Die Atombomben der Bundesrepublik: An Oral History of Germany's Nuclear Weapons Program

I'm curious how one might do this. If one could steal the fissile U or Pu from the device & leave some non-fissile U or Pu, would the owner of the bomb even notice? Do they chemically test it every so often? Now I suspect they would weigh it, & would measure the radioactivity. So I'm going to remove the 235U from the device, & replace it with a mixture of reactor waste U (which is slightly more radioactive from 236U) & depleted U which is less radioactive so the amount of radioactivity is Goldilocks.

Pu is somewhat more difficult. Pu from waste contains 241Pu with a half-life of 14 years, which measured in Becquerels is > 99% of the radioactivity. But it's a very low energy β decay & the radioactivity will decrease much more rapidly. But I can't use U because it's much less radioactive. So I'm going to make a fake bomb with Pu from waste with a tiny layer of Uranium surrounding it. The β-rays won't penetrate the U, & again the radioactivity will be Goldilocks.

I'm curious how one might do this. If one could steal the fissile U or Pu from the device & leave some non-fissile U or Pu, would the owner of the bomb even notice? Do they chemically test it every so often? Now I suspect they would weigh it, & would measure the radioactivity. So I'm going to remove the 235U from the device, & replace it with a mixture of reactor waste U (which is slightly more radioactive from 236U) & depleted U which is less radioactive so the amount of radioactivity is Goldilocks.

Pu is somewhat more difficult. Pu from waste contains 241Pu with a half-life of 14 years, which measured in Becquerels is > 99% of the radioactivity. But it's a very low energy β decay & the radioactivity will decrease much more rapidly. But I can't use U because it's much less radioactive. So I'm going to make a fake bomb with Pu from waste with a tiny layer of Uranium surrounding it. The β-rays won't penetrate the U, & again the radioactivity will be Goldilocks.
They're going to steal the whole weapon, not just the radioactive material.