Fear, Loathing and Gumbo on the Campaign Trail '72

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 40957

Count me as an instant fan of the Portuguese Pope, although I can't imagine the Church establishment will stand for him trying to overthrow one of their most ardent allies. There's a big difference between antagonizing the Polish Communists and attacking the regime whose grab for power the Church considered a Crusade.

Governor Crane has also circulated a proposed amendment to the United States Constitution which would in effect repeal the document first drafted in Philadelphia in 1787 and restore as the United States Constitution an older document known as “the Articles of Confederation.” Under these documents, the federal government, apart from a central consultative Congress, would cease to exist.

Holy shit. Are there any sane third parties active now?

(Well, Dellums and Nader aren't too bad, but they do seem to have an overly idealistic view of foreign policy.)

Governor Crane has also circulated a proposed amendment to the United States Constitution which would in effect repeal the document first drafted in Philadelphia in 1787 and restore as the United States Constitution an older document known as “the Articles of Confederation.” Under these documents, the federal government, apart from a central consultative Congress, would cease to exist.

So the American government is being abolished now?

Then again, considering what has happened ITTL, I wouldn't be surprised if that is a strong movement now.

Last edited:

Goldstein

Banned
Count me as an instant fan of the Portuguese Pope, although I can't imagine the Church establishment will stand for him trying to overthrow one of their most ardent allies. There's a big difference between antagonizing the Polish Communists and attacking the regime whose grab for power the Church considered a Crusade.

IOTL, Franco went close to excommunication because of his stances around the post-Vatican II priests, so I can see this happening easily now that things have become really ugly in the peninsula. It may be a ray of hope for the future of Spain ITTL.

BTW, I've been reading this TL recently, and I'm subscribed. Nice to see an American politics TL that actually realizes there is an outside world. And just saying... I've read really morbid stuff in this site, including the grimdark AAPA and the Anglo American/Nazi war... but unlike these, the Lesser Mao's China has brought me nightmares, and I'm not talking metaphorically.

Hmm... I thought Crane was elected governor of North Dakota back in 76... Is this most recent update a correction?

Actually that sounds more right than Idaho; I can't find the specific refernece, but I have re-edited the article for North Dakota.

Actually that sounds more right than Idaho; I can't find the specific refernece, but I have re-edited the article for North Dakota.

It was page 47, with your update detailing the general election campaigns between Wallace and Reagan.

The support of PSOE sympathizers as well as people who would have voted in the OTL centre and centre-right will be essential to replace the Falangist, in accordance to the plan devised by the Holy Father.

Keep it up, Drew!:)

Last edited:

Spengler

Banned
Following the precepts of Libertarianism which call for smaller government, and more local control, many of the functions of the former Secretary of State’s office were passed back to local supervisory boards, county clerks and local administrators. What functions could not be passed down to the local governments were contracted out to Arthur Anderson, a private accountancy and auditing firm.
I really doubt that could in any way end well. However, I do not doubt that most utopias no matter how well intentioned will fail because of their own assumptions about man's better natures.

Also, I was wondering is LessER Mao trying to push around India over remaining territorial disputes?

Last edited:
Arthur Anderson? This can't end well for North Dakota.

Waiting for the next major update, Drew.

Or, as Bart Scott said: Can't wait!!!

It was page 47, with your update detailing the general election campaigns between Wallace and Reagan.

Eh, not North Dakota at all.NoDaks are the only people with a state owned bank, state owned insurance; few if any conservatives have openly attacked these institutions. A libertarian, like the one mentioned, would run into untold resistance. Also, this era was the golden age of the state's Democratic party. A Libertarian revolution in ol MoDal land in the 1970s is AND.

Galtieri ? was the name of the Argentinian whacko that started the Falklands war. Will America ends like 2002 Argentina ?
Same surname, different man.

Eh, not North Dakota at all.NoDaks are the only people with a state owned bank, state owned insurance; few if any conservatives have openly attacked these institutions. A libertarian, like the one mentioned, would run into untold resistance. Also, this era was the golden age of the state's Democratic party. A Libertarian revolution in ol MoDal land in the 1970s is AND.

Yeah, Idaho makes way more sense.

Please excuse the typos; AND shoudl be ASB, and MoDal is "NoDak Land"; this is what happens when you post on your phone with auto-correct! Damned auto-correct :D

John Farson

Banned
Please excuse the typos; AND shoudl be ASB, and MoDal is "NoDak Land"; this is what happens when you post on your phone with auto-correct! Damned auto-correct :D

Since you yourself are a N. Dakotan, I trust you indeed know about these things.

The N. Dakota chapter may need a retcon. One that moves the whole Libertarian experiment there to another state that would be more fertile ground for that sort of thing.

Since you yourself are a N. Dakotan, I trust you indeed know about these things.

The N. Dakota chapter may need a retcon. One that moves the whole Libertarian experiment there to another state that would be more fertile ground for that sort of thing.

Idaho would be a good choice for the retcon, as it is (and I think was) more fiscally conservative than even Montana.

Idaho would be a good choice for the retcon, as it is (and I think was) more fiscally conservative than even Montana.

I can't change the text on either entry back as it has been more than a week since they were posted. Idaho seems like a more likely choice for this anyway.

I can't change the text on either entry back as it has been more than a week since they were posted. Idaho seems like a more likely choice for this anyway.

Maybe could you put the entire TTL into Completed Timelines when it is finished and then do the necessary ret-conning?

Maybe could you put the entire TTL into Completed Timelines when it is finished and then do the necessary ret-conning?
Yes, and you can retcon the Federal District of the Hudson (like you agreed to) while you're at it.

Personally, I'm quite excited by the Libertarian experiment, whether it's in ND or Idaho.

Status
Not open for further replies.