Favorite Small Countries to Remain/Become Independent?

Over the centuries, many countries much smaller than their neighbors have remained independent through their importance (Luxembourg as "the Gibraltar of the North", the Vatican, Singapore), relative irrelevance (Andorra), or through luck (San Marino with Napoleon and Garibaldi). Which relatively countries- an island/archipelago, city-state- do you like seeing as an independent polity? What lands would you like to see appended to them?

My personal favorites:
-Lubeck, Hamburg, and Bremen, possibly adding Danzig to make a Hanseatic Union
-Gotland
-Kingdom of the Isles with the Hebrides, Mann, Orkneys, Shetlands, and Faroes
-the Dalmatian city-states (Ragusa, Kotor, Split, Trogir, Rab, Zadar, Cres, and Krk) with maybe Fiume/Rijeka and Istria
-the Ionian Islands
-the Canaries
-Madeira, maybe add the Azores to them
-Ulm (for the memes)
-Sulu

Nephi

Banned
Vermont.

Heavy-handed attempts and outright refusal from New York to drop it's claim results in Vermont making a deal with the British.

Eventually the US is forced to recognize the small republic.

Vermont is an interesting place, it has a small but well armed population with a proud history of being the second independent sate formed in North America.

Historically a mediator, something of the Switzerland of North America, it begin playing this role following the war of 1812.

Remaining independence:

- Venice
- Tuscany
- Scotland
- Vermont
- Several Indian principalities
- Trieste
- Zanzibar
- Saarland

Gaining independence

- Aland (imaginate tax haven in Baltic Sea)
- Faroe Islands
- Chechnya
- Abkhazia
- Palestine (two-state model with Israel)
- Hong Kong

Grisons/the Grey Leagues, the Romansch heartland of Switzerland. An interesting rugged, rural mountain state. Add Sondrio to have a fourth league as well as perhaps different internal politics.

Geneva as an independent city state would be nice too.

Neuchâtel; first in personal union with Prussia and then Germany, and then as the last remnant of the Hohenzollern domains after the First World War.

Ragusa; if Malta is the last refuge of Siculo-Arabic, then Ragusa would be the last Dalmatian-speaking country, and the local dialect would be as influenced by Chakavian as Maltese is influenced by Sicilian.

Ryukyu; maybe the US could restore the kingdom after the Second World War, adding the Nanpō Islands to it as well.

Zanzibar; it had some serious potential to become the Singapore of Africa, or at least one of the wealthier African countries.

Over the centuries, many countries much smaller than their neighbors have remained independent through their importance (Luxembourg as "the Gibraltar of the North", the Vatican, Singapore), relative irrelevance (Andorra), or through luck (San Marino with Napoleon and Garibaldi). Which relatively countries- an island/archipelago, city-state- do you like seeing as an independent polity? What lands would you like to see appended to them?

BLASPHEMY! They will belong to Portugal. FOREVER!

Add Britanny to your list. There needs to be a real Celtic nation to make Asterix proud! Add the Basque and the Balearics. Anything that makes Spain much smaller.

I don't know if this counts. but to me, it would be interesting if the Knights of St. John still ruled Malta and/or Caribbean islands.

Skallagrim

Banned
Literally all of them. Point to any unification in history, and I'd rather it hadn't happened. Point to any secession, and I support it.

Since big cities tend to dominate the politics of the states they're in, I'm always particularly keen on splitting them off. In the USA, turning New York, Los Angeles and Chicago into city-states would be a great start. In Europe, I think that Istanbul, Saint Petersburg, Hamburg and Odessa would be great city-states. Also, finally split up Belgium and turn Brussels into an independent polis. The obvious candidate in China would be Hong Kong, but many coastal cities would be great candidates. Guangzhou and Shanghai, for instance. In India, cities like Mumbai and Chennai could easily be independent.

Kaze

Banned
Kuril Islands - independent kingdom under my rule.
Manhattan under an Anglo-Dutch flag, but independent of their rule.
Corsica
Carpatho-Ruthenia
Palestine (two-state model with Israel)
Hong Kong
Tasmania
Pitcairn Island
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Puerto Rico
Brittany
Hawaii (with a Japan style deal to keep a US military base at Pearl Harbor)

My personal favorites:
-Lubeck, Hamburg, and Bremen, possibly adding Danzig to make a Hanseatic Union
-Gotland
-Kingdom of the Isles with the Hebrides, Mann, Orkneys, Shetlands, and Faroes
-the Dalmatian city-states (Ragusa, Kotor, Split, Trogir, Rab, Zadar, Cres, and Krk) with maybe Fiume/Rijeka and Istria
-the Ionian Islands
-the Canaries
-Ulm (for the memes)
-Sulu
Neutral Moresnet