Dirty Laundry: An Alternate 1980s

While we may be getting a wee bit ahead of ourselves, if Bon Jovi did break up before they could break through, I imagine Richie Sambora would reinvent himself as a more rock-influenced version of SRV.

Actually, this scenario would go a ways to explaining why Def Leppard are so overwhelmingly huge here, because even though rock music is bigger ITTL, most of the biggest names have actually been thinned out: Guns N' Roses and Mötley Crüe have amalgamated while Bon Jovi, who were Leppard's biggest competitors by far, could very well never record Slippery When Wet (Child also wrote a fair amount with Ratt and many, many others after he established himself as a pre-eminent hitmaker with that album, so some of the songs might survive).

Well played, Andrew T. :cool:

Hmm without BJ... it certainly is a different landscape IF they do breakup. DL are the perennial hitmakers here as are the Axl-fronted Crue. What about the blues-influenced Cinderella, Poison (ERHIT in '88), Winger and Skid Row?

Will this TL affect Alice Cooper and Ozzy?

I'll be interested in seeing how DEG handles the new characters in the transformers franchise

Hopefully the movie does great; an earlier adult-animation movement wpuld be fun to explore. Also, as hell, TF: the Movie is one of my faves from childhood (okay, i still love it!). If alt-me lost Gremlins, at least I can have this :)

Hopefully the movie does great; an earlier adult-animation movement wpuld be fun to explore. Also, as hell, TF: the Movie is one of my faves from childhood (okay, i still love it!). If alt-me lost Gremlins, at least I can have this :)
I doubt it'll be too adult. The entire trasnformers franchise exists to sell the toys

A question...

The PC company Dell was, IOTL, founded in 1984.

Does it still get founded ITTL, Andrew? (The HQ for Dell is...Austin, Texas.)

Waiting for the next update, and good on getting Don Henley elected!!!!

Hmm without BJ... it certainly is a different landscape IF they do breakup. DL are the perennial hitmakers here as are the Axl-fronted Crue. What about the blues-influenced Cinderella, Poison (ERHIT in '88), Winger and Skid Row?

Will this TL affect Alice Cooper and Ozzy?

Personally, I hope Bon Jovi still becomes a thing. I feel like I'm the only person defending them here, though, and I wouldn't really consider myself a 'fan', either... :eek:

Also, speaking of Alice Cooper: in '88, he almost accidentally hanged himself while performing one of his over-the-top stage shows. I know that's a long way off in the Laundryverse, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Could it be that optimus's death becomes less cold blooded in this timeline?

Also, if the Transformers movie does get made, Orson Welles' performance as Unicron has a good chance of being butterflied away. It came about via very...strange circumstances, and he didn't speak very kindly of it in the few years he was alive after he recorded the voice.

Could it be that optimus's death becomes less cold blooded in this timeline?
Chances are, changing his death could very much change Duke's "coma" in the GI Joe move.
(Originally, Duke was going to die. But then Hasbro got the idea to have Optimus die first (The Transfomers Movie came out before GI Joe: The Movie) and, after the negative response to it, Hasbro ordered Duke's death to be rewritten so that he lived. Of course, they ended up editing and redubbing the scene so that he just conveniently entered a coma. ...yeah...)

Last edited:
I just thought of something that pertains to the country music scene, and later on, the political scene as well.

No Live Aid means no Farm Aid, and that could mean that Congress never enacts the Agricultural Credit Act of 1987, which protected family farms from foreclosure (Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp were apparently instrumental in getting the issue to Congress' attention by organizing the concert). This could have big negative implications on the rural agricultural scene later on down the road... :(

DRAWKCAB

September 9, 1985
Transcript of 'Focus on the Family' Syndicated Radio broadcast

----------
NARRATOR: Welcome to another edition of the “Focus on the Family” radio broadcast, with your host, psychologist and author Dr. James Dobson. Today, we’re going to be talking about the sometimes dangerous anti-Christian messages in rock music. Joining us today on “Focus” is Dr. Jacob Aranza, an expert in the techniques that the Enemy is using to encode subliminal messages in today’s popular songs. [1] You won’t want to miss this today’s discussion, so stay tuned! And now, here’s Dr. Dobson.

