Dirty Laundry: An Alternate 1980s

Inspired by The Walkman's latest awesome update,we flash forward to February 25, 1986, just in time for the 28th Annual Grammy Awards, live from the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California. [1] For the second straight year, both the #1 song (Glenn Frey’s “The Heat Is On”) and the #1 album (Resurrection Day, by Motley Crue) were shut out at the Grammys. Indeed, the major awards were swept by British rock band Dire Straits.

Just like the academy to shut the best artists of the year out. But to be fair, Dire Straits are a talented group. And hey, at least it's better than Christopher Cross' "Sailing" sweeping the awards in 1981...

[15] There are too many changes here to list, so you might want to give the original list a look if you like that sort of thing. “The Heat is On” was #19 IOTL despite peaking at #2; that makes it a shoo-in for #1 in the Dirty Laundryverse despite some very stiff competition from “Code of Silence.”

I predicted "Code of Silence" would be the #1 song, so despite being wrong, I wasn't too far off. Since it hit #1 for three weeks and it was tied with one of the top TV shows of '85, I can definitely see why "The Heat is On" gets the nod. The top 50 look pretty solid, with the exception of one Eddie Murphy. ;)

One shocker to me is the absence of Whitney Houston on the list. I guess her debut is kind of overshadowed by the rock scene ITTL, but even so, I can see the big-time R&B fans rallying around her as the 'future' of that genre.

Oh, and for future reference: Billboard usually cuts off their 'Year-End' charts at around the beginning of December, so some of the songs that look like they hit their peak late in the year like "The Test of Time" probably won't have enough 'oomph' to make it to the Year-End charts until the following year. Then again, maybe I'm just nitpicking. :p

Good lord, that commercial just reeks of '80s cheese. It makes me want a cup of coffee really bad; and I never drink coffee! :rolleyes:

Alright, something I learned recently:

I've been looking into David Bowie lately, as I do have an interest in him but little knowledge. It seems the 80s were a bit of a lost period for him, where he was concerned following the release of 1983's "Let's Dance" album lead him to worry about retaining the new audience he had gained.

The success of the album surprised Bowie, who felt he had to continue to pander to the new audience he acquired with the album. This led to Bowie releasing a series of albums in the 1980s that were, despite their commercial success, critically dismissed. Bowie would form the hard rock and grunge-predecessor band Tin Machine in 1989 in an effort to rejuvenate himself artistically.

One noteworthy casualty was "Loving the Alien", whose pop production overshadowed the depth of the lyrics, and which Bowie later threw under the bus once the 80s era was over, as you can see here.

Mind you, Bowie was big in the 80s, so much so that despite being a late 60s/70s era artist in his late 30s during the early 80s, he was part of the campaign to sell MTV. Though there were quite a few artists from the 60s and 70s still selling big in the 80s (the Beatles probably would have done it too had they reunited), Bowie seemed quite a bit hipper.

It would be an area of interest to see how alternate Bowie pans out.

I'll get to everyone else's questions soon, but:

Oh, and for future reference: Billboard usually cuts off their 'Year-End' charts at around the beginning of December, so some of the songs that look like they hit their peak late in the year like "The Test of Time" probably won't have enough 'oomph' to make it to the Year-End charts until the following year. Then again, maybe I'm just nitpicking. :p

No, you're exactly right. For some reason, I'd written down "The Test of Time" as hitting #1 in late November -- which is why it's lower than every other #1 song of 1985 -- whereas it's clear from the prior release data that it doesn't chart until late December. So you're right, and I'm wrong. :)

Of all the toys you mention, this is the one which I think will come to be most strongly identified with its time (not surprising, as it's a spinoff of the Rubik's Cube). A soccer ball you can disassemble and rebuild yourself really does seem 1980s - on the flipside, I can see this harming the already fragile reputation of the beautiful game stateside - the major soccer league has been shuttered and now it's been reduced to being taken apart and put back together by little kids all over the country.
That's... not how the Impossiball works...

No, you're exactly right. For some reason, I'd written down "The Test of Time" as hitting #1 in late November -- which is why it's lower than every other #1 song of 1985 -- whereas it's clear from the prior release data that it doesn't chart until late December. So you're right, and I'm wrong. :)

Like I said, it's nitpicking, but it gives a little sense of realism when you do it right. :)

Oh, and will we ever get info about the upcoming Space Shuttle Challenger launch?

This might butterfly away the Challenger disaster, since NASA let it take off even though the designers of the O-ring warned against taking off in cold conditions.

As a side note...

Andrew T, have you heard of a TL called Protect and Survive? I'd like to see a crossover story between that and Dirty Laundry to see Henley's reaction to the aftermath (since Longview wasn't mentioned as being hit, he'd likely be unharmed). I could just see him cursing Reagan and Ogarkov for letting the situation get out of hand while helping to tend to survivors at Gilmer High School...

Waiting for the next update, eagerly.

Night Stalker

Richard Ramirez
from *Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the serial killer. For the noise musician, see Richard Ramirez (musician).

Ricardo Leyva "Richard" Muñoz Ramírez (February 29, 1960 – September 1, 1985) was an American serial killer, rapist, and burglar. [1] An avowed Satanist, Ramirez's highly publicized home invasion crime spree terrorized the residents of the greater Los Angeles area, and later the residents of the San Francisco area, from April 1984 until August 1985. Prior to his capture, Ramirez was infamously dubbed the "Night Stalker" by the news media. Ramirez was identified, surrounded, and beaten to death the day after his mug shot was broadcast on national television and printed on the cover of every major newspaper in California. [2] Ramirez's crimes are considered (by whom?) to have contributed to the so-called War On Satanism in the 1980s. [3]

Contents
1. Early Life
2. "Night Stalker" crimes
3. Identification and Death
4. See also

Early Life

Ramirez was born in El Paso, Texas, on February 29, 1960, the youngest of Julian and Mercedes Ramirez's five children. His father, a policeman who later became a laborer on the Santa Fe railroad, was a hard-working man prone to fits of anger that often resulted in physical abuse. As a child, Ramirez sustained two serious head injuries. When he was two years old, a dresser fell on top of him, causing an injury to his forehead that required thirty stitches to close. When he was five years old he was knocked unconscious by a swing at a park. He would later experience frequent epileptic seizures, which eventually stopped when he was in his early teens.

When he was twelve, Ramirez became strongly influenced by his older cousin Miguel ("Mike") Ramirez, a decorated Green Beret combat veteran who often boasted of his gruesome exploits during the Vietnam War and showed him Polaroid pictures of his victims. These included pictures of Mike raping Vietnamese women; and some of them showed Mike posing with the severed head of a woman he had abused. In 1986, Jacob Aranza argued that Mike was a Satanist on the "Focus on the Family" radio broadcast; no psychologist or cultural anthropologist corroborated Aranza's claims. [4]

Ramirez witnessed Mike murder his wife, Jessie, when he shot her in the face with a .38 caliber revolver during a domestic argument on May 4, 1973. After the murder, the young Ramirez became sullen and withdrawn from his family and peers. He dropped out of school and adopted odd sleeping habits. Having been found not guilty of Jessie's murder by reason of insanity (with his combat record being a mitigating factor) Mike was released after four years of incarceration at the Texas State Mental Hospital, in 1977; and his influence over Richard continued. Ramirez eventually settled permanently in California at the age of twenty-two and became a member of the Church of Satan. [5]

Night Stalker Crimes
Main article: Night Stalker crimes and connection to organized Satanism. [6]

Ramirez's first known murder was of 79-year-old Jennie Vincow on June 28, 1984. Vincow, who was found brutally murdered in her apartment in Glassell Park, had been stabbed repeatedly while asleep and her throat was slashed so deeply that she was nearly decapitated. In the documentary Satan's Henchman, the re-enactment of the scene involved a young Ramirez putting a cassette tape of the song "Hotel California" by the Eagles and murdering Vincow while the music plays the lines "they stab it with their steely knives/ but they just can't kill the Beast." Although the fictional scene was not corroborated by police investigating the crime scene, the song came to be associated with the Night Stalker. [7]

