A Destiny Realized: A Timeline of Afsharid Iran and Beyond

Prologue
800px-Mesdjid-i-Shah_01.jpg

Isfahan, 1715

Iranian History is dominated by tales of the “Rusul-u-Muluk”, or Prophets and Princes. From Zoroaster to Cyrus the Great, heroic figures bringing revelation or the sword have not only shaped the history of the Iranian people, but have inspired folk-stories and literature focusing on great heroes who rise from nothing to bring great changes to the world. The most fascinating aspect of some of these tales is that they are at least mostly true to life. Perhaps none of the Princes of Iranian history however rose from so low a station to attain such glory and power in his life as “Nader Shah”, the son of a shepherd who rose to become the most powerful Shah in Iran’s history. Noted for his ambition, fair-mindedness and capability as much as his ruthlessness or rapacity, the story of Nader’s rise to power as well as the glories that accompanied his rule are perhaps some of the most interesting in Iran’s long and illustrious history.

And so, our story begins in the Safavid Capital of Isfahan. To the easily dazzled, the city was nothing short of a paradise in the years before its fall. Even to modern eyes, the Naqsh-e Jahan Square impresses, and before the sack of the city by the Afghans in later years, the city was crisscrossed by great boulevards, studded with blue-tiled mosques and filled with rich bazaars. To the young Nader, the provincial son of a livestock herder, it might have well have been the moon.

Nader, a young musketeer in the army of Baba Ali, a Khorasani Warlord, had been dispatched to Isfahan with the news of a great victory against invading Turkmen. The great capital of Safavid Iran had impressed young Nader, though this was less the case with the effete, luxury loving court. Willing to accept his hundred toman reward from the hands of Shah Sultan Hussain, he nevertheless found something distinctly sickening in the ostentation of the courtiers, in only the way that one who was raised in poverty can. Were these really the men to maintain so great an empire?

Flush with more cash than he had ever seen, Nader decided to explore some of the city at his leisure, and encountered an old fortune teller, with a thin white beard and eyes half-blinded and discoloured with cataracts, in the Naqsh-e Jahan Square.

The man beckoned to him. “Greetings young Nader. Would you care for me to tell you your fortune?”

Nader warily approached him. “You know my name?”

“I will know a great deal beside this…”

Nader sat next to the man, and the old man offered a small cup of coffee. Nader drank from it, and the old man instructed him to turn it toward his heart, and place it on the mat between them. The old man waited, and picked up the coffee. He peered closely into the cup, straining what was left of his vision.

“How can this blind man even see what’s in the cup?” Nader wondered as the old man repeated the action a few times.

With a look of disbelief etched into his face, the old man put the cup down, and bowed to Nader.

“My Lord, your future is unmistakable as it is unbelievable. You will one day be the Shah”

Nader scoffed. “Impossible!”

The old man’s face shot a look of determination. He seemed genuinely certain of what he was saying. “Though my eyes have clouded, I see your future majesty, as clear as anything. You will one day be the Shah, obeyed by Kings from the Bosporus to the Ganges in Far Hindustan”

Nader was now visibly annoyed “You must be mad. Or perhaps you assume you can swindle this naïve Khorasani?”

“With Allah as my witness, I swear that I speak the truth. I merely beg you to treat my children kindly when you are Shah”

Nader left the man without saying another word. The old fortune teller was obviously mad, yet there was something somewhere in Nader that said maybe he was right.

Isfahan, 1732
Nader’s mind turned back to his encounter with the fortune teller all those years ago as he placed the crown by the head of the infant Shah Abbas. The child may have reigned as Shah, but he would not rule. None of the Safavids ever could again. He would never rule and the hands that placed the crown near him were those of he who now ruled Iran, Nader, the man formerly known as Tahmasp Quli [1].

Nevertheless, pretences have to be made. Such is the game of ruling. As Nader placed the crown by the head of the infant Abbas, the little boy began to cry. Nader turned to the men present.

“Do any of you know why the child cries so?”

There was shaking of heads and shrugging of shoulders. “Lord Regent, perhaps you would know better than we”

Nader smirked. These men knew his game, and were willing to play it. “The boy, he cries because he wishes not to rule only Iranians, but to rule over the Afghans in Kandahar too. He wishes to receive the submission of the Ottoman Sultan!”

Those present began to cheer. Nader began to raise his voice as he bellowed out further apparent instructions from the young king. “For this boy-Shah, I will undertake this task. I will throw reigns around the necks of the Afghans of Kandahar who dared enslave us, and the Ottomans who will reduce us to dust. I will fight the slaver-kings of Turkestan and bring the lands of India to heel!”

A farce of a ceremony. All present knew Nader was, for all intents and purposes, the ruler of Iran. Indeed, soon he would be Shah in name as well as fact. The little boy Abbas did not know, that he would be the last of the line of Safavid rulers in Iran, supplanted by the man who had crowned him.

[1] - A title meaning "Servant of Tahmasp", in this case referring to the Safavid Shah whom Nader overthrew in 1732.

Introduction
And so once again I begin a TL about Nader Shah. Although there will be quite a lot in common, at least initially with “Down the Parallel Road”, I do intend for this to be more than simply a better-written and more focused rehash. Nader Shah is an immensely interesting character, a classic rags-to-riches and back tale. Up until 1741, far from being the mad tyrant of later legend, there was much reason for hope in his rule. His contemporary, the English traveller and collector of literature, James Fraser (who had met Nader during his travels to the East) wrote the following about him in 1742.

“I could relate many other remarkable things I have seen and heard of this great hero, whose actions already are sufficient to convince the world, that few ages have produced his equal. As he has performed such wonders when he had hardly money or men, what may we not expect from him now he is possessed of so immense a treasure?

‘Tis probably he may live thirty years longer, and in that space of time, if his designs are attended with the fame success he has hitherto met with, to watch pitch of grandeur may not a man of his unbounded ambition and courage arrive at?

Of course by the time that Fraser was writing, the dream was already souring. Nader’s heir apparent whom Fraser seemed to have a high regard for had been blinded and confined to the fortress of Kalat-i-Naderi in Khorasan. The next five years would be marked by revolt, increasing cruelty and a draining of the relentless energy that had seen Nader Shah restore the borders of the Safavid Empire and invade India.

In hindsight the failure of Nader Shah to build a lasting, stable Iranian state at such a critical time in world history is seen as disastrous. The strong state that had presented a serious threat to the Ottomans was never to properly emerge again, and it is not until the 20th century that Iran was able to act effectively as a power in its own right. As Rudi Matthee notes in his book Persia in Crisis: Safavid Decline and the Fall of Isfahan.

“After 1722 Europeans no longer visited what was now seen as a dark and dangerous land. When they returned to Iran in the early nineteenth century they looked in vain for the splendor of the realm of the legendary Sophi; what they encountered instead was a bedraggled, backward country of ruined towns inhabited by impoverished, ignorant people who seemed in dire need of Western tutelage”

Orientalist conceptions of Eastern Backwardness aside, it seems apparent that unlike Europe, as well as large swathes of the world including China, Japan and mainland South East Asia, Iran’s 18th century was one of decline. In terms of its population, in the security of its people, in the strength of the state and its institutions as well as its international position.

Therefore one can see why the idea of a Nader Shah who instead of turning mad and leading his country into poverty, civil war and despair, reforms the state and builds a lasting legacy as in my previous timeline is a tantalising one. What I do feel had been neglected in my previous timeline had been just what kind of impact a strong, Afsharid Iran would have on the rest of the world. Certainly, I think one of my greatest crimes was the urge to railroad the world to being rather more like the 19th century of our world than it should have been. As John Darwin points out in After Tamerlane, Europe’s rise to pre-eminence and territorial domination in much of the world was a result of a number of contingent factors, such as unlikely British success in Bengal. Why then, in a world which a number of non-European states may well be strengthened, did the British still rise to dominance in India, and so forth. This and a number of other issues with Down the Parallel Road eventually distracted me too much, hence the new timeline.

So what are we likely to see with this timeline? Firstly, I want to keep a stronger focus on Iran and its neighbours. My last work veered too readily into Eurocentrism, the kind of which I think was a bit inappropriate and which I wish to avoid. As this timeline has been better researched than the previous iteration, there will be more aspects of Nader’s rule, and more unrealised plans that will see the light of day in this alternate world. Secondly, I want to try and ensure that things are better explained, and that various concepts that may be unfamiliar to the general reader might be somewhat clearer. Thirdly, more goodies such as maps, narrative pieces and what not may be appreciated, and I will make an attempt to include more in this timeline.