DOBSON: Thank you, Bill. As you know, our primary mission here at “Focus on the Family” is to equip parents to help their children navigate our increasingly anti-Christian world. We know that contemporary music, rock and roll, that music doesn’t glorify God. And for that reason, we never have it on in our household. [2]

NARRATOR: Oh, never.

DOBSON: But I know a lot of good Christian households, they tell me, “Dr. Dobson, you need to lighten up. I grew up with Elvis, and I can remember my parents freaking out about it, and I listened anyway, and I turned out okay.” Well, Elvis sang in the choir back in Tupelo, Mississippi. He was a gospel singer and he loved the Lord. That’s not the kind of music we’re talking about today. We’re talking about music that out-and-out promotes every aspect of deviancy: homosexuality, bestiality, Satan-worship….

NARRATOR: What about those parents who say, “I’m going to monitor what my child listens to. We won’t have anything that’s overtly Satanic in our house, no heavy metal, no Iron Maiden or Judas Priest or Ratt, but so long as a secular song isn’t blasphemous, I’m not going to forbid it?”

DOBSON: Well, I think that’s the biggest danger here, Bill. Remember that the Devil is the Prince of Lies. He’s out to deceive you. And when it comes to rock music, I think a lot of good Christian men and women are being deceived. And here to help us understand what’s going on is my good friend, Dr. Jacob Aranza. Dr. Aranza, welcome to “Focus on the Family.”

ARANZA: Thank you for having me, Dr. Dobson.

DOBSON: Now you have been studying rock music for a long time, Dr. Aranza, and tell us: what’s the biggest thing that parents don’t understand about how their children are listening to rock music?

ARANZA: The biggest issue is that parents assume that rock music is passive; that their children are simply listening to a beat, to lyrics, to the music. But that’s not the case. Rock music is a message being sent from the artist to the audience. It’s a request for communication.

DOBSON: And I can tell you, as a psychologist, that there is a lot more to communication than simply what’s being said.

ARANZA: That’s exactly right, Dr. Dobson. Human speech has two distinct yet complementary modes. The first mode, which I call the “overt” mode, is spoken forwards and primarily under conscious control. The second mode, which I call the “covert” mode, is spoken backward and is not under conscious control. Now think about when you’ve had an infant, a pre-verbal child in your house. Covert speech develops before overt speech. Children speak backwards before they do forwards. Then, as forward speech commences, the two modes of speech gradually combine into one, forming an overall bi-level communication process. [3]

DOBSON: And yet we’re not aware of the covert mode.

ARANZA: That’s right, we’re not. Ordinarily, the backward mode of speech occurs simultaneously with the forward mode and is a reversal of the forward speech sounds. The critical part is that These two modes of speech, forward and backward, are dependent upon each other and form an integral part of human communication. One mode cannot be fully understood without the other mode. In the dynamics of interpersonal communication, both modes of speech combined communicate the total psyche of the person, conscious as well as unconscious.

DOBSON: So what’s special about rock music?

ARANZA: Well, let me be clear, we’re not talking about all rock music. But as I studied how rock music recordings were made, I came across something disturbing. There’s a pattern, a deliberate effort to take specific messages and encode them backwards in rock music songs.

DOBSON: And what’s the effect of that kind of backwards encoding?

ARANZA: Oh, it can be very powerful. The artist takes a message and plays it backwards, often times mixed in underneath other, louder tracks. These are heard by the subconscious but not the conscious mind. While the conscious mind absorbs the forward lyric, the overt language, the subconscious devotes all of its efforts to decrypting the backwards, covert message. This leaves the listener’s mind psychologically vulnerable to its content.

