Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

[ref to British trading agreement with Alaska]

Or the US do the same.

Possibly, Glen, possibly, but...I think not. The British were the merchants of the world at this point. Not only did everyone expect to see them everywhere, and not only were they often the best way of turning a profit from a bad situation by their capability of taking any goods and finding somewhere in the world where it was needed, for the highest profit margins, but more importantly was the fact that they had the reputation for being able to do the above. Even in cases where they couldn't sell a product and were ripping off the original traders to guarantee that the middle man made money, the original seller felt like they were onto something, because no other nation could guarantee trade with the rest of the world. The Americans, by contrast, had large parts of the world where their merchants simply did not go. Not only this, but this is Russia we are talking about. The same Russia which was highly bigoted in its dealings with Europe - they, for instance, believed that they had the sole right to represent Slavic peoples, above and beyond the existence of other Slavic nations, and they started their own war in Europe when they tried repeatedly to take Constantinople, claiming that it was their right to govern such an important eastern city. I suspect that, if the Americans turned up and asked for a Most Favoured Nation agreement with Alaska, the Russians would laugh in their faces and say "who is America?"

[ref to Europeans jumping in on the act over Alaskan saber-rattling]

What?:confused:

Over Alaska? Maybe...but somehow I think not.

OK, OK, I portrayed that badly, but I stick to my theory. The point is, it's different when the US is trying to attack European colonies. In OTL they didn't try it until the 1898 Spanish-American War, by which time they had had opportunities and the far side of 120 years to prove who they were and to make a name for themselves as a true growing power. In TTL, they are yet to do anything ground-shaking to prove their might, and yet we are advocating that the first war they intend to try is against a European power which had been ignoring them, and who they shouldn't have had a problem with. To much of Europe, this is going to smack of a jumped-up ex-colonial freshman at school (to use the American slang) being told by one of their nerdy, stupid, foreign-exchange student friends that the only way they can win respect is to beat someone up, and rather than picking on a fight with another freshman who no-one cares about, he picks a fight with Russia's weak brother, who isn't able to defend hisself. Not only is this an insult and a direct attack on Russia, but it's a statement to all the European "jocks" that America, if it gets away with it, intends to keep building a reputation "or, to go back to our actual scenario, "cleaning up those borders") by beating up the rest of their kid brothers too. After all, if Europe is going to stand by and laugh while Alaska gets picked off, why on earth should Europe feel surprised if America then feels empowered into attacking, say, French Guyana, or the Philippines, or Portuguese Africa, or even the DSA.

At least in OTL, when the US attacked Mexico the European countries could look at themselves and with reasonable confidence say "yeah, but they would never dare attack us, so our colony is safe". Yet in this scenario, the USA's very first expansionist attack is on the European elite themselves. I'm not suggesting here that the other European states would join the war, but I do feel they would respond by sending the USA messages to the tune of "what do you think you're doing? Do you realise how much we can hurt you if you try this on us too?"

Finally, and this is an important point here too, which I dreadfully undersold in my posts, the means of the American attack in a situation where Russian Alaska officially has closed borders is important. It is different (not much, but it is) to send over colonists over an open border, have them legitimately take up possession of the land, and then when they are mistreated call for their home government to support them, and the result of a war being that the US legitimately demands that territory as compensation. In this scenario, US settlers were never allowed to go to Alaska. Yes, they might be able to sneak there and start up some mines (let's not forget here, though, that Alaska is woefully under-populated and is very rarely visited by ships aside from British and Russian merchants and the Russian Navy), but even if they do they will be illegal immigrants. It's one thing demanding territory because a load of settlers have moved across the border and feel that they aren't being respected: that's gunboat diplomacy, although even this is the extreme end. But in the Alaskan case, the US would be demanding the ceding of territory not for this reason, but for the reason of "Russia wouldn't allow us to illegally plant illegal immigrants for the illegal reason of illegally mining and exploiting Russian gold deposits!" I know that a lot of reasons for war and conquest in this era were patchy and questionable at best, but there really were limits to how far you could push it. Claiming that you demand Alaska as compensation for your settlers being treated roughly because they were attempting to break the law in the first place is just going too far, and it would be impossible for the US to convince Europe that it was anything other than "nice territory, I'm taking it"... If you let the US get away with it once, then you should expect the US to start declaring that all European colonies are up for grabs, and it's this reason that France, Spain and the UK would consider threatening the US with sanctions. Remember, this US wasn't a powerhouse in this era, yet, so there's no reason that Europeans - especially France and Spain who have little reason to pay attention to the USA at this time - would treat the USA at this point as a serious nation worthy of enough respect to not warn them over such blatantly expansionist methods.

I doubt Russia will keep Alaska even if it isn't sold before the gold rush because the gold rush is going to be exactly that... a gold RUSH... Russia will profit from it for a few years but the gold will be mined out and it will go back to being pretty much worthless territory subject to an ever encroaching US that will legitimately lay claim to the interior. The Russians aren't willing to risk bad blood with the US over this piece of land and would most likely sell it off to make a few bux (maybe keeping a few more of the Aleutians or something). It's not like the North Shore oil deposits are going to be discovered in 1900 or something...

Alaska is much further away from any Russian interests than it is to US interests. There is nothing east of Alaska that is in the Russian SOI so there is no reason to keep it strategically... It's no good for launching an invasion from and is completely indefensible to the US if there was a war... and even if losing Alaska wouldn't be much skin off Russia's back it would be an embarrassment and a bargaining chip for the US in any settlement. So both pre and post gold rush why not sell it?

I doubt Russia will keep Alaska even if it isn't sold before the gold rush because the gold rush is going to be exactly that... a gold RUSH... Russia will profit from it for a few years but the gold will be mined out and it will go back to being pretty much worthless territory subject to an ever encroaching US that will legitimately lay claim to the interior. The Russians aren't willing to risk bad blood with the US over this piece of land and would most likely sell it off to make a few bux (maybe keeping a few more of the Aleutians or something). It's not like the North Shore oil deposits are going to be discovered in 1900 or something...

Alaska is much further away from any Russian interests than it is to US interests. There is nothing east of Alaska that is in the Russian SOI so there is no reason to keep it strategically... It's no good for launching an invasion from and is completely indefensible to the US if there was a war... and even if losing Alaska wouldn't be much skin off Russia's back it would be an embarrassment and a bargaining chip for the US in any settlement. So both pre and post gold rush why not sell it?

You make a good point. Still, post gold-rush, the same issues exist as prior - Russia will want to sell, but it's unclear if the U.S. would want to buy. Even though the UK and Russia were enemies, the Russia did try and sell Alaska to the UK in 1859, and they were uninterested. I think it would all come down to the whims of whatever administration happened to be in power when the Russians felt like making a deal.

Yes, and as we all know Tsarist russia has historically be very willing to compromise on territory, especially to avoid bad blood! If gold is discovered and russians move there, they ain't going to give it up (if only because of the possibility of more gold).

America is not going to manifest destiny Russian territory, no way, no how. Whilst I am perhaps more agreeable to the idea of the Russians selling it early on than some posters are, there is no way its happening post the discovery of gold. How the hell is America going to get legitmate claims over the interior? Legitamate means the international community recognises them, and if the Russo-American Treaty of 1824 still occured as per the OTL (in which Russians gave over their influence in the Oregon territory) then the US has explicitly recognised the Alaskan borders and would be very much in the wrong to try and take over.

If America starts a war over Alaska no one will be on their side, expect Britain and France to start sanctions, and Russia doesn't exactly have an inconsequential fleet on the Atlantic either.

Not to mention there is rather less precident for both filibustering and land purchase in this US's history.

@Eurofed, on Railroads: strategic demand drives exactly one transcontinental railroad, the first one. Once a line across the country is done and a pacific base is established, lines further north have no pressing strageic need and thus will follow population rather than drive it. Adding the railroad won't cause increased reproduction and any increase in immigration to the plains will be more than compensated by the drain off cause by the now easier to get to west coast. Thus we'll see northern tiers of the railroad system built at their OTL times (at best). Looking at those we see that the Americans tended to build the next tier north every decade or so the Northern Pacific (Chicago Seattle) in 1883 and the Great Northern (St Paul to Seattle) in 1893 (all the links only really done 1900), from that we can extrapolate that the next tier north in American canada should occur after 1893, and probably a decade after at least. This means the railroad will come to the Canadian plains fifteen years after the OTL occurence, the corrisponding delay in development. Even if you make the (IMO unsubstantiated) assertion that the earlier TCR will shift all the other rails forward despite the lack of population growth and the draining effect of the west coast, it'll still only get Canadian railroads 0-5 years after their OTL development.

Glen

I totally agree here, and think that Falastur was greatly exaggerating solidarity between 19th century European powers, and how much they would care about a colonial war between the USA and Russia about such a faraway place like Alaska.

So noted, so noted.

Glen

Glen, I am curious, what is to become of the great Filabuster that was William Walker in this TL?

"Walker was born in Nashville, Tennessee, in 1824 to James Walker and his wife Mary Norvell. His father was a son of a Scottish immigrant. His mother a daughter of Lipscomb Norvell, a Revolutionary War officer from Virginia. "

Father migrates to the DSA, mother stays in the USA - William Walker never born. Sorry.

So noted, so noted.

I have to disagree with Eurofed here, not that solidarity would drive the European reaction to an Alaskan invasion, its just:
a) Britain would really really hate such a precident
b) France and other continential european powers would be delighted at gaining favour with Russia for the minor costs of applying what would be very troubling sanctions to the US
c) Depending on how treaties have rolled out several European countries might have actual obligations to support Russia.

They won't go to war for Russia but the pressure they can bring to bear will be massively more than the American people and elite will be willing to endure for Alaska.

Glen

This thing is maybe quite to late to be asked, but I wonder what would've had happened had a) the Federalist Mexicans failed in reunifying their country ; b) US was able to interfere with Texas affairs.

Hmm... I think I missed this.

So, an alternate history question regarding our alternate history.:D

a) The country would have broken up. All of those Central American nations we knew IOTL would roughly form, including an early Panama. The Moskito Coast would likely have stayed a British protectorate and may have joined the DSA (not guaranteed, that). Yucatan probably would have stayed an independent republic with close ties to the British and the DSA. Texas would have annexed more of neighboring Mexico than it did ITTL, though not much more. It would also have supported neighboring Mexican break-away states as a buffer with Central Mexico.

b) Texas would have been annexed by the US, probably shortly after the outbreak of the Slaver Rebellion. With the British busy handling the rebellion, it would have been a fait accompli.

And if you combined a and b, it would have led to an every more ridiculously big USA!:eek:

Eurofed

Banned
I suspect that, if the Americans turned up and asked for a Most Favoured Nation agreement with Alaska, the Russians would laugh in their faces and say "who is America?"

Possibly. Although I would like to remark that if TTL America is regarded so little in Europe, then the European powers are going to ignore a war between Russia and America if and when it happens over Alaska. They are going to be bemused spectators, expecting Russia to crush the upstart and certainly not bothering to get involved, militarily or with economic sanctions. And they would receive a big surprise when America defeats Russia, as it happened OTL with the Russo-Japanese war.

OK, OK, I portrayed that badly, but I stick to my theory. The point is, it's different when the US is trying to attack European colonies. In OTL they didn't try it until the 1898 Spanish-American War, by which time they had had opportunities and the far side of 120 years to prove who they were and to make a name for themselves as a true growing power.

Actually, many Europeans kept being dismissive of American power even after the Mexican War and the ACW.

Not only is this an insult and a direct attack on Russia, but it's a statement to all the European "jocks" that America, if it gets away with it, intends to keep building a reputation "or, to go back to our actual scenario, "cleaning up those borders") by beating up the rest of their kid brothers too. After all, if Europe is going to stand by and laugh while Alaska gets picked off, why on earth should Europe feel surprised if America then feels empowered into attacking, say, French Guyana, or the Philippines, or Portuguese Africa, or even the DSA.

The Spanish-American War utterly failed to arise any panic of the sort you describe among the other European colonial powers, despite the casus belli for America was questionable if not flimsly to say the best, and wholly comparable to what America might use about Alaska. Not to mention that ITTL Spain has no more significant colonial holdings in the Americas, Britain is in the position to know much better whether American attitudes involve a threat on the DSA regardless of what happens in Alaska. Even France seems rather unlikely to care enough and pick a feud with America for the sake of French Guyana or a couple islands in the Caribbean. The idea that European powers might deem a Russo-American war over Alaska as proof that America is going to a global expansionist rampage on their colonial empires in Africa and Asia seems ASBish and bizarre. Nothing of this sort happened because of the SAW or the RJW. It's stuff for the 19th century equivalent of the technothriller, not serious diplomacy.

I know that a lot of reasons for war and conquest in this era were patchy and questionable at best, but there really were limits to how far you could push it. Claiming that you demand Alaska as compensation for your settlers being treated roughly because they were attempting to break the law in the first place is just going too far, and it would be impossible for the US to convince Europe that it was anything other than "nice territory, I'm taking it"...

So what ? European governments can look at a map, and say "oh well, America wants to grab some gold ores and tide up its continental borders in the Great White North, and its making up some excuses for it, it's something happening on the other side of the world and far, far away from our interests, let Russia deal with the upstarts, pass the popcorn". Really, nothing about this war is going to breach 19th century bounds of acceptable behavior between two powers going at war about a territorial dispute. I need to remind you that SAW got a ship blowing up under dubious circumstances as the American excuse, the European powers can easily see it was a blatant power grab of America on the Spanish colonies, yet nobody cared to do anything against the USA.

If you let the US get away with it once, then you should expect the US to start declaring that all European colonies are up for grabs, and it's this reason that France, Spain and the UK would consider threatening the US with sanctions.

You assume a degree of committment to upkeeping the international status quo that simply wasn't there for 19th century powers.

Remember, this US wasn't a powerhouse in this era, yet, so there's no reason that Europeans - especially France and Spain who have little reason to pay attention to the USA at this time - would treat the USA at this point as a serious nation worthy of enough respect to not warn them over such blatantly expansionist methods.

If they underestimate the USA so much, which is quite possible, the other European powers won't care to do anything, expecting Russia to crush the upstarts. If and when America defeat Russia, it shall win enough respect as to be regarded as a great power.

Eurofed

Banned
If America starts a war over Alaska no one will be on their side, expect Britain and France to start sanctions, and Russia doesn't exactly have an inconsequential fleet on the Atlantic either.

For all that we know, Britain has enjoyed a fairly friendly relationship with America about the DSA. They are the ones that have most to lose if they antagonize America wth something as heavyhanded as sanctions, and are in the position to understand whether America is going to turn a threat to the DSA or not, regardless and notwithstanding what happens in Alaska.

As for France, why they should bother ? They did not in 1898.

By the time a Russo-American war is most plausible to happen, America is also most likely going to have a Navy that dwarfs the Russian one, and in the Atlantic they would fight in or close to home waters, while the Russians would not.

Not to mention there is rather less precident for both filibustering and land purchase in this US's history.

Actually, this is not true. There have been the Louisiana Purchase, Rupert's Land purchase, the acquisition of Oregon-Columbia from Britain and Colorado and northern California from Mexico.

Even if you make the (IMO unsubstantiated) assertion that the earlier TCR will shift all the other rails forward despite the lack of population growth and the draining effect of the west coast, it'll still only get Canadian railroads 0-5 years after their OTL development.

ITTL it is quite possible and even likely that this USA are much more interventionist in economy than OTL, for various reasons, and keep a policy of substantial incentives and subsidies for infrastructure development, including railroads to speed up the settlement of the West and North.

Last edited:

Eurofed

Banned
a) Britain would really really hate such a precident

They would hate even much more to destroy a friendly relationship with the USA, which would then create a *real* and serious threat to the security of the DSA. Moreover, if things turn out anything like OTL, they are not really going to be unhappy if some other power gives a bloody nose to the Russians.

b) France and other continential european powers would be delighted at gaining favour with Russia for the minor costs of applying what would be very troubling sanctions to the US.

Except, you know, the ones that happen to be rivals of Russia. Sanctions were rather unusual stuff for 19th century international politics, and a colonial scuffle between Russia and America on the other side of the world is no ground for them. Nothing of the sort happened about the Russian-Japanese War.

c) Depending on how treaties have rolled out several European countries might have actual obligations to support Russia.

True. Nonetheless, it is quite possible that Russia cares not to invoke such alliance obligations, either for reasons of prestige, or because America secures alliance support of its own among Russia's enemies (as it happened in RJW).

Last edited:

Glen

During the early years of the Republic of Texas, one of President Jackson's major objectives was making real the tenuous claims to California Texas had made. The overseas route was lengthy, having to circumnavigate the entirety of South America. The main overland route, the Old Spanish Trail, was circuitous and felt to be vulnerable to snow in the winter. Jackson's government sought a way directly through the desert to the Pacific. President Jackson sent one of his staunchest loyalists and famous explorer, William Henry Ashley, to find a route as straight as possible from Albuquerque to the Pacific. Ashley was successful, blazing a route almost due west, with water sources no more than 20 miles apart! After crossing the Colorado at the Needles, he was able to link up with the Mojave Road, a native route that had spurs to both the Central Valley of California and down to Presidio de Santa Barbara on the Pacific Ocean. On reaching Santa Barbara, Ashley's party was held by the Mexican faction holding the region, but was able to convince them that they were American traders who had crossed the continent by the Old Spanish Trail. Ashley and his party were treated as heroes on their return to Texas. Ironically, it was the discovery of a more direct route to California that later made possible the sale of northern New Mexico and California to the Americans under the Brown Presidency, as before this the sale would have severed the only known routes from Texas to the Pacific.
attachment.php

This is the road being used as the proposed route through New Mexico and California for the DSA sponsored transcontinental railroad. And this reminds me that the site of OTL's Flagstaff, Arizona will become Ashleyville ITTL...

Last edited:
1) So, an alternate history question regarding our alternate history.:D

a) The country would have broken up. All of those Central American nations we knew IOTL would roughly form, including an early Panama. The Moskito Coast would likely have stayed a British protectorate and may have joined the DSA (not guaranteed, that). Yucatan probably would have stayed an independent republic with close ties to the British and the DSA. Texas would have annexed more of neighboring Mexico than it did ITTL, though not much more. It would also have supported neighboring Mexican break-away states as a buffer with Central Mexico.

b) Texas would have been annexed by the US, probably shortly after the outbreak of the Slaver Rebellion. With the British busy handling the rebellion, it would have been a fait accompli.

1) Yeah, I like that kind of thing :D

a. Figured as much. Texas I think will gobble the northernmost lands like Sonora, Chihuahua, and those immediately adjacent to Rio Grande river.

b. Really ? The whole Texas Republic instead of just California ?

That would make a rather weird territorial shapes, since there is Arkansas buffer between US territory and the Texas proper. And IIRC, Arkansas Indians was pro-British during the rebellion.

Oh right, you could have said earlier ;).

I just assumed on the border route because it requires massively less vertical relief as its not trying to hack through three extra mountain ranges, the bridges required at Yuma is considerably smaller than the one needed at the Needles, and water isn't the same logisitical issue for railroads as it is for road travellers.

Following the Texas roads direct path is actually rather infeasible, you have to curve and avoid a bunch of stuff to go in the same rough direction.

Hence why the Southern Pacifics was completed a decade before before the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway was.

Glen

On Alaska, I think there are basically three outcomes.

Let us examine them, shall we?

1. It is sold to the USA before the gold rush. Essentially, Alaska never turned a profit for the Russian Empire, and the reason it was sold to the USA wasn't because the UK was Alaska's immediate neighbor, but because the UK was a rival of Russia in many theaters, while the U.S. was not. The question, I think, is more if TTL's USA would want it. On one hand, they now share a land border with it (mind you, a largely inaccessible one), OTOH, they already have plenty of the great white north - all the trapping and whaling land they could want.

Well, given the close parallels to OTL, it's certainly one possibility. Having it adjacent to the US I believe makes it slightly more likely than it was IOTL.

2. If Russia and the USA end up on opposing sides in a war, the U.S. will likely win it. Essentially, supply lines are too long for Russia to hold Alaska, particularly if (or more likely, when) the US navy becomes stronger than the Russian navy. However, the USA wouldn't bother going to war just to seize Alaska. It's more something I think would be handed to the U.S. at Versailles-like conference after allied powers, even if the U.S. hadn't bothered to occupy it, as it's a logical way to cut Russia down to size a bit.

Fair enough, this would be possible - though one question that comes to mind is what would be the cause of such a war?

3. This provides a pretty strong chance that Alaska will stay Russian - provided Russia doesn't falter in a big way, and the two powers stay on friendly terms.

Ah, Russian Alaska until the present day?;)

Glen

If you would like to offer your name for use in the Dominion of Southern America's developing history, please respond here.

Well, given the close parallels to OTL, it's certainly one possibility. Having it adjacent to the US I believe makes it slightly more likely than it was IOTL.

Well, it gives them less of an economic interest in a purchase, but more of a national pride/military interest. I honestly think the biggest interest (gold rush aside) will probably be naval as time passes. It's not like it would really ever be feasible Russia or anyone else would stage a mass invasion through Alaska.

Fair enough, this would be possible - though one question that comes to mind is what would be the cause of such a war?

Well, we have a century or more of butterflies. Broadly speaking, I would say the most likely happenstance would be Russia and the UK ending up in a war on opposing sides, and the USA deciding to side with the British alliance. I could see, depending upon the circumstances, either the U.S. getting bought off with the promise of Alaska, or simply deciding it can't stay neutral in the Great War, and there was significantly less risk fighting Russia than the DSA.

Ah, Russian Alaska until the present day?;)

I don't see why not. If the U.S. passes up the chance, I don't think anyone except Japan would really want to bother with it. There is even less reason for Britain (or the DSA) to take it than IOTL - far worse supply lines, and keeps you exposed to future Russian retribution. It's the sort of colony (pre-oil) I could only see picked up by a second-rate power who wanted to burnish their national image. Plus, if/when Russia actually sends in settlers, given the native population is comparably small it will be easy to swamp them and make it popularly viewed as an integral part of Russia.

"Walker was born in Nashville, Tennessee, in 1824 to James Walker and his wife Mary Norvell. His father was a son of a Scottish immigrant. His mother a daughter of Lipscomb Norvell, a Revolutionary War officer from Virginia. "

Father migrates to the DSA, mother stays in the USA - William Walker never born. Sorry.

Noooo!!!!!

Ah well. Any chance perhaps of an analogue of some shape? Perhaps involoved in capturing Alaska?

Glen

?Are whe going to have the 1848 Revolutions? ?If So is there going to be any differences due to the DSA?

Looking into this now - short answer is yes (sorta) and yes.

?Any other Butterflies? Like -- Princess Charlotte lives = no Queen Victoria = Britain keeps Hanover -- ETC.

Actually, William Vth was crowned in the early 1830s. Hanover is still in personal union as of now.

Ie. The Great American Desert.

Yep.

Given sooner TC-RR I see the West Coast developing faster, and as it is Oregon AND British Columbia, it will hold a lot more Development.
Except for the Development needed for the RR, Whe may not have any extensive settlement of the Great American Desert till after the 1900's.
This may Butterfly away the Dust Bowl.

Yes, there is likely to be earlier development of the Pacific Coast. This will delay some the settlement of the 'Great American Desert' but not by much, I suspect. There's a lot of reasons to believe the Dust Bowl will be butterflied away - of course, other bad things can be butterflied in!:eek:

IIRC when the US bought it in 1867 [20 years on - from where TTL currently is ] there where less than 20,000 Russians in the territory.
This included the panhandle that is already the US, as is the Yukon ITTL.
ITTL with No Russian Pacific Coast/California Claims, I would doubt if there is even 5000 Russian in the Territory, and no increase going on.
IIRC the biggest source of tension between the US/Canadians and the Few Russian Officials in Alaska Pre purchase, was over Fishing.
Unless Glen really Butterflies Russia I doubt the Trans-Siberian would be built any sooner than OTL

Good points - you're probably right and Russian Alaska is less Russian at present. And yeah, so far there isn't a sign for a sooner Trans-Siberian Railroad - except perhaps the Russian holdings in Japan!

Re;Map - post 1362
?What happened to Newfoundland & Labrador?

Newfoundland is a US state, and Labrador is part of the US state of Quebec.