskett being lauded for his performance as the kindly Uncle Remus, and Eddie Anderson praised for playing Brer Rabbit in a similar vein to his role on the Jack Benny Show. There were fewer protests by the south about this film, though it is possible that they read some fairly neutral comments as praise for them and stayed at home. No great controversy erupted, though James Baskett was unable to attend the premier in Atlanta, Georgia, he was given an honorary Academy Award after efforts by Disney yielded him one. He would pass in 1948 of unrelated health issues.

The movie is a controversial one, but has only seen mild re-edits in the years following it, and though the least aired of all Disney movies, still sees circulation albeit with a warning regarding certain stereotypes.

After that, in 1944, came the result of Walt's goodwill tour, Saludos Amigos! The film came as a result of a long time spent in Peru, Brazil, Chile, Argentina and, in a last minute change of plan, Mexico. Walt was a great peacemaker over there, forming a lot of friendships within the community that would serve him and Roy well when it came to exporting the DIsney brand over there. Said Nelson Rockefeller, the architect of this idea "I think Walt Disney is the best ambassador this country never had." The result would see a smaller movie than even Brer Rabbit. Saludos Amigos does not have a plot as such, mostly being situated around Donald Duck being on holiday in the region and his encounters with his two guides, Panchito Pistoles of Mexico and Jose Carioca of Brazil., and one irritant, the Aracuan Bird who keeps popping up to try and annoy Donald The segments in this film include:

-Donald Duck taking a trip around the mountains of Lake Titcana and getting into trouble with a llama, before meeting up with his guide, Jose Caricoa.
-Goofy learning how to be a Gaucho, and all the hijinks that this would naturally entail.
-Donald and Jose lusting after a singer in Bahia, played in live action by Aurora Miranda, who goes off with guitarist Frank Mayorga in the end.
-The deeply catchy and infamous Three Caballeros song.
-The story, as told by Panchito, of the Las Posadas
-The Flying Gauchito, which tells of a winged donkey who wins a race against throughbred horses
-Pedro the Plane and the Warm Hearted Penguin, two animated shorts which aside from their visits to South America are totally unconnected.
-The official tenth anniversary of Donald Duck, celebrated in the only way the Duck can, by getting the hell beaten out of him.

Interspersed with all of this are Disney and his staff members going about their days work while in the exotic countries, showing off the architecture and making it clear to their American audiences the beauty of the countries. These segments were more often than not removed, and when this was done it makes Saludos Amigos the shortest film in the canon, at just over an hour.

Fred Shields as Narrator
Clarence Nash as Donald Duck
José Oliveira as José Carioca
Joaquin Garay as Panchito Pistoles
Pinto Colvig as Goofy/Arucan Bird
Aurora Miranda as Yaya
Frank Mayorga as Mexican Guitarist

Walt Disney as Himself
Lee Blair as Himself
Mary Blair as Herself
Norman Ferguson as Himself
Frank Graham as Himself
Frank Thomas as Himself
Dora Luz as Herself
Carmen Molina as Herself

The seventh film is perhaps Walt's most controversial and easy to mock film. Melodic Myths was the end result of Walt Disney's love of America, his patriotic desire to do his bit and his complete inability to accept a little grey in his black and white thinking of either. Coming off a discussion with Rockefeller, Walt turned to several ideas for shorts he had laying around. He noticed one thing, all were of a American hero in some vein or another. Therefore, what better way to encourage American troops and American citizens and Americans in general of their bravery than to represent all those that had come before them?

The film has no linking material, save for Walt narrating transitions from each short to the next, and one final shot of all the characters saluting the flag. The segments were narrated by the character, whose actor would play all roles save for three. They were, as follows:

George Washington saw, naturally, the first president during his battles in the War of Independence, all through a rosy eyed view of the man that most people considered mawkish in the extreme, despite praise for Frank Graham's portrayal of him.

Paul Bunyan was a fairly comedic interlude of the mythical figure (Bud Collyer) and his blue ox Babe (Jimmy Macdonald) going about their day to day lives and creating history in the process.

Johnny Appleseed would see the character (Dennis Day) leave his home on advice from God, plant his apple trees, befriend the animals who lived there and held a feast where both colonizers and natives relaxed around each other and enjoyed their company, before passing on to heaven.

Pecos Bill and Surefoot Sue (Played by Roy Rogers and Dale Evans) told of the couple's lives before and after they met each other, of the tragic ending that trapped Sue on the moon and Bill on earth and the reason why the coyotes howl at the moon. This is often regarded as the best of the stories, as it was not as preach as it could have been.

Daniel Boone details the path that the frontiersman (Bing Crosby) took across the country, mostly through song as sung by his actor.

