Eyes Turned Skywards

Thank you all for your kind words about my second guest post to this thread! You're a great crowd :D

So Star Wars Episode VI is essentially the same as OTL - the key difference being that the different geopolitical climate makes determining references between it and the World much, much easier. Ouch.
I didn't mention it in the update proper, but something to keep in mind is that since Lucas has been heavily criticized for "introducing political allegory" into Star Wars with Jedi (though he'll claim he did no such thing, of course), the adverse reaction might, might, convince him to stay away from that sort of thing should he decide to revisit Star Wars in the future. Possibly. The unfortunate thing about Lucas is he's so headstrong that this harsh response might backfire and strengthen his resolve instead.

Bahamut-255 said:
And the Star Wars Holiday Special? Well, there are 20+ Billion toilets in the World. It'll never be enough.
Really? Are you honestly telling me that there is more than one toilet for every person in the world? Then why are none ever free when I need one? :p

Bahamut-255 said:
As for the Mondale/Glenn Ticket in 1984? So they perform only very slightly better than IOTL, with Reagan still getting 98% of the States. Mondale really should have thought twice before deciding to tell the US Public the truth. It really didn't work. The question is, will people remember it in 1987? When the taxes went up? I still doubt it.
My reasoning there was that, although Glenn would be able to retain a few of the more lukewarm Reagan Democrats, that would be counterbalanced by those extreme left candidates who decided to support a "mainstream" candidate in the very liberal Mondale/Ferraro ticket (along with radical feminists, of course). They largely stayed home ITTL, allowing Reagan to do better in the Northeast; Glenn did measurably help Mondale in the Midwest, but that only cut into Reagan's massive OTL leads there. (Note that Mondale did slightly better in his home state of Minnesota, for example.) But Glenn isn't that great a campaigner - he crashed and burned in the 1984 primaries IOTL.

Bahamut-255 said:
And while Star Trek TNV began to become rather lacklustre in its ratings, it did, at the very least managed to end on one hell of a high! And what a way to end it too! It really does provide a much-needed sense of closure, while still allowing for a new series to be picked up a couple of years down the line.
Perhaps, but there's a sense that they went out on a high, and there's little need to exploit that with a direct continuation when boffo syndication and merchandising revenues can tide them over. There's also the obvious obstacle of Gene Roddenberry, who will rally and rail against any new Star Trek series while he's still alive. (I mentioned in the first guest post that Paramount briefly entertained the notion of movies to continue the franchise - he's one of the main reasons that never got off the ground ITTL.)

Brainbin
Interlude #2 is wonderful
Merci beaucoup, Michel :cool:

Michel Van said:
I wish that your "Star Trek: Doomsday War" plot end up on desk of JJ Abrams or at Paramount :cool:
I've made no secret of my love for "The Doomsday Machine", which is my favourite episode. The "Doomsday War" concept was largely a tribute to that. And as with the Elasi (or space pirates in general), the concept of the planet killers revisited is also prevalent in fanon and apocryphal material.

Michel Van said:
i wounder, has Alexandro Jodobrosky or Ridley Scott made there version of "Dune" in this ITTL ?
That's an excellent question, one that bears some further investigation. I'm afraid I can't give you a definitive answer right now.

Very interesting and well-reasoned. I was thinking the public would sway slightly away from Reagan for almost the opposite reason you gave, but yours makes sense. Especially since *perception* that the Russians are winning the space race is probably more important than the reality.
This was one of the major themes of my update, yes. Perception is nine-tenths of reality, after all ;)

Expat said:
With the rise of first-run syndication on the horizon, I'd say Star Trek is still a good candidate for a further iteration before too long. I suppose there'd be pressure to bring Hatch in as the captain, especially considering how he behaved around the BSG reboot IOTL.
In a way I feel sorry for Hatch - he can't be considered the best Captain, because Kirk is the Captain ITTL, and though his redemption was complete, he'll still never top Spock in popularity polls. That said, people like him, even despite themselves, and Decker certainly had a fuller character arc than his OTL character. Fun fact: I was also looking at casting Dirk Benedict for the part (as an obvious nod to his castmate, Dwight Schultz, and his involvement in Star Trek IOTL), but Hatch seemed to fit the part better.

Expat said:
More traditional sci-fi has had a better run ITTL but it's almost all "soft" sci-fi- allegory, spirituality, a look at the "human element" of the future. I wonder if the backlash of technology-driven Cyberpunk will be even bigger ITTL or if the audience for it has been lost to a more traditional vision of the future.
That is an excellent point, and something worth thinking about in the future.

I'll weigh in more on other questions later on. Thanks again for the warm reception :)

i wounder, has Alexandro Jodobrosky or Ridley Scott made there version of "Dune" in this ITTL ?
To answer this earlier question, I've discussed this with the two main authors (because all decisions are made with their approval) and they've both agreed that, ITTL, Ridley Scott would go ahead and direct his version of Dune, instead of David Lynch. Of course, this means that Blade Runner was never made ITTL :eek:

I see others comment on the other shows/movies (but I thank you so much Brainbin, and truth is life and e of pi for showcasing him, for your tantalizing and rather inspirational TNV!)
Thank you very much for your compliment :)

Shevek23 said:
So the question remains for Brainbin, did Clarke himself get so caught up in the hysteria he put the harsher elements of the conflict--the orders from the respective goverments that they split up and come home separately for instance--in the book itself, or is most of that still just in the film version?
All right, the easiest solution is to meet somewhere in the middle - Clarke plays up the American-Soviet tensions more than IOTL, but not to the total exclusion of other factors; however, the makers of the film then take that and blow it out of proportion, as they did IOTL, since this was an era of profound paranoia (which leads us into...)

The Day After, that's a good one to bring up. There was a mini-boom of these nuclear holocaust movies at the time, but that's the big one.
A few stray observations about The Day After: it actually inspired a number of these holocaust movies, including the even more devastating British program Threads, which was a direct response to it; the notion of a single post-apocalyptic dystopia inspiring countless others is hardly original or unique to this forum :p The director of The Day After was Nicholas Meyer, who was hired just as he was coming off production of Star Trek II (which obviously does not exist ITTL); though technically it was before the film was actually released (in June, 1982; Meyer was hired in May, but surely strong advance word on that film was enough to clinch the deal anyway). In other words, someone else is directing that movie ITTL. And finally, Mr. Rogers, of all people, devoted several episodes of his show to help children cope with the themes presented in The Day After.

I would argue that something like The Day After is even more inevitable ITTL, given the greater American-Soviet tensions largely taking the form of advanced technological posturing. And note the medium of dissemination: television. It allows for a much more up-close-and-personal impact than a theatrical movie would.

To answer this earlier question, I've discussed this with the two main authors (because all decisions are made with their approval) and they've both agreed that, ITTL, Ridley Scott would go ahead and direct his version of Dune, instead of David Lynch. Of course, this means that Blade Runner was never made ITTL :eek:

Will David Lynch make Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Well Cameron took over the Alien franchise from Scott IOTL. Maybe he gets the table scraps this time as well? Or if Scott actually owns the rights he could give it to his brother, Tony :-/ It's too bad Brainbin's locked Kubrick into Full Metal Jacket- his Blade Runner could be crazy-awesome.

Spielberg? Probably not. Polanski? Doubt butterflies can keep him from being a perv. But how about a Robert Towne script?

Here we go: Tarkovsky. OR: Japanese. Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira) or Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell) does an anime version.

Anyway, it's just as likely (maybe more likely) some other Dick novel gets made first. Polanski would be a great choice for Man in the High Castle. Maybe Cronenberg does Scanner Darkly?

And then later, if it still hasn't been made, Aronofsky can do Electric Sheep.

Alternate Alien franchise is another question. Fewer people are asking the question, "should we even be going out there?" So Aliens might be different. The question might evolve to, "are we doing enough to ensure we are dominant out there?" A space station built on the cheap is overrun or something.

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
IMO Lynch seems to me a better fit for a (more faithful) adaptation of "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale". ;)

Falkenburg

OMG what have i done ?!
i just kill Blade Runner in this TL :eek:

although Ridley Scott version of DUNE would be fantasic.
with desgin of H.R. Giger for worms and Harconen
and Ron Cobb on rest of Dune Univers :cool:

and Scott could make later in life, Blade Runner...

OMG what have i done ?!
i just kill Blade Runner in this TL :eek:

although Ridley Scott version of DUNE would be fantasic.
with desgin of H.R. Giger for worms and Harconen
and Ron Cobb on rest of Dune Univers :cool:

and Scott could make later in life, Blade Runner...

There goes one Cult Classic. :(

Part II: Post 8: Soviet Unmanned Mars Missions
Yeesh. You duck into work on homework for a few hours and when you come up for air you've totally missed updating the thread. Boy is my face red. Actually, that's convenient, because this week and next, we're leaving the Earth behind for a bit, and headed a bit further out for another check in on unmanned missions. This week: Reds on Mars.