As a note, I will attempt to provide some citations for possibly contentious statements (wouldn’t want to let all my research go to waste). As far as possible, I will try to use the native names for places, so we will refer to Iran as opposed to Persia, and so forth. Exceptions will likely be made here and there when the native name is insufficiently well known, for example “Mueang Thai” as opposed to Thailand or Siam. It is likely that grammatical errors and typos will slip in from time to time, but I will try and make an effort to proofread thoroughly.

A good start, don't blame you for veering into euro-centrism last time, Europeans dominated the world so much during that period of history that it can be hard to imagine a scenario where that doesn't happen quite as much. ive seen timelines with POD's a thousand years in the past somehow still have Britain ruling the waves so it was hardly the worst example.

While I love me a good Brit-wank, it will be interesting to see a world where Britain doesn't get "its Jewel" and how that influences herself and ofcourse the influences on other European nations.

Obviously there's a love for Persia/Iran here too. If it's possible, might we see a small chapter/section somewhere about how the small Zoroastrian community that remains experiences this stronger Iran compared to the one of OTL? I've always been fascinated by the idea of exploring key differences in timelines by using a minority lens, even if only for a chapter and I feel seeing the Zoroastrian experience of TTL's Iran might be a great way to show who the beneficiaries of the changes are and in general different moods among the Iranian people.

I liked your previous tl, and will follow this from the beginning. Its always nice to see a well researched timeline that doesn't focus on the western world.

I've been looking into and researching 18th c India a bit while thinking about a Maratha Empire TL. It will be interesting to see how a revived Iran will impact India-the former general of Nader Shah (Shah Abdali) was able to invade multiple times but didn't have the resources to stay. Did Nader Shah ever plan to permanently expand his kingdom into India?

Last edited:
Orientalist conceptions of Eastern Backwardness aside, it seems apparent that unlike Europe, as well as large swathes of the world including China, Japan and mainland South East Asia, Iran’s 18th century was one of decline. In terms of its population, in the security of its people, in the strength of the state and its institutions as well as its international position.

Therefore one can see why the idea of a Nader Shah who instead of turning mad and leading his country into poverty, civil war and despair, reforms the state and builds a lasting legacy as in my previous timeline is a tantalising one. What I do feel had been neglected in my previous timeline had been just what kind of impact a strong, Afsharid Iran would have on the rest of the world. Certainly, I think one of my greatest crimes was the urge to railroad the world to being rather more like the 19th century of our world than it should have been. As John Darwin points out in After Tamerlane, Europe’s rise to pre-eminence and territorial domination in much of the world was a result of a number of contingent factors, such as unlikely British success in Bengal. Why then, in a world which a number of non-European states may well be strengthened, did the British still rise to dominance in India, and so forth. This and a number of other issues with Down the Parallel Road eventually distracted me too much, hence the new timeline.

So what are we likely to see with this timeline? Firstly, I want to keep a stronger focus on Iran and its neighbours. My last work veered too readily into Eurocentrism, the kind of which I think was a bit inappropriate and which I wish to avoid. As this timeline has been better researched than the previous iteration, there will be more aspects of Nader’s rule, and more unrealised plans that will see the light of day in this alternate world. Secondly, I want to try and ensure that things are better explained, and that various concepts that may be unfamiliar to the general reader might be somewhat clearer. Thirdly, more goodies such as maps, narrative pieces and what not may be appreciated, and I will make an attempt to include more in this timeline.

Okay I will admit it Narisimo, this reboot went above and beyond my expectations. Though you are right in that there wasn't as much focus on the internation scene as I would have liked. So good on you for rectifying it.

The tighter focus on Persia, the Middle East, and Indian Subcontinent will definitely help imo. Looking forward to more!

