DBWI: Some Manner of... Industrial Revolution?

Dear Sirs,

Many times have I enjoyed this journal, with it's simulating discussions of how Alexander's Campaigns and many other great events of antiquity may have gone in contrary directions if so decreed by fate, and many of you have greatly enjoyed my Historical Romances about a English victory in the Hundred Year War. But of late I have been given to thinking that the history of our Christendom was shaped by more than the deeds of noble lords and their knights, and how the social order of mankind may be upset in more ways than the raging of the uncouth mobs.

Thus, I ask the editor and the readers of this fine publication to consider how the order of our civilisation may have been upset if marvellous devices, in the manner of the lauded printing press, had been built capable of replicating and improving upon the works of the hardy artisan in such a manner as to make the artisan no longer a skilled workman but merely a operator of such devices. Surely such a thing, while fantastical, would cause great chaos in the fabric of our beloved country, and indeed throughout the whole world even unto Cathay. Why, such devices would surely be the doom of the old order, and bring about a whole new society. So I ask you, dear readers, to send in your suggestions as to how such devices would change the shape of our world.

PS: I kindly ask the editor to refrain from placing my letter in the Myths, Gods and Beasts section. Such a thing would demean the seriousness of my question.

Last edited:
Sir,

Methinks we might consider the work of the celebrated Italian prodigy, Leonard of Vinchy, whose fantastical sketches included such wonders as devices to propel man through the air or the depth of the seas. I have conducted a correspondence with the celebrated expert, Colonel Smithers of the Royal Society, and I am assured that such designs are not scientifically impossible, merely beyond the technical capacity of our civilization. Perhaps if Milord of Vinchy had turned his attention to devices for the furtherance of human industry rather than fantastical transport, our world might have attained a higher state of technical proficiency unimaginable to the modern academic.

I also pray thee caution against discounting the exploits of Alexander. It is the consensus of the learned gentlemen contributors to this journal that the Great King, had he but lived to his allotted Threescore and Ten, should have conquered the whole temperate zone of the old world, from Ireland to Cipango. His realm would surely have brought great innovation in its drive to complete the conquest of the Earth, perhaps including new designs to increase human industry.

I hope that these humble musings may be worthy of your consideration, and contribute to the enjoyable pursuit of this inquiry.

Yours in Science,

Baron Southwick

My Dear Sirs,

Never in life have mine eyes beheld such blasphemy! The technologic contrapsuns so described are the works of the imps and demons of Hades, not of the godly! Beware, lest I dispatch a Warning to the Holy Inquisition in Paris! Tho, mayhap a stretch on the rack with the cleansing Flames of Truth lapping at your flesh to burn out such impure thoughts would do your immortal soul well. You have been warned!

Yrs in the Bleeding Lamb of Christ,

Roland the Pious

Dear Sirs,

Many times have I enjoyed this journal, with it's simulating discussions of how Alexander's Campaigns and many other great events of antiquity may have gone in contrary directions if so decreed by fate, and many of you have greatly enjoyed my Historical Romances about a English victory in the Hundred Year War. But of late I have been given to thinking that the history of our Christendom was shaped by more than the deeds of noble lords and their knights, and how the social order of mankind may be upset in more ways than the raging of the uncouth mobs.

Thus, I ask the editor and the readers of this fine publication to consider how the order of our civilisation may have been upset if marvellous devices, in the manner of the lauded printing press, had been built capable of replicating and improving upon the works of the hardy artisan in such a manner as to make the artisan no longer a skilled workman but merely a operator of such devices. Surely such a thing, while fantastical, would cause great chaos in the fabric of our beloved country, and indeed throughout the whole world even unto Cathay. Why, such devices would surely be the doom of the old order, and bring about a whole new society. So I ask you, dear readers, to send in your suggestions as to how such devices would change the shape of our world.

PS: I kindly ask the editor to refrain from placing my letter in the Myths, Gods and Beasts section. Such a thing would demean the seriousness of my question.

OOC: This thread is kinda ASB, sad to say. How could an Industrial Revolution NOT develop, really, barring a supervolcano or K/T event? :confused:

OOC: This thread is kinda ASB, sad to say. How could an Industrial Revolution NOT develop, really, barring a supervolcano or K/T event? :confused:
OOC: That's not the ASB part, we are talking over the internet in a world where there was no industrial revolution mind=blown.

OOC: Hey, it didn't for thousands of years, why couldn't it have been "delayed" a few centuries more? Let's say the Mongols sack all Europe, or serfdom holds on in Western Europe as it did in Eastern Europe, or the Black Death kills 80% of Eurasia instead of OTL's third or so. You could argue that any of these prevents the Industrial Revolution at least up till 2012, with at least as much plausibility as the possibility of the Song dynasty having an Industrial Revoluion in the 1100s - which I wouldn't call ASB by any means.

Dear Sirs,

While I have as much admiration for the works of d' Vinchy as any man living, I must wonder what circumstances would compel the crowned heads of Europe to bring these marvels out of the realm of phantasie? Perhaps if the hordes of Tartary, offspring of Gog and Magog, were to descend upon Christendom in full force, some advantage against them might be gained through superiority in the mechanickal arts, and thus propel forward the study of science. For the passage of arms has been observed over time to give rise to such devices as the "cross-bow" which were not known in the days of the Greeks and Romans. Still, in such a case, would not the sums of money involved be better spent on the equipage of more conventional troops and the hiring of mercenaries? And what devices of war might find themselves suited use in times of peace, even as the Bible speaks of swords being hammered into plowshares?

Your servant,

Thomas of Normandy

Peasants are hard enough to control, concentrated in the numbers required for such industrious actions would surely lead to them uniting and revolting against the rightful sovereign.

birdboy2000

Banned
Yet peasants revolting successfully is not unknown in history. Certainly, peasant failures are much better known - but consider the Swiss Confederacy for an example of how a peasant-led state might function. Ideologies, too, would be impacted; if there are peasants capable of taking and holding political power, they might look towards ideas like those of the Greeks, where power derives rightfully from the citizens and not God. Perhaps such an industrial era would look like the Reformation in its far-reaching strife, but with peasant atheism instead of still-monarchical protestantism!

Dear Sirs,

Perhaps this scenarioe could be possible if the heathen Turks hadn't sacked Vienna, Munich, Venice, Florence, and other great cities. Who knows what great minds and developments we lost?

Sincerely,
Vladimir Tepes of New Oxford-Tenochtitlán