Eyes Turned Skyward, Part II: Post #8

Mars, the Red Planet, has always engaged human curiosity and fascination with the sky to a greater extent than perhaps any other heavenly body. From its blood-red color in the sky to its strange behavior, looping back and forth through the sky seemingly capriciously, it has captivated human observers for thousands of years, though perhaps never as much in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The apparent discovery of canali, grooves...canals...on the surface of the planet led to a massive surge in public interest in the planet, with waves of popular science fiction following, all imagining a dying civilization building a huge network of channels to eke out a slightly longer existence. While scientists pulled away from such grandiose notions relatively quickly, the public retained such ideas well into the 1960s. Instead, scientists considered Mars to be a planet with a thinner atmosphere and cooler temperature than Earth, although still capable of supporting simple life, thus explaining the seasonal changes in Mars’ coloration as being caused by the growth and death of plants on the planet’s surface. Mars, as the nearest body that could support life, was therefore a prime target for exploration in the dawning space age. However, that exploration proved a huge disappointment, as flyby probes revealed a heavily cratered surface and an atmosphere not one-tenth as thick as Earth's, but one-one-hundredth, far too thin to support even simple lifeforms. Even after this disappointment, however, the Soviet program continued to try to explore Mars, sending orbiter-landers in 1969 and a set of four probes--two landers carried by flyby buses and two orbiters--in 1973. Unfortunately, both of these missions were largely unsuccessful. The 1969 landers both failed before returning any useful data from the surface, while one of the 1973 landers never even hit the planet, and the other returned only garbage data from its descent. The orbiters of both sets were more successful, returning imagery and other data from Mars, but were overshadowed by the American Mariner 9 and later Viking missions, both of which set a high bar to climb over.

Even after the mixed success at best of the Mars '73 campaign, however, the Reds were not quite done with the Red Planet. Despite the cancellation of the N-1 and the resulting abandonment of the advanced 4NM and 5NM probe designs which depended critically on the big booster's heavy lift capability, Lavochkin was undeterred, starting work on a set of smaller, lighter probes. This would allow them to be launched on Protons (or the RLA or Vulkan then under discussion by Glushko), then rendezvous in Earth orbit to form a complex just as large as the 4NM or 5NM probes, allowing them to carry out all the same missions without the need for Korolev’s booster. However, the engineers at Lavochkin design bureau soon came to their senses, and realized that the complex mission plan of the 5M sample return mission, or even the simpler 4M rover mission could not possibly be reliably performed by the Soviet Union without considerable prior development of all of the technology involved. Most important, considering the dismal success rate of past Soviet Mars missions, was demonstrating the ability to successfully soft-land payloads on Mars and successfully conduct orbital insertions, followed by the 4M rover flight and finally the actual 5M sample return mission. Thus, Lavochkin turned towards a more modest initial goal, developing a 5MV common bus design for Venus and Mars missions (based on the 4V-1 bus designed for the 1975 Venus launch opportunity) which could later be used for the 5M mission's orbital component. The first set of missions to use this bus design would be the Venera 11 and 12 missions for the 1978 launch window. While Venera 12's lander component suffered a number of issues, Venera 11's functioned well, and the buses for both missions performed to specification for the duration needed for the Mars orbital mission scheduled for the 1979 launch window. This final rehearsal cleared the path for Mars 8 and 9 to be launched, and they proceeded uneventfully into space atop Proton boosters when the time came. Upon arriving at Mars, Mars 8 was lost to a failure of the fuel tank pressurization system, but Mars 9 settled into orbit and began its scientific program. Complementing Pioneer Mars, it conducted spectroscopic studies of most of the planet, allowing the creation of the first mineralogical map of Mars when combined with Pioneer Mars data. Furthermore, it created the first high-resolution all-Soviet map of the planet, and exceeded its design lifetime, lasting for nearly 3 times the planned 90 days. Encouraged by the success of the mission, Soviet planetary scientists pushed for a considerably more complex and ambitious mission to follow it up at the 1984 Mars launch window.

This mission, Mars '84, would consist of two portions, an orbital segment based on the 5MV design and a lander segment resembling the small spherical landers of the Mars 2 and 3 missions, or the early Luna lander missions. While carrying a relatively limited suite of scientific instruments and with a short lifetime of perhaps 30 days, they would still be able to return the first Soviet scientific data of any value from the surface of Mars and prove Soviet capabilities for soft-landing payloads on Mars, vital for the complex 5M mission still in the back of many minds. The mission would also offer an opportunity to prove the new Blok R high-energy upper stage, in conjunction with the planetary injection capabilities of the Vulkan rocket, capabilities that were vital for the very ambitious Soviet Venus exploration program. Together, the combination was irresistible, and approval of the program was relatively quick. Development proceeded relatively smoothly, based on the Mars 8 and 10 missions, and the Mars '84 probes (soon publicly named Mars 10 and Mars 11) were launched on schedule and smoothly injected themselves into trans-Mars trajectories using the Blok R. The cruise period was uneventful, a welcome change from the constant trouble that had plagued most previous Soviet missions, and the two probes successfully completed their braking maneuver into Mars orbit. After a week long study period, Mars 10 dropped its probe onto the northern edge of Hellas Planitia, a vast impact basin in the southern hemisphere of Mars. Mars 11 followed up by dropping its lander onto the northern edge of Argyre Planitia, another large southern hemisphere impact basin nearly a third of the way around the planet from Hellas, a week later. Both landers returned considerable amounts of data, including imagery, from the surface, showing that the southern hemisphere basins, at least at the Mars 10 and 11 landing sites, were similar in many ways to the landing sites of the Viking probes in the northern hemisphere. When the landers expired, 26 and 32 days after landing respectively, the orbiters continued observing the planet, gathering more data, more observations, and more images of the planet below. After the completion of their one year mission, they finally expired from the exhaustion of their maneuvering propellants.