DOBSON: Now what do you mean by “psychologically vulnerable?”

ARANZA: I mean, that these sorts of messages can literally brainwash our children into becoming disciples of the Devil. A colleague of mine did an experiment, he had three groups of mice. One group was the control, one group listened to 10 hours a day of classical music, and one group listened to 10 hours a day of rock music. Then the mice would run a maze. The control group ran the maze in 10 minutes. The classical group ran the maze in 8 and a half minutes. But the rock music mice took nearly half an hour to run the maze.

DOBSON: So they were mentally compromised?

ARANZA: It gets worse. After a few days, the mice exposed to 10 hours a day of rock music all killed each other. [4]

DOBSON: The rock music, it made them violent?

ARANZA: Well, Dr. Dobson, I think what happened here was that my colleague was playing lots of rock music, and sending lots of covert messages. Now a mice brain is a lot less complex than a human brain. Obviously no one is saying that listening to a few hours of rock music will turn your children into violent psychopaths. But in a way, it’s almost more insidious than that, because they’re absorbing all of these covert messages and we as parents have no way of knowing what those messages are.

DOBSON: So what kind of messages are we talking about?

ARANZA: Well, here’s something at the extreme. This is a very popular band called Motley Crue, with a song called “Shout at the Devil.”

[Plays a brief clip.]

DOBSON: That sounds awful.

ARANZA: It gets worse. Now, when we play the clip backwards, you can hear the clear instruction: “Jesus is Satan.” [5]

[Plays the clip.]

DOBSON: That’s pretty direct.

ARANZA: It is. Now, obviously, if you’re listening to Motley Crue, you’re probably already primed for Satanic influences. But here’s an example of a much more subtle form of attack on our youth, something that can overpower even good Christian children. This is a very popular song from a few years ago, it’s called “Hotel California.” You’ve probably heard it. We all have.

[Plays a few seconds of the song.]

ARANZA: Now, let’s play that backwards.

[Plays the same clip, backwards.]

ARANZA: Now, like I said, these covert-signal tracks are often muted and under-dubbed. But if you listen carefully, you’ll hear them say, “Yeah, Satan, oh he came, and organized his own religion. He knows he should. He fixes it for his son, whom he gives away.” [6]

DOBSON: That’s chilling. You can hear it, clear as day.

ARANZA: And now that the subconscious is primed, we get to the imperative section of the message. This is the part that takes the vulnerable brain and tells it, instructs it to do something. Now listen, and you can hear it say: “Satan, he hears this. He has me believe!” [7]

[Plays clip #2 from 'Hotel California']

DOBSON: And so now the young person listening to this, he’s ready to believe Satan?

ARANZA: Like I said, it’s a complex of messages, designed to overwhelm the brain. You can see this, I know your radio listeners can’t, but this is the cover of the album “Hotel California.” Now did you know that hotel, that’s not in fact a hotel?

DOBSON: It isn’t?

ARANZA: No. The ‘California’ is a street in Los Angeles where the first Satanic Church was built, out of a converted hotel. And it’s headed by Anton LaVey, author of the Satanic Bible. Many major musicians were said to have attended this church, including Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones. And if you look in the window, you can see a figure. [8]

DOBSON: Sure, I see him.

ARANZA: That’s Anton LaVey, founder of the church of Satan. And here are some of the demonic lyrics from the song, played forwards:

Mirrors on the ceiling,
The pink champagne on ice
And she said 'We are all just prisoners here, of our own device'
And in the master's chambers,
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill the Beast

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
'Relax,' said the night man,
'We are programmed to receive.
You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave!'

ARANZA: Now, I’ve heard some pretty weak efforts to explain what these lyrics mean, but anyone who is familiar with the Bible knows that the Beast is the coming Antichrist of Revelation 20:10.

DOBSON: Absolutely.

ARANZA: And the rest of the lyrics are short, incomplete phrases; that’s designed to play with the covert messages that have been back-masked underneath.

DOBSON: And the whole thing, the effect is to make you submit to the Evil One?

ARANZA: That’s right. And I have some truly chilling news for you, Dr. Dobson.

DOBSON: What’s that?

ARANZA: The lead singer of this song, the person who in all likelihood put those messages there, who sang about how you can’t kill the Beast – that person was just elected to Congress by a special election in the state of Texas!

DOBSON: [stunned surprise] Well, you know, we can’t encourage anyone to take any particular action here on this radio show, but I think any Bible-believing Christian can recognize this as another of the signs of the end times. And so we’ll be watching Congressman Don Henley awfully carefully.

ARANZA: Remember that these people are very, very subtle. They use all sorts of tricks to try and advance the Devil’s agenda.

DOBSON: Absolutely. We’ll be back after the break, and I hope you’ll stay with us, Dr. Aranza.

----------

After this segment aired on AM radio channels across the United States, the FCC issued 837 separate warnings, fines, and other civil citations in connection with violations of the “personal attack” provisions of the Fairness Doctrine. [9] As a result, Rep. Bob Dornan (R-CA) introduced a bill in the U.S. Congress to eliminate the “Fairness Doctrine” in its entirety, which passed in late 1985. [10]

----------
NOTES:

[1] Aranza is a real person, and his statements here are adapted from things he said IOTL.

[2] Dobson is, of course, as OTL, and his dialogue here is adapted from OTL radio scripts. “Focus” has been a radio show since the early 1980s.

[3] I shouldn’t have to tell you that this is pseudoscience gibberish. I shouldn’t have to tell you that, but if you google “overt and covert speech,” you’ll find an awful lot of people making this sort of argument.

[4] This story is taken from a (probably apocryphal) story told about supposed 16-year-old high school student David Merrill, who concluded that the heavy-metal mice “all killed each other.”

[5] This is as OTL. “Shout at the Devil” contains a back-masked underdub of Nikki Sixx and Tommy Lee chanting “Jesus is Satan” as a joke. Mick Mars has noted, “I wanted to have them chant ‘Why are you listening to this backwards, asshole?’, but I was overruled.” Needless to say, the joke does not go over well ITTL.

[6] You can still find people claiming that this message is encrypted in “Hotel California.” An alternative explanation is pareidolia, the natural human tendency to try and impose meaning on random gibberish.

[7] This is the section of the song containing the lyrics “…in the middle of the night, just to hear them say…” – played backwards, it does sort of sound like “Satan, he hears this.”

[8] All as OTL, although I’m pretty sure the stuff about Anton LaVey is just coincidence.

[9] IOTL, Reagan’s FCC dismanted the major components of the Fairness Doctrine in 1987, but left intact various corollaries, including the “personal attack rule,” which persisted until 2000. Here, the overt attack on Congressman Don Henley leads the FCC to go the other way – until public backlash unites in favor of trashing all of the Fairness Doctrine.

[10] Dornan was a big believer in Satanic back-masking; IOTL, “B-1 Bob” was responsible for introducing a (failed) bill in Congress in 1982 that would have labeled suspect records with the following: "WARNING: THIS RECORD CONTAINS BACKWARD MASKING THAT MAKES A VERBAL STATEMENT WHICH IS AUDIBLE WHEN THIS RECORD IS PLAYED BACKWARD AND WHICH MAY BE PERCEPTIBLE AT A SUBLIMINAL LEVEL WHEN THIS RECORD IS PLAYED FORWARD." (A similar bill passed the Arkansas State Senate in 1983 by a vote of 86 to 0.) Here, he’s happy to jump back on the bandwagon.

Interesting how the greater success of Mötley Crüe and the political success of Don Henley conspire to make the Satanism scare more significant at this point than it was OTL. I'll be watching to see how this all goes...

[10] Dornan was a big believer in Satanic back-masking; IOTL, “B-1 Bob” was responsible for introducing a (failed) bill in Congress in 1982 that would have labeled suspect records with the following: "WARNING: THIS RECORD CONTAINS BACKWARD MASKING THAT MAKES A VERBAL STATEMENT WHICH IS AUDIBLE WHEN THIS RECORD IS PLAYED BACKWARD AND WHICH MAY BE PERCEPTIBLE AT A SUBLIMINAL LEVEL WHEN THIS RECORD IS PLAYED FORWARD." (A similar bill passed the Arkansas State Senate in 1983 by a vote of 86 to 0.) Here, he’s happy to jump back on the bandwagon.

Which is bunk. If something is "subliminally" put in, all it is is gibberish that doesn't affect the mind. If you listen to something backwards, your brain doesn't decipher it. It just comes out as nonsense. And that whole popcorn and soda movie experiment thing people cite for subliminility was a bunk experiment too.

Welcome back, Andrew T.

Yes, it's bunk--but a lot of people believe it.

And when the Night Stalker is caught ITTL...look out!!!

Interesting to see how the more things change, the more they stay the same. Of course, I'm from the generation when the moral guardians finally gave up on music (when the gangsta rappers actually were explicitly saying all the things that their critics were denouncing them for, I guess it was bound to happen) and shifted their focus to video games.

Sadly, forward subliminal messaging has been shown to not really work either. I guess people have to stick with overwrought metaphors to insert hidden messages :D

Don't forget about Frank Zappa.

Andrew T, I recommend looking at Mr Zappa speaking on the subject of this sort of thing, and the Tipper Gore censorship and all that. Basically, anything with Zappa in it during the 80s will probably have him talking on the subject somewhere in the video.

October 6, 1985

"Must-have Toys of the 1985 Christmas Season"
by Cynthia Smith, New York Times Sunday

1. Axlon, AG Bear
2. Tomy, My Robot Buddy
3. Tandy, Intellivision3
4. Matchbox, Impossiball Soccer
5. Hasbro, Wuzzles
6. V-Tech, Dial A Teacher
7. Fisher Price/Kodak, Fisher Price Camera
8. Hasbro, My Little Pony Bouncing Pony
9. Coleco, Cabbage Patch Koosas
10. Buddy-L, Credit Card Bank

It was just two years ago when Coleco’s “Cabbage Patch” dolls turned parents into offensive linemen, battering and bruising their way through toy and department stores to bring home the latest and greatest toy for under the tree. Here at the Sunday magazine, we’re ready to help you get a head start on the season’s hottest toys – before you’re fighting for the last one on the shelves!

Hottest Toy of the Season: Axlon’s AG Bear

Ag_bear.jpg

Without a doubt, this year’s must-have toy is AG Bear, a cuddly teddy bear equipped with a voicebox so that it can talk back to your child. The bear’s voice (what the manufacturers call “bear talk”) is a mixture of synthesized speech and cute growly noises; the overall effect is particularly adorable. And if you have two or more kids – or one very lucky child! – two AG Bears can talk to each other, mimicking each other’s sounds back and forth in a very convincing facsimile of conversation. Your child wants one; better go get it now. $49.99 [1]

Best Toy For Toddlers: Hasbro’s “My Little Pony Bouncing Pony”

If your toddler has an older sister, chances are good that she’s already in love with Hasbro’s “My Little Pony” franchise. Now, Hasbro is reaching for the 2-and-younger demographic with the inflatable Bouncing Pony. Weight limit 25 lbs. [2] $9.99

bouncingpony.jpg

Best Plush Toys: Hasbro’s Wuzzles and Coleco’s Cabbage Patch Koosas.

