Election 2000-Gore Fights Back-Collaborative TL

That's what I'm going for. But I won't use the "extradited for the 1998 Embassy bombings" event William Cox used, as it's patently ridiculous. I'm open to ideas on how to avoid tragedy. Also, obviously not everything will come up roses for Gore, again I want it to be realistic, but not overly pessimistic.

February 15, 2001-President Gore sets out on his first foreign trip, a tour of Europe. While visiting various foreign dignitaries, Gore gives a message for the FBI and CIA to start sharing all counterterrorism intelligence with each other to pool their resources. As a result, messages from Italian intelligence concerning an al-Qaeda cell in America planning a major strike are now officially known by Gore and his entire cabinet. Meanwhile, the Kyoto Protocol is ratified, and Gore fulfills his pledge to put Medicare and Social Security in a lockbox, as well as raise the caps, which will ensure solvency for another century.

February 25, 2001-Gore faces his first real challenge in getting his education plan ratified. Republicans in Congress are not pleased with his plan, having preferred Governor Bush's so-called "No Child Left Behind" policy. Still facing a Republican-controlled Congress, Gore works to try and go to the mat and find any way to pass his plan, even if he has to compromise to do so.

March 1, 2001-A compromise version of Gore's education plan is put up for a vote. Gore gives up his focus on classroom size and spells out the methods of standardized testing, as well adopts Governor Bush's idea of making the test results available on the Internet. However, the House votes down the bill. Gore gives a press conference and states "I've never given up on anything in my life, and I'm not gonna give up on this. I'll keep working until I get it right." In the meantime, Gore's economic advisers inform him that there is a meltdown in the stock market, and a recession is clearly coming soon. This means that he is left with two options: either hold off on his middle-class tax relief plan until the market reverses itself, or pass a watered-down version.

August 16th, 2001: FBI agent Harry Samit goes ahead and searches Zacarias Moussaoui's laptop, whom he arrested for an immigration violation, without permission from his supervisors. Samit finds plans that detail an attack on the World Trade Center, The Capitol Building, and The Pentagon with airplanes. Samit is later demoted to desk work, but he is hailed a hero for stopping a terrorist attack.

February 18, 2001: Dale Earnhardt, Sr., narrowly survives a collision with Ken Schrader on the final lap of the Daytona 500, only suffering two broken legs.

March 8, 2001: Dale Earnhardt, Sr., is transferred from the hospital to a rehab center.

April 2, 2001: Dale Earnhardt, Sr., returns home after nearly a month in rehab.

July 20, 2003: Dale Earnhardt, Sr., announces his retirement from professional auto racing.

May 27, 2001-Senator Jim Jeffords defects from the Republican Party, and switches to an independent who caucuses with the Democrats. Thanks to him, the Democrats regain control of the Senate and pass the compromise version of Gore's education reform bill, which he signs into law. This also is the case for the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act.

June 2001-Gore announces that he is delaying implementation of his middle class tax relief for at least another year, as the recession is the worst time to do it.

August 2001-Gore signs a bill opening up and funding stem cell research.

July 2001- Republican Senate Leader Trent Lott says that Republicans will write legislation dealing with tax cuts and deregulation for business and the middle class, despite President Gore's objections.

Last edited:
August 3, 2001-The tax relief plan comes up for a vote and passes. Gore is on the horns of a dilemma. If he signs the bill, the surplus will be drained. If he vetoes the bill, he could lose support among those who wanted the middle class tax relief that he promised and alienate the Republicans in Congress.

August 6, 2001-Gore vetoes the bill and gambles that if there is an override, there will be amendments and compromises that will make the situation more palatable, so that at least a portion of the surplus will remain.

May 18, 2001: DreamWorks Animation releases Shrek to cinemas. Criticis and audiences alike praise the film for its clever satire of classic Disney films and fairytales, especially the Lord Farquaad character, who's supposedly based on Disney C.E.O. Michael Eisner.

Last edited:
August 10, 2001-The tax reform bill is sent back to Congress. Democrats try to encourage Republicans to leave between a third and a half of the surplus in exchange for tabling a proposed gun control measure until the assault weapons ban comes up for renewal in 2004.

I just wanted to remind everyone that since it looks like 9/11 isn't happening, the events surrounding Enron are going to be front and center.

I just wanted to remind everyone that since it looks like 9/11 isn't happening, the events surrounding Enron are going to be front and center.

Absolutely, and Bush's connections will be questioned far more, and all the press will ask him "do you feel that if you had been elected, this connections to Kenneth Lay would be considered proper?"