Forgot to add my planned footnotes to Post 13. Mea Culpa

Osgood Mckenzie and his daughter Mairi are very close to OTL
(both were bilingual English Gaelic as I've tried to indicate in my mixed use of names and phrases - thanks to machine translation)

Inverewe House and it's subtropical Garden is also real and was presented to the nation by Mary on her death after WW2.
It is a wonder to see plants from all continents and both hemispheres thriving at a latitude further north than Hudson Bay.

The geography and ecology of Ross and Cromarty as described in this post (and several subsequent episodes) is also (mostly) correct
- and my attempts at description only a pale shadow of natures reality.

Vickers .. of the machine gun fame - were in fact diversifying and attempting to expand post WW1 but were of course affected by the depression.
In TTL one very minor scheme is rescued by a link up to another minor scheme from the RN Anti Submarine Department

Those of you familiar with OTL WW2 will know that Loch Ewe did become a significant RN location
Fewer may realise it is still in use today … for the real-life sisters of my fictional HMS Artemis!

in TTL the process starts earlier, will grow a bit stronger but last just as long.

Last edited:
Very intersting, so it seems the RN might well be looking into developing Loch Ewe as a submarine station/base earlier than OTL or even turning it into a major site. Useful considering it would bring jobs to the area and Scotland as a whole, and speaking with this chap and his wife is a good way to get the Political wheels turning.

Also, excellent stuff as always :D

Very intersting, so it seems the RN might well be looking into developing Loch Ewe as a submarine station/base earlier than OTL or even turning it into a major site. Useful considering it would bring jobs to the area and Scotland as a whole, and speaking with this chap and his wife is a good way to get the Political wheels turning.

Also, excellent stuff as always :D

I created Johnathon Rain's visit to the DEN purely as a mechanism to discuss the development of Diesel Electric Submarines up to the early 1920s without being too "wall of text".

That would have been useful even as a prelude to the much smaller opus I had originally planned for the 1920s and 30s. However, once I decided to expand my scope for that period, I found I was irresistibly drawn to tell more about the DEN as one part of the jigsaw puzzle that will eventually become HMS Quetzal.

I did a bit of research looking for a suitable place and time. Loch Ewe seemed perfect. Once I had the place, the people, both RL and fictional, followed. Strangely their personal motivations fell in line with my overall intentions almost without further work. Hopefully, that is a good sign.

When I read my favourite AH stories I am often moved to think "now that is the way history should have been" :closedeyesmile:

14. Change of Command
16:00 6 July 1923, Quayside, Turnaig Haven, Loch Ewe

As he stepped ashore from the foredeck of R7 Commander Mathews saw the door of the small stone built shack that his crew had christened "The Harbour Masters Office" open slowly.

The Able Seaman he had left there that morning limped out, braced in front of his captain and saluted quite smartly.
He proffered the standard Post Office Telegraph form that he had been holding in his left hand.
"This arrived about an hour ago, sir. The postie brought it up from Poolewe. Sent by the Admiralty. Addressed to you personally but marked 'not urgent' so I decided not to send it out on the dory"

"Quite right too, Morse. I'll read it directly. By the way, how is that ankle of yours coming along?"

"Better for the rest at the desk today, I think sir. The quack in the town was right when he said to give it 'a wee while more' ".

"That will teach you to be careful climbing these hills in the twilight. Make your way back to the barracks now, I'll close up the office myself "

16:18 Inside the Office

The First Office peered through the open door. Mathews was sitting at the desk, Since they were alone the Junior Lieutenant felt he could venture a jocular comment. "I have put Lucky to bed, Skipper. The Anchor watch is still up and about but the rest of the crew is probably on the way to the Pub. Anything else for me to do?"

Deciding it was also safe to respond in the same vein Mathews, waved him inside "Sit down Jimmy. I have news that I can share. It seems my reign as SNO at Loch Ewe will soon end. They are sending someone senior along before the end of the week" Mathews sounded oddly puzzled.

"Isn't that good news, skipper. It must mean that their Lordships have decided to go ahead with this project if they are sending someone with more clout... No disrespect to you intended, of course"

"Of course not Jimmy" Mathews grinned back and then his grin faded. "My concern is just how much 'clout' our new commander is bringing. It's my old CO Max Horton!"

"I thought you told me he had won a second Bar to the DSO he got when you served under him, been promoted to Captain and given a cruiser?"

"He had all of that ... but now he's been assigned to a post that is not even recognised as a proper RN base."

"Skipper, I hate to repeat myself but do you have any idea what that is all about?"