Black Bart, a close second to the title of best remembered short, told of the infamous pirate captain (Thurl Ravenscroft) and his battles with the American navy, including a very dramatic and well animated recounting of his final stand against the soldiers, and his eventual death.

Wyatt Earp sees the titular lawman (Bob Nolan) as he prepares for a battle alongside Doc Holliday (Thurl Ravenscroft) in the town of Tombstone. Much of this short is a idealized recounting of the battle and the charge to go after the outlaws.

It is possible that just writing the words down does not quite convey the amount of jingoistic feeling the movie relies on, including nostalgia and calls to arms against tyranny, with some suggesting that it was one of the most American movies ever. Audiences loved it, and it was a surefire hit, making back twice as much as it's budget in the process. Critics were more mixed, most praising the animation and calling it oversimplified. Though a success, Roy dissuaded Walt from doing anything like it again. In later years, though still regarded as having good and great parts in it, the positive portrayals of Washington, Appleseed, Boone and Earp in particular recieved criticism as being whitewashed.

CAST
Frank Graham as George Washington
Bud Collyer as Paul Bunyan
Jimmy McDonald as Babe the Blue Ox
Dennis Day as Johnny Appleseed
Roy Rogers as Pecos Bill
Dale Evans as Surefoot Sue
Bing Crosby as Daniel Boone
Thurl Ravenscroft as Black Bart/Doc Holliday
Bob Nolan as Wyatt Earp

One year later, the war was over. But the Teeny Toons still had to go on until the economy had recovered sufficiently.

I’m not a Disney fan particularly, but a pop culture timeline set in the golden age of Hollywood is always welcome.

Intriguing start :)

I’m not a Disney fan particularly, but a pop culture timeline set in the golden age of Hollywood is always welcome.

Intriguing start :)
I hope it works for you! While the majority of the focus will be on animation, I will try and check in with how other studios are doing as well.

Chapter Four: Happy Valley, Sleepy Hollow and Wonderland
True or False?: The reason Walt Disney quit smoking in the forties was due to a bet that said he couldn't do it until he released Fantasia?

Result: True...ish.

It is a fact that Walt Disney, infamously a very big smoker in the thirties and early forties, quit the habit rather suddenly around the release of Melodic Myths, the company's eighth film. It is also true that Walt made a bet with his brother that he would hold back on some of his less appealing habits until the release of his pet project, Fantasia, which now took on a cult-following as screenings began to ramp up. However, this bet was only part of the reason he stopped smoking. In reality, it has to do with a fire that nearly gutted a Fantasound stage where Walt was careless with a cigarette. He promised himself not to smoke until the movie was finished. By the time it was, he had lost the need for the cigarettes and thus, only smoked one per day.

Article on Snopes circa 2009

The decision to carry on with the Teeny Toons was mostly so that Walt Disney Productions had something to fall back on should Fantasia, now pencilled in for a 1950 release date, flop. The next three movies would see three films, structured a little like package films along the lines of Saludos Amigos and Brer Rabbit.

The ninth movie, titled Tales of Happy Valley, was advertised as Mickey Mouse's first full length animated film. Originally considered for a pairing up with Bongo, an idea that was gradually dropped as time went on, Walt added several scenes in to justify it's own release, plus added a narrator in the style of Uncle Remus in the form of Edgar Bergen, who played himself and his puppets. Released in 1946, it attracted a considerable crowd and turned a tidy profit.

The main narrative is very slight. It concerns a valley (Happy Valley, obviously) wherein a lot of the classic Disney characters reside in. Amongst them are our main trio of Mickey, (Walt Disney Donald (Clarence Nash) and Goofy (Pinto Colvig), along with Minnie and Daisy (Both by Ruth Clifford) as well, with cameos from Horace Horsecollar, Clarabelle Cow, Clara Cluck, Peter Pig, the Three Little PIgs and the Big Bad Wolf. Amongst the treasures of this green and lush paradise is the Harp, played by Dinah Shore who provides most of the music, who keeps the valley safe. A lot of the early part of the film is spent establishing the hard work that goes into protecting the harp, with Pete (Billy Bletcher) acting as overenthusiastic bully to the three farmers, all the while sucking up to be declared the King of the Valley by the harp, which only she can do. A lot of the scenes are taken up with slapstick.