Ramirez invaded the homes and attacked 25 additional victims in the greater Los Angeles area, killing 12 of his victims. Of the survivors, many independently emphasized the Satanic nature of Ramirez's crimes, such as his insistence that they "swear on Satan" as to the location of various valuables in the house. [8]

In mid-August, Ramirez, who had been following the media coverage of his crimes, left the Los Angeles area and headed to the San Francisco Bay area. [9] On August 18, 1985, Ramirez entered the home of Peter Pan, aged sixty-six, and killed the sleeping man with a gunshot to his temple from a .25 caliber handgun. Pan's wife, Barbara, 62, was beaten and sexually violated before being shot in the head and left for dead. At the crime scene Ramirez used lipstick to scrawl a pentagram and the phrase "Jack the Knife" on the bedroom wall. Some theologists have claimed that "Jack the Knife" is a specific Satanist ritual, although Stanton LaVey, son and grandson [10] of Anton LaVey and current High Priest of the Church of Satan, claims that no such ritual exists. [11]

After the Pan attacks, the next big break in the case came on August 24, 1985. Ramirez traveled 50 miles south of Los Angeles to Mission Viejo, and broke into the Mediterranean Village apartment of Bill Carns, 29, and his fiancée, Inez Erickson, 27. Ramirez shot Carns in the head and raped Erickson. He demanded she swear her love for Satan and afterwards, forced her to perform oral intercourse on him. He then tied her and left. [12]

Identification and Death

After Ramirez left Carns's apartment, Erickson struggled to the window and saw the car Ramirez was driving -- an orange Toyota station wagon. Erickson was able to give a description of both Ramirez and his vehicle to the police, which was soon broadcast on the local and national news. A witness later identified the car from news reports and wrote down half its license plate number. The stolen car was found on August 28, and police were able to obtain one fingerprint that was on the mirror of the vehicle. The prints belonged to Richard Muñoz Ramirez, who was described as a 25-year-old drifter from Texas with a long rap sheet that included many arrests for traffic and illegal drug violations. [13]

On August 30, police released Ramirez's mug shots to members of the media, which were subsequently broadcast on national television and printed on the cover of every major newspaper in California. The next day Ramirez was spotted trying to steal a car in East Los Angeles, chased, and beaten to death by an angry mob. Police intervened and broke up the mob, and an unconscious Ramirez was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital, where he subsequently died from his injuries. [14]

See also

• Satanism
  • War on Satanism in the 1980s
  • Crime in California
  • Notorious serial killers
  • Rise of vigilantism in the U.S. [15]

----------
NOTES:

[1] As OTL.

[2] IOTL, Ramirez was surrounded by a mob in East L.A. while trying to steal a car and beaten severely; here, they finish the job.

[3] As predicted by sharp-eyed reader Unknown back in post #614. Also, you might note that what we call the "Satanic Panic" has a slightly different name ITTL....

[4] Mostly as OTL, except that no one ever called Miguel Ramirez a Satanist IOTL.

[5] Mostly as OTL, except for the additional Satanism note.

[6] No such article exists IOTL.

[7] IOTL, police obtained DNA evidence in 2009 linking Ramirez to the April, 1984 murder of 9-year-old Mei Leung, which would have made her -- not Vincow -- his first known murder. (I am not resolving at this time whether this evidence is not uncovered, or this *Wikipedia entry is taken from before 2009.) Also: the movie Satan's Henchman and the supposed connection to "Hotel California" are ATL.

[8] As OTL.

[9] Also as OTL.

[10] Stanton LaVey is the acknowledged grandson of Anton LaVey through his daughter Zeena; it's a popular claim among those who are still concerned about Satanism that Anton raped Zeena, which would make Stanton both his son and grandson. Needless to say, IOTL, Wikipedia makes no such assertion.

[11] No such ritual exists. But just try editing *Wikipedia in the Dirty Laundryverse; the damn editors keep rejecting the changes....

[12] All as OTL.

[13] As OTL, except that the witness happens to be someone else.

[14] See note 2.

[15] These are ... somewhat different than OTL.

Last edited:
Umm the impact of that(besided a monster is killed early) how will be? giving more ammunition to the so called 'moral guardians' as always? those guys always bugger the life to us Fantasy, later RPG and later Videogame fans, that will have a impact of a 'Satan Scare' in the 80's or some similar?

Did need some info about videogame or similar? can you give us spoilers?

Hmm...

I wonder what will this do to the Dirty Laundryverse cinema?

Aside from the documentary itself, this incident may be as pivotal to American cinema as the Zodiac murders. I could see this influencing the likes of Cobra, The Dead Pool, Fatal Beauty, Die Hard, Batman '89, the last few Death Wish movies, and any possible Punisher movie.

...holy hell...
...I don't know which is a bigger shock; reading the actual Wiki article for him... ...or reading this.

Hmm...

Aside from the documentary itself, this incident may be as pivotal to American cinema as the Zodiac murders. I could see this influencing the likes of Cobra, The Dead Pool, Fatal Beauty, Die Hard, Batman '89, the last few Death Wish movies, and any possible Punisher movie.

Perhaps in an environment potentially afraid that Tim Burton's darkness is the devil, my proposal of the 80s Batman comedy film comes true? And a billion Bat-fans wept.

Good riddance to the SOB, as far as I'm concerned. However, looks like the effect this will have on the "War on Satanism" is going to get, for lack of a better phrase, slightly out-of-control...

Hmm...

*gets on knees* Please, anything but Batman! Changing it would have huge implications on the greatest cartoon series in history! :(

Yeah...my geeky bias is showing. Sue me.

Foreign debts, homeless vets, AIDS, crack, Bernie Goetz?

*starts mulling over ATL lyrics for "We Didn't Start the Fire"*

Mailbag

Okay, time to hit the backlog of awesome questions and comments:

Or have the NCAA decide to show a little backbone and also issue the death penalty to the Kentucky basketball program for doing the same things SMU was doing in football, like the NCAA considered doing OTL. A harsher line being taken on shady recruiting tactics and the like in all sports would probably butterfly away the Fab Five at Michigan and Tark the Shark's UNLV teams in the early '90s, and make college basketball that much more unnoticed outside of March Madness.

First: welcome to the TL, Indiana Beach Crow! Thanks for reading. :)

Second: what a great and timely parallel from the 1980s to today now that shady college recruiting techniques are certainly in the spotlight now with Johnny Manziel. I have something in mind that will hopefully touch on these issues....

Umm the MC68K was so popular because not only was used in the SEGA but with a lot of arcadeboard and more important, those development tools were made either Amiga(the west) or NEC or Fujistsu(Japan) who make the port of the code pretty simple, much because programmer laziness of compile different codes, here that would affect the JAMMA and western computer markert..maybe for Atari Computer Benefit?

This is an excellent point; the question is whether the ease of assembly language programming for the 68000 will still make it the CPU of choice in late-80s coin-op arcade games. One wrinkle to consider: Atari Games is still a major player in the coin-op field ITTL as IOTL -- but is still under the Honeywell-Atari umbrella ITTL, meaning that Atari Games will use the A65C816 and not the MC68000. Whether and to what extent that will cause competitors to switch as well... well, you'll just have to keep reading. :)

Does the cover for Look What the Cat Dragged In still have somewhat masculine-looking women on the front or would Slash be in a position to put his foot down? :p

If you know anything about Slash's proposed lyrics for "Paradise City", you ought to be able to figure out the answer to this. :)

That said, I think that the 68000 instruction set is more complex, which in the days when CISC architectures were commonplace, was considered to be a good thing. ... Considering how much would still be done in assembly language both in OTL and TTL at this point, assembly language programmers would probably appreciate the extra complexity of instructions. The orthogonality doesn't hurt either; it's one of the reasons why I'm fond of ARM assembly language.

I think this is exactly right.

Also, even though it charted after this stretch, Mick Jagger & David Bowie’s remake of “Dancing in the Street” looks like it won’t get made (the song was originally going to be a live duet between both concerts).

Once again, you've managed to figure out something to which I was only alluding! :D

...I can see Springsteen being quite a bit more popular with casual music fans ITTL due to his style not being as “hard” as, say, Def Leppard or Motley Crue.

Yet again, this is exactly how I view the butterfly effect on music; rock music is definitely "going harder" in the Dirty Laundryverse, but that will undoubtedly cause spillover effects for those who aren't quite ready to go there yet. Of course, even the "soft" alternatives are getting dragged along with the mainstream....

IOTL, Foreigner’s “I Want to Know What Love Is” hit #1 for two weeks in February ’85, but according to the chart sweeps, I know it only hit #3 in the Laundryverse for some reason. This is another reason I put Springsteen at #1 for a good chunk of January: Foreigner are more or less a mainstream rock act, and even though their song is a relatively mild-sounding power ballad, I feel that enough of their listeners might gravitate towards Springsteen for at least the time being, thus denying Foreigner their would-be only #1 hit.

And this really just illustrates the vagaries and luck associated with hitting #1; "I Want To Know What Love Is" is the same (great) song as OTL, it's just as well-received, it fills a niche, and so on -- it just happens to chart at the same time as a couple of other songs that do just a little bit better, and thus is on the downswing before hitting #1. You call this the "traffic jam" later on, and that strikes me as being TV Tropes-worthy. :)

Billy Ocean’s “Loverboy” (also #2 IOTL). Sometimes, these #1’s even surprise me

And me! I love it when the TL essentially forces me to do something I would have otherwise found implausible or inartful. :)

And if I could also make a bold prediction, I can see “Radioactive” by The Firm being a slightly bigger hit ITTL (it got up to #28 IOTL). Having it hit #1 may be a bit of a stretch, but I’d say it could very well crack the Top 10.

Nice catch.

I can see people who watch Family Ties ITTL finding Michael J. Fox playing character that has Stalin as a surname amusing.

Unfortunately, very few people are watching Family Ties these days....

However, I think the increased success of the Firm could potentially have a major impact for an English band called Virginia Wolf, who supported them on their arena tour, had (have? It was either 1985 or 1986 IOTL) a debut album produced by Roger Taylor and feature Jason Bonham on percussion.

*makes a note*

I'm thinking of the possible ramifications for hip-hop in the absence of "Walk This Way". Obviously, there's a chance that it won't become as mainstream without Run-D.M.C. and their Aerosmith collaboration to pave the way, but surely Licensed To Ill and "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party)" would have some significance in any case (it'd be a real shame to lose Paul's Boutique if they're not).

I think this sounds very plausible; you'll just have to keep reading. :)

Leaving music aside for a moment, it occurs to me that you've entered the year of Watchmen and Crisis On Infinite Earths. I assume they're still going to happen as IOTL?

There will be a comic book update!

I notice that we havent heard much about the thrash metal scene here. Does it still grow as in OTL? Do Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax still get signed to major labels (by 1986 IOTL, Metallica were on Elektra, Megadeth were on Capitol, Slayer went from CBS to Def Jam, and Anthrax were on Island).

I'll possibly hit on some changes, but yes: the thrash metal scene gets a slight boost to date based on the success of mainstream arena rock and heavy metal. So far, that hasn't translated into the kind of pop success currently being enjoyed by Motley Crue and the Scorpions.

Here's a random cultural nugget I found.

You know, watching an ad from the National Coffee Association gives me a bit of sympathy for my libertarian friends; today, there's no need for a coffee trade group extolling the caffeine properties of their beverage since, you know, you can't swing a cat without hitting a Starbucks on the front swing and a different one on the way back.

Just like the academy to shut the best artists of the year out. But to be fair, Dire Straits are a talented group. And hey, at least it's better than Christopher Cross' "Sailing" sweeping the awards in 1981...

Grammy injustices remain a thing ITTL as IOTL. I've already kvetched about 1990 in a previous post....

I predicted "Code of Silence" would be the #1 song, so despite being wrong, I wasn't too far off. Since it hit #1 for three weeks and it was tied with one of the top TV shows of '85, I can definitely see why "The Heat is On" gets the nod. The top 50 look pretty solid, with the exception of one Eddie Murphy. ;)

Try as I might, I just couldn't make "Party All The Time" go away. I almost had it go to #1 just so I could have an in-universe canonical replacement for "We Built This City" as The Worst Song Of All Time.

One shocker to me is the absence of Whitney Houston on the list. I guess her debut is kind of overshadowed by the rock scene ITTL, but even so, I can see the big-time R&B fans rallying around her as the 'future' of that genre.

Again, traffic jam. "Saving All My Love For You" was the #23 song of 1985 IOTL, largely on the strength of the single week it spent at #1 -- the week of October 26, 1985. Given your research, once you get to that week, you'll realize exactly why Whitney Houston is the victim of poor timing.

Mind you, Bowie was big in the 80s, so much so that despite being a late 60s/70s era artist in his late 30s during the early 80s, he was part of the campaign to sell MTV. Though there were quite a few artists from the 60s and 70s still selling big in the 80s (the Beatles probably would have done it too had they reunited), Bowie seemed quite a bit hipper.

Just for you, Norton, I'll tell you what happens to Labyrinth when we get to 1986. :)

(pulls this back out)

As of September, 1985 -- which is where we are in the timeline, notwithstanding a few glimpses of the "future" in the form of alt-*Wikipedia articles and Billboard charts -- Tales From the Darkside is a very niche syndicated program airing after midnight in most markets. That being said, the reboot of The Twilight Zone is doing slightly better so far, so it's possible there's somewhat more in store for this George Romero vehicle. You'll just have to keep reading. :)

Oh, and will we ever get info about the upcoming Space Shuttle Challenger launch?

You have no idea how close I was to doing an alt-*Wikipedia -- and guys, we really need to come up with a better name for this! -- entry for Space Shuttle Mission STS-61-A, which (spoiler) will go off without a hitch ITTL on October 30, 1985 (as IOTL). :D

This might butterfly away the Challenger disaster, since NASA let it take off even though the designers of the O-ring warned against taking off in cold conditions.

It might, indeed.

Andrew T, have you heard of a TL called Protect and Survive? I'd like to see a crossover story between that and Dirty Laundry to see Henley's reaction to the aftermath (since Longview wasn't mentioned as being hit, he'd likely be unharmed). I could just see him cursing Reagan and Ogarkov for letting the situation get out of hand while helping to tend to survivors at Gilmer High School...

I have, and I very much enjoy P&S. Let me be honest with you: when I complete Dirty Laundry -- or if I decide that I can handle writing a second timeline parallel to this one -- my next project is the alternate 1970s to which I have previously alluded.

That being said, if you would like to write a P&S/Dirty Laundry crossover, drop me a PM and we'll talk. :)

Umm the impact of that(besided a monster is killed early) how will be? giving more ammunition to the so called 'moral guardians' as always? those guys always bugger the life to us Fantasy, later RPG and later Videogame fans, that will have a impact of a 'Satan Scare' in the 80's or some similar?

I've dropped some good hints in the last post. Keep reading!

Either I am exceptional in the art of foreshadowing, or I have some very brilliant and like-minded readers. I lean towards the latter. :)

Foreign debts, homeless vets, AIDS, crack, Bernie Goetz?

Are you volunteering to write the second half of the fifth verse of "We Didn't Start the Fire" in the Dirty Laundryverse???? :D

...holy hell...
...I don't know which is a bigger shock; reading the actual Wiki article for him... ...or reading this.

Thank you! I tried to put a lot of foreshadowing into a relatively straightforward retelling of what was -- IOTL -- a relatively discrete event. Glad you enjoyed it!

Perhaps in an environment potentially afraid that Tim Burton's darkness is the devil, my proposal of the 80s Batman comedy film comes true? And a billion Bat-fans wept.

As you know from my participation on your thread, I think that's a terrific idea. As to whether it fits in the Dirty Laundryverse, well, I think you know the answer to that....

(Hint: it rhymes with 'deep beading' and is spelled like "Only time will tell.")

Hi everybody! Long time subscriber, first time commenter.

Firstly, Andrew, you're awesome. Pure and simple. As are all the other contributors to this brilliant TL.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear there's going to be a comic book update; I'm quite interested in how the mentioned Rise in Vigiliantism could possibly tie in with the release of Watchmen, and the Dark Age of Comics that followed in its wake, in particular the prevalence of the antihero character archetype.

Given that the *Wikipedia link did not mention any dates, it's quite possible that this rise in "taking the law into one's own hands" could continue until the present day.

Also, will we ever get an update regarding the state of anime?

Mailbag addenda (since I'm awake)

Two quickies to catch up:

*gets on knees* Please, anything but Batman! Changing it would have huge implications on the greatest cartoon series in history!

I totally agree with your assessment, and I sure hope Batman: The Animated Series is safe in the Dirty Laundryverse.

*starts mulling over ATL lyrics for "We Didn't Start the Fire"*

Ha! You were composing your reply as I was in the middle of writing my (lengthy) mailbag post, so I gave it to HMP. The two of you are welcome to fight, Thunderdome-style, for the right (to party?).

Hi everybody! Long time subscriber, first time commenter.

Firstly, Andrew, you're awesome. Pure and simple. As are all the other contributors to this brilliant TL.

Welcome aboard, CyberPhoenix, and thanks for the kind words. I've quoted you here not to pat myself on the back -- although hey, someone's got to do it -- but because I'm really glad you've acknowledged the contributors here as well. Dirty Laundry would not be what it is today without the detailed, public and behind-the-scenes help I've gotten from consultants like The Walkman, Kalvan, Brainbin and Heavy Metal Poisoning, or the great questions/comments/suggestions I've gotten from Clorox23, Emperor Norton I, MrHuman, Unknown, neopeius, vultan, joea64, Nivek, Richter10, RySenkari, and others. (If I've forgotten to mention you, please forgive me; it's almost 2 am!)

That might sound a little cheesy, but I sincerely mean it. The collective interest and input of everyone has helped keep me going (and driven Dirty Laundry to 34 pages, over 675 posts, and more than 83,000 pageviews!). Thank you all!

Anyway, I'm glad to hear there's going to be a comic book update; I'm quite interested in how the mentioned Rise in Vigiliantism could possibly tie in with the release of Watchmen, and the Dark Age of Comics that followed in its wake, in particular the prevalence of the antihero character archetype.

As usual, the cat's out of the bag way earlier than I had anticipated! But yes, I'll confirm your suspicions: the rise of vigilantism will spill over into pop culture, and tie in with the comic book update, as well as with TV and film in '86. In fact, one of the first '86 posts in the pipeline deals with comics (and now I've probably given too much of a hint away)....

Given that the *Wikipedia link did not mention any dates, it's quite possible that this rise in "taking the law into one's own hands" could continue until the present day.

:eek:

Also, will we ever get an update regarding the state of anime?

The 8-ball says: "Reply hazy. Ask again later."

Welcome aboard, CyberPhoenix, and thanks for the kind words.

You're quite welcome.

Not quite sure how to interpret that, but I'm going to take a stab and say that it means I'm onto something here...

The 8-ball says: "Reply hazy. Ask again later."
I kinda figured, given that the major developments (the formation of Studio Ghibli, the success of DBZ and the rise of OVAs) are likely sufficiently insulated from butterflies as to proceed relatively OTL, and the release of the major international hit Akira isn't until 1988.

I do wonder what the moral guardians will think of Akira, given its highly charged subject matter, because IOTL it failed at the box office locally but was a smash hit overseas, making it effectively the baseline for anime outside of Japan and creating a new wave of fandom for anime. Plus, it had major influences on innumerable action films, so any changes would have quite a few ripples in the industry.

One of the last victims of the Night Stalker was actually from North Dakota; when the Stalker died recently, the local paper (Fargo Forum represent!) ran a very touching and terrifying article about the life of this survivor, who was left brain damaged after being shot in the head while sleeping.

Yeah; I'm not a proponent of the death penalty, generally, but screw this guy. :mad:

Here is the story if anyone is interested: https://secure.forumcomm.com/?publisher_ID=1&article_id=402450