Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

Yes - but how many regiments did Canada send to the Crimean?

"While no Canadian units fought in the Crimean War, individuals did enlist and reach the battlefront. In fact, the first Canadian to win the VICTORIA CROSS, Lieutenant Alexander DUNN of the 11th Hussars, gained this coveted honour for his participation in the ill-fated charge of the Light Brigade at Balaclava on 25 October 1854"

There's a lot of reasons to believe the Dust Bowl will be butterflied away - of course, other bad things can be butterflied in!
My reading about the Dust Bowl, indicates a Environmental Disaster, due to Drought arriving per historical cycles. 1870 ~1900 [OTL settlement years] were abnormally wet.
If there is extensive settlement [Ploughs meet Buffalo Grass] across the American Desert, There will be a Dust Bowl.

Yes - but how many regiments did Canada send to the Crimean?

"While no Canadian units fought in the Crimean War, individuals did enlist and reach the battlefront. In fact, the first Canadian to win the VICTORIA CROSS, Lieutenant Alexander DUNN of the 11th Hussars, gained this coveted honour for his participation in the ill-fated charge of the Light Brigade at Balaclava on 25 October 1854"

Glen...Canada didn't have an army during the Crimean War. It only had irregulars. It didn't even have a militia until 1855, and militia units weren't supposed to be sent abroad according to British law. There wasn't any feasible way for Canada to send troops to the Crimea. Canadians enlisting in British regiments is of course a get-round, but it's not the same, as your quote identifies in the first 9 words.

In response to your replies to my comments on Alaska - fair enough. I think I need to go back and re-read TTL because I'm clearly having some problems remembering individual events. I had no memory at all, for instance, of the US invading Louisiana to annex it. I thought they bought it peacefully as OTL.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head the first proper deployment of organised forces from what became the Dominions was the Second Boer War 1899-1902. This is true for Canada as much as it is for Australia or NZ

Glen

My reading about the Dust Bowl, indicates a Environmental Disaster, due to Drought arriving per historical cycles. 1870 ~1900 [OTL settlement years] were abnormally wet.
If there is extensive settlement [Ploughs meet Buffalo Grass] across the American Desert, There will be a Dust Bowl.

The other suggested component to this is that it has been suggested that the massive increase in demand for US agriculture during and after WWI led to a large acceleration of the process.

Glen

Glen...Canada didn't have an army during the Crimean War. It only had irregulars. It didn't even have a militia until 1855, and militia units weren't supposed to be sent abroad according to British law. There wasn't any feasible way for Canada to send troops to the Crimea. Canadians enlisting in British regiments is of course a get-round, but it's not the same, as your quote identifies in the first 9 words.

Yep - now, the situation in the DSA is a bit different - I probably should write something up on that (will add to my list).

In response to your replies to my comments on Alaska - fair enough. I think I need to go back and re-read TTL because I'm clearly having some problems remembering individual events. I had no memory at all, for instance, of the US invading Louisiana to annex it. I thought they bought it peacefully as OTL.

I have to from time to time myself, so please do. It's the timeline that is great read again and again!;)

Yes and yes. The US and the British might do some territory swapping in such an ATL of the DSA to make it a prettier border, but that's essentially what would happen. And the Indians in West Arkansas are not so much Pro-British as anti-Southerner.:eek:

IIRC, I saw a part of this ATL that would have made a more compromisial solution possible, in the context of my non-canon hypothetical situation. If I wasn't wrong, the British initially didn't really interested to annex Texas, and it was only due to success of a Anglo-phile movement there that the British moved in.

Maybe if that still happened, but contemporareously with a US intervention, in a scenario where they were able to intervere, maybe that would've led to a partition instead.

Glen

IIRC, I saw a part of this ATL that would have made a more compromisial solution possible, in the context of my non-canon hypothetical situation. If I wasn't wrong, the British initially didn't really interested to annex Texas, and it was only due to success of a Anglo-phile movement there that the British moved in.

Maybe if that still happened, but contemporareously with a US intervention, in a scenario where they were able to intervere, maybe that would've led to a partition instead.

It is true that the British were not particularly thinking of annexing Texas - but when it fell into their laps, and had already caused so much trouble as an independent nation...

I don't see a clear scenario that would lead to a US/UK partition of Texas in such an Alternate History of the DSA.

It is true that the British were not particularly thinking of annexing Texas - but when it fell into their laps, and had already caused so much trouble as an independent nation...

I don't see a clear scenario that would lead to a US/UK partition of Texas in such an Alternate History of the DSA.

Why not ? US just didn't want to see Dixieland stretching from sea to sea and British just didn't want a troublesome neighbor. I would suspect that simply throwing California to US would satisfy both parties, not ?

Why not ? US just didn't want to see Dixieland stretching from sea to sea and British just didn't want a troublesome neighbor. I would suspect that simply throwing California to US would satisfy both parties, not ?

Well, being willing to accept an independent Texas isn't the same as being willing to accept an independent Texas at the expense of handing over to your rival the USA an area of land equal to roughly half its present size, non?

But perhaps, I guess.

Glen

Well, being willing to accept an independent Texas isn't the same as being willing to accept an independent Texas at the expense of handing over to your rival the USA an area of land equal to roughly half its present size, non?

But perhaps, I guess.

It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me as stated. If Texas joins either voluntarily, they are going to want to join en toto one or the other. If they were forced to do so, it would probably be one or the other doing the forcing - I just have a hard time imagining the scenario in this time frame where Texas would piss off Britain and the USA enough for a joint invasion.

There is only one scenario I see a partition in, and that would be a civil war in Texas between pro-US and pro-British factions that ends with a split in the nation and each part going their own way to be annexed by the US and the British.

Glen

father_christmas.jpg
The story of Christmas in North America is a tale of contrasts. It was not until the 19th century that Christmas first came to popularity, initially in British Southern America. Christmas was a popular public holiday throughout most of the British South, especially among the planter class and the more affluent. The scions of prominant planter families would eagerly await the arrival of Father Christmas on that day. Slaves would serve the master's family and guests on that day. The next day, Boxing Day, it was common practice for slaves to be given their ease, and they would exchange modest gifts that day. Many slaveholders would also give some sentiment to their slaves on this day as well. Later, in the Dominion of Southern America, Boxing Day would go out of favor as it was associated with slavery, but Christmas was embrased all the more.

While Christmas was slower to gain popularity in the United States, it lagged not far behind. Many of the intelligentsia of America feared that if American traditions for the day were not established, then the Christmas of Britain would take hold, a form of cultural invasion. Led by the New York school of writers and artists, Americans took the old traditions of the Dutch and amagated them with those of the English and others to form something new. In the USA, it would be Santa Claus (or St. Nick) who would children would dream of riding his reindeer drawn sleigh through the snow to deliver presents on Christmas Eve.
nast3.jpg

Glen

Thank you dear readers! At this point the DSA has the fifth most replies of all the timelines in pre-1900!

Glen

Thank you dear readers! At this point the DSA has the fifth most replies of all the timelines in pre-1900!

We are also the ninth most viewed timeline in pre-1900!!

(I have omitted famous quotes that never were from these stats as not a timeline.)

Glen

In the wake of the Slaver Uprising, several slaver plantations went bankrupt and were sold off, in many cases to loyalist planters who they had fought against during the civil war. However, there were also many British speculators who bought up plantations in British Southern America. Among them were a few who sought to bring tea cultivation as a business to North America. Perhaps it was inevitable that South Carolina, with it's warm climate and acidic soil, but even more to the point, large number of defeated slavocrats, would become the main area of tea cultivation in the early Dominion.
Tea_Plantation_in_Southern_India.jpg