Authors Note:

for those less familiar with the Labyrinth of the British Honour system

DSO = Distinguished Service Order
a military medal for 'highly successful command and leadership during active operations'
not a gallantry award for personal actions like the MC & VC
but still high precedence

Bar = a repeat award
The Second Bar = awarded on 3 separate occasions

Last edited:
15. Rendezvous at Sea
06:20 13 July 1923 2 Miles North of the Rua Reid Lighthouse (on the cliffs to the west of Loch Ewe)

Wind: from West South West, Beaufort Scale 4 and falling
Sea State: Major wavelets with white horses from last nights blow
Visibility: only fair, early morning haze has only just begun to disperse

"She's riding fairly well at on this course and speed, Alexander. I think we can wait as long as needed"

McIver retorted "Fairly well indeed. And so she should ... being local built for local waters"

Michael shrugged. "We needed a tender for work in and out of the loch that my Lucky 7 could not do.
For some reason, the cash had been allocated already and as the nearest thing to an SNO, I had the authority.
It seemed a shame to see a well-found craft rotting ashore at Aultbea for lack of a crew. "

"Aye, tis sooth the McClennans were glad enough of the monies. That was a kindness. More, the Auld man hisself was proud as punch when you asked permission to give her a new name in her new service" Alexander glanced over his shoulder to where the Blue Ensign fluttered above the stern. From the wheelhouse, he could not see the newly painted designation "Jamie Mclennan, Loch Ewe" but he did not need it to remind him. He saw that name listed with all too many others on the War memorial whenever he attended the "Wee Free" services.

Michael blushed and retorted "Never mind the Grandfather, I thought his wife was going to kiss me!"

"Now that would have been a sight to see! However, it's in my mind that there were others there that ye wouldnae have been so fashed if they had tried to buss ye". Michaels blushed deepened as he remembered the gentle smile on Fiona Mclennan's freckled face, her waist-length flame red hair, her ...

Fortunately for naval discipline, his reverie was disturbed by a hail from the bow. "Ships to Starboard. Three miles. Two destroyers in line abreast. Heading East North East at maybe 10 knots"

By Captain's reflex alone Michael snapped a series of preplanned orders
"Helmsman steer to intercept. Adjust turns for the best speed as convenient.
Morse, make the challenge by light.
Bosun, prepare the dory to transfer us to the lead ship .. whichever that is.
Alexander, make sure we have the charts with the buoys marked ..."

11:30 Captains Sea Cabin, HMS Relentless

Yarrow M Class destroyer
(very) temporarily under Captain Max Horton, DSO and 2 Bars, SGM

"Lieutenant Mathews, reporting sir" with a Dartmouth College salute which Captain Horton returned with a straight face. With formal courtesies over, the senior officer smiled and held a hand. "Nice to see you again, Mike"

"Glad to see you, sir, though when I was posted to Loch Ewe I never expected you to visit let alone come to take command". "I didn't expect this job either but as the good book says 'Money is the root of all evil'" Horton shot back.

"Not wishing to contradict a senior officer but the quote from Timothy is best translated as 'For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. ', at least according to my father, who ought to know being both a Classical Scholar and an Officer of the Anglican Church"

"I defer to the professional knowledge of your learned parent but the concept still applies to this situation.

Mathews, I am sure you recognise that the Navy's biggest fight since the end of the Great War is in London... with the Treasury, specifically that idiot Admiral Geddes and his never so damned Axe"

Horton's voice was more intense than Mathews has ever heard it, even when the old H9 was being depth-charged by the Boche. "Well my boy, you and I have been assigned to Loch Ewe precisely to blunt one small stroke of that blood-stained weapon.

While your local contact guides us into port, let me explain just how we are going to accomplish that miracle"

Authors Note:

At the date iTTL (and OTL) British ships fly an ensign with the Union Jack in the top quarter

warships fly the White Ensign
383px-Naval_Ensign_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png

Merchant and Private ships (with some historical and privileged exceptions) the Red Ensign
383px-Civil_Ensign_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png

Government owned or hired ships fly a Blue Ensign (some times with 'defacement' to indicate role)
150px-Government_Service_Ensign.svg.png

Last edited:
Iiiiiiiiinteresting! So Horton, who's a very very experienced sub guy is getting put in charge. And with his decorations and a bit of political heft, this speaks volumes for changes to come :) Also wonderful characterisation!

16. Sub Rosa
11:34 Captains Sea Cabin, HMS Relentless

Before Horton could explain further the was a knock on the closed door. A voice with a definite Geordie accent called. "The refreshments you asked for sir". Horton drew a breath. "Come in and put in on the side please". The 'and go way PDQ' was implied in his tone. The steward entered and deftly moved the plain white china tea set from his tray and onto the shelf alongside the table where Captain Horton had laid out large scale chart of Loch Ewe. He closed the door behind him without a word.