By this time, work was already well underway on the next Soviet Mars mission. While time constraints and the focus on the ambitious upcoming Venera and Gallei missions prevented launch during the 1986 launch window, during the 1988 window Mars 12 and 13 were successfully dispatched to the Red Planet atop Vulkan-Blok R rockets. After the Mars Surface Elements carried by each orbiter descended to the surface, each probe would rendezvous with Phobos, conducting in-depth studies of the body before perhaps attempting a soft landing on the body as a final stunt. As with many previous Soviet probes, Mars 12 and 13 carried a number of foreign instruments and experiments, including the Mars Surface Elements present on each probe, which had been designed and built by the European Space Agency (albeit with Soviet input from the Mars 10/11 design, and a Soviet-provided radioisotope thermal generator). Their transit to Mars proceeded uneventfully, proving the reliability of the new 6MV bus design, and both orbiters successfully braked into Mars orbit. The Mars 12 lander was released and touched down successfully in Ares Vallis, downstream of Aram Chaos and close to the planned landing site of Mars 7 a week before Mars 13 released its lander, targeted this time at the crater Alexsei Tolstoy, almost on the opposite side of the planet from the Mars 12 landing site. While performing a generally similar mission to the previous Mars 10 and 11 landers, investigating the geological and atmospheric characteristics of the planet, these would have a much longer surface lifetime than the earlier probes, having been designed to function for up to an Earth year and capable (if just) of communicating directly with Earth. It was hoped that the wide separation would allow comparisons to be made between events in the northern and southern hemispheres, particularly in terms of seismology and weather. In the event, both probes functioned well, successfully reaching Mars' surface and setting up communications shortly afterwards. This marked the first time a European probe had successfully landed on a planetary surface. While neither probe successfully completed the intended one-year mission (the Mars 12 lander ceased to function after 19 days due to a computer glitch, while the Mars 13 probe operated for 10 months before mysteriously shutting down during a local dust storm), they marked the first modest step by the ESA into planetary surface exploration, and demonstrated that it could be completely independent of NASA, a constant latent tension after the Seat Wars.

After dropping off their surface elements, both orbiters maneuvered to intercept Phobos, first imaging the moon from long range then closing in over the course of several months. During this process, Mars 13 suddenly failed while in an intermediate observation orbit, probably due to a computer error, although Mars 12 soldiered on, drawing ever closer to the moon. Finally, after six months of careful approach, it made a soft landing on Phobos in early September 1989, becoming the first human object ever to touch down on another planet's moon. While it survived only a few days on Phobos before conditions became inhospitable for the spacecraft (designed as it was to operate in free space, not on the ground), it still marked another remarkable first for the Soviet space program. Even while it was about to touch down, however, Lavochkin engineers were hard at work on the next step for Soviet Mars exploration, which would consist of a dedicated Phobos-oriented mission, with a lander (Fobos-Grunt) specifically designed to function on Phobos for weeks or months. This would launch hopefully in 1994, to be followed up in 1998 by a Phobos sample return mission. Such a mission would prove many of the techniques needed for a Mars sample return mission, the ultimate in Soviet as well as American Mars science, which could hopefully be launched sometime in the first decade of the next century. Unfortunately, just as Mars 12 touched down political events began to spiral out of control for the Soviet Union, and it quickly became impossible for the Union, or later Russia, to make further forward progress alone.

As an interesting aside, the crater Alexsei Tolstoy, targeted by the Mars 13 lander, is named after two important Russian authors (both related to the famous Leo Tolstoy). The later of the two writers was an important Soviet sympathizer and author who, after leaving Russia as a White emigre during the Civil War, later returned to the Soviet Union in the 1920s. There, he wrote a number of novels, among which was the science-fiction novel Aelita. Its depiction of a Red revolution on the Red Planet perhaps owed more to Lowell and Wells than contemporary astronomy, but proved highly influential to the later Soviet space program. In addition to spawning an important black-and-white silent film, one of the first feature-length science-fiction films and possessed of a unique constructivist design sense, the novel gave its name to a series of Soviet human Mars expedition proposals in the 1960s and early 1970s. The fact that 1989 was also (roughly) the 65th anniversary of the film Aelita’s release was perhaps coincidence, given official Soviet ambivalence towards the film.

Wonderful piece on Mars exploration by the Soviet

on Failure of Mars 4 to 7
it was because of faulty transistors in probe electronics.
some intelligent goofball at Transistor factory Voronezhskiy,
had the glorious idea to replace Gold by Aluminum in the transistors and not to inform the clients on this.
4 months before Launch they discover the problem as during testing parts of the Probes failed.
it was impossible to replace the transistors until launch time, so program went on with 50:50 chance to get Mars before Viking.

the first victim was Mars 4 it flight computer died slowly on way to Mars, made only fly by with 12 picture
the next was Mars 5 who enter it's planed orbit around Mars, but it losing pressure inside electronics bay. After 12 days the probe was death.
Mars 6 had total failure on communication electronic, but manage the mission automatically and drop his lander at Mars
Data received from the Lander, show it's violent sway on parachute during decent, on moment of landing on rough terrain, it went silent.
Mars 7 had failure on communication electronic and Probe electronics, it drop it lander 4 hours to early and miss mars by 1300 km

On Mars lander design
here the probe spin up before entering Mars atmosphere after 100 sec in atmosphere at 2G the Spin is stop and RCS is jettisoned
a pilot shute is deployed and timerprogram starts, at mach 3.5 pilt Shute is jettisoned and main parashute opened, then headshield is drop.
the probe decent with 65 meter/sec and Radar-system track for ground. At 30 meter over Mars ground the Parashute is jettisoned by a solid rocket.
then the probe fall down with 12 m/sec on to the ground.

So 03:33 was when it came? While I slept? Great.

Well, onto the update!

So Russia finally has some real successes to its name ITTL with regards to Mars? That's nice. And something they've never had IOTL with a 0% success rating.

However, IIRC, one the OTL Mars '69 attempts for them never even cleared the Launch Tower. With the Proton LV exploding due to a faulty engine - ironically, just a few months after Chelomei declared that Glushko's Hypergolic Engines were reliable and would never fail! Which cost them the entire Launch Window on account of having to wait for the rains to wash away the propellants and exhaust.

Here though, using the reliable portions of their far more successful Venera Probes. They've managed to secure some real successes and managed to get some all-Soviet imagery and studies performed.

And it would appear that the Seat Wars has had one more effect. The use of ESA Landing Probes on Soviet Orbiters and LVs if I read the update right. Some - if not most - inside the US won't be happy, but there may not be much that they can do about it.

On top of that, it would seem that the Political and Economic Pressure facing the USSR are about to do to this Soviet Space Agency what they did to OTL Soviet Space Agency. That is, screw it over in a big way.

Question is. How well can they recover from it?

Now, I'm expecting that the next update will cover the US portion of the Mars Exploration within the timeframe of Part II of ETS. Bring it! :D

EDIT: It's 100,021 Views as of time of Edit! Well Done E and Truth!! :D:D

Last edited:
on ESA collaboration on Soviet spaceflight
it's mostly French experiments who went in space, thanks to the french socialist government. :rolleyes:
like VEGA carry french ballon probe to Venus
they planned several Join-venture
like drop a Soviet Rover on mars and CNES big Ballon probe in year 1992/94
or CNES Vesta probe carry by Soviet mars probe. Released near Mars, Vesta makes a fly by in direction to the Asteroid

Sadly in 1991 the Soviet union collapsed

Great update!

So is Venus exploration pretty much as per OTL?

Was wondering whether the USSR would collapse on schedule. If you believe the theory that the West spent them into the ground, ramping up the space race isn't going to do them any favors, even if they are doing a better, more efficient job of it. The social pressure is also there. It does seem slightly less likely Reagan would be in a mood to talk ITTL, given his space rhetoric on top of everything else. But then his general tone IOTL was rabid enough that his dialogue with the Soviets seemed out of the blue; a little more rabidity might not make a difference.

One thing's for sure, the Russian Space Agency should be in much better shape ITTL, thanks to the streamlining efforts of the last two decades. Beyond that, a more capable ESA for them to partner with has got to be a big boost (no pun intended.) They've got wheels and Europe wants to go for a ride.

With all the changes in the USSR's space program, is the infrastructure still basically in the same place? Or at least within the same borders? Just wondering if any breakaway states might get an extra jolt ITTL, maybe be able to bring something meaningful to the ESA.

One thing's for sure, the Russian Space Agency should be in much better shape ITTL, thanks to the streamlining efforts of the last two decades. Beyond that, a more capable ESA for them to partner with has got to be a big boost (no pun intended.) They've got wheels and Europe wants to go for a ride.

Only in some regards. In others, it's going to be more troublesome. Two examples being where the Production Facilities are located, and the potentially higher operating costs of Vulkan and Mir. They may well be dependant on ESA and/or Commercial Launch Operations simply to stay afloat.

With all the changes in the USSR's space program, is the infrastructure still basically in the same place? Or at least within the same borders? Just wondering if any breakaway states might get an extra jolt ITTL, maybe be able to bring something meaningful to the ESA.

I'd guess that the infrastructure will be mostly alike to IOTL - with obvious exceptions. That means that the Baikonur Cosmodrone will be in Foreign Soil Post USSR Breakup. As will a lot of the Vulkan Production Facilities if Brezhnev got his way. This, more than anything else, is going to cause some, issues.

I could be off-base here, but isn't this the case IOTL? Only difference now is they have a better product/service to offer and more ambitious customers.

That may be, but it all depends on where the Vulkan is made. IOTL, Zenit isn't seen as that great an option by Russia on account of it being made in Ukraine. Energia-M was rejected on similar grounds as a Proton replacement by way of its Zenit Boosters.

But were entering Part III of ETS here. And we're still less than half-way through Part II IIRC.

on ESA collaboration on Soviet spaceflight
it's mostly French experiments who went in space, thanks to the french socialist government. :rolleyes:
like VEGA carry french ballon probe to Venus
they planned several Join-venture
like drop a Soviet Rover on mars and CNES big Ballon probe in year 1992/94
or CNES Vesta probe carry by Soviet mars probe. Released near Mars, Vesta makes a fly by in direction to the Asteroid

Sadly in 1991 the Soviet union collapsed

Be fair--ze Germans partnered too (they supplied instruments fpr afew Soviet probes)

You shall see onVenus...

(sorry for the typos, the kindle browser is a bit of a pin)

Archibald

Banned
Be fair--ze Germans partnered too (they supplied instruments fpr afew Soviet probes)

You shall see onVenus...

(sorry for the typos, the kindle browser is a bit of a pin)

it's mostly French experiments who went in space, thanks to the french socialist government

In fact it all started with De Gaulle visit to USSR, in 1966. But the socilaists certainly appreciated the gift 15 years later.

Part II: Post 9: US Mission to Mars: Pioneer Mars, Mars Reconnaissance Pioneer, and the Mars Traverse Rovers
So, this week we once again turn our sights to the Red Planet, this time a little less Red in our focus, to look in detail at American exploration of Mars, with Pioneer Mars, the Mars Reconnaissance Pioneer, and the Mars Traverse Rovers. This one goes a bit further into the future of the TL than most of our updates have, so I may be limited in what clarification I can provide without spoiling other aspects of the timeline.

Eyes Turned Skyward, Part II: Post #9

Although the Soviets were the most active in exploring Mars, the American space program had certainly not abandoned the planet. Even after the disappointing biological results of Viking, there were still many interesting geological, meteorological, climatological, and geophysical questions that could be asked about the terrestrial planets, and Mars remained in many ways the ideal planet (aside from Earth) to study those questions. After all, it lacked the hellish surface conditions or opaque atmosphere of Venus, and was far easier to reach than Mercury. Therefore, even as the Viking probes were touching down at Tritonis Lacus and Utopia Planitia, and the orbiters were settling into their routine, NASA was planning further missions. Among the leading candidates for launch at the next feasible opportunity was the so-called "Viking '79" mission. This would recycle much of the hardware designed and built for Viking, particularly remaining flight spares on Earth, to perform an even more ambitious mission such as delivering the first rovers to another planet or following up the hoped-for discovery of life at one or the other Viking sites. Even further in the future, Viking hardware derivatives might be used to conduct increasingly ambitious missions, leading up to a sample return in the late 1980s or early 1990s. However, with the non-discovery of life at the Viking 1 and 2 landing sites the public lost interest in expensive Viking-class missions, and the idea of a Viking '79--or a Viking '81, or a Viking '84--receded farther and farther into the distance. The final blow was dealt by Voyager-Uranus, whose approval came at just the moment that funding for a Viking '79 mission needed to start. Combined with the subsequent approval of the Galileo Jupiter orbiter and then the Kirchoff Halley flyby/comet rendezvous probe, it was obvious that another mission of the size and complexity of Viking could not be flown until perhaps the late 1980s.