A good start, don't blame you for veering into euro-centrism last time, Europeans dominated the world so much during that period of history that it can be hard to imagine a scenario where that doesn't happen quite as much. ive seen timelines with POD's a thousand years in the past somehow still have Britain ruling the waves so it was hardly the worst example.
Well, I suppose that it all depends on where you fall in the great debate of when Europe's pre-eminence was inevitable. Personally I tend to believe that it was inevitable rather later than most people, but it is quite an active debate.

Saxons can't sail though, they need a bit of Norman blood to do that so that last example does sound ASB.
While I love me a good Brit-wank, it will be interesting to see a world where Britain doesn't get "its Jewel" and how that influences herself and ofcourse the influences on other European nations.

Obviously there's a love for Persia/Iran here too. If it's possible, might we see a small chapter/section somewhere about how the small Zoroastrian community that remains experiences this stronger Iran compared to the one of OTL? I've always been fascinated by the idea of exploring key differences in timelines by using a minority lens, even if only for a chapter and I feel seeing the Zoroastrian experience of TTL's Iran might be a great way to show who the beneficiaries of the changes are and in general different moods among the Iranian people.
Minorities are quite interesting, especially the Zoroastrians of Iran. In OTL, quite a bit of the damage to their community has already been done by the Safavids, though if the Afsharids continue Nader's policy of toleration they may well do better than OTL. As a minority though their importance is likely to be overshadowed somewhat by the size of the Armenian community, whom Nader in OTL seemed to have something of a soft spot for.
I liked your previous tl, and will follow this from the beginning. Its always nice to see a well researched timeline that doesn't focus on the western world.
Much appreciated! Europe will not feature as highly as it did in the last TL, and the focus will be primarily on Iran, with a secondary focus on the Ottoman Empire, India and to something of a lesser extent, Muslim Southeast Asia and Africa. Other areas will receive attention too however.
Followed, with considerable interest.
Thanks!
I've been looking into and researching 18th c India a bit while thinking about a Maratha Empire TL. It will be interesting to see how a revived Iran will impact India-the former general of Nader Shah (Shah Abdali) was able to invade multiple times but didn't have the resources to stay. Did Nader Shah ever plan to permanently expand his kingdom into India?
Michael Axworthy in his biography of Nader Shah speculates that Nader may have left the door open for further intervention into India in the future. How close this control would be of course is a matter of contention. Kabul isn't in such a bad position for extending influence into India, and indeed it was used as a base both by the Mughals as well as Ahmad Shah Durrani/Abdali for expansion into India. Nader's Empire meanwhile was based around Mashhad, around 900 km further from India than Kabul is, and was a bit better suited for expansion into Central Asia.
Okay I will admit it Narisimo, this reboot went above and beyond my expectations. Though you are right in that there wasn't as much focus on the internation scene as I would have liked. So good on you for rectifying it.
Well, that's always good to hear! Hopefully it ends up being as I envision it...
Quite a spectacular opening. I am intently watching.
Thanks!
The tighter focus on Persia, the Middle East, and Indian Subcontinent will definitely help imo. Looking forward to more!
Indeed. It's not to say that Europe will be forgotten, poorly researched or uneventful, but I do intend to have something of a different focus.

The Rise of Nader Shah
c9h2zyi.jpg

From Nader Quli to Nader Shah

Great Empires usually disappear from the world in one of two fashions. The former, is a long, gradual decline in which a territory is lost here, a battle there, but the death is protracted over decades or even centuries. When the Empire finally disappears, it is surprising only that the polity still existed. Perhaps the most famous examples of this would be the fall of the Roman Empire, which in its height ruled over much of Europe, as well as West Asia and North Africa, but which ended its days clinging to a dying city.

The latter fashion is the dramatic fall. Seemingly at their height, these Empires are crushed in a few short years by determined conquerors, as the Assyrians were. Falling into this category would be the Empire of the Safavids, the Shi’i Turkmen who founded a great Iranian Empire. At the dawn of the 18th century, they appeared to be a significant force in the world, secure from incursion from outside as well as inside. However, within a few short years, the Empire faced an uprising among the Gilzāi Afghans at Kandahar, which eventually turned into a full-scale overthrow, the drunken Shah Hussain turned into a prisoner of the Afghan Mahmud Hotak, who now styled himself as the new Shah of Iran.

