Discussion: Leopold of House Saxe-Coburg-Saafield as Emperor of Mexico?

My first Post Thread! Have Mercy Plz!

Now this might be more as a major imperial mexico wank. However is it possible for Leopold (IOTL Leopold I of Belgium) to accept the the throne of Mexico? If so, what would have to be changed in order to do so? Granted most what I know of Leopold is from Wikipedia, and from Earl Marshal's timeline, Pride Goes Before a Fall: A Revolutionary Greece Timeline.

Last edited:
My first Post Thread! Have Mercy Plz!

Now this might be more as a major imperial mexico wank. However is it possible for Leopold (IOTL Leopold I of Belgium) to accept the the throne of Mexico? If so, what would have to be changed in order to do so? Granted most what I know of Leopold is from Wikipedia, and from Earl Marshal's timeline, Pride Goes Before a Fall: A Revolutionary Greece Timeline.
You'd need a pretty strong POD to get a Catholic Mexico to accept a Protestant king (Leopold remained a Protestant until he died). Probably something that involves him being the British candidate (which requires him to marry Charlotte and her to die as OTL but also requires Britain to be a LOT more interested in Mexico - and vice versa - than OTL).
Mexican Congo anyone?
I always find suggestions like this - that no matter what crown Leopold gets, that country will end up controlling the Congo or that his son will end up being the...piece of work...he was OTL - fairly ridiculous and frankly annoying.

If Leopold becomes king of anywhere besides Belgium, the chances of him marrying Louise d'Orléans is pretty damn small. Likelier is that she either ends up as wife no. 2 for Pedro I/IV or wife no. 4 for Fernando VII.

Leopold as emperor/king of Mexico would probably marry someone Spanish or with a Spanish mother. Assuming Fernando VII still forbids his brothers from accepting the crown, that limits it to a Portuguese, Parmese or Neapolitan infanta (an Austrian archduchess would be deemed "too good" for a mere prince of Coburg and really the only way I could see it is if D. Leopoldina survives, and Austria has an interest in Mexico for some reason). Its important to remember that by the time of his marriage to Louise d'Orléans the persons who had helped arrange his marriage to Princess Charlotte (Ekaterina Pavlovna, Karoline of Brunswick, and the duke of York) were all dead. Leopold marrying Louise was something of best-for-both: if her dad was deposed by a new revolt or Charles X came back, France still had a tie to Belgium (and England) as Louise was the only one of the Orléans clan that Madame Royal and the duchesse de Berri both still held in any esteem after July 1830. Leopold's throne was unsteady until the end of the decade, so if he was deposed by the Dutch he had a place to land (Paris, since the British despised him. Mostly they saw him as a parasite because he was still drawig the allowance he'd been allotted as Charlotte's husband, still kept house at Claremont etc, all of which the average Briton was paying for. ISTR from one bio that many Britons were thoroughly disgusted at him using moneys from this allowance to pay the expenses of his court in Brussels. This opinion of a parasite was the legacy Albert had to deal with and why he was "bound and gagged" far worse than Leopold had been). To my mind all the Cobirg men (Leopolds I and II, Albert, Fernando II of Portugal, Ernst I/II of Coburg, Fernando's brother and nephew) were bloody parasites that should've been dragged out into the street and shot. Leopold I would've done no differently with Charlotte what his nephews did with Victoria/Maria II/what they would've done with Isabel II had that marriage gons through: keep her pregnant so that they can rule. And if she dies as a result (Maria II), hey, so much the better.

I always find suggestions like this - that no matter what crown Leopold gets, that country will end up controlling the Congo or that his son will end up being the...piece of work...he was OTL - fairly ridiculous and frankly annoying.
I made a comment in jest as thread lacked substance. Guess it didn't land.
If Leopold becomes king of anywhere besides Belgium, the chances of him marrying Louise d'Orléans is pretty damn small. Likelier is that she either ends up as wife no. 2 for Pedro I/IV or wife no. 4 for Fernando VII.
Both of which would be rather interesting. That being said, who o you suppose ends up as King of the Belgians?
Leopold as emperor/king of Mexico would probably marry someone Spanish or with a Spanish mother. Assuming Fernando VII still forbids his brothers from accepting the crown, that limits it to a Portuguese, Parmese or Neapolitan infanta (an Austrian archduchess would be deemed "too good" for a mere prince of Coburg and really the only way I could see it is if D. Leopoldina survives, and Austria has an interest in Mexico for some reason). Its important to remember that by the time of his marriage to Louise d'Orléans the persons who had helped arrange his marriage to Princess Charlotte (Ekaterina Pavlovna, Karoline of Brunswick, and the duke of York) were all dead. Leopold marrying Louise was something of best-for-both: if her dad was deposed by a new revolt or Charles X came back, France still had a tie to Belgium (and England) as Louise was the only one of the Orléans clan that Madame Royal and the duchesse de Berri both still held in any esteem after July 1830. Leopold's throne was unsteady until the end of the decade, so if he was deposed by the Dutch he had a place to land (Paris, since the British despised him. Mostly they saw him as a parasite because he was still drawig the allowance he'd been allotted as Charlotte's husband, still kept house at Claremont etc, all of which the average Briton was paying for. ISTR from one bio that many Britons were thoroughly disgusted at him using moneys from this allowance to pay the expenses of his court in Brussels. This opinion of a parasite was the legacy Albert had to deal with and why he was "bound and gagged" far worse than Leopold had been). To my mind all the Cobirg men (Leopolds I and II, Albert, Fernando II of Portugal, Ernst I/II of Coburg, Fernando's brother and nephew) were bloody parasites that should've been dragged out into the street and shot. Leopold I would've done no differently with Charlotte what his nephews did with Victoria/Maria II/what they would've done with Isabel II had that marriage gons through: keep her pregnant so that they can rule. And if she dies as a result (Maria II), hey, so much the better.
I learn new things every day. What about a Braganza match?