Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

The other Malthusian states haven't issued a declaration of war yet, though? I wonder how that will change in the next few updates. Oh, and at what point Russia will join the war.

Glen

Ooh! I didn't think I could feel this strongly about it, but I love your choice of names for planets and moons, and wish OTL used those. Four moons named after water gods. Venus, Minerva, and Juno (and sort of Earth) all named after females. A moon named after Minerva's owl. I love that owl And Romulus and Remus are much cooler and more iconic names than Deimos and Phobos.

Thank you for that glowing feedback!

Glen

PS, I just discovered you made me a super-awesome airship captain! A thousand thanks, Glen! Tusen Takk, in the tongue of the Scandinavians! Sadly, I was not aware of this at the time so didn't have the chance to thank you for my adventurous new career. It seems I wasn't on ah.com in September for some reason. Weird.

Now, I do have a question.

Does this mean that the illustrious Brede Kjerstein conquered the South Pole, or does it mean that the lessons he learned helped someone else in that endeavor?

He ran the airship operation but the overland team led by Lowe got the credit for conquering the South Pole.

PS - You're welcome!

Fair enough. That's more than I got in real life. Did he get to name a few things in Antarctica, though? I'm picturing Brede Kjerstein as a mythology buff, so he might want to name some places accordingly. I think Lintukoto would be a good name for a place with penguins, because in Finnish myth, it's the land of birds at the end of the world. Also, Ginnungagap (possibly one of the seas?), and Niflheim, from the Norse myths of Kjerstein's ancestors. And maybe one of the nice islands can be Nye Valdres (or New Valdres) after the region where the Kjersteins come from.

I'm half-tempted to make up a whole post about Brede Kjerstein, now that you made him a cool explorer. But I won't, because a) That's Mary Sueing to the extreme, b) I know he's a super minor character, c) I'm a busy man, and d) I don't want to waste your time by having you proofread someone else's post, when you're busy starting a giant war.

Last edited:
In what way? The USA has no entangling alliances...Washington would be proud!;)
Sorry for the late reply. :eek:

I just seem to recall one of the updates having the US voice support for Britain in their Crisis over India or something of the sort. I was probably exaggerating the extant.

Now that I have looked over some of the recent Updates, I can't find the mention. Idk, maybe I just didn't notice. Anyways, it would appear that neutrality is in America's future... Definitely see it leaning towards the Brits and Co., but who knows?... Keep it up Glen, I think my questions will continue to be answered as time goes on. ;)

Glen

Fair enough. That's more than I got in real life.

Snort! Very funny!!;):D

Did he get to name a few things in Antarctica, though? I'm picturing Brede Kjerstein as a mythology buff, so he might want to name some places accordingly. I think Lintukoto would be a good name for a place with penguins, because in Finnish myth, it's the land of birds at the end of the world.

That is awesome. We should totally do that - anyone have an idea what OTL area would be a good one to tack this name onto?

Also, Ginnungagap (possibly one of the seas?), and Niflheim, from the Norse myths of Kjerstein's ancestors. And maybe one of the nice islands can be Nye Valdres (or New Valdres) after the region where the Kjersteins come from.

I think we might find some of those, though I think some of those might be better for the Artic region.

I'm half-tempted to make up a whole post about Brede Kjerstein, now that you made him a cool explorer. But I won't, because a) That's Mary Sueing to the extreme, b) I know he's a super minor character, c) I'm a busy man, and d) I don't want to waste your time by having you proofread someone else's post, when you're busy starting a giant war.

You're funny. Whatever!:D

Glen

Sorry for the late reply. :eek:

I just seem to recall one of the updates having the US voice support for Britain in their Crisis over India or something of the sort. I was probably exaggerating the extant.

Yep -they are supportive, but they aren't in any sort of alliance.

Now that I have looked over some of the recent Updates, I can't find the mention. Idk, maybe I just didn't notice. Anyways, it would appear that neutrality is in America's future... Definitely see it leaning towards the Brits and Co., but who knows?... Keep it up Glen, I think my questions will continue to be answered as time goes on. ;)

They have been so far neutral like a giant OTL Switzerland...time will tell if that Splendid Isolation will last...

Well, I sure don't know which Arctic places to give mythical names to. I'm not as familiar with that area as Brede is. Is it too late to name Svalbard and Jan Mayen Island?

And I'm also curious if the United States will remain neutral, or take a side and learn to fight.

Glen

Well, I sure don't know which Arctic places to give mythical names to. I'm not as familiar with that area as Brede is. Is it too late to name Svalbard and Jan Mayen Island?

We will have to check.

And I'm also curious if the United States will remain neutral, or take a side and learn to fight.

Time will tell....

Glen

2016 Turtledove Nominations are now open. To see the list of nomination categories and their threads, go to the Turtledove Nominations Directory.

As a previous Turtledove Award Winning Timeline, the Dominion of Southern America is not eligible for nomination in the Before 1900 Category.

The Dominion of Southern America is eligible for the Finished Timeline category.

Maps, Flags, Graphics, & Quotes first posted in 2015 in the DSA timeline would also be eligible for those categories.

Characters appearing in the DSA timeline who had one or more post in 2015 would be eligible as well.

While this timeline would definitely NOT be eligible for a TLIA* nomination, it's sister timeline, TLIAD - "Butterfly Free" Dominion of Southern America likely would (though Meadow would have the final say on that).

Glen

The coup d'état in France had been long in the making and facilitated by the French Empire's centralized government, the inheritance of Bonaparte. While the elderly French Emperor found Malthusianism distasteful, the movement had been growing in popularity throughout the more progressive regions of France, and especially in the capitol of Paris. Having no real choice but to accept a pro-Malthusian Prime Minister, the honourable Alexandre Sartre, son of a prominent French naval admiral, the Emperor still had sought to act as a check against the more extreme tendencies of the French Malthusians. However, the forces of change seeking to prevent the horrors of a population crash had plotted for the time when those who sought to prevent a global crash would have to fight against the reactionary forces of the old order that refused to make the hard choices to save the world and humanity.

The time to strike was when the royals of the continent were pre-occupied with burying one of their own in London. In France, the military, especially the Navy through Sartre family connections, had been suborned and supported the declaration of the Second French Republic under Provisional President Sartre. While similar plans had been laid for the Empire of Germany, in part due to the more decentralized nature of that nation, the plans had not gone quite according to plan, and Germany was in turmoil. While not all that the International community of Malthusian leaders had hoped for, it still at least for the short term neutralized German involvement in the early days of the Population War.

The French Navy had for many decades worked with and trained with the British Royal Navy, as had most of the French military services. However, the British Royal Navy had always been seen as the more senior partner, unlike the more equal footing of the other services between the two nations, and the French Navy had something of an envious rivalry with their British counterparts. So there was a sort of perverse relishing of taking their intimate knowledge of the Royal Navy and using it to their advantage. Ironically, this involved using not classic naval power, but some of the newest weapons in the French armamentarium, the military ICEwing. Thus early on the morning of August 10, 1934, known forever after as Black Friday, the combined ICEwing forces launched from ICEwing carriers and coastal ICEwing fields from Spain, France, Belgique, the Netherlands, and Scandinavia under the leadership of the French Navy launched combined air strikes on Royal Navy dockyards in Great Britain and Ireland, decimating the home fleet of the British Empire.

HMS_Ark_Royal_attack.jpg

Glen

So right now we have Malthusians acting alot like OTL Progressives. Slowly implementing policies in hopes of changing the culture and society. However with an ideology like this it seems like it is only a matter of time before some Malthusian Party in some country decides to take the leap into more forceful actions such as forced sterilization and what not. This timeline's first world war was a war against Korsgardism. Is it possible that the next world war, if one is to occur, will be a war against Malthusians?
I wonder how the Germans and Prusso-Polish are looking at Malthusians. If they embraced it it would not be a big step to adopt such a military policy, given their histories. However it seems that it is more liberal countries adopting Malthusian policies, so I don't think the Germans, Prusso-Polish, or Russians are going to adopt Malthusian ideas. I could possibly see France going Malthusian.
Hmm, is my prediction of a world war between Malthusians and non-Malthusians coming true :rolleyes:
Is it happening? The Malthusian World War I predicted so long ago?

Well that is going to depend on what countries will be willing to side with the UNI.
So the Second Global War has begun.
Called it.

It is hereby duly noted that IchBinDieKaiser has been calling it and calling it hard for years!

It was soooo hard not to let it out of the bag how well you did!

This plotline has been planned since before the Global War, so it's good to finally be able to let it unfold.

Kudos to IchBinDieKaiser!!!:):):)

It is hereby duly noted that IchBinDieKaiser has been calling it and calling it hard for years!

It was soooo hard not to let it out of the bag how well you did!

This plotline has been planned since before the Global War, so it's good to finally be able to let it unfold.

Kudos to IchBinDieKaiser!!!:):):)

I graciously accept :D