Mahmud soon succumbed to his own mental weaknesses, bringing the more dangerous Ashraf Hotak to the throne. Ashraf’s rule of Iran was challenged by the Ottomans, who wished to restore imprisoned Shah Hussain to the throne of Iran. As it happened, the Ottomans received only his head rather than his throne, as well as a stinging defeat at the hands of Ashraf Hotak. Here, a new dynasty may have begun but it proved to be but a false start. A scion of the Safavids, a drunkard named Tahmasp, had escaped to Qazvin and set up a remnant state there. He styled himself Tahmasp II, the legitimate Safavid Shah of Iran. With the Russians in control of the Caspian provinces, the Ottomans in Hamadan and the Afghans establishing their rule in Isfahan, the restoration of the Safavid Empire seemed to be a tall order.

He fought a campaign to restore to Iran the rule of the Safavid dynasty. With the replacement of the Fath-Ali Khan Qajar with the brilliant warrior and leader Nader Afshar, the Afghans were repeatedly defeated, and driven out of Iran. Having rid himself of the Afghans however, Tahmasp found himself with an overbearing servant in the form of Nader. Attempts to gain victory outside of the shadow of his servant led to disaster, and led to Tahmasp’s own downfall. In a drunken stupor, he was taken away without a fight by Nader’s men, and imprisoned, leaving the throne to his new-born son, Abbas. The Safavid Empire was now supposedly ruled by a young child, vulnerable to the ambitions of the man who had once been known as “Tahmasp Qoli”. The restoration of the Safavid Empire had proven to be yet another false start in Iran’s history, and nothing more than the prelude to the establishment of that of the Afsharids [1].

As the Iranian army tore apart the Ottomans at the Battle of Yeghevārd, the war which Nader Quli had fought against the Ottomans for three years had seemingly come to its conclusion. Although unable to root the Ottomans from Baghdad, partly due to the lack of an effective siege train in the Iranian army, Nader had inflicted a number of stinging defeats on the Ottoman forces. With the great victory at Yeghevārd, which had pushed the Ottomans from the Eastern side of the Caucasus, Nader was able to secure something in the way of a peace treaty from the Ottomans. Iran’s borders were restored, and with a signing of a peace treaty with the Russians earlier in 1735, the two great powers who had occupied Iran’s territory in the wake of the fall of Isfahan had now been expulsed from Iranian territory. In just thirteen years, Iran had undergone a great revival, as the moribund Safavid State had been reconstituted largely due to the efforts of Nader Quli. However, Nader was not content to be the servant of the Safavids for long, and following the victory at Yeghevārd assembled Iran’s notables on the Moghan Plain.

Initially, Nader presented the assembly as one to find a suitable successor for him, either from one of the Safavid Princes or from another capable man. However, after the strangulation of a Shi'a cleric who had publically hoped for a Safavid restoration, the true purpose of the assembly was ascertained by most. Nader intended the assembly to officially hand him the power he already wielded, and confirm him as Shah of Iran. After several weeks, the great men of the country were clamouring for Nader to be crowned as Shah, and at the beginning of 1736 he was now officially the Shah of Iran. How much of the stated desire for him to rule formerly was coerced was unknown, though it is likely that the desire for the return of the Safavid dynasty was tempered by the knowledge that Nader, if somewhat harsh in his rule, was a strongman capable of securing Iran’s borders. As well as Nader’s rule being confirmed, the first large domestic shifts were announced at the Moghan Plain, including the religious reforms that would transform Iran into a Sunni Country once again.

Further internal changes began to take place once Nader returned to Isfahan later in 1736. For the time being at least, Isfahan remained the centre of Iran’s bureaucracy, and Iran’s de-facto capital. It was here that Nader began to undertake the first serious administrative reforms of his rule. The distinction that had existing in Safavid Iran between Crown Land and land governed by provincial governors was abolished, with the revenues of all lands flowing into central treasury. Provincial governors were to be supervised by a network of spies to reduce corruption and graft. The army was not to be rewarded with tax-farming arrangements or land, but all rewards were to be monetary in nature, and the soldiery was to be paid a regular salary. These measures could all be taken as “modernization” along European lines, but there was little evidence that Nader saw it as this way, and was more likely a way for him to secure financial power within Iran and to accentuate the importance of this financial power.

[1] – In OTL, Nader likely caught malaria in the Caucasus in 1735, following his great victory over the Ottomans at Yeghevārd. As in my previous TL, Nader avoids this and the subsequent mental and physical deterioration that his illness caused him.

Early Afsharid Administrative Reforms

Nader Shah would produce something of a revolution in military affairs in the Middle East and beyond. However, his administrative reforms have traditionally been overshadowed by both his military successes as well as the “black legend” of his rapaciousness. Certainly, the initial part of his reign saw less administrative reform than would come later, with much of Nader’s domestic policy focused on two goals, namely the suppression of Shi'a religious practices and the collection of taxes to fund his military campaigns abroad. Although there is a significant body of evidence that suggests that Nader was aware of the ruinous long-term effects of heavy and sometimes arbitrary taxation on the populace, he was loath to change this policy at this point in his reign. Nader’s own attitude was somewhat dismissive of urban-dwellers in general, whom he personally saw as devious. His had reportedly earlier proclaimed that he saw himself as the scourge of God, though if true, he may well have stated this attitude not due to belief, but as justification for his high taxation. Although producing great amounts of resentment among the populace, this was in part balanced by his foreign policy success.

Another marked shift from the Safavid era was the confiscation of Waqf and its incorporation into the Raqabāt-i Nādirī, a special land register. The landholdings of the Shi'a mosques and clergy had given them great amounts of power and wealth, contributing further to their growing influence in Iranian society. For Nader the mere ability to challenge him would have been reason enough to curb the power of the clergy, but their active agitation in favour of the deposed Safavids gave Nader the imperative to seize their lands. While it is still unclear how many clergy-owned Waqf were transferred to the crown, it was enough to significantly reduce the financial power of the Shi'a clergy significantly. While this was not always a consistent feature of Nader’s rule (The shrine of Imam Reza at Mashhad for example was granted Waqf by Nader), there was a concerted trend in the reduction of the clergy’s landholding in favour of the states.

In the earlier part of Nader’s reign, administrative reforms were clearly focused on the increase of revenues to the crown and the deprivation of other interests who had been judged as detrimental in the late Safavid era. Much of the revenue raised in 1736/7 would go to enlarge the Iranian army that Nader would march East with, transforming both Iran’s geopolitical situation as well as the internal economic situation.

Isfahan, 1736

Nader Shah’s tent was his usual court, where his policies were devised and where his rule mostly took place. However, to administer a great urbanised empire requires more in the tent, and although the court had been ripped from Isfahan several years earlier when the Safavids were moved to Qazvin, much of the administration of Iran was still based in the city. Hence, to reform the remains of the Safavid State, Nader had based himself in what remained of the great palace of the Safavids. Here, he worked on an edict which would rip the lands, and therefore the power, from the hands of the Shi'a clergy who had become so influential in the previous two centuries.

Muhammad Taqi looked at the edict in front of him. “They won’t like this. None one bit”

Far from being affected at his advisor’s concern, Nader seemed take a perverse enjoyment in situations which left others worried. “No, they will not. But if I doubled their lands, grovelled at their feet and promised them ten Circassian virgins each, they would still want my head on a plate”

“You are not wrong there” Muhammad Taqi smirked. “But that doesn’t mean that they will let this go quietly”

Nader rose from his couch. “And what armies would they be sending to coerced me to rescind my decision exactly? How many horsemen to the Clerics of Qom command? I wonder how many weeks it would take them to mobilize their phantom armies”

“It’s not about who they can command, it’s about who they can influence. There are many among the Afshars and Qajars who listen to them, and the Bakhtiaris…”

“The Bakhtiaris would look Qom themselves if they thought they could get away with it” Nader quickly retorted.

Muhammad Taqi paused, considering his next words carefully. “You are certain this is the right course? We are this much in need of money?”

Nader nodded. “We are. We cannot batter down the walls of Kandahar ourselves. If we are to pacify the East, we need all the money we can get for the time being. Iran is still at war, and it is high time that these idiots acted like it”

Muhammad Taqi joked “Or rather than squeezing the Marja, perhaps we could instead buy peace with the Afghans with the daughters of the Marja’”

Nader laughed “But indeed! That would be very poor trade!” After he had settled down, he looked Muhammad Taqi straight in the eyes. “But you think that this gambit could raise enough revenue to get our army to Kandahar, and then who knows!”

“Aye” he nodded. “I suppose that in the end, they will kick and fuss like the whining bitches that they are, but ultimately I don’t see them managing to raise any rebellions of significance. I shall see that it is done”

Author's Notes - And we are finally past the POD, though there are no real changes yet. Really, this is to give something of a background to Nader's reign as things begin to veer away from OTL. By 1736 Nader had already distinguished himself by his avarice as much as his fair-mindedness, though this was to pale to what Iran would have to suffer a decade later as his madness took hold. Next update we shall accompany Nader into Afghanistan and beyond into Hindustan!

I also hope the map is at least passable! I'll try to insert more into the TL down the line to give a better visual impression of what's going on, and not to make the fact I learned how to use GIMP redundant. Hopefully they will improve in quality too!

Last edited:
Isfahan, 1736
Nader Shah’s tent was his usual court, where his policies were devised and where his rule mostly took place. However, to administer a great urbanised empire requires more in the tent, and although the court had been ripped from Isfahan several years earlier when the Safavids were moved to Qazvin, much of the administration of Iran was still based in the city. Hence, to reform the remains of the Safavid State, Nader had based himself in what remained of the great palace of the Safavids. Here, he worked on an edict which would rip the lands, and therefore the power, from the hands of the Shia’ clergy who had become so influential in the previous two centuries.

Muhammad Taqi looked at the edict in front of him. “They won’t like this. None one bit”

Far from being affected at his advisor’s concern, Nader seemed take a perverse enjoyment in situations which left others worried. “No, they will not. But if I doubled their lands, grovelled at their feet and promised them ten Circassian virgins each, they would still want my head on a plate”

“You are not wrong there” Muhammad Taqi smirked. “But that doesn’t mean that they will let this go quietly”

Nader rose from his couch. “And what armies would they be sending to coerced me to rescind my decision exactly? How many horsemen to the Clerics of Qom command? I wonder how many weeks it would take them to mobilize their phantom armies”

“It’s not about who they can command, it’s about who they can influence. There are many among the Afshars and Qajars who listen to them, and the Bakhtiaris…”

“The Bakhtiaris would look Qom themselves if they thought they could get away with it” Nader quickly retorted.

Muhammad Taqi paused, considering his next words carefully. “You are certain this is the right course? We are this much in need of money?”

Nader nodded. “We are. We cannot batter down the walls of Kandahar ourselves. If we are to pacify the East, we need all the money we can get for the time being. Iran is still at war, and it is high time that these idiots acted like it”

Muhammad Taqi joked “Or rather than squeezing the Marja, perhaps we could instead buy peace with the Afghans with the daughters of the Marja’”

Nader laughed “But indeed! That would be very poor trade!” After he had settled down, he looked Muhammad Taqi straight in the eyes. “But you think that this gambit could raise enough revenue to get our army to Kandahar, and then who knows!”

“Aye” he nodded. “I suppose that in the end, they will kick and fuss like the whining bitches that they are, but ultimately I don’t see them managing to raise any rebellions of significance. I shall see that it is done”

Ambitious, Pragmatic, Unbelievably Talented, and Sarcastic, my goodness Nader really is a fascinating personality to learn about. As well as following this timeline and all it's twist in the future, Especially for the going on's in the next door Subcontinent what with having a better knowledge of it's major factions like the Sikhs and Marathi this time around.^^

Also LOVE the new improvements in your cartography. ;)

It's great to see this coming back. I really enjoyed the previous version despite it's flaws and I'm really excited for a new version which steps away from the Eurocentrism that hobbled it's predecessor.

And so rises the founder of the Afsharids.

I wonder how you will take him this time, since I really enjoyed your previous iteration. Looks like India will still receiving the proverbial shaft, nonetheless.

Great stuff. And nice hint about Iran returning to the Sunni fold, which will no doubt take quite a bit of time.

I don’t know the previous version, and I have only a vague knowledge of Persian and Central Asian history in this period. But this is a superbly well-written narrative with supremely readable prose and Nader Shah comes across as a fascinating personality. To use an anachronism, subscribed.