Though short, this interruption had allowed Horton to smooth his ruffled feathers. He began in a less taut voice. "Don't get me wrong, Mathews. I have no issue with the First Lord of the Admiralty being a politician .. though like most serving officers I did object to Geddes demanding to be being given a high Naval rank without serving a day in Uniform. Nor do I disagree that the country in the year of our Lord 1920 did not need the same Navy it needed so desperately in 1918, even if we could afford it, which we most certainly can't.

We had to cut on ships, men and bases. Of course, some assets were outmoded - kept on during the war out of lack of anything better. Many potentially useful assets were simply worn out - men as well as machines. in other cases, even when the asset was usable, we simply had too many or better options. The best of these are ear-marked to continue in use with a few less capable placed into reserve against sudden emergencies". He paused and cocked an eyebrow in Michaels direction.

Mathews had been nodding anyway but decided that a reply would better confirm his understanding. "M Class destroyers like Relentless illustrate those policies exactly. They were built in the War to supplement much older smaller TBDs, some of which soldiered on. Most of those old designs were scrapped within months of the Armistice and I believe all the first set of Ms ordered to an Admiralty design were scrapped last year. The middle set, built by Yarrow including some changes, were reckoned to be better. Since you have brought two with you, but sailed with a skeleton crew, I assume these are for the chop too!" (he smiled at the double entendre)

"Not quite, Mathews. It is true that only a few of the third set of Ms will be kept in use" Horton snorted. " because they are improvements on the Improved version! None the less, Restless and quite a few of her less improved sisters will continue to serve … in Loch Ewe, if all goes to plan. That is why I ordered you to lay out so many buoys on the West Side of the Island in the centre of the Loch."

"Ah, so the Admiralty is planning to create a reserve storage site up here to reduce the congestion at the remaining active naval bases. Given that we both have experience in submarines, I presume we can expect a number of those to arrive as well." Michael did not know whether to be glad or sad. It seemed his command Lucky R7 would not be scrapped like most of her sisters but would no longer be an active command. "That makes sense of the involvement by Vickers shipbuilding too. A private test and repair facility on the spot would make keeping the reserve ships in good order much easier and conversely give the yard regular business"

"Those elements are all part of the plan, but it's become just a bit more complicated than that. I have said we must cut many navy assets, but the two things we can't lose are the lessons bought in blood during the war and the most promising solutions we created for those problems, even if they haven't been completely explored yet.

In my honest opinion, Anti-Submarine warfare is one of those lessons and anti-sub subs one potential solution.

Now you and I both served in submarines and our experiences bore out our expectation of hard-won success against enemy warships but we have to be honest and admit that it was the Boche UBs that nearly won the war by concentrating on our commerce. By being stealthy underwater they were able to escape the blockade and yet were also capable enough on the surface to implement 'guerre de chasse' as never before in history. Britain … and the Empire .. was uniquely vulnerable to that. I believe it still is vulnerable, in the right - or I should say wrong - circumstances" Horton's tone was deadly serious.

"But sir, we beat the Boche in the end. True it took years to create the tactics and build the ships but we won. And with ASDics and all the new technology, we could do it again much more easily and faster too"

"Certainly that is the conventional wisdom but even some of the very people who developed ASDics are not so sure." Horton paused to give Mathews time to think on that. Michael realised he had never questioned the general assumptions. He knew that other R Class subs were being used as targets to train both Asdic Operators and ASW ship commanders but had never seen any of the results to evaluate.

Horton continued "I talked to Professor Boyle who still leads the team that originated ASDics. He wants to do a lot of further trials under different circumstances and so on. Portland, where they did the original work is now very crowded. There's no money for a completely separate site for ASD, but he thinks even a share of Loch Ewe would be ideal. Something to do with the variety of water conditions within easy distance. His team will relocate here … probably before winter. You and your sub will be kept on as one of their test targets. In fact, R8 will join after some minor modification.

However, it's all a bit of a game with smoke and mirrors, especially with the funding. We definitely need to keep all this on the QT, so officially there will be no 'RN station Loch Ewe', at least not yet"

Again Mathews nodded but then struck by a thought "I understand the need for discretion, but won't your presence be a bit of a giveaway. After all your opinions on submarine warfare are very well known"

Horton chuckled "And that is the irony, my boy. We are using Geddes and his Axe as a smokescreen. It is being whispered, in complete confidence of course and in just the best ears, that I opened my mouth too widely, one too many times and damn near got the Geddes Chop. The story goes that only my collection of 'fruit salad' " (here he gestured at the mass of medal ribbons on his left breast) " saved my neck but I've been shuffled off to a 'no hope posting in the back of beyond to cool my heels' !"

"That's enough for now. Let's go up to the bridge and you can point out the sights." pausing he gestured across the Chart. " By the way, I want to traverse down the East Side of the Island, past Tournaig and Poolewe. we had better go tell our pilot... Alexander McIver isn't it?"

"It is sir, Sir. But I assure you we could just pass West. The soundings are quite sufficient and McIver fully familiar ... "

"You mean YOUR soundings are quite accurate and your friend ALEXANDER could guide us safely home in a London peasouper!" Horton interrupted.

"Don't underestimate the value of advertising my boy. On my route, half of Ross and Cromarty will see two clapped out RN destroyers openly arriving at what will probably be their retirement place.

It a great way to start our work.

Doing the right thing but in a way that misleads the people watching especially the bean counters in London"

Authors Note

Eric Campbell Geddes is RL.

Basically an industrialist, he did good work organising Logistics in WW1,
offended the Navy by insisting he needed a military rank for a civilian post
and post-war outraged Navy, Army and Civil Service with his cuts

The term "sub rosa" derives from the Ancient Roman practice of marking the open entrance of a room or space in a garden with a rose bloom to show that a private conference is in progress.

It seemed appropriate :)

Last edited:
Very interseting! And it does seem that Loch Ewe will become a major RN sub base. IIRC wasn't that Loch used for the same role in the Cold War as a nuclear sub base?

Very interseting! And it does seem that Loch Ewe will become a major RN sub base. IIRC wasn't that Loch used for the same role in the Cold War as a nuclear sub base?

in OTL Loch Ewe was certainly used by Nato Nukes but only as a "Z" site which is for unexpected Servicing needs.
There is only one designated Quayside berth, one buoyed location and a small POL supply point.
They are all still available to visiting vessels but I haven't been able to find out when last used.

The major permanent bases for Nukes were further south much nearer Glasgow & the Clyde
presumably for easier access to population and logistics despite any problems with increased local traffic.

HMNB Faslane on Loch Gare is still extant and used by the RNs SSN & SSBN
but "Site 1" on Holy Loch for the USN basically closed after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Last edited:
17. Drinks on the Terrace
Main-Inverewe-summer-0419_75b47836d92246e6489a985d5e1c30c9.jpg

18:27 20 July 1923, upper terrace, Inverewe Gardens

Mary Mckenzie Hanbury sighed contentedly and gripped her husbands' hands warmly. "You know, Robert when Michael asked me to host a gathering so that he could present his new commanding officer to our neighbours I was a mite worried. For some reason, he insisted that it was to be here at Inverewe. The few rooms you cobbled together in the stables after the Lodge burned are fine for us overnight when we work on the Gardens but hardly suitable for entertaining. Your idea to hold it outside with a few gazebos in case of rain was an inspiration!"

Robert smiled down at her and then turned to examine the several groups of visitors scattered around the lawns, the viewpoints over the Loch and, being mostly true Gaels, the tables serving the sherry and whisky (and tea for the more godly). "Indeed Mairi, it seemed that every time the Captain and the Commander conferred over the last few days, we got another addition to the Guest List. The Provost and all the various types of Ministers I could understand as local dignitaries but the Post Master and even one of the Lighthouse crew from Red Deer?". Mary shook head equally puzzled and asked "By the way, where is Michael? he's due to make the formal welcome in a minute or two."

"Over by the west wall, continuing his policy of 'liaising' with the local crofting families I think" her husband replied in a deliberately neutral voice. She turned and was not surprised to see just who was standing side by side with the young officer. Her eyes softened "Make a fine couple don't you think? .. I mean he in Dress Whites and she in the 'Old Colours'." she paused but then continued " Seems a shame to disturb them. Nevertheless, you had better go remind him that duty calls Robert"

18:31 by the Entrance to the Rhododendron Walk

Faced with the expectant crowd, all Michaels prepared formalities escaped his head. He decided that the only way to proceed was short and direct. "Ladies and Gentlemen, or may I say despite my short stay here at Loch Ewe, neighbours and friends, thank you for coming today. I am proud to present the distinguished officer who is taking command of this area for the Royal Navy, Captain Horton"

Horton stepped forward to Mike's shoulder and returned all the smiles of welcome that faced him.

"As you know I arrived only a few days ago. After hearing initial reports, from Lieutenant Commander Mathews as well as those from others, I asked him to gather representatives from all the inhabitants who had helped him during his preliminary investigations. When I asked him to find a location for that gathering, I deliberately asked for a place where we could all look out onto the Loch."

Horton turned to his subordinate and smiled "As I might have expected from his previous service with me as a Midshipman, he exceeded all my expectations."

Again facing the main audience, his face serious once more. "I asked for those two things because the waters the Loch and your cooperation are the twin foundations on which I expect ... no, intend .. to build an asset to my service and hopefully at the same time work towards a better future for this community.

