Favorite Small Countries to Remain/Become Independent?

Grey Wolf

Donor
Favourites would include:-

Ragusa - instead of being annexed by the Austrians have it guaranteed by the Powers
The Ionian Islands - they lost more than they gained by being ceded to Greece, have them continue as a British protectorate until independence a la Malta
The Kingdom of Majorca - if the British had taken all 3 islands instead of just Minorca they could have set this up again as a protectorate, ensuring its legitimacy
Avignon - after the Napoleonic Wars have it re-established not as a Papal possession but as an independent entity

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Cabinda, Goa, and Macau (all are part of nations who seized these areas in the name of decolonisation without any regard to international law or the wishes of their populations)

The City of London

Tibet (with Surmang monestary as an exclave)

A republic for the Min people of China (and probably the other dialects as well)

Carpathian Rus

Wilno

Crete

Crimea

Khakass, Tatarstan, Karelia, Chukotka, Okhotsk, and Sakha

Ryukyu

Dissolve the US and UK into their constituent parts
some of these are not really micro states or even small.

Republic of West Florida
Republic of Yucatan

Pale of Calais
County of Flanders
Kingdom of Hanover
Duchy of Normandy

Minoan State

Duchy of Grand Fenwick

Last edited:
Just starting out with Germany
- Ducal Prussia
- Pomermania
- Mecklenburg ( perhaps a union between both into a single larger state like OTL)
Mostly because having more small baltic nations sounds like fun

And just for kicks
East Germany

Just starting out with Germany
- Ducal Prussia
- Pomermania
- Mecklenburg ( perhaps a union between both into a single larger state like OTL)
Mostly because having more small baltic nations sounds like fun

And just for kicks
East Germany
if we doing that can we please have an independent Holstein.

My timeline that I'm slowly developing is inundated in small states. Venice and Bavaria are major players as is a perpetual Warlord Era-esk China. I'm aiming for a 18th Century feel in a 21st Century world - lots of opportunities for traders and soldiers and the like to make their way in the "wildlands" of a not-united world. I just think the world is a bit more adventurous with smaller/weaker states instead of larger ones.

Last edited:
Over the centuries, many countries much smaller than their neighbors have remained independent through their importance (Luxembourg as "the Gibraltar of the North", the Vatican, Singapore), relative irrelevance (Andorra), or through luck (San Marino with Napoleon and Garibaldi). Which relatively countries- an island/archipelago, city-state- do you like seeing as an independent polity? What lands would you like to see appended to them?

My personal favorites:
-Lubeck, Hamburg, and Bremen, possibly adding Danzig to make a Hanseatic Union
-Gotland
-Kingdom of the Isles with the Hebrides, Mann, Orkneys, Shetlands, and Faroes
-the Dalmatian city-states (Ragusa, Kotor, Split, Trogir, Rab, Zadar, Cres, and Krk) with maybe Fiume/Rijeka and Istria
-the Ionian Islands
-the Canaries
-Madeira, maybe add the Azores to them
-Ulm (for the memes)
-Sulu
Taured