Effects of Republican Kennedy family?

What would be the effects if Joseph P. Kennedy became a Republican in the 1920s? Would we see a Kennedy win the White House? How does the election of 1960 go? Do JFK or RFK win their respective senate seats?

I got this idea from this old post... https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...edy-family-as-rockefeller-republicans.251759/

I doubt JFK would get elected to the Senate from Massachusetts. In 1946 he is too young (29), and unless a Democrat wins in 1952 (which I think is not that likely) both MA Senate seats will be held by more senior Republicans for the next two decades. If he couldn't run for Senate, Kennedy would have ran for the MA Governorship in 1952. So perhaps he runs in a more Republican House district in 1946, then gets elected to the Governorship in 1952. Maybe he becomes Nixon's running mate in 1960 (oh the irony) and their ticket wins. Unless Oswald decides to turn his sights on Nixon (which probably wouldn't end in an assassination, JFK was killed in very specific circumstances) then Kennedy doesn't become President.

The responses in that thread articulate a lot of reasons why this would hurt the family's political chances from the beginning. The Irish Catholic voting bloc is tied to big city Democratic party machinery and WASP-y New England Republicans would scoff at an upstart Irish Catholic businessman trying to join their ranks.

That said I wouldn't call it impossible because either Kennedy son could still become a war hero and use that to gain entry to Congress but if it came down to Joe Jr. or Jack versus Vice President Nixon for the GOP nomination 1960 I don't see how either could win. They would have to wait to 1964 or later depending on if Nixon wins or not.

Maybe he becomes Nixon's running mate in 1960 (oh the irony) and their ticket wins.
Could a “Vice President Kennedy” run for president in 1968? Or will Addison’s prevent and 16 years of republicans in the White House prevent him? Could LBJ possibly win in 1960 and JFK runs in ‘64?

Could a “Vice President Kennedy” run for president in 1968? Or will Addison’s prevent and 16 years of republicans in the White House prevent him? Could LBJ possibly win in 1960 and JFK runs in ‘64?

JFK would definitely lose in 1968. And I don't think LBJ would beat Nixon in 1960.

JFK would definitely lose in 1968. And I don't think LBJ would beat Nixon in 1960.
Well, if there’s Nixon with Kennedy as Vice President, and Bill Clinton meets either one, does he also become a Republican? Or does he still become a Democrat? What about Hillary? Does she stay a “Goldwater girl” (or Nixon girl since he’d be president) or still come to support McGovern in ‘72? (that is if he still runs.) What about Bobby and Ted? Does Bobby still seek public office in New York or does he move out to a diffrent state? Could Bobby become president in the 80’s or 90’s? He’d only be in his 60’s and early 70’s...

Well, if there’s Nixon with Kennedy as Vice President, and Bill Clinton meets either one, does he also become a Republican? Or does he still become a Democrat? What about Hillary? Does she stay a “Goldwater girl” (or Nixon girl since he’d be president) or still come to support McGovern in ‘72? (that is if he still runs.) What about Bobby and Ted? Does Bobby still seek public office in New York or does he move out to a diffrent state? Could Bobby become president in the 80’s or 90’s? He’d only be in his 60’s and early 70’s...

A) Bill Clinton probably still becomes a Democrat no matter what happens to JFK. Arkansas was a Democratic state when he entered politics there in the 1970s, plus he simply was aligned with Democratic values. And Richard Nixon, who he would meet instead, was by no means the inspiring figure that Kennedy was...
B) HRC is difficult to determine. She would definitely support Nixon at first, but I'm of the opinion that Nixon would be a one termer. He would've invaded Cuba in 1961 after the Bay of Pigs (he told JFK to do this in OTL and got angry when Kennedy disagreed), and I don't think that conflict would've ended well especially when one considers that Nixon is likely to strike Laos and even Vietnam during the same period. (Laos in fact was considered more important than Vietnam in 1961, and Eisenhower told Kennedy to invade. Given Nixon's war policies in OTL, he probably would've listened). With at least two wars that are not unlikely to descend into guerrilla warfare by 1962, I think Nixon would be unpopular come 1964. In OTL HRC supported McCarthy in 1968 even as she was still a Republican. I think she supports the Democrats in 1964 and may still end up becoming a Democrat as a result.
C) If Jack's career sputters out in the 60's, I highly doubt that any of the Kennedy Bros would get elected President.

That said, people so far have given good reasons why the Kennedy's didn't become Republicans. I would add that even if Joe Sr had become a Republican in the 1920s, he would still support FDR in 1932 because he thought Roosevelt was the one man who could save capitalism. He wouldn't have been alone - Henry Wallace was a prominent Republican businessman who crossed party lines to support Roosevelt in '32.

How would JFK even break into high office in MA as a Republican?. Saltonstall and Lodge are unbeatable in the GOP Senate primaries. Christian Herter would easily beat JFK in a Republican primary for governor in 1952. Etc.

The only place for a politically ambitious Irish-American in MA was the Democrats--even if you were a right-wing Joe-McCarthy-loving Democrat! (Which JFK unlike his father never really was--though he was careful not to unnecessarily offend that type of voter.) The Republicans will take blue-blooded WASPs over Joe Kennedy's son.

Christian Herter would easily beat JFK in a Republican primary for governor in 1952
His father was pretty rich. JFK would have the resources to be able to make a serious bid for the governorship especially if he had the reputation as a war hero and was in the house.

His father was pretty rich. JFK would have the resources to be able to make a serious bid for the governorship especially if he had the reputation as a war hero and was in the house.

MA Republicans aren't impressed by nouveau riche Irishmen. They prefer candidates whose ancestors came over on the Mayflower. Or even on a slave ship (like some of Ed Brooke's, presumably). Seriously, Joe Kennedy's friendship with Joe McCarthy would hurt JFK worse among MA Republicans than among Democrats. McCarthy was more popular in South Boston than Back Bay.

Last edited: