Engineering A Planet

I've got to say, this is even more surprising then whatever information you'd given me before. Moist is nice, but not in the quantities I've apparently caused. :eek:

I'll be guessing that this, in some aspects while not all, renders Gorm's map obsolete.

Out of curiosity, are you using just the ranges map, the elevation map, or a combination of both to come to these conclusions?

I've recently discovered taking parts of the map of my fictional world, putting them in different files, and then blowing them up immensely to make detail.

So far I'm making some progress, working on it one bit at a time. Below is one part of the world. The big black line is (part of) a fault line (where the two plates are pulling apart). Red lines show areas below sea level. Brown line shows mountains. Dotted line indicates generally higher elevations. White lines are rivers.

Romania is just there to give you (and me) an effective size comparison.

And the names are temporary until I can construct the native languages.

Oh yes, and the blue line is the equator (or where it is, roughly). But, given the planet's climate, the tropics aren't really that...tropical. It isn't set in stone yet, but I imagine the tropics being more like Seattle and less like Venezuela.

progress.jpg

progress.jpg

Bump.

Would someone be willing to help me out with this planet? :) I'm looking for possible rivers, mountain ranges, climates and currents. I have a couple ideas of where a few mountain ranges should be, but anything other than that is over my head.

The map:

Titus_Blankmap.png

VT45

Banned
Hey Azardin. Maybe you could help me out a bit. I'm working on an FHTL where the poles have melted and New England (now an island) is 7 degrees centigrade warmer than it is now. I assume that it's also significantly wetter, but would you be able to help me out with some more of the specifics? The sea level is also 110 meters higher than today.

Aireacht1.png

Last edited:
Oh yes, and the blue line is the equator (or where it is, roughly). But, given the planet's climate, the tropics aren't really that...tropical. It isn't set in stone yet, but I imagine the tropics being more like Seattle and less like Venezuela.

In which case literally half the planet would likely be covered in glaciers.

In which case literally half the planet would likely be covered in glaciers.

Yeah, I haven't really figured out the climate too well. I plan on, for one thing, tundra starting to show up slightly above the mid-latitudes.

a small fantasy map I created a while ago

The Riudë Archipelago

EDIT - I now see that I forgot a dot on the map marking Iolpec... Anyway, I'm too lazy to fix. :eek:

Riudë Archipelago.png

I'm not sure if this thread is still active, but could someone please help me with this?

I've got three maps of the same world here, which isn't yet complete; I still have a bit of the tectonics to work out, and then islands to plot. The first map shows simply the topography of the world, and I'd like to request, if it isn't too much trouble, some advice on how the climate would work. The weakest brown colour shows general uland ares, the stronger brown colour significant mountain ranges or extrmely elevated areas, and the strongest brown colour extremely tall mountains; greater than 5000m or so.

The second and third maps shows, respectively, plate boundaries and movements and the possible locations of island chains. For the second map, I'd like to know if, in general, my plate boundaries look reasonable, and if the movements are the same. It should be noted that the boundary in the far southeastern continent has only just formed; imagine the East African Rift in a few million years.

As for the bit in the Northeast, that takes some explaining. A lot of maps I've seen of the period from 250-150 mya show pieces of land detaching themselves from Gondwana and drifting north across the Tethys to collide with the Siberian plate, forming modern day China, Kazakhstan and Iran, among others. I was trying to get something similar to appear to be occurring, but I don't know how to draw it in plate boundary terms. Could anyone help me?

Finally, I'd like to see if my proposed spots for islands, either from oceanic subduction or from hotspots, look any good.

topo1.png

tecton1.png

possisl1.png

I'm not sure if this thread is still active, but could someone please help me with this?

Finally, I'd like to see if my proposed spots for islands, either from oceanic subduction or from hotspots, look any good.

I'm not good with geology, so all I can say is that your island placement is very reasonable, logical and I think they look good. I wished I could help more... sorry.

I have a world that was within the last century been almost completely terraformed, it is mostly not covered with water except for some lakes and large craters from earlier in the planets history, could anybody help with developing an idea of this world's climate?

Alien World-jpg-1.gif

I was wondering, does anyone else use GIMP to make makes like these? I tried for a while but was wondering if anyone had any tips for east-west symmetry so that I don't have to worry about places that look like two mismatched islands or peninsulas?

The Tectonic map of the Continent of Ryska. (This is a ~Q-Bam scale.)

Black - Plate Boundaries
White - Direction of Plate Movement
Yellow - Volcanic Activity
Blue - Rift/Trench
Purple - Cool Wind
Orange - Warm Current

Ryska.png

Okay, so I managed to use the fractal cloud thing on GIMP to create landmasses that I kind of like. Next step is creating water currents and such to figure out the climate. Any advise on where currents should be and what the climate would be like in different areas?

Alien Map 1.3.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 67076

Can anyone help me with the ecological changes that would be occurring in a situation like this?

attachment.php

Very Large Worldmap.png

Last edited by a moderator: