European Balkanization - VT-BAM Edition

vtbalkaniwip.png

I'm currently working on a long-term project creating a VT-BAM map of Europe with ahistoric maximum balkanization.
The idea is to find the ideal aesthetic balkanization of Europe. Not only by adding the maximum amount of countries but also with internal divisions, vassal and puppet states.

Feel free to suggest additional countries, administrative divisions or principalities. Or feel free to suggest changes which make the map more aesthetic. And feel free to alter and use these maps if you want to make your own VT-BAM maps.

badalsace2.png

I'm planning to add a series of detailed looks on various fractured countries with several thematic maps.

View attachment 816516

I'm currently working on a long-term project creating a VT-BAM map of Europe with ahistoric maximum balkanization.
The idea is to find the ideal aesthetic balkanization of Europe. Not only by adding the maximum amount of countries but also with internal divisions, vassal and puppet states.

Feel free to suggest additional countries, administrative divisions or principalities. Or feel free to suggest changes which make the map more aesthetic. And feel free to alter and use these maps if you want to make your own VT-BAM maps.

View attachment 816517

I'm planning to add a series of detailed looks on various fractured countries with several thematic maps.
Not suicidal enough to fracture Montenegro by tribe or by Nahija I see

Not suicidal enough to fracture Montenegro by tribe or by Nahija I see
Interesting. I don't know much about Montenegro. Are there good maps for tribes or "Nahija"s? What is a Nahija? Maybe I could add them as subdivisions or autonomous areas.
Further ideas to balkanize the Balkans are welcome!

Are you sure you have enough Free Cities?
Certainly not enough yet. However most Free Cities are only depicted as autonomous areas or vassal states. Feel free to suggest new ones.
Or feel free to suggest potential Free Cities in countries which in OTL never had any free cities.
Any suggestions?

Certainly not enough yet. However most Free Cities are only depicted as autonomous areas or vassal states. Feel free to suggest new ones.
Or feel free to suggest potential Free Cities in countries which in OTL never had any free cities.
Any suggestions?
Carve up northern Italy into a bazillion free cities. The Lombard League should give you some suggestions.

Interesting. I don't know much about Montenegro. Are there good maps for tribes or "Nahija"s? What is a Nahija? Maybe I could add them as subdivisions or autonomous areas.
Further ideas to balkanize the Balkans are welcome!

A Nahija is like a province, I think the word comes from Turkish. Basically a small tribal confederation (or a single tribe/clan not associated with any Nahija) within the wider tribal confederation that was early modern Montenegro.

Now the Nahije only exist im the Montenegrin context as regions of Old Montenegro (modern Cetinje municipality which you show as a subdivision on your map) which had 4, Katunska Nahija, Lješanski Nahija, Riječka Nahija, and Crmnička Nahija.

The term was also apparently used in Serbia where a Nahija was a group of villages administered by an Obor-Knez (high Chief I guess though the title Knez has historically meant Prince, it got downgraded to like mayor/chief of a village & an Obor-Knez is just a bigger Knez & the title is exclusive to the late Ottoman period to my knowledge). But anyway Serbia also used Nahije just without the tribal/clan system, they were basically just taxation districts.

Further Update for my balkanization map.
(Northern Ireland, some parts of Iberia, Schleswig-Holstein, the Balkans, Poland and the Baltics )

Additional I added my work-in-progress QBAM for areas outside of Europe. Sadly I lack the knowledge to have the same level of balkanization on other continents.

Sadly the full image is too large for the forum, therefore I split it.
Feel free to ask questions. If you are specially interested in a region, I can add a regional map with explanations of the different countries and vassal states and their backgrounds.
Feel free to add additional suggestions!

balcvtbam3a.png

balcvtbam3b.png

qbamtraditiobalcani1.png

English Heptarchy? Or the 39 historical counties, or some combination?
And all of Scotland ruled by various clan lords with nebulous and porous borders, and mostly acknowledging no overlords at all.

English Heptarchy? Or the 39 historical counties, or some combination?
And all of Scotland ruled by various clan lords with nebulous and porous borders, and mostly acknowledging no overlords at all.
I guess I will use the historical counties to create some sort of "Holy Roman Empire" version of England.
Additionally I need to find out, which cities could become some sort of free cities, and which bishoprics might rule their own territory.
The Heptarchy is too much associated with the Dark Ages and Early Middle Ages I guess. I want a map that looks a little bit more modern.
Your idea of Scotland is good, but I haven't started much work or research on it yet. I guess I need to find good maps of Scottish Clans and traditional counties ...

Why not restore the County of Urgell?
I can add it if I find a good map.
Should this county be an administrative division of Catalonia or some sort of Vassal?

I guess I will use the historical counties to create some sort of "Holy Roman Empire" version of England.
Additionally I need to find out, which cities could become some sort of free cities, and which bishoprics might rule their own territory.
The Heptarchy is too much associated with the Dark Ages and Early Middle Ages I guess. I want a map that looks a little bit more modern.
Your idea of Scotland is good, but I haven't started much work or research on it yet. I guess I need to find good maps of Scottish Clans and traditional counties ...

I can add it if I find a good map.
Should this county be an administrative division of Catalonia or some sort of Vassal?
Vassal.

Further Update for my balkanization map.
(Northern Ireland, some parts of Iberia, Schleswig-Holstein, the Balkans, Poland and the Baltics )

Additional I added my work-in-progress QBAM for areas outside of Europe. Sadly I lack the knowledge to have the same level of balkanization on other continents.

Sadly the full image is too large for the forum, therefore I split it.
Feel free to ask questions. If you are specially interested in a region, I can add a regional map with explanations of the different countries and vassal states and their backgrounds.
Feel free to add additional suggestions!

View attachment 820467
View attachment 820468

View attachment 820469

GOOD GOD.
Herzegovina is gonna be a mess assuming its anything like modern OTL.

West Herzegovina is is home to the most extreme Croatian right wingers on earth. Like you will not find in Croatia a Croat nationalist as extreme as a Hercegovac and that’s a fact. East Herzegovina is all Serbs, and east bank Mostar, Jablanica, what we can call “central Herzegovina” is majority Bosniak and will want to rejoin Bosnia (the 44% of west Stolac’s population that are Bosniaks might be similarly inclined). While Herzegovina isn’t as much of a breeding ground for Serb and Bosniak nationalism, it’s hardly as if they’re friendly with the other groups. I don’t want to get into specific events and experiences from my own family which comes from the area where the 3 ethnic regions in Herzegovina meet because I don’t wanna go to chat but if there was still a WWII and especially if there was something like the Yugoslav wars, this Herzegovina can survive but only with strong foreign backing.

ALSO, I will note that an economic region of Herzegovina was planned to include the southern, Croat-majority half of Canton 10/Herceg-Bosna Canton (but bot the sparsely populated Serb majority northern half).

I would say that if you want maximum balkanization, an ethnic partition of Bosnia makes far more sense than a Bosnia-Hercegovina split (although this is far more aesthetically pleasing on a map). You get easy Republika Srpska, Bosnia, and the Croatian Republic of Herceg-Bosna, plus the Bosniak Bihać Pocket/Unsko-Sanski Canton would be a Bosniak exclave that may need some degree of self governance & if you wanna make it REALLY messy you can do something with the Brčko district.

County Armagh, a triumvirate ruled by an executive council composed of:
A) the (Anglican) Bishop of Armagh, who answers to the King of England in his role as head of the Anglican Church;
B) the (Catholic) Bishop of Ard Mhacha;
C) the local secular lord, the Earl of Armagh (?? King of Airgíalla/Northern Uí Néill?)
The presidency of the council rotates amongst its members; thus, County Armagh is often considered a vassal of England when the Bishop of Armagh presides.

Duchy of York (Yorkshire)
* Federal entity consisting of three Ridings (East, West, North; co-equal with counties) and the Episcopal City of York.

Free Cities:
City of London
Canterbury
Oxford
Cambridge

Here is the Iberia update

Countries of Iberia:

Kingdom of Andalusia and Granada (including Ceuta and Melilla)

Kingdom of Portugal
- Grand Duchy of the Algarve (nominal Vassal of Portugal but very independent)
- Grand Duchy of Porto (nominal Vassal of Portugal but very independent)

Kingdom of Galicia

United Kingdom of Castille: consisting of the 5 Kingdoms of Asturia, Leon, Old-Castille, New-Castille and Murcia; the City of Madrid, the Duchy of Cantabria and Extremadura (territory under the administration of the Orders of Calavatra and Santiago)

Kingdom of Navarra: the Basque Provinces and La Rioja as Vassals and Bayonne as a Free City; in Personal Union with the Principality of Bearn

Kingdom of Aragorn: Valle de Aran, Andorra, the Baleares and Katalonia are Vassals. Catalonia has several smaller counties as autonomous Vassals including the County of Urgell

Free Port of Gibraltar (maybe I add either England or Venice or Genoa as their protector? later)
Couto Misto (microstate between North-Portugal and Galicia)
------
The Rif Repulic
The International City of Tanger

balciberia2.png

Also I spent some time mapping the official state religions and religious majorities in Germany and neighboring countries. (outlines in a different color show the religion of the monarch while another religion is the accepted state religion.
Unusual notheworthy details to overlook: I added some Anabaptists to Münster and some followers of Antroprosophy to Dornach in Switzerland
balccentreuroreli.png

Thank you for all your responses and suggestions! Feel free to comment!

Why not restore the County of Urgell?
see the Iberia Update
I see that you have Lorraine, but not the tiny enclave bishoprics.
I haven't spent much time on Lorraine. Here is one of my source maps for the area. Which bishoprics do you suggest I should add?
I should rework the region later.

lothringen.gif

Nice! However I won't balkanize Iberia and Scandinavia to the same degree as you did. Also I should create a similar small color scheme to create a map showing the different systems of government and titles of nobility.

GOOD GOD.
Herzegovina is gonna be a mess assuming its anything like modern OTL.

West Herzegovina is is home to the most extreme Croatian right wingers on earth. Like you will not find in Croatia a Croat nationalist as extreme as a Hercegovac and that’s a fact. East Herzegovina is all Serbs, and east bank Mostar, Jablanica, what we can call “central Herzegovina” is majority Bosniak and will want to rejoin Bosnia (the 44% of west Stolac’s population that are Bosniaks might be similarly inclined). While Herzegovina isn’t as much of a breeding ground for Serb and Bosniak nationalism, it’s hardly as if they’re friendly with the other groups. I don’t want to get into specific events and experiences from my own family which comes from the area where the 3 ethnic regions in Herzegovina meet because I don’t wanna go to chat but if there was still a WWII and especially if there was something like the Yugoslav wars, this Herzegovina can survive but only with strong foreign backing.

ALSO, I will note that an economic region of Herzegovina was planned to include the southern, Croat-majority half of Canton 10/Herceg-Bosna Canton (but bot the sparsely populated Serb majority northern half).

I would say that if you want maximum balkanization, an ethnic partition of Bosnia makes far more sense than a Bosnia-Hercegovina split (although this is far more aesthetically pleasing on a map). You get easy Republika Srpska, Bosnia, and the Croatian Republic of Herceg-Bosna, plus the Bosniak Bihać Pocket/Unsko-Sanski Canton would be a Bosniak exclave that may need some degree of self governance & if you wanna make it REALLY messy you can do something with the Brčko district.
Sad to hear, that your family had bad experiences with ethnic violence ...
I'm very unsure about finding the perfect aesthetic balkanization of Bosnia-Herzegovina.

I prefer to use pre-world-wars demographics. So while this map has no clear date or timeline, I prefer to use demographics from around 1900 or 1910.
In this balkanization-universe nationalism and national identities are in many areas and regions replaced by strong local patriotism and regional identities and traditional and anachronistic forms of government.

Maybe I should create several variants for Bosnia-Herzegovina and see which looks the most aesthetic while still remaining semi-plausible.

County Armagh, a triumvirate ruled by an executive council composed of:
A) the (Anglican) Bishop of Armagh, who answers to the King of England in his role as head of the Anglican Church;
B) the (Catholic) Bishop of Ard Mhacha;
C) the local secular lord, the Earl of Armagh (?? King of Airgíalla/Northern Uí Néill?)
The presidency of the council rotates amongst its members; thus, County Armagh is often considered a vassal of England when the Bishop of Armagh presides.

Duchy of York (Yorkshire)
* Federal entity consisting of three Ridings (East, West, North; co-equal with counties) and the Episcopal City of York.

Free Cities:
City of London
Canterbury
Oxford
Cambridge
Good Ideas. I guess the City of Westminister should be independent from London. oxford and Cambridge could become university ruled cities.
Certainly both Canterbury and York need some form of theocracy.
I guess I want several strong duchies with varying degrees of autonomy in combination with various independent towns and smaller entities.

Thank you! I will add them when I work on France. I also need to improve and rework the Palatinate.
I was a little bit inactive and not as much in the mod for map-making. So there are no big updates for France or Britain.

However here is a info-graphic for Thuringia in my balkanization scenario

thuringiaexplained.png

And here is my work-in-progress idea collection for the Middle East and the Caucasus
vtmenawip1.png

vtmenawip2.png

As always feel free to comment or suggest improvements and additional countries, regions and principalities.

@Crazy Boris and @DPKdebator , I need your help and feedback developing a new color scheme to depict the ranks of nobility of various territories. Are here any government ranks and titles missing? Is the choice of colors reasonable or needs some adjustment?
I want to make a map on which people can see with a single look which rank each territory has. Higher ranks should be darker than lower ranks. Ecclesiastic Territories should be easily distinguishable from Aristocratic and Republican territories.

rankstest.png