De Havilland Vampire enters service in 1944

Either, or both.

Certainly the majority produced would go to the RAF but a small number of Sea Vampires is possible if the will is there. Even a single flight of Sea Vampires on one of the carriers in the Pacific before the end of the war would have more of an impact on things later on than a whole wing of Vampires operational in Belgium in 1945. Neither changes the outcome of the air war but the effect on the post war years could be interesting.
Thanks. I was just wondering if the carriers could handle them. Land based aircraft would still be good when around (assuming the idea is they provide an extra defence against kamikazes).

Thanks. I was just wondering if the carriers could handle them. Land based aircraft would still be good when around (assuming the idea is they provide an extra defence against kamikazes).
The first carrier landing and take off by a jet was from the Colossus class light fleet carrier (14,000 tons) in December 1945. That jet was a Vampire.

If the Nene was used in both the Vampire and Meteor, could that higher demand for those engines scuttle the decision to sell them to the Soviets later? Or perhaps the Goblin is offered instead? How would this impact the MiG-15 development?

ric350

Well it replaces the Seafires in the BPL as the anti Kamikaze interceptors, though I expect the Sea Vampire lacks the range for joining in attacks on the Japanese mainland.
The Vampire had a combat radius of something like 400-450 miles. Call it 400 to allow for some combat time.

I really like your idea. The reaction of the pilots/maintenance crews, when an Vampire has to land on an American Carrier would be funny to read ,,

Would a Vampire be better able to tackle an Okha?

An earlier introduction of the Vampire may also lead to a more thorough evaluation of the usefulness of keeping on the cramped Illustrious class carriers - might this change the planning for the post war carrier fleet - there was a thread awhile back about the impact of a third audacious class carrier - this might provide a spur for the same

I really like your idea. The reaction of the pilots/maintenance crews, when an Vampire has to land on an American Carrier would be funny to read ,,
Never mind them, think of Halsey's reaction if one had to land on his flagship. Think of the signals he'd be sending up the chain of command.

The thing is.. First generation Jets were not the huge improv over the last Generation Props that they are often believed to have been. Yes they would rapidly evolve into a fighter that was significantly better but that is not happening in 45 or 48. And if you advance them enough to do that then the US is going yo get a jet sooner as well.

As for the Vampire.. yes it was a good jet but I think its short comings would have been more detrimental for the end of the Pacific war then benefit.
Japan didn’t have anything that needed a Jet to counter and range and maintain ance for early jets was in general a problem. That probably would offset the speed advantage they had. They were about 50-60 mph faster than aircraft the US could have been using on its flat tops.
So yes they were better but they had trade offs.
So let’s not pretend we are looking at an F-4 Phantom 2 here.

It is certainly one of the coolest looking airplanes ever built. I think it would have been put to excellent use by the RAF for V1 interceptions as mentioned. Also anything else high, fast and Germanic like those Luftwaffe high altitude recon planes. Basically anything nearby that one needed to dash after. But range was the great restricter for other work. Maybe after Allied airbases are operational on the Continent the RAF pilots might have a go at the Me 262s. My money's on the Brits.
Vampire_FB9s_213_Sqn_RAF_over_Egypt_1952.jpg

Nene was too big for the Meteor, although one was test flown on a pair. There were proposals for an Avon Meteor but that's much later. Rolls did scale the Nene down, as the Derwent IV, and these were used from the Meteor F3 onwards, with the later long chord cowlings introduced largely with the F4.

IIRC, the Vampire F2 was to have had the Nene but it never went further than prototypes.

I'm surprised that no-one else has thought of another benefit to a Vampire squadron or two joining the BPF. Namely, a quick climb with a few kegs under the wings and, cool beer for Jack Tar. From my experience a cool pint or two goes down a treat in the Tropics.

Is there any way of a standard fuselage rather than the twin boom with the Goblin engine at this time - bifuricated exhaust?

Is there any way of a standard fuselage rather than the twin boom with the Goblin engine at this time - bifuricated exhaust?
AIUI the whole point of using the twin boom was to avoid having the losses of thrust from a long or complicated exhaust system. So you could probably build a Vampire without the twin boom, but you would likely have consequences in performance.

AIUI the whole point of using the twin boom was to avoid having the losses of thrust from a long or complicated exhaust system. So you could probably build a Vampire without the twin boom, but you would likely have consequences in performance.
Oh it was , at least that's what I have read, but was wondering whether say bifuricated exhausts as on the Hawker Sea Hawk would be possible with 3,000lb Goblin vs the 5,000lb Nene or whether that kills performance.