Fantasy and Alien Blank Basemaps Thread

Susano

Banned
Anyway, resuming the thread:

Map of Westeros from A Song of Ice and Fire, showing the Seven Kingdoms.

For those not familiar with the series, this is just one continent on which the action takes place, not the whole world - but the world has not been entirely shown through maps yet.

Oh, not bad. Of course, Westeros.org already has basemaps, heh. Also, after the anti-Targaryen uprising King Landing and Dragonstone are two seperate entities... Of course, your map appears to be from scratch, and for that its really good!

Thande

Donor
Oh, not bad. Of course, Westeros.org already has basemaps, heh. Also, after the anti-Targaryen uprising King Landing and Dragonstone are two seperate entities... Of course, your map appears to be from scratch, and for that its really good!

It's a traced editable version of this one:

westeros1yj8.gif

Hey Thande, re the Darkness series, I was never able to figure out who Jelgava corresponded to. They seemed made up of parts of lots of other different countries.

So basically, who is orange in UCS?

Thande

Donor
Hey Thande, re the Darkness series, I was never able to figure out who Jelgava corresponded to. They seemed made up of parts of lots of other different countries.

Jelgava is closest to the Low Countries IMO, although it was confused by the way Turtledove switched stuff up later on. Orange represents the Dutch.

As requested by DAv: the Discworld, world and mirror of worlds.

Discworld 3.png

Thande

Donor
Just a quick bump on my earlier request... any takers?

What exactly do you want? A straightforward trace of land and sea like my earlier ones wouldn't mean much what with it being a big rectangular continent. What other features would you want transcribed?

Surpired no-one's suggested Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea yet... very interesting map, though basically lots of little islands so might be rather fiddly.

What exactly do you want? A straightforward trace of land and sea like my earlier ones wouldn't mean much what with it being a big rectangular continent. What other features would you want transcribed?

Mountains and rivers, mostly, if you don't mind Almighty Thande. You see, I made a Risk boardgame out of this Map, but it was with a projector and literally tracing it. I got all the details you see in that black and white and I do mean all of it. Then I went through and made some judgements on borders, colored it in, and voila! Making a simpler one, though, which I can manipulate without a projector and pencil would just be amazing to have. That's all.

Thande

Donor
Here's a preliminary map of the Discworld showing borders between civilisations (which are never really defined in-universe so it's mostly guesswork).

Discworld.PNG

Thande

Donor
How elitarian of you. Only a selected few will be able to view this - as it requires to be logged in at CF.net ;)

Gah, I didn't realise the imagehost was dependent on that.

I did upload it to my Deviantart as well but I don't know if they allow hotlinking. Let's find out:

Discworld_Political_Mapp_by_BlamedThande.png

Gah, I didn't realise the imagehost was dependent on that.

I did upload it to my Deviantart as well but I don't know if they allow hotlinking. Let's find out:

For some reason, I thought Omnia didn't have a coastline. :eek:

EDIT: Why are there two places called "Ur"? Is Klatchistan a region or a country? I've never really been clear on that one.
And :eek: on the size of Uberwald. I thought that it was about half that size...

EDIT again: And you have Ghat and Farferee the wrong way round...

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
EDIT: Why are there two places called "Ur"? Is Klatchistan a region or a country? I've never really been clear on that one.
I don't know why there are two Urs, but it's on the Discworld Mapp, and considering how daft some things are on Roundworld...

A lot of the countries in Klatch the continent are sometimes treated as part of Klatch the country - my interpretation was that they are sometimes vassals of Klatch proper and part of the empire but are still considered distinct regions - like for example Egypt vis-a-vis the Ottoman Empire.
And :eek: on the size of Uberwald. I thought that it was about half that size...
In "The Fifth Elephant" Vimes reads that Uberwald is 'five or six times the size of the whole of the Sto Plains' (i.e. Ankh-Morpork, Quirm, Pseudopolis, Sto Lat, and the region I've labelled as (other) Sto Plains (city-states)). If anything I underestimated Uberwald's size...but then Ankh-Morporkians would probably consider places like Borogravia, Zlobenia and Mouldavia to be part of Uberwald as they were formerly part of the Evil Empire, in the same way that a lot of modern Britons confuse Russia with the Soviet Union.

EDIT again: And you have Ghat and Farferee the wrong way round...
Bugger, you're right.