DBWI: Pope Leo III didn't crown himself Emperor?

6d94c73cfabdfb9153b51cad0856fac8.jpg

Surely Pope Leo III was mad when, after having King Charles personally schlepp all the way down from Paris to Rome, crowned himself Holy Roman Emperor on Christmas 800AD; unifying the Potificate and the Imperial crown and becoming Augustus Pontificatus in the process.

I know historians note that Charlemagne's protection after Leo's flight to Paderborn may have given him the idea that such a move would both politically marginalize his enemies in Rome and be supported by the Frankish King.
But asking then most powerful monarch in Europe, let alone the one that helped protect you from your enemies, to kneel and kiss your ring as a gesture of fealty at your self-cornanation was just plain...stupid.

So what if Leo didn't do this?

Might the Frankish-Imperial Papal war and subsequent excommunicatin of Charlemagne been prevented?

Last edited:
Franks might remain Catholics instead that they would form Frankish Church. If Leo the Idiot wouldn't have crown himself, Christianisation of Europe would has been faster process and we perhaps would have seen some wars fewer.

There is too small chance that Franks would has been able Iberian Christians capturing area back from Moors. But like we know, Córdoban Caliphate became very strong colonial power.

If Leo hadnt had himself crowned the Franks may not have invaded and incorporated Brittania into their kingdom Ireland would thus not be the Last True Christian land of western europe.
Sorry for my English I will rewrite my post when I have time.

OOC: BTW, how linguistically accurate is the title Augustus Pontificatus

It sounds so bad ass, but I am not sure it would even make sense etymologically :closedeyesmile:

Last edited:
Well, Charlemagne wouldn't have sacked Rome in 802, which led to Rome basically becoming a glorified village. The Saxons may have been conquered too, instead of remaining independent of the Carolingian empire for a few decades after Charlemagne's death. One last effect may be that the Carolingians don't end up shunning and repressing Roman influence without a hostile pope, enforcing Germanic influences in their empire.