Down the Parallel Road: An Afsharid Persia Timeline

Wanted to give a bit of a quick progress update, as we are already pushing into November.

The bad news is, I don't have anything really postable yet. The good news is, I have done a tonne of research for this next one, and have even learned the art of GIMP mapmaking to make some maps that don't make you want to claw your eyes out in disgust!

Hopefully the first updates should be ready later on this month, so expect an altogether better researched, more realistic, more interesting and somewhat better looking timeline then!

Great news, I'm looking forward to it.

Wanted to give a bit of a quick progress update, as we are already pushing into November.

The bad news is, I don't have anything really postable yet. The good news is, I have done a tonne of research for this next one, and have even learned the art of GIMP mapmaking to make some maps that don't make you want to claw your eyes out in disgust!

Hopefully the first updates should be ready later on this month, so expect an altogether better researched, more realistic, more interesting and somewhat better looking timeline then!

Those are good points that make waiting all this time worth it.

That's quite wonderful news! Any spoilers you'd be willing to tell? Just to whet our collective palates?

Great news, I'm looking forward to it.
Those are good points that make waiting all this time worth it.
Well, hopefully it will all be worth the wait!
That's quite wonderful news! Any spoilers you'd be willing to tell? Just to whet our collective palates?
In terms of the initial POD, there isn't a great amount of difference. I am planning a little bit more of a look at Persia's condition prior to Nader, as well as a much more detailed outlook on his reign and subsequent events in Persia (it will be more of a Persia-focused TL).

In terms of actual spoilers, I will simply say I have reconsidered what the effects would actually be outside of Persia (as well as inside) based on further research and it will be a very different world indeed fairly early on. A lot of the assumptions that I had made in the previous iteration of the timeline were rather predictable and not actually in line with modern scholarship as it is. I realise that this is more a tease than a spoiler, but that's pretty much all you're getting for now.o_O
Glad you decide to continue this tl.
Well, a reboot more than a continuation, but it is going to be cool (hopefully!).
Yes!! I missed this TL a lot more than I thought.
Thanks!
Can’t wait to see some maps!
Not just more maps, but more aesthetically pleasing maps as well. That ought to be something of a plus.

MORE AESTHETICALLY PLEASING MAPS?! Sign me in!
I know right?! I've got a work in progress here if you're curious.
@Nassirisimo What sources are you using now?
It's a long list. The basic books I'm relying on most are Michael Axworthy's Sword of Persia and Ernst Tucker's Nader Shah's Quest for Legitimacy in Post Safavid Iran. In addition to this, I've got other Iran specific secondary resources such as the Cambridge History, Persia in Crisis: The Decline and Fall of Safavid Iran, Safavid Iran: Rebirth of a Persian Empire and to a lesser extent, Laurence Lockhart's book on Nadir Shah. There's also a number of primary sources, though this has been limited by my inability to speak Farsi (and the unavailability of Farsi-speaking relatives of mine to spend days of their lives translating for me, the ingrates), but principally The History of Nadir Shah by James Fraser, a rather accomplished collector of Oriental Literature in the first half of the 18th century. Jean Chardin's account of his travels provide us with a very interesting look into Persian society in the Safavids as well. On top of this have been journal articles and selections of other works, as well as other books for other areas of the world.
Is the timeline getting a new name?
Yes, though something to do with parallels probably wouldn't sit right...
Will the reboot be in this thread, or a brand new one?
I'll be creating a new thread, hopefully around this weekend.

I know right?! I've got a work in progress here if you're curious.

It's a long list. The basic books I'm relying on most are Michael Axworthy's Sword of Persia and Ernst Tucker's Nader Shah's Quest for Legitimacy in Post Safavid Iran. In addition to this, I've got other Iran specific secondary resources such as the Cambridge History, Persia in Crisis: The Decline and Fall of Safavid Iran, Safavid Iran: Rebirth of a Persian Empire and to a lesser extent, Laurence Lockhart's book on Nadir Shah. There's also a number of primary sources, though this has been limited by my inability to speak Farsi (and the unavailability of Farsi-speaking relatives of mine to spend days of their lives translating for me, the ingrates), but principally The History of Nadir Shah by James Fraser, a rather accomplished collector of Oriental Literature in the first half of the 18th century. Jean Chardin's account of his travels provide us with a very interesting look into Persian society in the Safavids as well. On top of this have been journal articles and selections of other works, as well as other books for other areas of the world.

Yes, though something to do with parallels probably wouldn't sit right...

I'll be creating a new thread, hopefully around this weekend.

I have access to Jstor, Project Muse, and a few other scholarly repositories for articles, reviews and such. I can go through them and see if there's any useful things relevant to your TL if you'd like.

i will miss this timeline but im sure its successor will be even better, will you be posting a link to the new version in this thread?

i will miss this timeline but im sure its successor will be even better, will you be posting a link to the new version in this thread?

I can't help but agree with you since I enjoyed how far this timeline got in comparison to other attempts, along with the detail Nassirisimo put into each update.

I just hope some elements from this thread can remain in the reboot.

I have access to Jstor, Project Muse, and a few other scholarly repositories for articles, reviews and such. I can go through them and see if there's any useful things relevant to your TL if you'd like.
Thanks for the offer. I may PM you at some point as unfortunately I no longer have access to those resources, and three articles every fortnight just simply isn't enough.
Certainly, you can find a link to the new TL here.
I can't help but agree with you since I enjoyed how far this timeline got in comparison to other attempts, along with the detail Nassirisimo put into each update.

I just hope some elements from this thread can remain in the reboot.
I'll try my best to maintain the same standards in terms of details and what not. Hopefully it will be at least somewhat educational, or at least as educational as you can get with alternate history. I am looking forward to hearing what people think of my new timeline however.

I'll try my best to maintain the same standards in terms of details and what not. Hopefully it will be at least somewhat educational, or at least as educational as you can get with alternate history. I am looking forward to hearing what people think of my new timeline however.

While a that is something I greatly enjoy, I follow threads for their narratives in HOW they tell the facts. Which stems from a childhood of preferring documentaries over cringe worthy cartoons.

With that said, this will be my final post on this thread before moving over to your reboot.

Just make sure it doesn't become the "Dragon Ball Evolution" of timelines