Election 2000-Gore Fights Back-Collaborative TL

March 29, 1999-Gore sits down for an interview with Time magazine. "I think what matters most is protecting our prosperity. Our policies have turned around the fate of this country, and it would be a mistake to give in and alter that. But it's also incomplete. We need to work harder to ensure things like middle-class tax relief and prescription drugs for seniors come to pass, in addition to protecting the solvency of Social Security."

March 29, 1999-Gore sits down for an interview with Time magazine. "I think what matters most is protecting our prosperity. Our policies have turned around the fate of this country, and it would be a mistake to give in and alter that. But it's also incomplete. We need to work harder to ensure things like middle-class tax relief and prescription drugs for seniors come to pass, in addition to protecting the solvency of Social Security."

March 30, 1999 - Gore has been seen chatting with potential running mates:
- Massachusetts Senator John Kerry
- Delaware Senator and Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee Joe Biden
- California Senator Dianne Feinstein
- Former Texas Governor Ann Richards
- Vermont Governor Howard Dean
- West Virginia Senator Jay Rockefeller

April 2, 1999-Gore also has a talk with Florida Senator Bob Graham for a potential running mate. The vice president now has plenty of worthy picks to choose from. Meanwhile, Senator Bill Bradley is making waves by mulling a presidential bid as well.

April 20, 1999-Gore joins President Clinton in addressing the nation hours after Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado is overrun by Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, killing twelve students and a teacher, and wounding twenty-five others before committing suicide. Gore joins his boss in calling for closing the gun show loophole and shoring up the Brady Law and assault weapons ban.

April 22, 1999-Bradley announces that despite rumors swirling, he has decided not to run for president, and will fully support Vice President Gore. In the meantime, Gore and his aides are working out the finer details of press access.

Hunter W.

Banned
November 27, 1999: After a hard fought campaign Jenny Shipley wins the New Zealand general election, defeating the incumbent Prime Minister Mike Moore, after numerous meetings with Winston Peters, NZ First leader. She reaches an agreement with him in major policy areas such as immigration, and spending. The Labour Party had governed since 1993.

December 10, 1999: Upon being sworn in by the Governor-general the National government sets out it's basic agenda for the next three years. This includes tax cuts, review of immigration numbers, fiscal discipline. Shipley, once the leader of the right-wing of the National Party moves the party to the centre re-branding the party as "Liberal conservative", and promises not to slash spending as the "Books are balanced."

December 18, 1999: Treasurer Winston Peters and Finance Minister Bill English reveal their economic program in their co-operative mini budget, with generous increases of funding for education and tourism.

Last edited:
December 30, 1999-A Swedish man, Michael Abram, is arrested outside of George Harrison's estate Friar Park, armed with a knife. Abram had been on his way to kill Harrison, claiming that he was a servant of the Devil, infiltrating his thoughts.

January 3, 2000-Gore selects Senator John Kerry as his running mate, noting his strong record of liberalism and appeal to New England voters.

Hunter W.

Banned
January 17, 2000: As par the agreement with Deputy Prime Minister Winston Peters student loans are to be overhauled.

May 6, 2000: British para detachments evacuate all British nationals from Lungi airport, Sierra Leone.

May 7, 2000: As part of his liberal interventionism Tony Blair dispatches additional British ground, sea, air units to assist government forces. This is complemented by the deployment of HMS Invincible.

Also, can we add pictures?

(Sorry, but I'm unskilled with Photoshop and manipulating things to fit the new TL)

January-June 2000: Gore's campaign makes sure to hammer Governor Bush for his record of mediocrity in his entire life, and his dependency on coasting on his family name, while making sure not to impugn him as a bad man, personally. The pressure is held on throughout the campaign leading up to the conventions.

(The following is a reprint of material I used in Cobain Continues, slightly rejiggered)

October 3, 2000-The first presidential debate occurs at the University of Massachusetts in Boston. Vice President Gore is almost unanimously declared the winner. While not quite as stirring and impassioned as his campaign speeches, Gore gives many notable statements, particularly on the matters of healthcare reform, rebutting Governor Bush's economic points, and the recent election in Serbia to remove Slobodan Milosevic out of power, dismissing a desire to have newly-installed Russian President Vladimir Putin mediate the conflict. "The governor's instincts aren't bad, and we should work on a new period of cooperation and peace. But we know nothing much about this man Putin, who he is, what he stands for, or what vision he has for Russia." Gore makes sure to stress when he agrees with Governor Bush, and commends him for his handling of wildfires and floods that plagued Texas over the summer. Governor Bush is faulted by press for his shaky handle of the money for his policies, repeating the phrases "phony numbers" and "fuzzy math" over and over without explaining them, and for his increasing usage of sarcasm during the debate.

October 5, 2000-The vice presidential debate occurs at Centre College in Danville, Kentucky. Dick Cheney faces off against Vice President Gore's nominee, Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts. The debate is essentially a draw, and many refer to it as a "snoozefest."

October 11, 2000-The second presidential debate is held at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The debate focuses on foreign policy and hate crimes. Governor Bush asserts that he will be more measured in diplomacy than his opponent, and states of Vladimir Putin that "I looked into his soul, and I saw a man that I can trust." Gore hammers back, stressing again that not much is known of Putin other than his past as a KGB colonel, and that Boris Yeltsin, for all his faults, was essentially driven out in a coup. "For all we know, Mr. Putin could want nothing more than to rebuild the Soviet Union. We must be guarded in dealing with him." Gore finds his strength in castigating Bush for handling the murder of James E. Byrd, Jr., and not allowing the killers to be charged with hate crimes, and also stresses the aftermath of the murder of Matthew Shepard in Laramie, Wyoming. Gore scores another win.

October 17, 2000-The final debate is at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri, in a town hall format. Vice President Gore somewhat falters a bit because he is not fully used to the town hall format, but is found to be in better command of his facts and have a far more appealing attitude as he answers questions. Governor Bush resorts to cheap shots to trip up his opponent by snorting derisively during Gore's responses, and vamping for the cameras. Gore, for his part, moves to stand right next to Bush to hover over him, which Bush hardly acknowledges. Bush attempts to right himself in his closing statement by resorting to his folksy humor persona by saying "if you want to vote for change, vote for me. If you don't, only vote once."

(When we reach Gore's presidency, the most realistic scenario we'll be using is a hybrid between the following two TLs: https://dandelionsalad.wordpress.co...idency-an-alternative-history-by-william-cox/ ; https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/decision-points-the-presidency-of-al-gore.259295/)

Last edited:
If you are using the William Cox timeline as part of your inspiration, I hope you tone it down a little. It struck me as a little too optimistic to be realistic.

I agree with that sentiment. I also thought decision points as being too pessimistic. So, the TL we're doing is a realistic meeting of the middle.

November 7, 2000-Gore wins the popular vote by over a million votes and a comfortable enough electoral college margin. Florida and New Hampshire go to Gore, and President Clinton's campaigning in Arkansas wins that state as well.

Office Holders suggestion:
- Joe Biden or George J. Mitchell as Secretary of state
- Ann Richards or Robert Rubin as Secretary of Treasury
- Anthony Zinni or Sam Nunn as Secretary of Defence

Last edited:
January 20, 2001-Al Gore is inaugurated as the 43rd President of the United States. Immediately, Gore hits the ground running with nominations, with Senator Joseph Biden as Secretary of State, Robert Rubin as Treasury Secretary, and Sam Nunn as Secretary of Defense. In addition, Gore immediately brings the Kyoto Protocol up for ratification, and begins work on his education reform and tax relief plans, even as rumblings emerge of a coming recession due to the dot-com boom collapsing. Gore also begins receiving regular briefings concerning Osama bin Laden, and plans to strike the U.S., though a plan has yet to emerge.