Doctor In Distress

Thank you for reminding me of that story - one of the first I watched (after Destiny of the Daleks) as a young boy
My wife and I do that routine.
One of us will say the first line and the other says the second.
Most people who we say it about , do not realize that we just insulted them.

Watkins: Mr Nathan-Turner. I must ask you to control yourself.
JNT: I'm sorry your honour but that was a very insulting question.
Frobisher: I'll rephrase. Did you attempt to re-mould the show into something more akin to your way of thinking.
JNT: Of course. Anyone who reaches the top in their profession has their own ideas on how they want to make their mark.
Frobisher: Hmm....You were executive producer for 4 years. Did you plan on that.
JNT: No i had decided to leave after 2 years
Frobisher: Why didn't you?
JNT: I was persuaded to stay. (*)
Frobisher: I see. Why did you make the 6th Doctor such an unpleasant character?
JNT: I wouldn't say unpleasant.
Frobisher: I beg to disagree. In his first full adventure you had him strangling his companion. Hardly the mark of a hero.
JNT: All the Doctor's regenerations led to some kind of temporary mental instability which calmed down.
Frobisher: That has already been established. It was you who designed the 6th Doctor's costume?
JNT: Yes it was.
Frobisher: I have to ask...what were you thinking?
JNT: I beg your pardon?
Frobisher: I enquiring as to the logic behind creating a costume which looks like something that was put together from an odds and ends box of a theatrical costumier.
JNT: The sixth doctor was a very turbulent character and unlike any of his predecessors. The costume was made to reflect that. I have to say Mr Frobisher that is a slightly hypocritical remark from someone in a wig and gown
Frobisher: That may be your opinion Mr Nathan-Turner but it can be argued that the dress code we have reinforces the dignity of our work. Something which you totally failed to do with Dr Who!

(*Editors Note, The remark about JNT being "persuaded to stay" comes from this:
Richard Marson – The Life & Scandalous Times of John Nathan-Turner review – Entertainment Focus (entertainment-focus.com)

I have Classic FM on and its just played the 2005 theme tune of DW!

Interesting developments. Can't wait to see what you come up with next. I feel like JN-T will end up shooting himself in the foot (though who know, I might be wrong).

“If someone corrects you, and you feel offended, then you have an ego problem.” ― Nouman Ali Khan
It is a shame that under English Law the truth has almost no relation to the matter under discussion - JNT's reputation. JNT has been a fool to bring an action against the two actors. It will be his undoing, outside the courtroom. Inside, the matter is his reputation, not whether the charges are true or not.

JNT: Dignity? You stand there and talk to me about dignity? My dignity has been impugned. My career has been destroyed. My life has been torn apart. I spent 4 years trying to repair Dr Who, to stop it being a joke, to stop it being a disgrace. To give the show its pride back and for what? For two whining, worthless cunts to see fit to ruin my career just because they didn't have the sense to keep their mouths shut. Just because they were so thick and so selfish not to see my vision. Dr Who is bigger than them and and so am I!

JNT: Dignity? You stand there and talk to me about dignity? My dignity has been impugned. My career has been destroyed. My life has been torn apart. I spent 4 years trying to repair Dr Who, to stop it being a joke, to stop it being a disgrace. To give the show its pride back and for what? For two whining, worthless cunts to see fit to ruin my career just because they didn't have the sense to keep their mouths shut. Just because they were so thick and so selfish not to see my vision. Dr Who is bigger than them and and so am I!
Holy mother of God, it's hilarious how much he's undermining his own case here.

Holy mother of God, it's hilarious how much he's undermining his own case here.
From what I've read JN-T was a highly emotional character ready to lash out at any slight whether real of perceived. The defence's plan was effectively to set the by first slagging him off whilst he couldn't reply and then drawing him in and watching him explode.

Shaun Ley: The verdict when it came was inevitable. The jury found in favour of Colin Baker and the BBC. The closing remarks by the defence counsel Gerald Frobisher were damning..

"If you believe that John-Nathan Turner was a bully, a megalomaniac, stubborn and and unyielding in his approach as Executive Producer of Doctor Who then you must find for the defendant"

Looking back now it can be argued that JNT's outburst in his responses to Frobisher sealed his fate

Shaun Ley: The verdict when it came was inevitable. The jury found in favour of Colin Baker and the BBC. The closing remarks by the defence counsel Gerald Frobisher were damning..

"If you believe that John-Nathan Turner was a bully, a megalomaniac, stubborn and and unyielding in his approach as Executive Producer of Doctor Who then you must find for the defendant"

Looking back now it can be argued that JNT's outburst in his responses to Frobisher sealed his fate
"Surprise Surprise Surprise"

Mike Morris: It's 12 minutes past 8 on TV-AM. Its been a week since the end of the libel trial at the Old Bailey concerning our next guest Colin Baker. Colin had been sued by the former executive producer of Doctor Who John-Nathan Turner over allegations about his character. Colin won and is here now. Colin good morning to you. Congratulations.

Colin Baker: And a very good morning to you Mike as well as you Lorraine. Thank you very much.

MM: Now the last time you were here was over two years ago just after you and your co-star Nicola Bryant sensationally resigned from your roles as the Doctor and Peri. How do you feel now that its all over?

CB: Relieved is the best way of putting it. The last two and a half years have been very trying. The verdict was a vindication of our decisions to resign although given the choice we wouldn't have gone through the courts.

Lorraine Kelly: How is Nicola after the trial, she spoke very movingly about her own fragile state of mind.

CB: Nicola has quite rightly decided to take some time away from the media.

LK: She spoke about you took her to hospital because she needed help. Can you tell us more about that?

CB: With respect Lorraine, No. Nicola has been through hell and I'm not prepared to put her through more pressure. But to answer your first question she is well but very tired.

MM: When you resigned as Doctor Who did you imagine that it would lead you to the Old Bailey?

CB: No, I didn't. I expected there to be some response by Turner but the decision he took to sue me was a shock.

LK: You resigned for a set of reasons including allegations of bullying by John Nathan-Turner. As you just said you feel vindicated but do you think there could have been any other way of dealing with the crisis?

CB: The only other option was to let it continue and that was unacceptable.

MM: The response to the trial by the fans has been overwhelming. Now your portrayal of the Doctor was universally condemned. How surprised were you when you found out how much money had been raised to fund the legal proceedings?

CB: Speechless, utterly speechless. Its very humbling to think that people from around the world, from all walks of life could unite because of their love of a programme and I will never forget that and I just want to repeat what I said on the step of the Old Bailey last week. Thank you so very very much for the incredible support and yes even love that Nicola and I had. We will forever be in your debt.

LK: We should point out here that there are still some residual matters regarding payment of damages which is yet to be settled. This may sound like an odd question but what will you do with your share of the money?

CB: Nicola and I decided that whatever money we received in terms of payments and any residual money from the fighting fund will go straight to the BBC's Children In Need appeal

MM: A wonderful idea

CB: Thank you

MM: You and John Nathan-Turner were friends for several years before the problems started. I can see that your demeanour has changed slightly. What are your thoughts now about him.

CB: If I told you what I was thinking your switchboard would be jammed with complaints and I'm not going to lower myself to that level.

LK: We're running out of time so I'll finish by asking you this. Have the BBC been in touch about Nicola and yourself returning to the show?

CB: I haven't heard anything. I want the show to continue as do the fans but right now that is for other people to decide.

MM: I'm afraid that's all we have time for. Thanks for coming to talk to us Colin.

CB: You're welcome

LK: It's 8.20 on TV-AM.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colin Baker: I don't actually remember doing that interview
Shaun Ley: Really?
CB: Yes. Ive watched the interview several times but I simply can't recall being on the sofa.
SL: What happened after you left the studios?
CB: Marion was driving me back into London when I told her I wasn't feeling well. I had a lot of pain in my chest and was finding it hard to breathe. She immediately thought I was having a heart attack and drove me to the nearest hospital. I was examined and was diagnosed with severe exhaustion. Looking back now its clear to me that I had PTSD. I think what had happened is that during that time my mind had gone into some kind of survival mode. Now that the danger was over I had to deal with the fallout?
SL: You sought help?
CB: Yes. I was referred by the hospital's mental health team to a psychologist. He and I worked together for about 6 months and he was absolutely superb. I was in a hell of a state. Back then mental illness was still regarded as something to be ashamed of. Thankfully attitudes have altered in the last 30 plus years but looking back it was horrible. I still remember that Christmas. Marion and the girls had trimmed the house up beautifully as always and I just sat on the sofa not feeling anything....I can't imagine what my family were thinking but that God they were there...

(indistinct voices)
SL: I think we should stop there.
Director: Cut.

Last edited:
It is usually how things go in Court. The prosecution makes it's case and it is then answered by the defence. Most defamation cases are heard by a judge alone, rather than by a jury. That is because invariably the truth does not matter. A person could be a raving homosexual but what matters is their reputation and how they have been defamed (viewed by the public/media). That is I think the major difference between the US and the UK courts.
Prosecution is actually the plaintiff and the defendant is the, well defencdant

Chapter 4: Closure
I received a phonecall in early 1987 from Michael Checkland who was then BBC Director General. He came straight to the point. Doctor Who was coming back and he wanted me to return as Executive Producer. I have to admit I was shocked that he had called me directly and that I was being asked to come back. I asked him what I could do to with the show. He replied with three words.

"heal the wounds"

Philip Hinchcliffe 2019

Actually, Collin's Doctor and Peri have had a long and well loved career on audio with Big Finish for many years now.
Very true but this TL eschews the Big Finish line.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
LOOK WHO'S BACK
Doctor Who is to make a spectacular comeback with Colin Baker at the helm of the TARDIS. The Sun understands that the BBC are planning to make two special episodes to be shown this Christmas. Each story will act as a proper farewell for both Baker and Nicola Bryant who plays Peri. Details are scant but its believed that Baker and Bryant are to return to thank the incredible fans who supported them during the show's enforced hiatus.

Baker and Bryant originally stepped down in 1985 following tensions on set between the pair and the former producer John-Nathan Turner. JNT sued Baker for defamation but Baker sensationally won the case after exposing Turner as a bully. Our sources have told us that the decision to revive the show was made by BBC Director-General Michael Checkland in what is believed to be an attempt to end the saga...

Last edited:
I received a phonecall in early 1987 from Michael Checkland who was then BBC Director General. He came straight to the point. Doctor Who was coming back and he wanted me to return as Executive Producer. I have to admit I was shocked that he had called me directly and that I was being asked to come back. I asked him what I could do to with the show. He replied with three words.

"heal the wounds"

Philip Hinchcliffe 2019
From what I'm aware (I'm sadly not really acquainted with his episodes), the Hinchcliffe run of the show is held in pretty high regard by the fans, so I imagine the announcement that he'll be returning to produce Doctor Who will probably be very well-received by the fans.

Philip Hinchcliffe: The idea was that I would return for Colin's last series and the 7th Doctor's first series. I called myself the "Elastoplast producer".
Shaun Ley: Why just the 2 series?
PH: The court case was horrible but it did bring to the fore the inescapable fact that Dr Who in the 1980's had become a laughing stock and it had exposed some nasty realism. The show needed an almighty kick up the arse in fact several almighty kicks up the arse. British television was starting to change and the BBC was in danger of being left behind. The days of the old cosy BBC-ITV duopoly were numbered. There were more American series coming to the UK, not just Dallas and Dynasty but St Elsewhere and the like. Dr Who was rubber monsters and flimsy scenery. I agree to return with two provisos.
SL Which were what?
PH 1. That I and I alone would be responsible for the series with no interference whatsoever from the 6th floor and that 2. I would have my own successor as Executive Producer with me as Deputy EP and script editor and would create between us a smooth handover.
SL: I can tell there is a note of...not anger but firmness in your voice. I have to ask you if you were trying to settle some old scores from your previous time as EP in the 1970's?
(pause)
PH: Yes, Yes I was. Turner was an annoying little shit and I moved heaven and earth to prevent him from taking over from me. I begged George Gallacio to become the EP but he refused and I had to sit back and watch as the show I loved was destroyed by that piece of scum Turner. My intention Shaun was to ensure as far as I could that Doctor Who would never and I will repeat this never again sink so low.

Last edited:
The question of who should have taken over from JNT has been covered on a couple of threads before.
Phillip Hinchcliffe was the only name that i ever seen any one mention to take over the show.
Any one else that could have taken over from JNT?

The question of who should have taken over from JNT has been covered on a couple of threads before.
Phillip Hinchcliffe was the only name that i ever seen any one mention to take over the show.
Any one else that could have taken over from JNT?
There was Barry Letts.