Feel the Bearn - A Timeline of France's Only Carrier in WWII and Beyond

Pangur

Donor
So a Super Suez type scenario....this could be interesting and Britain better off in the long term????
That crossed my mind then I read the last update however for some reason I dont think its going to go that way. I wonder as an aside if these events would get the Indians a bit for fired up to end the Raj?

But what was the recording from the Russians?

That the British attacked the French and not the reverse obviously. After all the Bearn recovered one of the shot down pilots from the attack. Who apparently was the package flown away from the Bearn before the British killed it...

Chapter 2 - A Deal With The Devil
June 4, 1945 (12:40PM)

It would do. The fires were largely out, although the ship's repair companies lacked the materials to patch the now gaping holes in the carrier's shattered flight deck. The immediate danger had passed, and compartments flooded in fire fighting efforts were now being pumped out. As it was, the ship's list had been reduced to 3 degrees.

2013.005.022.015.002.-300x191.jpg

Jauques Cousteau took a moment and then addressed the sailors who were gathered before him, as well as those below decks via intercom.

"Men, I praise you. We have fought a battle together, and we remain. If we were logical, the future would be bleak, indeed. But we are more than just logical. We are French, and we have faith, and we have hope, and we can work! And in a moment, I will be radioing our command. And what shall I tell them? Quite simply this! That the Bearn lives!"

The roar of response could be heard hundreds of yards away.

Jacques-Yves_Cousteau_Les_Mousquemers_en_1948.jpg

June 4, 1945 (1:10PM)

Harry Truman waited until the French and Soviet ambassadors had departed the Oval Office. He then turned to James Byrne. The former Supreme Court justice and erstwhile head of the Office of Economic Stabilization had become Truman's closest confident in recent months. Far moreso than the current Secretary of State, of whom Truman felt would have been pleased with the direction that matters had gone within continental Europe over the last 24 hours.

"Thoughts?" asked the President.

"It's a huge gamble," replied Byrne. "Even though they agreed to our provision that access be granted only through two narrow corridors, it is still a risk. The Russians have been driven by revenge, Mr. President. Once they cross that border there is little to prevent them from sacking each German town and village on the way to the French zones."

"Agreed," said Truman. "It's the best of a banquet of poor options. Stalin is getting everything he wanted. Heck, probably much more."

"And what of Churchill?," asked Byrne.

"What of him? He's fortunate that I did not demand reparations to France on the spot."

"He's facing a general election next month. He seems - not himself. Power tends to intoxicate men. It is almost never surrendered voluntarily. I worry for what happens next."

"I do too, James. I do too."

... what has Truman got on Winnie?

Possibly a copy of his Doctors report regarding the amount of Lead in his Tea coupled with the shocking realisiation that the British system of Government has shockingly been suspended without any one realising and for one of its greatest champions (Winni) having become a mad Dictator.

June 4, 1945 (6:03PM EST)

A lone aircraft touched down on a landing strip of the Salon-de-Provence Air Base. Moments later the Cessna JRC-1 had taxied to a stop and was greeted by a phalanx of French soldiers. The last surviving aircraft of the Bearn had arrived, and so had its package.

June 4, 1945 (6:15PM EST)
Thousands of Soviet troops surged across the border of the American zone of occupation. Heading west, a seeming endless train of soldiers, tanks, and other vehicles left Eisenach behind. Frightened Germans stayed behind locked doors as the Soviet forces rumbled past. The stories of Russian vengeance over the last year remained fresh in their minds.

east-prussia-soviet-tanks.jpg
1653235103545.png

June 4, 1945 (6:30PM EST)

"Oh, of course I had seen Winston angry. But never like this. His face was red. He was apoplectic, raging about how the Americans had betrayed the English-speaking peoples. He stood in his office with us before him, lecturing us incessantly on the alliance between France and the Soviets. And now apparently, the Americans as well. This went on for over an hour.

But when word reached us that the Bearn had not been sunk, he was silent. He ordered us out of the room. And after a few seconds, behind closed doors he began to rage anew."

Interview with First Lord Brendan Bracken, published in "A Lion In The Whirlwind" by Charles Edward Lysaght (1975)

winston-churchill.jpg
1653235122172.png

Last edited:
"Oh, of course I had seen Winston angry. But never like this. His face was red. He was apoplectic, raging about how the Americans had betrayed the English-speaking peoples. He stood in his office with us before him, lecturing us incessantly on the alliance between France and the Soviets. And now apparently, the Americans as well. This went on for over an hour.

But when word reached us that the Bearn had not been sunk, he was silent. He ordered us out of the room. And after a few seconds, behind closed doors he began to rage anew."

Still waiting for that goddamn no-confidence vote

Last edited:
June 5, 1945

Cease Fire in the Levant! - Daily Mirror headline

Russia enters defense pact with France! Soviet troops enter French zones of occupation
- Daily Herald headline

Britain back down! De Gaulle declares victory - Evening Standard headline

Soviets' Dramatic Peace Move Ends Imperialist War - Daily Worker headline

Remarkably the Soviets kept to the terms of the arrangement that they had made with the United States. Forty three armored division thundered their way through two corridors within the American zones of occupation in Germany and Austria that had been agreed upon by the Truman administration. Even more remarkably the terror that had been visited upon the German populace only weeks earlier had been avoided. As they began to enter the French zones of occupation they were greeted with embraces by relieved French soldiers as they entered Bad Ems, Mainz, and Innsbruck.

Citoy_Normandie_Niemen_02_pilotesF_S.jpg

Paris, France

The acrid smell of still smoldering debris lingered in De Gaulle's senses as he stood before the surviving members of the French Parliament outside of its wrecked quarters. He continued his speech, which was being broadcast throughout France. Indeed, to the entire world.

"Some will say that in the fight to save our nation, we have lost ourselves. That is nonsense. The leader of Britain, even before engaging in an undeclared war against our people had proudly said that if his nation must choose between Europe and the Americans, he would always stand on the side of the Americans. Well it is not the Americans who have saved Europe! It is the French. It is the Dutch. It is the Poles. It is the Greeks. Indeed, it is Europe who has saved itself. And it is Europe who now begins its first steps into this new world. As for our Russian allies, they have been the one friend who has remained true to us through this struggle. Unlike the timorous Americans or the Prefidious Albion we have always known where they stand. Indeed, they will join us as we work together build a new Europe. And they will join us in punishing our enemies."

De Gaulle paused.

"Henceforth, I declare that the German territories conquered by France are forevermore to be part of the French nation! The honor of our nation demands this, and it will be restored upon the backs of those who wished to subjugate the world. As well, we will work jointly with our Russian allies in establishing a network of defense both there and in the jointly administered region of Tirol. Never again will the Prefidious Albion threaten our women and children. Never again will we listen to false words of unity and shared hardship! Instead, we will be firm, pure, and faithful. We will work as French, as Russians, as Czechs, as Dutch, as all of Europe together. For indeed, it will be Europe that decides the fate of the world!"

article-victory-crop.jpg
1653235518904.png

Damascus, Syria

Smoke continued to rise from the shattered city, but for the first time in several days there was quiet. The surviving French soldiers had returned to their barracks, under the watchful eyes of members of the 31st Indian Armoured Division. The Levant Crisis was over, and the cheering Syrians welcomed the end of French rule.

1945_Aftermath_of_the_Bombardment_of_Damascus.jpg

15 miles south of Crete

The light cruiser USS Marblehead had taken the crippled Bearn in tow. It would be a long, treacherous journey from the Mediterranean to the Brooklyn Naval Yard, but that remained the planned destination. And it was part of the agreement with the French, in exchange for not releasing the recording that had been played to President Truman. For it would be the United States who would repair and rebuild the French carrier.

11f604a6d2ede763bfcdb64f2c986643.jpg

Last edited:
Bearn in tow. It would be a long, treacherous journey from the Mediterranean to the Brooklyn Naval Yard, but that remained the planned destination. And it was part of the agreement with the French, in exchange for not releasing the recording that had been played to President Truman.

You may as well just hand the French a short hulled Essex or something it's probably easier than rebuilding a wholly obsolete, battle damaged ship that's probably inferior to a Lexington, also while the USN is busying drawing down its production

Patience. It will get more interesting, and hopefully make more sense as updates continue.

One phone call to the Brits informing them that the US will crash the British economy and withdraw lend-lease is likely enough to topple Churchill's government if Truman wants Churchill removed he almost certainly can.

You may as well just hand the French a short hulled Essex or something it's probably easier than rebuilding a wholly obsolete, battle damaged ship that's probably inferior to a Lexington, also while the USN is busying drawing down its production

That would be the most logical solution. But replacing the Bearn with a more modern ship - free of charge - isn't what is at play here. Logic isn't the issue. National pride is. And a symbol. Which the Bearn, as damaged as she is, has now become.

Oh fuck, the full annexion of the occupied territories. Looks like we can truly say goodbye to European construction as was done OTL, now.

Pangur

Donor
The question .that comes to mind is this. Are the Americans going to repair the ship or repair and improve? I'm thinking in terms of improve length and perhaps reengine

You think that came before or after De Gaulle asked the Soviets for a treaty

:kissingheart:
I’d say after. Before, we made a protectorate out of a part of the Ruhr then allowed it to go back to West Germany through a referendum. Here? I’d say de Gaulle has given up on UK and is going straight to sharing the continent with Stalin using the US as a back-up, the idea being that Washington knows that as long as it props Paris, Moscow will not have total and absolute control of the Continent.

The political question in France will be fascinating, though. Maybe de Gaulle will remain in power for longer, but then his image is going to suffer fast when France goes through, under his helm, the post-War years that were historically pretty tough, with in this TL likely less US aid.

However, and this is the really big issue: the Communists will be a crucial part of any government he makes, both for good and bad. One of the possible outcomes for it is that Frédéric Joliot-Curie will suddenly be VERY motivated as the Atomic Energy Commissionner. He was historically the first Commissionner of the CEA, the French Atomic Energy Commissariat but was pushed out in 1950 for his communist sympathies. He patented the nuclear device back in 1939 though patent 445686, application 3, see. Now imagine for an instant a communist Curie in a pro-communist France around the time USSR got its first nuclear devices?

One of the butterflies that we might see could be that, if the colonial wars still happen, they might not be framed in the Communist/Capitalist opposition for the French Empire. Or if they do, the Empire would not be fighting communist-backed revolutionaries but US/UK backed ones. Ho Chi Mînh backed by either or both of them providing weapons and intel, anyone? At that point, the battle of Dien Bien Phu, in such a butterfly, would then end with Béarn launching a nuclear strike on the rebel forces.

A pretty scary outcome, if you ask me. And one that would make a terrifying precedent.