Into the breach stepped the Ames Research Center. Like the Jet Propulsion Laboratory long involved in planetary exploration, Ames had previously proposed to use a derivative of their Pioneer Venus orbiter design to study Mars, mostly focusing on aeronomy--the study of the upper atmosphere--and spectroscopic imaging of the surface. Now these proposals were revived as a low-cost method to continue NASA's study of Mars. Such an orbiter would be cheap, perhaps $100-150 million, and could explore many interesting questions left unanswered by Viking. Approval of the "Pioneer Mars" mission was relatively speedy, although a planned second orbiter carrying penetrators, hard landing probes which could conduct a number of surface studies, was dropped due to cost and schedule concerns. The Pioneer Mars orbiter, unlike its Cytherean counterpart, would be a lone traveler to Mars. While it was a secondary priority at Ames during the preparation of its Cytherean siblings, once they launched in 1978 preparations stepped into high gear, and Pioneer Mars was launched by an Atlas-Centaur in 1979 for its date with the Red Planet. Once it reached Mars, it settled into a highly elliptical orbit, dipping down to just one hundred kilometers off the surface before popping back up to over thirty thousand kilometers altitude. Such an elongated orbit allowed it to skim the atmosphere relatively deeply, allowing measurements of its properties which would otherwise be impossible. At the same time, it allowed the spectroscopes carried by the probe to observe the planet from a close vantage point, giving them a better view of the planet than had heretofore been achieved. After an Earth year of this atmosphere-surfing, during which the probe burned a great deal of propellant and suffered significant changes to its orbit, Pioneer Mars executed a long burn to bring it to a higher Martian orbit, where it would not reenter until long after any microbes that might have survived the sterilization process it had undergone would die of old age and starvation. Even from this vantage point, though, it could continue to perform useful scientific observations, and so it did until finally running out of propellant and becoming uncontrollable in the late 1980s, a few years before its older sibling at Venus. After Pioneer Mars, there was a long gap in American Mars exploration. While the Vikings continued to operate for a few more years, and Pioneer Mars kept faithfully sending data, the focus had turned towards other bodies, away from the Red Planet. But Mars would not be so easily and quietly abandoned, and the faint echo of his war that sounded from the challenger of Vulkan rekindled NASA's interest in the planet. After the Vulkan launch, anything the Soviets did in space seemed threatening, and the dispatch of two probes in 1983 to Mars was no exception. Shortly after they arrived in early 1984, President Reagan proposed to add a pair of new missions, the Mars Reconnaissance Pioneer from Ames and the Mars Traverse Rovers from JPL to the list of scheduled American planetary missions, for launch in perhaps 1990. Congress approved the missions without debate when they came up for consideration, and the next pair of American Mars missions began to roll forward.

The first, the Mars Reconnaissance Pioneer, was in many ways the more straightforward of the pair. Designed to further the studies of the Viking orbiters and Pioneer Mars, MRP would conduct in-depth studies of the Martian atmosphere and weather systems for an entire Martian year, hopefully improving Earth's knowledge of Martian seasonality. Additionally, it would carry a suite of spectrometers to further refine the compositional data provided by the Pioneer Mars and Mars 9 missions, and a laser altimeter to refine height estimates provided by the radar altimeter aboard Pioneer Mars. The cameras intended to map weather features could also be used to obtain medium to high resolution imagery of planetary surface, giving the MRP a broad range of scientific objectives. Development proceeded smoothly; in truth, so far as any planetary exploration development program can be simple and straightforward, this was it. Many of the instruments that would be flown by the MRP had been pioneered by earlier planetary flights, or by Earth orbital missions, and could be had virtually off the shelf. While accommodations would need to be made for the unique target and environmental conditions, adapting existing instrument designs was still cheaper and easier than building them from scratch. Thus, the MRP proceeded to its 1990 launch date with little trouble, riding a Delta 4000 into orbit and then on to Mars. When it reached Mars, it undertook a completely novel technique to reach its planned low-altitude circular mapping orbit (itself a departure from the norm for most previous planetary missions). Rather than use its on-board rocket to perform a series of burns to circularize its orbit, the MRP would instead make a series of very low passes through the atmosphere, just over the 100 kilometers of Mars Pioneer. This would slowly drain energy from the probe and lower its maximum orbital altitude, saving hundreds of kilograms of propellant that would otherwise be needed. The extremely well-characterized nature of Mars' upper atmosphere, and Pioneer Mars' own inadvertent demonstration of the technique, was a key factor behind the approval by NASA administration of the otherwise risky aerobraking maneuver. After months of these low passes, the MRP finally settled into its final mapping orbit, beginning its intensive scientific investigation of the planet. Over months, then years of work, the MRP slowly built on, and occasionally demolished, the view of Mars that had been created by previous mission to the planet. In addition to a vast array of high-resolution imagery, the MRP also produced a highly detailed global spectroscopic map, a topographic map surpassing that of any other planet in the Solar System, and produced the first view of the entire yearly weather cycle of a planet besides Earth.

The Mars Traverse Rovers were altogether the more ambitious of the two responses to the Soviet Mars challenge. The surface counterpart to the MRP's orbiter, the mission would deliver, as the name indicates, a pair of rovers designed by JPL to the surface of Mars for a long-duration (perhaps one Earth year long) traverse of the Martian surface in conjunction with each other. Besides the obvious scientific returns that could be had by having a mobile imaging and scientific platform, the rovers would also serve as an engineering test for larger and more complex rovers, which could either serve as useful mobile platforms in their own right or be used to undertake the Holy Grail of Mars science, the Mars Sample Return mission both NASA and the Soviets had been chasing for many years. More complex and novel than the MRP, the Mars Traverse Rovers were plagued with issues from the start of the program. Even the question of how they would be propelled--wheels, tank-treads, or a complex multi-legged walking system were all serious contenders--was not resolved until a year into the project, with the simple and proven wheels coming out on top. While the original proposal used a heavily-modified Viking lander as essentially a sort of mothership for the pair of rovers, complete with its own suite of scientific instruments, constant weight and cost growth forced the capabilities of the lander to shrink in tandem, until it was little more than a delivery platform. Already, the problems encountered in designing rovers of this size and capability to operate in an alien environment, with no experience at JPL to temper the design process, had led to the launch date slipping to 1992 from the original estimate of 1990. The program continued in much the same vein right up to its launch date, constantly encountering problems and constantly finding a way around them, although in the process the launch slipped again, now to 1994. Finally the launch window arrived, and the rovers, tucked safely under their lander, itself encased inside an aeroshell for direct Mars entry, were dispatched on their way by another Delta 4000.

Targeted at the mouth of Ares Vallis, a vast water-carved channel on Mars that had long been fingered as an interesting site for Mars exploration, the Mars Traverse Rovers--now named Independence and Liberty from an elementary-school essay contest organized by the increasingly PR-conscious NASA--reached Mars in September 1995. After an anxious descent through the Martian atmosphere, the two rovers touched down safely only a dozen kilometers off target, with preparations for deployment starting almost immediately after touchdown. While the deployment of Independence proceeded smoothly, that of Liberty failed during the last step--lowering the rover to the surface of Mars from its resting place underneath the lander. Inspection by Independence showed that a locking pin, supposed to be removed prior to launch, had accidentally been left in place, preventing the rover's release. Several attempts to use Independence to remove the pin failed, and it was eventually decided to abandon Liberty in place, converting it to a "stationary scientific platform" with those instruments that could be productively used while the rover was hanging under the lander bus powered on. Meanwhile, Independence would continue with the primary mission, an attempt to make its way up Ares Vallis while studying the geological properties of the soil and rocks along its path. So thorough were JPL scientists in doing so, in fact, that a month after departing Independence could still view its lander on the horizon, having taken the time to inspect not only a large number of rocks but also a series of trenches dug by its own wheels in the Martian soil during its slow and meandering journey. This pattern of slow but scientifically productive movement continued for years as the rover made its way around the mouth of Ares Vallis, usually moving during the day and collecting spectroscopic and soil properties data at night, when optical navigation was impossible. Liberty continued to return barometric and temperature data from the landing site, although its own cameras were largely unusable and its other instruments hung uselessly far from the soil and rocks they were meant to investigate.

Independence was only finally done in by its wheel motors; while the RTG power source could potentially provide power for decades, as with the Voyagers and Pioneers venturing out into interstellar space, other components were not so durable. First, some 23 months after landing, nearly a whole Martian year, the motor on the right rear wheel failed. While easy enough to work around, as the remaining wheels had more than enough power to continue moving the vehicle--indeed, the slight increase in available power compensated the slight decrease from the RTG so far experienced--it was nevertheless a herald of things to come. Almost three years after that, another wheel failed, this time the left center. The resulting asymmetry made the rover difficult to control, slowing its movement to almost zero as controllers laboriously repositioned it after each short traverse. The rover's will to continue must have left it at this point, for only six months later a final wheel motor--the one on the left rear wheel--stopped operating. With three wheel motors out of commission, the rover could no longer move, and like its sibling before it would live out its days as a stationary scientific platform, albeit capable of inspecting not only the weather but also the rocks and soil around it. As with Liberty, this continued until demands on the Deep Space Network from a new generation of probes forced NASA to shut down some of the less productive older vehicles still operational. While a difficult decision to make, both Independence and Liberty were commanded to power down in October 2003. Perhaps some future expedition, whether by robots or humans, will find the vehicles and be able to power them back on; their RTGs will continue providing usable amounts of energy into the 2020s. However, despite their early demise, the rovers were spectacularly successful, returning even more scientific data than the Vikings, and from a much more diverse area.