This is primarily a social occasion but rest assured, that each of you and the interests you represent will be taken into account. For now, let us all enjoy Mr and Mrs Hanbury's hospitality in this uniquely wonderful setting.

Our detailed work together starts tomorrow"

Authors Note: no more than an excuse to post a photo of Inverwe in summer

Last edited:
18. Tesserae : Inverewe
21:53 20 July 1923, a small stone flagged courtyard outside the former stables Inverewe House

Four wicker armchairs, covered in a variety of tartan throws surround a similar table with a white linen tablecloth
On the table a polished teak and Brass tantalus.
One decanter removed standing half empty alongside with crystal stopper laying on the cloth.
In the chairs, 3 men, one in a blazer and two in RN dress uniform are relaxing, gripping crystal tumblers.
There is a companionable silence in the growing twilight.

From a door behind them steps a lady still in a summer frock but draping a plaid around her shoulders

"No don't get up gentlemen." she calls as they all stir as if to rise. A moment later she sits gracefully into the final chair. "I think that went well, Captain Horton."

"Yes, it was a good beginning. My thanks, to you and Robert" the senior officer said, nodding first to her and then to the civilian on his left.

"We were glad to help in any way we could. In part, I started this 'Loch Ewe Project' as you have named it and I .. both of us ... are almost sad that our contribution has finished!" Robert said sincerely and Mairi nodded.

Horton turned to his new assistant and grinned. "Why don't you tell them, Michael"

Mathews sat up straighter in his chair. "What the Captain is so diplomatically hinting at is that we won't be able to discharge either of you from RN service quite yet.

You see our combined plans for the Loch are quite extensive, both geographically and in terms of personnel.
Not enormous on a national scale of course, but significant locally.

Vickers Engineering will be doing great things in Poolewe and perhaps Londubh but on a commercial basis.
The Provost and the Harbour Master will be dealing with most of that.

You already know we plan some works on the East side of the Loch where my boat is currently based.
That is mostly in the lands you inherited from your late father, Mary.
You have indicated you will cooperate fully.

What you don't yet know is that the RN is planning some smaller changes on the West Side.
Inland I mean, not just the moorings for the reserve ships. I believe that shore is Inverasdale lands.

In addition, there will be quite extensive works inland of Poolewe Town by the Army
Some near the town but a lot more on the South Bank of Loch Maree.

Robert, Mary we would like you to help us contact both the landowners and any residents to gain their cooperation too. We don't anticipate many issues. As the Captain said in his address we hope that the changes will be beneficial to the community as well as useful to the Navy, but your voices are known and trusted.

Longer term, there are some logistical and health issues we need your help with" Mathews paused as one who is setting up a joke.

"Health issues" Mary exclaimed. "I hope neither you nor any of your crew is ill?"

"No, No ... we are all very well, but there is only a score of us at the moment - well two score now.
If all goes to plan, by Autumn there will be around 100.
By next year there will be very, very many more counting RN, civilian and even Army workers.

We need to ensure a good supply of fresh food. Mary do you think you can spare space in your gardens to grow more vegetables. We really can't afford any recurrence of scurvy at this late date."

Authors Note:

This is the first of a series of short points picking out various elements of Captain Mortons cunning plans for Loch Ewe

Some as OTL (though many are shifted forward in time), some TTL only (but hopefully consistent and sensible)

I'll leave distinguishing which is which as an exercise for the reader

Last edited:
19. Tesserae: Londubh
10:12 23 July 1923, Harbour Masters Shelter, Mouth of the Ewe River

"Good Morning, Mr Sinclair. Thank for seeing me at such short notice"

"Nae problem, Commander Mathews, as I explained when you first arrived being Harbour Master here is more an honorary post than any real job. Though if what the Provost has told me about the old Iron Works site comes true that may change for a while" the old sailor chuckled.

"Ah and that is part of why I needed to talk to you. The Provost will not have told you this because I don't believe that Captain Horton has had a chance to pass on this item of good news. In addition to Vickers Engineering, another party has expressed an interest in coming to Loch Ewe. You know of course that the Navy has been conducting a detailed survey of the waters both inside and outside the Loch" Mathews paused

"Aye, as I understand it you used both your own wee submarine and that old drifter from Aultbea you had refitted" Mathews knew Sinclair had been a deck officer on "real" steamships and was well known to be dismissive of smaller vessels, though how much of this was habit since the old fellow was meticulous in his duties to any vessel from Poolewe and even from the many smaller havens around the loch.

"Now our results are vital for local use but we also forwarded them to London for other departments to study. Personally, I expected only the Chart Department to take notice, but the Weather and Ocean studies scientists were surprised by our figures of temperature and salinity. "

"To cut a long story short, the Met Office wants to set up a permanent measurement point and also temporarily base a team ... well better call it an expedition ... to explore the waters further. Normally I would recommend here at Poolewe itself but they aim to arrive later this summer ... "Mathews' voice trailed off hoping Sinclair would follow his train of thought

"Aye, all the work in the Harbour and the river mouth might get in their way. The strand west of the town is too close to the Iron Works site and whatever Vickers will be doing there. Hmm, that leaves East, perhaps as far as Londubh. I'm sure they could rent a cottage in the village as a base and there is space enough to set up any amount of wind and temperature kit above the strand there."

"What is that beach like? I've never seen anything bigger than a dinghy there on all my trips. Can a workboat - say with a 2 foot draft ... get in there. "

"Oh aye. It used to be done that way but nae muir. Wi' the river quayside one mile in this direction and Tournaig Haven mayhap a couple the other way no one bothers much. Especially as most folk prefer a mite bigger craft now"

"In that case, Mr Sinclair, I have a second question. Do you know anyone willing to hire out a small creeler, say 20 foot or so, preferably diesel engined?"

Authors Note:

There is indeed a Met measurement point in Loch Ewe established at around this date
(but at Poolewe itself and initially 'manned' by local staff - though I assume now automatic)

Last edited:
This is neat. I'm looking forward to seeing the RN's ASW techniques take a few jumps. This is a unique POD, and I'm watching it :)

>heath issues
>many more than 100 sailors
And thus the drabbletailed wretched of Ewe earn a wage.

This is neat. I'm looking forward to seeing the RN's ASW techniques take a few jumps. This is a unique POD, and I'm watching it :)

Thank you, I am glad you are enjoying my efforts. :extremelyhappy:

Apologies for the slow pace of this section. :(

As I have confessed before, each time I prepare a post it seems as if each one my locations has more to show and every one of my characters, whether RL or invented, has more to tell me.:rolleyes:

>heath issues
>many more than 100 sailors
And thus the drabbletailed wretched of Ewe earn a wage.

Indeed, but then I have always believed that with sufficient forethought Spocks logic, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few", need not always be true ;)

Last edited:
20. Tesserae: the Eastern Shore
19:00 17 August 1923, Bualnaluib School

The Headmaster looked out over the Senior Classroom. All the desks had been pushed to one side or the other and the chairs rearranged to give more legroom. The occupants of most of those chairs sat a little awkwardly, partly due to tension and partly because most were built on a larger scale than the everyday users of that furniture.

"As many here as are likely to get here. Not that we have much room in any case. " he thought to himself and nodded to the one standing figure by the doors in the back. His newest and youngest assistant teacher opened the doors and called quietly "If you are ready now gentlemen".

Two Naval Officers strode slowly up the central aisle, smiling and nodding to the whole group even pausing occasionally to exchange a greeting with a more familiar face. Eventually, they reached the blackboard and turned to stand beside the Head.

"Friends and Neighbours, thank you all for coming out this fine evening to hear what Captain Horton is free to tell us of his plans for the next few months. Without further delay, lay on Sir"

20:18

"If there are no more questions, I would like to quickly repeat the main points again" Captain Horton paused and the slight background of conversation died away. "Moving from North to South. First At Mellon"

Beside him Mathews indicated with the Yard rule he had borrowed from the School onto the Chart he had pinned against the blackboard at the beginning of the session.

"At Mellon itself, the RN currently plans little more than establishing a watch post looking out to sea.
Because of the distance from Poolewe itself, we propose that guards be billeted in the Cottages until suitable barracks can be built. We have not yet decided where.

These guards and lookouts, and others we need on the western shore of the Loch, will be from a small detachment of Royal Marines. The Marines will also be tasked with regular patrols in small boats around the ships anchored in reserve to the West of the Isle. As you have seen there are now 4 destroyers there. I have no doubt more will arrive soon.

More work will be done at a small bay inside the Loch... that is at Mellon Charles.
We propose to establish a Fueling station. We have chosen this distant location for two reasons.
Firstly for safety, since even a relatively small store of diesel, petrol and black oil is a significant fire risk.
Secondly, although this store will be mainly for the various small naval craft based in Loch Ewe,
it may occasionally be used by a visiting larger vessel which is probably easier nearer the entrance.

Because of limited time and funds available, the fuel will initially be kept in an old "bowser" barge anchored close in inshore.
This vessel will be manned by a small permanent naval crew also based at Mellon.
Hopefully, the RN may later be able to find a better solution, perhaps even larger onshore tanks if needed.

We know that this installation may be inconvenient to some fishermen so in compensation I have asked for and been given by my superiors permission to allow limited civilian use of the facility ... at a very reasonable charging rate"

That brought a wide grin to many of the sunburned faces.
Not only would time and fuel be saved but pennies too!

"Further South" Horton continued, with the ruler arcing to match his words. "I'm afraid we have no immediate plans for RN deployment at Aultbea but I can say I have been asked to survey both the pier at the point and the shore as far as Drumchork."

A burst of muted conversation erupted from the audience at that point. The crofters knew the Captain could only explicitly tell them what he was certain would be done but he was willing to give indications that even more might be possible.

Horton spoke just a little louder at first. "Moving on. Commander Mathews will be shifting his command R7 from the quay opposite the Isle. However, our Harbour tenders, especially the "Jamie" will continue to operate from there for the foreseeable future. The temporary barracks in the barn at the farm just inland will become extended and become my own permanent Headquarters. Given the traditional construction methods, we will be asking for local labourers to do this work.

And no, I can see some troubled faces at the back. We are NOT losing Commander Mathews quite yet. His submarine will simply shift to one of the spots he has already bouyed in the side waters at Turnaig Next week he will be joined by a second active submarine of the same type. All this is because a small specialised department of Naval personnel is moving into Tournaig itself next spring. As you may know, the RN has purchased some parish property for their shore offices. The two subs will be assigned to their use ... among other missions of course"

"I should also tell you the buildings and land at Tournaig require some alterations. The Army has agreed to do this work for us, so a small party of Royal Engineers will be arriving with heavy equipment by sea at Poolewe. In order to make the best use of their time, I have asked that they also be made available for other work in the area, with funds claimed back from the other sources as appropriate."

21:01

The Captain, his aide and the Head Master stood at the main outside door of the stone built school, shaking hands with the last of the audience.

"Thank you for the use of your space, Dominee" Horton said to the Head Teacher, turning to go.

"Excuse me, Captain. I was thinking, perhaps I should stay and help the staff put the classroom back in order" Mathews put in a determinedly helpful tone.

Horton smiled. " How thoughtful. See you at HQ in the morning, Mike." he stepped off towards the staff car and without looking back into the lit classroom called "Goodnight Head Master and Goodnight to you too Fiona"

school-perfect-day2.jpg

The school today

Authors Note:

In Scotland, the Protestant churches were very interested in universal education even as early as 1600. All the various sects founded many schools usually manned by their local clergyman. Over time this lead to the term "Dominee", properly only applied to a recognised Minister or Pastor, becoming commonly applied to the Schoolmaster even if not ordained

Last edited:
21. Tesserae: Lines of Communication
11:43 26 August 1923, Oran Na Mara, Drumchork

The outer office of the newly created SNOs HQ

"Any moment now!" the GPO man said putting the last of his tools into his canvas holdall. "Why don't you sit by the switchboard, mon?"

Newly promoted Petty Officer Morse sits at his desk studiously ignoring the small exchange placed in the corner of the room next to a low power wireless set. "Well, Donald, ordinarily, someone will be working here all day and night but on many other things. To make it a fair test, I can't hover over the board"

11:45
A bell sounds and a light appears on the switchboard.

Despite his pretence of nonchalance Morse nearly knocks over his chair in his haste to respond.
He drops onto the stool by the board, dons the clumsy bakelite headset and plugs into the socket by the light.
For the first time ever he announces "SNOs office." He pauses. "Yes, Postmaster. I can hear you fine. Mr McKenzie finished just a few minutes ago, including all the extensions we planned." another pause. "I'll check the Captain is ready. Please be patient, this is our first telephone call after all".

He unplugs from the lighted socket but without flicking the off switch,
inserts his headset into one of the row of labelled outputs below and cranks a lever to ring the unpowered extension.
There is only a moments delay before Captain Horton replies. "He's been poised too!" Morse thinks with a grin.
"The Postmaster at Poolewe is on the line for you Captain." Another short pause and without further comment Morse unplugs, cross-connects the incoming line and the extension.

Stripping the headset off, he swivels his stool to face the young engineer. "And that's that. The first of many I expect. Well done, Donald"

McKenzie can see that Morse is genuinely pleased. "Ah, was a pleasure to put my skills to use. There havena been much to do in that line since I came home from the War. Now we have plans till well into next spring. Apart from all the lines to the two Vickers sites, there is the installation at Tournaig House for the Professor. Every one of them is twice the size o yours"

"Sounds as if you are run off your feet, Donald me lad"

McKenzie chuckles "Nothing like ma sean-seanair... great-grandad to you sasenachs. He also worked for the post office and was truly ran off his feet for a score of years or more!" Seeing Morse's puzzled expression, Donald continued. "In his time, there was no rail depot closer than Dingwall and so little mail to travel here that a cart was not supplied. He spent his time walking to Dingwall and back wi a sack on his shoulder with only the Sabbath as a day of rest between."

