Doctor In Distress

Chapter 1: No Choice.
31st March 1985

"Good Afternoon, earlier today Nicola Bryant and I tendered our resignations as Peri Brown and Doctor Who respectively to the show's producer John-Nathan Turner and to the head of BBC1 Michael Grade. The decision was one of the hardest in our personal and professional lives but the situation behind the scenes of the show made it inevitable. As you will notice Nicola is not here because she is too upset to talk to the media so she has given me her permission and blessing to speak on her behalf.

When I was offered the role of Doctor Who last year I felt an incredible sense of pride and honour to have been asked to portray one of the most loved and respected characters not just in the UK but around the world. Like many people I have watched the show with an almost religious fervour. I still have clear memories of watching the very first episode way back in 1963.

When John and I first sat down to discuss my portrayal of the Doctor we discussed primarily the character of the Doctor. He and I agreed that the personality of the Doctor would be vastly different to the way in which Peter Davison superbly played the role. We both expressed a wish that the Doctor should be a darker and edgier character whilst still retaining his strong moral core albeit buried under arrogance and bluster.

In retrospect the warnings should have started there. I was surprised when it was stated that my first story as the Doctor would be the last story of the series as opposed to the tradition of the regeneration at the very end of the series. Nevertheless I embarked on the role with great fervour.

But as production started of my first full series as the Doctor the cracks began to show. For a start I was very concerned with the quite frankly awful costume that the Doctor wore. I suggested that the Sixth Doctor's costume would be a dark blue frock coat and dark trousers to match the mood of the character. The multi-coloured monstrosity that I wore was John's idea.

As production wore on both Nicola and I became aware of the amount of violence and the poor writing of the episodes. The joy I felt rapidly faded in the face of an increasingly fractious atmosphere. John-Nathan Turner and I were close friends and I earnestly believed that that friendship would provide the core of the new show. But as the days went on the atmosphere became chillier and more volatile. It had reached the point that John and I only spoke where necessary.

The proverbial straw that broke the camel's back came during filming of the last story Revelation of The Daleks. I suggested that the costume of 'necrosing mourning' that the Doctor wore be adapted into something more suitable for the personality of the Doctor. John-Nathan Turner effectively threw what I can only describe as a massive hissy fit. He shouted at me and used every curse word imaginable.

Now I am capable as anyone of using foul language but it was when he turned on Nicola Bryant that I lost my temper. I stood in front of Nicola and came close to hitting John. I will not stand for language like that to a lady.

As you can understand Nicola was extremely upset and close to walking out. It was at this point that she and I decided to resign. We felt it to be our duty to finish the series first.

I know that many fans loathe my portrayal of the Doctor and I have tried to do the best possible job to keep the spirit of the show alive but have found it impossible to do so. Neither Nicola or myself wish the show to end but the current setup is disastrous. The only future for the show that I can see is a radical overhaul and to that end I am calling for John-Nathan Turner to either resign from the role or for the BBC to sack him.

To those people both friends and colleagues I say thank you for supporting me

To the incredible fans of Doctor Who. All I can say is I'm so sorry

Colin Baker

Last edited:
"What did John-Nathan Turner say when you told him you and Colin were resigning"
"I can't tell you, not even now. It still upsets me. What I will tell you was it was the most disgusting word I've ever heard"

Nicola Bryant "Death and Resurrection: Dr Who in the 1980s'" 2019

Good Morning Britain: 6th April 1985

Nick Owen: Welcome Back. Its a week ago since Colin Baker sensationally quit his role as Dr Who alongside Nicola Bryant after allegations of tension behind the scenes. The newspapers have been full of rumours and reports about the show's future. The BBC have not officially responded to our requests for an interview but in his first interview since his statement last week the current doc...i should say the former Doctor, the actor Colin Baker is here today. Colin a very good morning to you if I can call it a good morning. The first question I have to ask is how are you feeling this morning?

