DBWI: No Gaelic Republic

Hi y'all,

I was wondering what would have happened if there had been no Poblachd na Gàidhlig.
As you know, after the miners strikes went semi-insurrectionary, that the UK only won the Falklands war through very heavy US support and that Tchatcher was assassinated by an Irish Republican, Scotland declared independance and then joined the newly reunited Republic of Ireland.
Those were a few crazy years and relations with "Great" Britain are still... frosty. I wonder what it would have taken for all that not to happen, it looks crazy but in retrospect I'm not sure what else would have worked, Scotland couldn't stand entirely on its own and the Eire didn't have the money to integrate Ulster

'Great Britain' is a pretty salty way to refer to the British Democratic Republic, next you will be calling us all English or 'sassenachs'.
The idea that it was only the morally pure' celtic nations who rose 'up to dismantle the undemocratic and corrupt United Kingdom is a toxic meme that is being incresingly spread by certain gaelic politicians these days.

If it had just been the Scots or the Irish to object nothing would have changed. Remember it was only after the Joint Northern Councils Declaration and the great london riot that Thatcher capitulated. Everyone did their part Londoners, Yorkshiremen, Welsh, Cornish, and yes even the Scots. Some people just stayed around to help pick up the pieces, instead of bailing out with all the oil wealth and leaving the rest of us to rot.

Frosty relations tend to happen when you clamp down on cross border traffic and start blaming all your problems on other people.
Just like President Carmicheal said; one of these days the gallies will push us too far, and then you'll be reminded that there is more of us than there is of you.

Last edited:
'Great Britain' is a pretty salty way to refer to the British Democratic Republic, next you will be calling us all English or 'sassenachs'.
The idea that it was only the morally pure' celtic nations who rose 'up to dismantle the undemocratic and corrupt United Kingdom is a toxic meme that is being incresingly spread by certain gaelic politicians these days.

If it had just been the Scots or the Irish to object nothing would have changed. Remember it was only after the Joint Northern Councils Declaration and the great london riot that Thatcher capitulated. Everyone did their part Londoners, Yorkshiremen, Welsh, Cornish, and yes even the Scots. Some people just stayed around to help pick up the pieces, instead of bailing out with all the oil wealth and leaving the rest of us to rot.
Is that the official propaganda these days? She didn't capitulate as much as she was ran out of town...

Frosty relations tend to happen when you clamp down on cross border traffic and start blaming all your problems on other people.
Just like President Carmicheal said; one of these days the gallies will push us too far, and then you'll be reminded that there is more of us than there is of you.
Shit, with declarations like that no wonder you don't have full EU membership anymore. Keep it up and you'll have the Eurocorps on the border again!

Shit, with declarations like that no wonder you don't have full EU membership anymore. Keep it up and you'll have the Eurocorps on the border again!
Ah yes, just like '98. When things arn't going your way, scuttle behind Strasbourg's skirts and cry victimhood. Things are very different now though, mama Europe has enough problems smacking Turkey into line.

Rest assured we are prepared this time, and we won't be disarmed again.

Ah yes, just like '98. When things arn't going your way, scuttle behind Strasbourg's skirts and cry victimhood. Things are very different now though, mama Europe has enough problems smacking Turkey into line.

It's not about hiding behind skirts. Crossborder smuggling is a very important concern, it's not our fault you can't police your own citizens to not send drugs to Glasgow.
I also wonder where those unionist extremist in Belfast got their weapons too by the way, my aunt was two streets away from the Moore Street bombing last year

Anyway, do you guys think it could have been avoided? What about the UK seat at the Security Council? That's a whole other debate

OOC: You are aware that this is nigh ASB? Religion alone would make this impossible.
Nigh ASB is why it's kinda fun though.
If very hard on religious grounds, I do imagine a common identity could be built on those Gaelic roots as Gaelge and Scotsgael are mutually intelligible

Nigh ASB is why it's kinda fun though.
If very hard on religious grounds, I do imagine a common identity could be built on those Gaelic roots as Gaelge and Scotsgael are mutually intelligible
They’ve always been mutually intelligible and they remain that way despite the introduction of Unified Gaelic in the schools. Mostly it’s the old generation that still speak the dialects.

The UN Security Council seat, as you know, rotates between the BDR and the PNG each year. The BDR, being a nuclear power, is not pleased to share the veto, but they managed to reach a compromise when the PNG renounced neutrality and joined NATO. The compromise, of course, is that the PNG has to increase military spending to a level of percent of GDP within 0.5% of the BDR.

Anchises

Banned

Europe is not going to stand by when the British Isles are drawn into a maelstrom of violence.

And lets be real here, the EU is pushing for some kind of political union for at least a decade now. The border isn't feasible and no one is willing to deploy the Europcorps again just because the Gaelic nationalists are to stubborn to accept reality.

Sorry guys, I was at a seminar about customs and smuggling. Amazing what can fit in a human body really.

They’ve always been mutually intelligible and they remain that way despite the introduction of Unified Gaelic in the schools. Mostly it’s the old generation that still speak the dialects.
Yeah, it's good there was an effort to standardise the writing. Even if the vast majority of people already spoke Gaelic, centuries of English oppression had done a number on the written form. If it hadn't been for the courage of all those who kept it alive despite its harsh ban, I'm not sure where we'd be today.

The UN Security Council seat, as you know, rotates between the BDR and the PNG each year. The BDR, being a nuclear power, is not pleased to share the veto, but they managed to reach a compromise when the PNG renounced neutrality and joined NATO. The compromise, of course, is that the PNG has to increase military spending to a level of percent of GDP within 0.5% of the BDR.
There's also the whole kerfuffle about those military bases, like the port in Scotland for the Trident. It's technically still British. It's crazy when you think about it, it was one of the cleanest place I'd ever been to. They hold open days where you can touch the Nuclear Submarine and everything.
I mean, just imagine how many drug rehab programs you could fund if they didn't insist on keeping those weapons program and all those bases

Biggest boondoggle in Europe is Unified Gaelic. Only 2% of Irish and 1% of Scots use it on a daily basis.

(OOC - those are actual figures for Scots / Irish Gaelic today)

Biggest boondoggle in Europe is Unified Gaelic. Only 2% of Irish and 1% of Scots use it on a daily basis.
That's just because the English dominated network wouldn't give it any visibility, it doesn't mean people didn't speak it back then. That was all the plan from Whitehall to erase our native culture, push it away, make us look foolish. But we didn't forget.

Why would all the signs have been in Gaelic and English if your numbers are correct?

[OOC: Of course, you're correct, but I'm trying to show a... particular political stance]