Morse glanced at the wide area roadmap pinned to the wall beside a variety of other charts and maps. "But ... but, Dingwall is on the EAST coast, clear across Scotland. It must be 50 miles!"

"Sixty in those days. But this has always been a hard place to live. A crofting or fishing family makes a living any way they can, hiring kin out for seasonal or temporary work as well. I think your officers understand that well enough. You ken how the Captain insisted that all the new telephone and telegraph poles be from the local forestry and that all the labour should be local too if they had the skills."

"He insists it's just common sense... and I suppose the lines are going up quickly none the less." Morse replied thoughtfully. "Is it true that the Eastern branch as far as Mellon will be done before the Winter Storms set in and the Western section through Inverasdale and onto the Lighthouse will be done by Spring?"

"Aye, that's about right. We'll be working close to town during the worst weather .. on the Vickers buildings and the new Army camp on Mission road. But my bet is the Captain .. and the Commander too .. are intent on building more than just wires between the folk on Loch Ewe, in uniform or not"

Authors note:

Donald McKenzie the elder was a RL resident of Poolewe and his trek to and fro also OTL
(Though not perhaps for a score of years. I am sure the story grew in the telling)

I don't know if he had a great-grandson named for him but he does have descendants alive today

I won't be posting much after today until next week. :frown:
Family trip north, though not as far as Loch Ewe

Last edited:
22. Tesserae: The Hunger Roads
11:15 19 September 1923, Gairloch Manse, the Morning Room looking along the coast to Carn Dearg

"Please sit Commander Mathews. I am sure my wife will be back with our tea soon enough"

Mathews was doubly uncomfortable with this 'diplomatic' mission both because of the news he carried and being Anglican born and bred he was unfamiliar with how to address a Presbyterian cleric. He positioned himself on the old Chesterfield and waited till the Minister had made himself comfortable in the adjacent wing chair. Somewhat diffidently he began "Captain Horton sends his regards and apologises for not coming himself... "

The Minister smiled and interrupted "No need for that. We know how busy you all have been in Loch Ewe."

"Ah ... and that is another thing my Captain has asked me to apologise for. We have been busy and we like to think have made progress but unfortunately, our efforts have had little effect on the West Side of the Loch Ewe and almost none on the Western Seacoast here at Gairloch and further north. Nor can we promise much greater impact next year, unless much greater funds become available."

"You forget Commander, how widely scattered my flock is.
I have eyes almost as far east as Ullapool and as far south as KinLochEwe.
As for my wife, she is a member of the Rural and hears all the gossip from an even wider area.
We know not only what you are trying to achieve but respect the ways you are choosing to work towards your goals."

The Minister paused and seemed to smile to himself. Eventually, he went on.

"That ... let me call it good neighbourly policy ... is a tradition in this part of Scotland and we who live here appreciate your efforts."

Mathews looked reassured and puzzled at the same time. "Well, I'm glad to hear that but I don't understand about tradition unless you mean simple hospitality.. which would be the other way round now that I come to think on it"

"Oh no ... it's more we in Cromarty and Ross have been lucky that our landowners have been more concerned with the community than with squeezing out the maximum profit.

Not just because they have often been the local Clan Chiefs either.

Let me give you two recent examples..

No doubt you have heard of the Highland Clearances where landlords forced crofters off their rented land to put it to more profitable use... "

When Mathews nodded, the Minister continued "we had none of that here The 15th Baronet would force no one to leave, so much so that many of those who lost their place elsewhere came to settle here. That's why there are so many small settlements along the coast, created when the land tenure scheme was modernised"

"That would be Lady Mairis grandfather?" Mathews put in.

"Indeed. My wife and I have both heard that the RN has enlisted Mrs Hanbury to help at Loch Ewe. You could not have made a better choice. She is not in line for a formal title or even clan honours but that apple did not fall far from the tree!"

"And the other example? " Mathews was by now intrigued.

"That would be the Potato Blight. You look surprised! Despite what most think that curse was NOT confined to Ireland. It hit here a few years later with no better cure available.

In some cases, whole villages succumbed and the Government would only provide funds for relief if they were spent as wages in return for work. Thanks be to God, the lairds at that time had learned some lessons from the Irish disaster and insisted that the money be spent making real improvements. The roads we got at least went to useful destinations, not from nowhere to nowhere as in some places oer there.

Did you not say earlier that you are on your way to Achnasheen?"

"Yes, I am meeting the Stationmaster at 3 pm" Mathews replied

"Good luck with that young man. You see the road onwards is still a 'Hunger Road' built by hand over what was barely a pony track in the 1860s.

It's barely a cart track even now. I hope your car has good suspension!"

Authors Note:

truth is often more interesting than fiction

the Rural is an early Scottish form of the Women's Institute

Last edited: