Do you prefer to read timelines which tend towards dystopia or towards utopia?

I am asking this question in this forum because it gets the most viewers.

Do you prefer to read timelines in which the world is better place or a worst place than in OTL, and why?

I prefer timelines that try for a balance of different over better or worse. In a clear choice, I prefer well constructed utopias as they're by far the hardest to pull off.

I'm not interested in out-and-out utopias. In particular, timelines of the "my favorite politician is elected and fixes everything forever" genre are highly uninteresting. But I strongly prefer timelines that tend towards the utopian rather than dystopian. There are exceptions, like AWOLAWOT. But a lot of dystopian writing just seems lazy, and I don't read alternate history to be depressed. I have the news for that.

I would go for an other way. I like AHs best, in which the authors try to create as realistic scenarios as possible. The changes and the history should be comprehensible. And if there is somewhat like a "red thread" as we germans say which you can followit can be dystopic or utopic, that doesn't matter in that case.

I don't really aim for either in my ATLs as my methodology is to try to replicate the effects of real history (of course as the author this is necessarily imperfect but eh). However in terms of READING, definitely dystopia. to me aiming for that kind of specific result makes a TL into a sort of author tract and those things are boring. :rolleyes::p

Deleted member 40957

I think it's realism and writing quality that count, above the actual content of the timeline. Utopian, dystopian and "moderate" AH can all be done well as long as they're within the realm of possibility. Reds! and Cuban Missile War are both excellent despite being on opposite ends of the spectrum.

I guess dystopia, I'm a gloom and doom kind of boy in real life too, though really looking at OTL who's to say whats dystopian :p

Like others have said I've no preference as long as the TL is well written and plausible. Admittedly dystopias tend to have more shock effect such as Anglo-American/Nazi War but Utopias can be as interesting if done right.

I'm a fan of a healthy balance-- it isn't interesting to read something that's only success without any conflict, and vice versa (though both can be pulled off).

I thought I hated utopian ATL's until I came across Reds!. What I love about that timeline is, yeah, it's utopian, the second American revolution makes generally the right decision every time and never falls off the rails like the OTL Russian and French revolutions did...but mistakes are still made, shit gets pretty dark in the ATL 1930's, and the resulting semi-utopian society is kind of eerie and uncomfortable and I'm not even sure I would want to live in it.

Although I prefer Timelines which maintain a healthy balance, in general I prefer reading those which are dystopian or at least worse then OTL. No idea why, but cynicism is really drilled deep in my skull (personally I blame being raised on "Horrible Histories"), and enjoy my entertainment being similar.

When I am reading, I like plausibility and a good plot and don't mind if it
does not have a happy ending. As an eternal optimist I always write TLs where the good guys always win. In after 1900, that means the US and it's
allies and the Democratic Party. One day I realized that as an alternative historian I had developed fine skills on looking on the bright side. A friend and I were talking about a football game. ( We were playing visitors, our archrivals) At the two minute warning, we had a narrow lead. The opposing quarterback threw a beautiful hail Mary pass, which was intercepted by a member of our team. Once in passion of the ball our team
piddled around and ran up the clock. I looked back on that scene and said wouldn't it have been great if the guy who caught the ball could have run eighty yards for a touchdown. My friend looked at me and said don't be greedy!

I'm not interested in out-and-out utopias. In particular, timelines of the "my favorite politician is elected and fixes everything forever" genre are highly uninteresting. But I strongly prefer timelines that tend towards the utopian rather than dystopian. There are exceptions, like AWOLAWOT. But a lot of dystopian writing just seems lazy, and I don't read alternate history to be depressed. I have the news for that.

You sir/madam have just been sigged.

While there is some sort of morbid attraction to mushroom filled timelines, I prefer timelines where world ends up a better place. It makes me very sad to think of all the opportunities that were missed to bring this about.