Backed up by a Saturday morning cartoon produced by Disney, Wuzzles are two animals fused into one, like “Bumbelion” (half-lion, half-bumblebee), “Butterbear” (half-bear, half-butterfly), and Eleroo (half-elephant, half-kangaroo). We’ve been told that the half-koala, half-parakeet “Koalakeet” is particularly hard to find, so snatch one up if you come across it! [3] $18.99

tumblr_ljyu0mxFAk1qfbuiyo1_400.jpg

What Christmas season would be complete without another adorable, one-of-a-kind, gotta-have-it doll from Coleco? [4] This year, it’s Cabbage Patch Koosas, cuddly animal companions of the original Cabbage Patch Kids.

cabbagepatchkoosas.jpg

Koosas come in three broad varieties: cats, dogs, and lions, but – like the original Cabbage Patch Kids – each one is slightly different. Koosas come with an ID tag, collar, and a registration certificate with the “Koosa Kennel Association.” [5] $24.99

Best Outdoor Toys: Fisher Price/Kodak, Fisher Price Camera and Matchbox’s Impossiball Soccer

fisherpricekodakcamera.jpg

A collaboration between venerable camera manufacturer Kodak and long-standing children’s toy manufacturer Fisher Price, the Fisher Price Camera is a real working camera made for children. It has specially designed film-advance and shutter controls that are extra-large for use with small fingers. Level pictures are a snap thanks to the bright red indicator. It has soft, cushioned end caps, a "breakaway" neck strap, impact-resistant film door and built-in lens cover, and a flip flash. Uses standard 110 film. [6] $27.99.

220px-Impossiball_solved.jpg

It’s Rubik’s-Cube-meets-soccer-ball in this innovative twist on puzzle toys. At the heart of the Impossiball Soccer is a hard plastic toy not unlike the Rubik’s Cube that allows a child to twist and rearrange the pattern on the outside of the ball. What really sets this toy apart, though, is the thick layer of padding surrounded by soft, colored outer panels made of synthetic leather. The result is that the entire Impossiball has the same weight and feel as a regulation soccer ball. Solve the puzzle, or score the goal? It’s up to you! [7] $19.99

Best Learning Toys: V-Tech’s Dial-A-Teacher and Buddy-L’s Credit Card Bank

dialateacher.jpg

Dial-A-Teacher is a talking toy that helps prepare children for early school years. Children “dial” up questions on an authentic-looking telephone, and punch in answers on the touch-pad keyboard. Before you know it, your kids will be learning the basics of spelling, math, music, and more. Questions are stored on various cards; the Dial-A-Teacher comes with five cards included, and more are available from V-Tech. [8] $39.99

creditcardbank.jpg

Buddy-L has updated the long-standing children’s favorite cash register toy for the 1980s with their all-new Credit Card Bank. Just insert the credit card into the slot, and a large LCD screen allows the child to perform calculator functions on the keypad. With the push of a button, those balances can be “deposited” or “withdrawn” from the credit card; pushing another button displays the balance. The cash drawer also opens and closes to permit the use of passé cash transactions. [9] $18.99

Best High-Tech Toy: Tomy’s My Robot Buddy

Tomy makes a variety of great toy robots, and they’ve finally put it all together with My Robot Buddy, a remote-controlled robot that you program with eight separate commands and then operate by voice from up to 100 feet away. With a single spoken command, My Robot Buddy can go forwards, backwards, raise and lower its arms, or “smile” (which flashes lights and makes a noise). By far the neatest feature, however, is the built-in microcassette recorder, which allows My Robot Buddy to play back messages that you’ve previously recorded. $54.95 [10]

263658-tomy-chatbot.jpg

Best Toy For the Kid Who Has Everything: Tandy’s Intellivision 3

images

Although Atari has captured the imagination of many kids with its Nintendo videogame system, Tandy has struck back with an innovative new videogame system based around the 16-bit Motorola 68000 microprocessor (the same chip behind the powerful Apple Macintosh and Tandy 520 ST computers). With all of that advanced hardware, the Intellivision 3 promises “true 3-D graphics,” distinguishing it from the side-scrolling games at the heart of the Atari Nintendo. The Intellivision 3 also has wireless joysticks, eliminating cumbersome cables and allowing you to play the game from up to 30 feet away. Oh, and while you’re waiting for those 3-D games, the Intellivision 3 plays all of your old Intellivision games – if you still have them. The only downside is the price -- $599.99. [11]

----------
NOTES:

[1] AG Bear’s success ITTL is brought to you by Atari, of all things. Here’s how it works. AG Bear is pretty much as OTL, and the manufacturer, Axlon, is a company funded by former Atari founder Nolan Bushnell (through his Catalyst Technologies venture capital firm). The reason you’ve (probably) never heard of AG Bear is that, IOTL, the hot toy of 1985 was the very similar Teddy Ruxpin, a cassette-powered talking teddy bear toy (that you have no doubt heard of). Teddy Ruxpin was developed by Don Kingsborough, who founded the “Worlds of Wonder” toy company after leaving – you guessed it – Atari’s consumer products division in 1983. ITTL, Atari’s fortunes ride high in ’83, and Honeywell spins off the consumer products division in late ’84. Kingsborough remains as president of the new venture and (as OTL) gets into toymaking – he’s just a bit too late to get to market with Teddy Ruxpin in ’85. So, without Teddy Ruxpin, AG Bear becomes the hit toy of the ’85 holiday season.

Oh, and one more thing: IOTL, the Nintendo NES was distributed by… Worlds of Wonder. Needless to say, that deal never takes place ITTL because Worlds of Wonder doesn’t exist. It doesn’t matter for the NES, obviously; Atari has plenty of clout to get the Atari Nintendo on distributors’ shelves.

[2] There was never a “My Little Pony”-branded bouncy pony in the 1980s, although you’d think there would have been, wouldn’t you?

[3] OTL’s Wuzzles, complete with the (very short-lived) cartoon.

[4] Hey, this is 1985, so it’s still largely called “the Christmas season” as opposed to the more-inclusive “holiday season” we know and love today.

[5] Unchanged from OTL.

[6] Completely unchanged from OTL. Camera technology has advanced a bit in the past 25 years, no?

[7] Thanks to Clorox23 for pointing me to a catalog of Uwe Meffert toy prototypes; from there, I went to the real-life Impossiball (pictured above), which has the rather expected disadvantage of rolling off of shelves and stuff. So I thought: “why not make it an actual, playable ball?”

[8] OTL product and text; note that although the numbers are on a keypad, we’re still using “dial” to describe how one operates a telephone. :) As OTL, V-Tech is slowly incorporating computer technology into children’s toys; that will obviously start taking a very different path ITTL. Also, IOTL, this toy is called "Dial A Teacher" (no dashes); chalk that up to butterflies.

[9] This toy is completely unchanged from OTL, but that picture is just so adorably ‘80s I had to include it. He’s wearing a little suit and tie!

[10] This is a combination of various OTL Tomy robots, including the Verbot and the Chatbot, both of which had the ‘voice programmable commands’ gimmick. The major drawback was that every time you shut off the robot, you’d have to reprogram the commands. Here, Tomy uses 4K Atari FeRAM sticks so that the commands aren’t lost when the robot is shut off or the batteries are changed.

[11] This is the Intellivision III prototype finally brought to market by Jack Tramiel’s Tandy, and powered by the kludge-y 3-D system (“MAGIC”) discussed way back in post #83. At what is essentially the NEO GEO price point, well, you can probably guess it’s fate.

Andrew T, I know that 1988 is a ways off in your TL, but could you have Hurricane Gilbert hit the Texas coast (either Houston or Corpus Christi (1)) instead of the Yucatan...at full force?

That would make the 1988 presidential election interesting, to say the least...

(1) Corpus Christi is my hometown, incidentally, and its where Gilbert was forecast to hit in 1988 OTL.

Good update, BTW.