Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

It is really a shame to see the Entente Cordial collapse so quickly and violently. Indeed, it seems that much of the old order and new friends established and enforced by the British throughout the 19th Century has suddenly turned on them. :(

I feel like for some reason America will finally step in and fight to defend its mother country, if nothing else. That this will finally be the war it throws its considerable might into.

Glen

It is really a shame to see the Entente Cordial collapse so quickly and violently. Indeed, it seems that much of the old order and new friends established and enforced by the British throughout the 19th Century has suddenly turned on them. :(

In a way that is exactly right. The old liberal order established by Britain leadership has failed to embrace the Malthusian cause. Britain's lack for doing so has required the Malthusians to overturn British preeminence! .

Awesome update, Glen! I can't wait to see just what unfolds from this rather drastic series of events. However,

...Thus early on the morning of August 10, 1934, known forever after as Black Friday, the combined ICEwing forces launched from ICEwing carriers and coastal ICEwing fields from Spain, France, Belgique, the Netherlands, and Scandinavia under the leadership of the French Navy launched combined air strikes on Royal Navy dockyards in Great Britain and Ireland, decimating the home fleet of the British Empire.

Did I miss something, regarding the not-French countries listed, about them wanting to attack the UK in the first place? I know Malthusianism is on the rise, but I think I skipped over some event where Britain got so isolated.

Glen

Awesome update, Glen! I can't wait to see just what unfolds from this rather drastic series of events. However,

Did I miss something, regarding the not-French countries listed, about them wanting to attack the UK in the first place? I know Malthusianism is on the rise, but I think I skipped over some event where Britain got so isolated.

This is the aftermath of the Subcontinental Crisis - the International Malthusian Congresses have increasingly called on the British Empire to back off of the United Nationalities of India, and even launched counter-sanctions against the British. They have been preparing to strike at the UK if they didn't leave UNI alone and embrace Malthusian ideals. The British declaring war against UNI and the Thuggies was the tripwire they had been waiting for, and this was their counterstrike. Those nations are the closest Malthusian national forces to the British Isles and thus participated in the attack.

The tenth of August. A day that will live in infamy.
Well, if I remember correctly, the Netherlands was one of the first places to embrace the Malthusian cause, so they were a given. I hadn't realised Scandinavia, Spain and Belgique were in on it too, but it's a while since this started.

This is a huge blow for the UK. The Home Fleet, or TTL's equivalent, will be badly damaged, and many of the dockyards will be too. I have no doubts about the loyalty of the DSA, but if the US looks to be in danger of falling to Malthusian ideals, they'll have to keep a significant proportion of their forces at home to counter any potential threat of invasion. If I remember the last map correctly, the war down under will be a logistical nightmare for all concerned.

How did the French Imperial family fare in the Republican coup? Were they all in the UK for the funeral?

Grim stuff, but good reading nonetheless. Keep up the good work.

Glen

The tenth of August. A day that will live in infamy.

Well, if I remember correctly, the Netherlands was one of the first places to embrace the Malthusian cause, so they were a given. I hadn't realised Scandinavia, Spain and Belgique were in on it too, but it's a while since this started.

True - they are indeed in it - most of Western Europe has succumbed to Malthusian Mania (oooh, that's good, may need to use it someplace).

This is a huge blow for the UK. The Home Fleet, or TTL's equivalent, will be badly damaged, and many of the dockyards will be too.

Exactly - the Malthusians know that the only way to take on the greatest Naval Power the world has ever known on a global scale is to strike first and hard at the heart of her power. Of course, I don't know that they counted on facing a British Prime Minister like Edward Thomas...

I have no doubts about the loyalty of the DSA,

Nor should you! The Dominion is loyal to the core by this point in history.

but if the US looks to be in danger of falling to Malthusian ideals, they'll have to keep a significant proportion of their forces at home to counter any potential threat of invasion.

True that.

If I remember the last map correctly, the war down under will be a logistical nightmare for all concerned.

Oh? In what sense??:rolleyes:

How did the French Imperial family fare in the Republican coup? Were they all in the UK for the funeral?

They were mostly in London. The ones remaining in France are under watch, but being treated fairly, so long as they don't try anything stupid.

Grim stuff, but good reading nonetheless. Keep up the good work.

Indeed - thank you for your support!

Glen

For those who want to get up to speed quickly or have a refresher on the world of the DSA, I will remind you that there is a 'Story Only' version of the Dominion of Southern America on the Finished Timelines and Scenarios Forum.

You can get most of what you need in terms of background from just reading Part V, but reading Part IV (especially the last half of Part IV) would give you pretty much everything you would need to understand the background of what is happening at this point in the timeline. I include links to all parts here as reference.

Dominion of Southern America Timeline Part I
Dominion of Southern America Timeline Part II
Dominion of Southern America Timeline Part III
Dominion of Southern America Timeline Part IV
Dominion of Southern America Timeline Part V

Glen

Electricity had been a hot topic of scientific discovery even before American Founding Father Benjamin Franklin first flew his kite in a lightning storm. There had been a debate as to whether there were two types of electricity or one type (or fluid as it was thought to be at the time) and Franklin subscribed to the one fluid theory, and called electrical charge from a paucity of the fluid negative, and charge from an excess of fluid positive. These terms promulgated through the Enlightenment scientific community and have remained to the modern day. A near contemporary of Franklin's, John Dalton later was the first to come up with the modern concept of elements being made up of indivisible particles for which he resurrected the term atom.

Ben Franklin & John Dalton
179px-Benjamin_West%2C_English_%28born_America%29_-_Benjamin_Franklin_Drawing_Electricity_from_the_Sky_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
194px-John_Dalton_by_Charles_Turner.jpg

As the 19th century progressed, it became more and more likely that there was an atom of electricity, and by the late 19th century it had come to be believed that it was in fact the negative charge that represented the presence of the atom of electricity, and was named the negatom (a contraction of negative atom). By the turn of the century it also became apparent that there was a positive atom of electricity, suspected to be equivalent to the center of hydrogen, for which the term posatom was coined. It was subsequently postulated that elemental atoms (called elatoms) were not in fact indivisable, in a sense, but rather composed of a combination of negatoms and posatoms. By the early 20th century it was demonstrated by bombarding elatoms with high energy particles carrying a positive charge and equivalent to a solium elatom sans its usual allotment of negatoms, that in fact elatoms were composed of an outer layer of negatoms, and that the middle of the atom, termed the centrum, contained the posatoms. The period between the Global War and the Population War saw a flowering of the sciences in the modern world, and as researchers continued to experiment on the nature of the particles composing the elatom, it grew increasingly likely that there was a third particle, one that didn't carry electricity, but just as massive as the posatom, that was also present in the centrum of the elatom. As it was electrically neutral it was posited that this particle might be a combination of negatom and posatom, which led to the coining of the term sumatom. It was shortly after the onset of the Population War that finally the existence of the sumatom was confirmed.

An Elatom of Solium demonstrating the
Negatom Shell and Centrum containing
two Posatoms and two Sumatoms:

Solium.png

Malthusianism is starting to become ASB, to be honest. The whole premise is rather hard to believe people would get THAT outraged about to permit an obvious "take over the world group", especially because this is the age of nationalism, where people WANT to outbreed the opponent.

But aside from that, it does make for a good 2nd world war. So I'm ok, I guess, about it. Just try to make your next big event a little more plausible.

(Also, when are you going to use my name?)

Last edited:
Hey, Glen! Glad to see your TL is alive and well-and yes, I'm also definitely looking forward to how this next *World War develops!

Malthusianism is starting to become ASB, to be honest. The whole premise is rather hard to believe people would get THAT outraged about to permit an obvious "take over the world group", especially because this is the age of nationalism, where people WANT to outbreed the opponent.

But aside from that, it does make for a good 2nd world war. So I'm ok, I guess, about it. Just try to make your next big event a little more plausible.

In Glen's defense, though, one could potentially go more out of left field in terms of plausibility in a TL-we can look at a good bit of the history of the *U.S. of DoD, or, even more so, the entirety of What Madness is This?(whether or not that's necessarily a bad thing or not is at least largely subjective) for a couple of examples. Both TLs are also fairly well-written and engaging, as well, but Dominion of Southern America has both that *and* it also tends to be pretty damn solid plausibility-wise as as well; something that I personally hope to emulate with Stars & Stripes and all of my other main works, especially as I consider his TL to be one of my main influences, especially these days.

Last edited:

Glen

Malthusianism is starting to become ASB, to be honest. The whole premise is rather hard to believe people would get THAT outraged about

IKR? Like it's almost as bad as people being willing to go to war over what is a better economic system?;)

to permit an obvious "take over the world group", especially because this is the age of nationalism, where people WANT to outbreed the opponent.

Not quite - we're over 150 years from the POD now, so things aren't as cut and dried when it comes to historical parallels.

Um hmm, we'll see what we can do...

Time will tell...

Glen

Hey, Glen! Glad to see your TL is alive and well-and yes, I'm also definitely looking forward to how this next *World War develops!

Glad to hear it! Thanks!!:D

In Glen's defense, though, one could potentially go more out of left field in terms of plausibility in a TL-we can look at a good bit of the history of the *U.S. of DoD, or, even more so, the entirety of What Madness is This?(whether or not that's necessarily a bad thing or not is at least largely subjective) for a couple of examples.

Great comparisons!

Both TLs are also fairly well-written and engaging, as well, but Dominion of Southern America has both that *and* it also tends to be pretty damn solid plausibility-wise as as well;

I am glad you think so.:)

something that I personally hope to emulate with Stars & Stripes and all of my other main works, especially as I consider his TL to be one of my main influences, especially these days.

I am humbled and flattered, my friend. Thank you for the kind words and rock on!:cool:

I like your clever renaming of subatomic particles. It makes sense that the word "atom" can be used to describe that particles within the atoms, and that what we call atoms would be given new names to compensate. Quick question, though. Where did the name sumatom come from?

Last edited:

Glen

I like your clever renaming of subatomic particles. It makes sense that the word "atom" can be used to describe that particles within the atoms, and that what we call atoms would be given new names to compensate. Quick question, though. Where did the name sumatom come from?

There was a theory that a neutron was an electron & proton added together, thus cancelling their negative and positive charges so here the neutron was named a sumatom as the sum of an electron and neutron initially which stuck.

Atom ITTL is a generic term for otl atoms AND subatomic particles.

Glen

Thanks to TheBatafour for nominating and HongCanucker for seconding the Finished Timelines and Scenarios version of Dominion of Southern America!:cool::cool::cool: