The five Fisher-class ships will therefore be HMS Fisher, Indomitable, Invincible, Anson and Indefatigable.

... and their half-sister HMAS Australia to come a little later.

Nice, a neat 6 ship class easily divided into either two three ship squadrons or three scouting pairs.

Deleted member 94680

Neat until refit or repairs happens.

That’s standard for every ship in service ever with every navy worldwide. This way, the RN has a better chance of maintaining two groups of two say during peacetime or three or four as a squadron at War.

That’s standard for every ship in service ever with every navy worldwide. This way, the RN has a better chance of maintaining two groups of two say during peacetime or three or four as a squadron at War.
That's true. I just wouldn't refer to it as neat.

Before hmas Australia was mentioned I was going to refer to the 5 ship battlesquadron (4 in service 1 getting work done) that dominated thinking pre ww1.

The Australian ship has another 4k to play with under the treaty as far as I remember, so better armour or better distribution of the armour, will it get another turret in a stretched design or will it get improved underwater protection?

The Australian ship has another 4k to play with under the treaty as far as I remember, so better armour or better distribution of the armour, will it get another turret in a stretched design or will it get improved underwater protection?

They have 5k more. the limit is 28000 tons add in the 3000 tons for AA improvements and you can get a 31000 ton ship.

I see we have a tie in the favourite name poll started by @roachbeef a few days ago.
My casting vote is therefore applied in favour of Indefatigable for the fifth ship.

The five Fisher-class ships will therefore be HMS Fisher, Indomitable, Invincible, Anson and Indefatigable.

... and their half-sister HMAS Australia to come a little later.

Not too bad of a naming scheme however, I'm somewhat confused why Anson of all names is present here? It really doesn't fit with the Fisher theme of naming and comes off as rather just inserted because it can be. I'd personally recommend sticking with the 'I' naming scheme with something like Impregnable, Intrepid, Inconceivable, Impassable, Incomprehensible or even Incomparable perhaps? Alternatively to fit with the Fisher theme, you could swap Anson for one of his many favorite preliminary ship names such as Unapproachable, Rhadamanthus, Citadel, Untakeable, Nonpareil or Nonsuch.

Is she an ugly sister, or merely younger and more modern in her appearance?
They have 5k more. the limit is 28000 tons add in the 3000 tons for AA improvements and you can get a 31000 ton ship.

She'll be a year or so later, so might learn a few lessons, but is primarily a big sister.
At 28,000 tons (the Australian limit), she must be seen to be different to her '23,000-ton' relatives, so there will be some obvious changes in addition to more subtle improvements.
As MarcH says, she could be up to 31,000 tons, but they will take the opportunity to make the design rather less stretched at the start, so she'll be closer to 28,000.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Not too bad of a naming scheme however, I'm somewhat confused why Anson of all names is present here? It really doesn't fit with the Fisher theme of naming and comes off as rather just inserted because it can be. I'd personally recommend sticking with the 'I' naming scheme with something like Impregnable, Intrepid, Inconceivable, Impassable, Incomprehensible or even Incomparable perhaps? Alternatively to fit with the Fisher theme, you could swap Anson for one of his many favorite preliminary ship names such as Unapproachable, Rhadamanthus, Citadel, Untakeable, Nonpareil or Nonsuch.

Glad Indefatigable came back. I voted for her as there was no HMS Incontinent option! :openedeyewink:

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Slight OT: who remembers the thread that lampooned the USM and the Friesland Islands with a glorious battle where the Big Cats included HMS Kitten while the huge H-class German flagship was Compensating?

image0.jpg

Alternatively, any of these :coldsweat:

You've missed my personal favourite: HMS Perfection
(why aim for anything less ... even though she wasn't - essentially a 25-kt Minotaur dreamt up in 1902)

Of course there's always Incomparable, but the story already has a less absurd version of her in Furious.

HMS Inconceivable: Stuck on design board for 10 years; cost £25,024,947. Armed with 4x6 16" guns with an 11" belt. Rolled over and sunk during sea trials. 3 ratings survived.

HMS Impassable: Errors made during construction meant that no passageways were built, making all interior compartments inaccessible.

HMS Inexcusable: Attempted to cover up sinking of one allied ship during peacetime. Captains and crews of both ships were involved in protracted legal battles against each other for slander and libel. Later sank three allied ships during wartime patrol.

HMS Irresponsible: 697 ratings and 23 officers were discharged after an outbreak of venereal disease.

HMS Incalculable: Sold for scrap while being built due to United Kingdom declaration of bankruptcy. Total of £5,024,947 had been spent at that point.

HMS Indiscernible: While dockyard workers swear they had completed the ship, it disappeared on the morning of its launch ceremony.

HMS Inflatable: First operational hovercraft. Design faults led to chain reaction in rubber hull when struck by machine-gun fire. 4 ratings and 1 officer injured.

HMS Incommodious: Poorly designed desalination facilities led to 666 ratings and 12 officers contracting cholera over the course of 3 months. Sunk during Battle off Samar by IJN Yamato. A 13.5" shell from Incommodious disabled Yamato's rudder, allowing her to be sunk by Barracudas and Swordfish from HMS Henderson.

HMS Indigestible: Sunk during sea trials. Cause found to be extensive use of poorly treated plywood.

HMS Infeasible: Construction stopped after £10,024,947 was spent, a full 40% over-budget. Sold for scrap.

HMS Irremediable: Constant issues with propulsion prevented it from starting sea trials. Sold for scrap.

HMS Inoperative: Spent 2239 days out of 3671-day service in dock. Sold for scrap.

HMS Insufferable: Sunk by HMS Inexcusable's 24.5" torpedo during peacetime exercises. Captains and crews of both ships were involved in protracted legal battles against each other for slander and libel.

HMS Incomprehensible: Sunk by combined fire of 12 allied ships during peacetime patrol.

Last edited:
Where are Inarticulate and Inexpressible on that list? The designs for those were of course impossible for the yards to understand.
And surely Jacky would want Ineffable in there somewhere too?
:p