Colin Baker, And a good morning to you as well Nick and Anne. Truth be told I have felt better. It has been a very difficult week.

Anne Diamond: We should point out that we did ask Nicola Bryant who played the role of Peri Brown to come on the show but she declined as she was still too upset about it. Colin have you spoken to her?

CB: Yes, yes I have. I spoke to her last night and I do know she is watching this morning and I will speak to her later. As you just stated she is heartbroken about this but as I said in the statement last week we had no choice but to resign.

NO: Have you heard from the BBC?

CB: Not a word, well not officially. I had a phonecall from a friend of mine in the corporation who told me that the controller of BBC1 Michael Grade and the producer of the show John-Nathan Turner have effectively issued an edict preventing any discussion of the show and have even banned the mere mention of my name or that of Nicola.

AD: That's extraordinary. Its as if you and Nicola have been whitewashed from the show.

CB: I have to agree with that analysis.

NO: You referred to John-Nathan Turner as the root of the issues. Where do you think this problem started?

CB: It was John's megalomania. He joined the show way back in 1970 and worked his way up to become the producer in 1981. It was he who chose both myself and Peter Davison for the role. When you have one person in charge for an extended amount of time as he has I believe he became power-crazed and refused to listen to anyone's view. He was lord of all he surveyed.

NO: Now as you stated in that incredible statement last week the flashpoint was over the costume of the Doctor. Can we just get that picture back please?...Ahh there it is.

CB: What a ridiculous thing. It looks like its been put together by someone who was blindfolded. You said 'flashpoint' Nick but i think the costume row was the last of a series of arguments. The changes during my period were very jarring. For a start the show was now in primetime at 7 PM instead of its old cosy saturday teatime slot. Plus there was a shift towards more violence. One sequence that still sits ill with me is during an an early episode in my time when the Doctor kills someone by pushing him into a vat of acid and saying 'you'll forgive me if I don't join you'

AD: Good grief that sounds awful, and that was at 7 PM on a weekday evening?

CB: Yes, Now how can any child watching that not feel uncomfortable. Another issue that admittedly started before my time on the show was the fixation that John had with delving into the show's history and bringing back old villains such as the Daleks. Now obviously fans love that but when you start making the show a trip down memory lane you put off potential new viewers. Another issue was the plots of the stories. The writing was horrible and I would regularly say to John that they needed straightening up again he didn't listen.

NO: I'd like to turn to you specifically Colin. There were a few raised eyebrows when you were revealed as the new Doctor due to you playing villainous characters in the past, what was your reaction?

CB: Surprise, as you said I have made a career of playing bad guys. In 1974 I joined the cast of a BBC drama called The Brothers as character called Paul Merroney who was a city whizzkid and a very unpleasant character. I became the "man people love to hate" John wanted me to bring that devilment to the role of Doctor Who.

AD: How did you get the role of the Doctor?

CB; John and I were at the wedding of a mutual friend and it was my being the life and soul of the party according to John that got me the job....

NO: I can see in your face how hard this must be for you. Do you see a future for the show?

CB: The last thing I want is Dr Who to stop. Its an institution and loved around the world but it simply can't survive with John-Nathan Turner as the producer. I hope that the BBC will seriously consider changing how the show is run.

AD: Doctor Who is all about Time travel and other such weirdness. Is there any possibility you could return the show in the future.

CB: I can't answer that.

NO: Colin Baker, Thank you. The time is 18 minutes past 8...."

Last edited:
ROOM 101: 2002

Paul Merton "You were the head of BBC1 in 1985 when Colin Baker quit after one series. You've already said you don't like science fiction so when the news came through you must have thought all your christmases had come at once. Were you tempted to axe the series then and there?

Michael Grade (laughs nervously) "Err"

Audience Member "Tell us the truth Michael"

PM: "Please, I know there a few fans here tonight (sparse applause) who have long memories but give Michael a chance to answer"

MG: "Yes, It was my intention to axe the series then and there"

(Boos and hisses)

PM: Let him explain

MG: To be totally honest I hated Colin's portrayal of Doctor Who. It was utterly unlikeable; absolutely God-awful in fact. Plus I thought the show was too violent and for a few pointy headed fans.

AM "Bastard"

PM "As you can tell emotions are running high. You say it was a few pointy heads but I've done some research. The videos and DVD's of the show made £800,000 profit for the BBC last year so i have to say your analysis of a few pointy heads is a bit off to say the least"

(Applause)

1. The quote about Baker's performance and pointy headed fans is from this wikipedia article:

2. I have no idea how much money the Videos and DVD's made in 2001.

Last edited:
BBC Continuity Announcement 7th April 1985

"In light of recent events concerning Doctor Who the BBC have temporarily suspended production of the next series and a decision will be made in due course. This is BBC 1..."

Chapter 2: New Directions
"The day after the announcement i was in the office reading the papers. They were still full of the DW business. I would have preferred to have cancelled the bloody series outright but had been over-ruled by Stuart Young who at the time was the Chairman of the Board Of Governers. I was livid but couldn't do a damn thing. There was a knock on the door. It was my secretary Rachel.

"Sorry to disturb you Mr Grade"
"What it Rachel?"
"There's an important phonecall"
"Who is it"
"It's John-Nathan Turner, sir"

Rachel left, I picked up the phone
"Good Morning John"
"Don't you good morning me, what the fuck is going on"
"John, it wasn't my decision to suspend the show"
"You told me you'd keep me up to date. Instead I found out on a bloody continuity announcement"

"It wasn't my decision, it was the board"
"You expect me to believe that bullshit"
"It's the truth"
"No, the truth is you want the show to end. My job, my life has been ruined by you"
"John, please..."
"No, that's it, I've had enough. Baker has ripped me to pieces, i've had shit shoved through my letterbox and now you've stabbed me in the back. I quit!"

(Michael Grade, "Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time" 1999)

Last edited:
9th April 1985
"I have today started legal proceedings against both Colin Baker for slander and against Michael Grade and the BBC for unprofessional conduct. My integrity as a human being and my professionalism have been brought into question and I will not stand for it. Its my intention to uncover both the disgraceful way in which the BBC treats its employees and to bring Colin Baker to heel over his inflammatory remarks"

John Nathan-Turner

"There's an idea in legal circles that you know there's a writ because you can smell it. That's obviously not true but they seem to have a presence all of their own. It was the only thing that came through the letterbox that day. I just stood there and stared at it on the floor. I knew what it was, I'd seen them before but had only dealt with them from the side of issuing them but to actually receive a writ for slander was entirely different. I picked it up and went back into the living room.

The phone rang and my wife Marion answered it.
"Colin, its Nicola"
I took the receiver
"Colin, that bastard has issued me with a writ"

I just exploded with anger. I knew I was being sued and so was the BBC but why Nicola?
From that moment I stopped being Colin Baker, the actor. I (laugh) regenerated into Colin Baker the solicitor and Colin Baker the man

(Death and Resurrection: Doctor Who In the Eighties, 2019)

"This is a edition of the magazine that I never dreamed would have had to be written or an editorial that I never dreamed or writing but the extraordinary situation that has occurred has made it necessary.

We had just finished the March edition of the magazine when we heard the incredible news that Colin Baker had quit alongside Nicola Bryant. Now while its no secret that Colin's portrayal had been heavily criticised in the magazine in recent months we knew that this not his doing. I have met Colin on a couple of occasions and found him to be a charming and eloquent man. I like all of us had no idea about the turmoil that the man was going through. I don't know if either he or Nicola read this magazine but if they do then I would like to do two things on behalf of all of us here at DWM.

The first is that ask both he and Nicola come and speak to us when this horrible legal business has concluded. If they do not wish to take up our offer (and we would entirely understand if they don't want to) then we wish them all the best

This edition of the magazine is a special edition dedicated to the debate surrounding Colin and Nicola's decision. We have an extended letters section and have invited some of out most experienced contributors to weigh in on both sides of the argument. Obviously due to the legal proceeding that are on going we cannot delve into the facts of the case itself.

For the first time in the show's near 23 year history we simply don't know what is to come.

Alan McKenzie, Editor of Doctor Who Magazine May 1985.

If you want things to get even more spectacular, English law (IIRC) doesn't make the spoken/written differentiation between slander and libel. Libel is defamatory statements that are "published" that would take in the TVam interview and also opens up Nick Owen and TVam itself to legal action for not wrapping up the interview when it became clear Colin's statements would be defamatory.

Pretty sure JN-T wouldn't want to get into open court. Even with all the debauchery in the 1980s, the Colin Baker's lawyers would destroy his character and he'd be publicly outed as the sexual predator he is known as today, who gave people opportunities in exchange for sexual favours. Even if he won the court case, he'd lose everything.

If you want things to get even more spectacular, English law (IIRC) doesn't make the spoken/written differentiation between slander and libel. Libel is defamatory statements that are "published" that would take in the TVam interview and also opens up Nick Owen and TVam itself to legal action for not wrapping up the interview when it became clear Colin's statements would be defamatory.

I didn't think about TV-AM. As we know in real life the company was in dire straits at this time and any real libel case would probably have been the death-knell. I think it would best to butterfly this away by saying that JNT didn't think of suing.

Pretty sure JN-T wouldn't want to get into open court. Even with all the debauchery in the 1980s, the Colin Baker's lawyers would destroy his character and he'd be publicly outed as the sexual predator he is known as today, who gave people opportunities in exchange for sexual favours. Even if he won the court case, he'd lose everything.

This is a delicate issue so I will respond with a carefully composed response. While I personally find Turner's abuse to be disgusting the sad fact is that the story is based in the 1980s and its highly unlikely that anyone would have come forward and testify. The case will focus on Turner's psychology.

"Hello"
"Hello, Colin. It's Alan McKenzie from Doctor Who Magazine."
"Alan, please I told you if Nicola and I can talk we will"
"Its not about that. Have to heard of Celestial Toyroom?"
"What?"
"Its the magazine of the Doctor Who Appreciation Society"
"What about them?"
"They've sent us a letter. I'll read it to you:
'Dear Mr McKenzie. You and us have had our disagreements in the past over Doctor Who but this is an issue that affects us all. Over the last few months we have been in touch with our counterparts across the world about how we can possibly assist Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant in the upcoming libel trial. Obviously Mr Baker and Ms Bryant will have legal assistance but we simply don't know how much the proceedings will cost.

To that end we here in the UK along with our friends across the world have started to put together a fighting fund for the trial. We have set up with legal support of our own and using our existing posting and packing setup to create the fund. At first we expected a few donations here and there but we've been overwhelmed by how much has been sent in. At the time of writing this letter we have raised "£5713 and 87 Pence" although by the time you read this this amount will have increased. If the trial goes in their favour then whatever monies raised minus any administrative fees will be donated to charities of Colin and Nicola's choice.

We would appreciate it if you could contact Colin and Nicola to inform them of what we have done. We here at DWAS know that the faults don't lie with Colin and Nicola (and yes we have been pretty scathing of both their performances) and are ready to help.'"

Yours Sincerely

(pause)

"Colin...are you there?"

(Quiet sobbing)

All these years on it still makes me well up. That people around the world, total strangers would give their money to someone who they only knew on a tv show to fight a libel case. Everything changed from that moment. I wasn’t just defending myself and Nicola i was fighting for the fans. I’ll never forget for as long as I live
(Death and Resurrection 2019)

IANAL but wouldn't JNT's solicitors suggest that suing Bryant for defamation will be a bit tricky, when she hasn't made any statements about him at all?