Then the harp is taken, and the town falls into disrepair and strife. The plot of Jack and the Beanstalk plays out here. Mickey sells the cow to a man named U.N Trustworthy (Cliff Edwards) who is in reality in league with Pete who intends to hold onto the Kingship in the absence of the Harp, and in return gives Mickey magic beans. Over the course of the night, the beans grow into a beanstalk which the Fab Five climb up and investigate. Pete also leads the Big Bad Wolf and other Wolves of a similar type to try and conquer the land. Both meet Willie the Giant (Billy Gilbert) who has the harp. The rest of the film is a chaotic back and forth between the three parties, eventually ending in Willie being defeated, Pete being dethroned and Mickey becoming King, leading once again to peace in the valley.

Walt was never happy about this film, for obvious reasons that it was a slighter film than he had hoped for. Most notably, it would be the last time he would provide vocals for Mickey Mouse, feeling that it needed someone who could emote better (Despite many arguing he had done a great job already) and give a more natural read. Critics agreed, referring to it as a good time for the family, but not quite at the level they had expected from Disney. Saludos Amigos had been informative, Melodic Myths had been well intentioned, but they wanted something more....exciting. Luckily, though the next film was smaller in size too, he had just the thing.

Cast
Walt Disney as Mickey Mouse
Clarence Nash as Donald Duck
Pinto Colvig as Goofy
Ruth Clifford as Minnie Mouse and Daisy Duck
Billy Bletcher as Pete
Dinah Shore as the Harp
Billy Gilbert as Willie the Giant
Jimmy MacDonald as The Cow
Cliff Edwards as Mr U.N Trustworthy
Edgar Bergen as Himself/Narrator

Next up was something that the company was proud of, once referred to as their attempt at a horror film, it is more akin to a classic ghost story. This was advertised as something for the grown-ups and children looking for a fright. And they got one! 1948 saw the release of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, which was critically acclaimed but suffered at the box office. Not a bomb, but not a success either.

The plot concerns new schoolteacher Ichabod Crane (Hans Conried), who arrives in town looking to make something of himself. As a result of his charms and general wit, he ends up wiooing quite a few ladies, though none catch his eye more than the lovely Katrina Von Tassel (Evelyn Venable) As a result of the shortened runtime, Katrina was given a larger speaking part as a vain but good natured woman. His main challenge comes in the form of the town jock Brom Bones (Bing Crosby) and a brief love triangle with the unkempt but still reasonably attractive Tilda (June Foray). The tension comes, for the most part, from the occasionally odd note or darkened shadows that cause Crane to worry throughout the film, and the narration by Vincent Price. The battles between Bones and Crane form most of the first and second acts, equal parts slapstick and battle between two grey moralities, while Katrina watches in amusement.

All this changes after one last humiliation, where Crane prepares to marry the wealthy Katrina for her land, Brom hits upon the idea of telling him the story of the Headless Horseman. The rest of the film is a tense, often silent build up to the appearance of the sinister Horseman (Billy Bletcher) and when he arrives, Crane is chased all over the place. He vanishes after the Horseman attacks him, with Bones and Katrina marrying and becoming happy, Tilda finding love and Crane either having eloped to Britain or having been spirited away by the Horseman himself. Pleasant dreams!

Critics proclaimed that Disney had his spark back, and very clearly enjoyed working on this film.

CAST
Hans Conried as Ichabod Crane
Bing Crosby as Brom Bones
Evelyn Venable as Katarina Von Tassel
Bill Thompson as Baron Von Tassel
June Foray as Tilda
Billy Bletcher as Headless Horseman
Vincent Price as Narrator/Host

Finally, in 1949, a movie affectionately and not affectionately regarded as an Animator's Adventure in Wonderhell came out. Alice in Wonderland was a package film, and treated as such throughout by the workers. Walt liked the performances, he just didn't like the movie overall despite some wonderfully psychedelic animation. The plot can be summarized easily by just listing the segments, most people know it, you probably do too.

The White Rabbit
The Tunnel
The Race
The Growing and Shrinking Potions/The Caterpillar
The Story of the Walrus and the Carpenter
The Mad Tea Party
The Croquet Game
The Trial
The End

Though well-regarded, it is generally seen as a lesser film, with a lot of the individual parts of the package not quite coming together to make a whole. Walt himself thought that the novel was unadaptable as it was, and so didn't even bother to address the purists in the room. He had bigger and better focuses too. 1950, the year that Fantasia would come out. And he had big plans for it.

CAST
Natalie Wood as Alice
Ed Wynn as Mad Hatter
Jerry Colonna as March Hare
Mel Blanc as Caterpillar/King of Hearts/Doorknob
Sterling Holloway as Cheshire Cat
Verna Felton as Queen of Hearts
J. Pat O'Malley as Tweedledum and Tweedledee/Walrus and Carpenter/Mother Oyster
Bill Thompson as White Rabbit/The Dodo
Heather Angel as Alice's sister

Tudor Owen as Bill the Lizard
Jimmy MacDonald as Dormouse/Flamingos

(Author's Note: Next time, we'll see how Fantasia plays out in this reality, and afterwards we'll return to see how Fleischer was doing in this time.)

Loving this TL so far. As for Fleischer Bros, I for one would like to believe that they got round to creating a feature-length version of their Superman shorts. Maybe even scooped up Wind in the Willows along the way. But that's just me.

Loving this TL so far. As for Fleischer Bros, I for one would like to believe that they got round to creating a feature-length version of their Superman shorts. Maybe even scooped up Wind in the Willows along the way. But that's just me.
Or do the Batman shorts that they wanted to do in the OTL.

Chapter Five: Fantasia
Walt Disney needed Fantasia to work. So much so that during his time in the studio, he spent less time observing the animation, rather he repeatedly worked in developing Fantasound is in all it's glory, making it easier and compacter to store in cinemas so that less work would need to be done. In addition, new segments were added to the film, not many but enough to build up the suspense. Walt was unsure about his original plan of re-releasing the film and adding new segments on, so he threw a couple of his ideas into that. At last, the day arrived of Fantasia's big premiere. But it would be more than just a screening. It would be an event.

in 1949, tickets went on sale for Fantasia LIVE! Which, the advertisement assured guests, would be a once in a lifetime chance to see Leopold Stokowski conduct the Philadelphia Orchestra for one night only to the animation of Walt Disney, even more noticeable since the conductor had left the Philadelphia scene some time ago. Tickets for normal screenings of the film would also be provided, but with the rumours of Fantasia being what they were, the Live screening sold out fast. All arrived and witnessed Deems Taylor introduce each film, while true to his word, Stokowski would conduct the music in time to the animation. There was no syncing, no tricks played. Fantasia was actually alive in front of them, even using tricks of the light and perspective to see Mickey Mouse shake the conductor's hand in appreciation. The word of mouth of this spectacular concert meant that near every cinema was packed, with the brand new sound systems enhancing the mood. It was just what was needed for a weary war-torn country. Overseas too, the results were spectacular. Fantasia had paid off, and it was proof enough to the critics that Walt DIsney had not lost his touch in the slightest.

The segments were as follows:

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Johann Sebastian Bach sat abstract shapes form out of the music, reacting to it and moving about.

The Nutcracker Suite by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky featured the changing of the seasons set to the music of the Nutcracker.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice by Paul Dukas saw the film that started it all, with Mickey Mouse as the rambunctious and overtly confident apprentice to the powerful Yen Sid, and his mishap with spells and brooms and a cheeky wizard's hat.

Rite of Spring by Igor Stravinsky saw the last surviving composer featured in the film call it a triumph, as after some consideration Walt restored his original ending of the song, which saw the march of the dinosaurs fade away into the birth of early man. Though it attracted some critique from creationists, it was comparitively minor in the grand scheme of things, and Igor himself praised the film when he got a chance to see it.

Intermission/Meet the Soundtrack was a original piece which was mostly an excuse for the orchestra to warm up. This was actually the trickiest bit to preform live, though it was managed well enough by both Taylor and the orchestra.

The Pastoral Symphony by Ludwig van Beethoven saw a greek pageant play out, with centaurs (Minus one stereotype cut out to avoid particular controversy in that area) frolicking with Dinoysus before Zeus shows up and pits a fit.

Peter and the Wolf by Sergei Prokofiev would see the classic tale play out to the orchestral overtones, with Taylor providing the famous spiel about which instrument represents which creature at the beginning. Though a take on this usually takes 25 minutes, cutting out the narration between each bit of music spedit up.

Dance of the Hours by Amilcare Ponchielli saw a comedy between a group of crocodiles, a group of ostriches, a group of elephants and a group of hippos ice skating against each other.

The Blue Danube by Johann Strauss II would consist of a scene recreating Noah's Ark, with one of Noah's sons and a young farm girl attempting to make their way back onto the boat and survive the flood.

Night on Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky showed the arrival on Halloween night of a creature referred to either as the devil or Chernabog making merry and preparing to take the world for himself, until he is brought low and retreats into the mountain at the sound of:

Ave Maria by Franz Schubert, as a group of monks make their way through a forest and into a ruined cathedral which reconstructs itself into a glorious chapel in a final scene that brought the audience to a standing ovation.

Fantasia was a success from top to bottom. But there was worry in Walt's mind as he turned to the fifties. For he was not the only animator in town now. He was the most famous, yes, and this was a massive achievement that had put most others to shame. But Fleischer had had a decent decade of their own, too, and could not be ignored long. And though they were getting their own legs, other companies were preparing their own animation studios. The competition was on.