Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

As for me, I picked up Holy Fury, gonna hold off on playing it until CK2+ updates, though. Can't play without their reforms to factions.

So after thinking it over, I've decided to put my current Shattered World French game on hold for the time being. I might get back to it at a later point but right now I don't have enough motivation to deal with all the problem I'm likely to deal with in that game.

Instead, I decided to do another Shattered World game. It basically had the same rules and settings as the one I did previously, exceptat I forgot to make everyone Feudal so everyone's started with historical governments (Steppe Nomads, Tribals in North and Eastern Europe as well as Africa) and I changed game rules to make revolts rarer (because I wanted to see if Heresies would still be as strong as they were in my previous run) and adventurers rarer too (because they're annoying). The big change was that I decided to start as a Zunist for the lulz: my first character was Zuha, the Shaykah of Bost. Funny how in my two Shattered World games I started playing women...

And so far... Oh boy, that was a doozy. Compared to my French game, I have the impression that I'm playing on Easy mode. I have had no real troubles expanding, and none of the wars I fought proved particularly difficult. Mind you, that's probably because the Conquest CB in Shattered World is probably a bit OP as you get prestige, piety, all the holdings and 1% moral authority to your pagan religion for 20 years... That has actually helped me a lot getting my desmene to its maximum size quickly as well as replacing troublesome non-Zunist rulers by proper Zunist ones.

Since I started as a Pagan, I joined a Warrior's Lodge with both of my characters. I'm really loving that new society but I think the bonuses it give might be a little bit OP. I have never managed to capture so many people in battle (that generally end up sacrificed to Zun) or during sieges. Also, the special tactical trait you get at rank 2 feels really cheap, as does the fact you get to pick a lifestyle at rank 4 (even if it's resrticted to Hunter, Duelist or Strategist). Aside from that, really loving the fluff.

In terms of Characters, Shaykah Zuha became Emira of Sistan during her reign and had conquered nearly half of the Satrapy of Makran when she died as a result of wounds she sustained during battle. Currently playing as her eldest son Banham... best known as "the Great Tiger". He's working his way to build his Legend right now but quite frankly he's already done a lot to build it from my POV: he finished the conquest of Makran, declared himself Shah of Sistan, conquered the Satrapies of Zabulistan and Khorasan as well as three of the four counties making up the Satrapy of Herat. And he's been a complete beast on the battlefield.

Currently working on my way to finish the conquest the Shadom of Khorasan so that I get my third holy site in Kabul. I normally would have gone for it earlier but its conquest has been delayed for various reasons. I wanted to go for it after I finished conquering Zabulistan but the ruler at the time was involved in a defensive holy war and I wasn't sure I wouldn't end up facing his allies' armies. Then Kabul got conquered by a realm that was as large as my own so I wanted to get bigger and stronger before the shock. But when I reached that fact, my Warrior's Lodge gave me missions that required me to attack other counties owned by the same ruler that owned Kabul... So I've been waiting for either Kabul to be conquered by someone else or for the truces I have to expire...

After I get Kabul and all of Khorasan, I'm probably going to invade Punjab for the fourth Holy Site just so I can reform Zunism. It annoys me a bit because I'd rather finish conquering the Empire of Persia first but I'm probably a bit too slow to keep the bonuses of County Conquests to hold long enough for Moral Authority to reach 50% with three Holy Sites only.

I've only one shadow on my game... Despite the fact I started with everyone on Primogeniture in my settings, because I'm an unreformed pagan, all the Ducal and higher ranked titles I had created were automatically put under Gavelkind succession. I don't mind it that much for now but I'd like to correct that fact as soon as possible.

I Have noticed that it seems that one or the other usually dominates the other in the 769 start.
In past games I've played Francia has usually conquered part of Catalonia and backed Asturias, etc. up against the Umayyads but hasn't dominated them in the same way as has happened to them in this run.

Okay, now this is epic.

It's really fun. I started as the Idrisids in 867, formed the Shia Caliphate with my second ruler. My empire now comprises the kingdoms of Maghreb, Africa, Ghana, Mali, Songhay, and Hausaland. I control the African trade route and I'm looking to expand into Spain and Italy once my threat level goes down. Until then the Norway has my full support as it expands against its neighbours.

Umm... So in my game Iceland turned into a nomadic Irish Catholic state.

How did nomads even get there? Can a province become nomadic?

Umm... So in my game Iceland turned into a nomadic Irish Catholic state.

How did nomads even get there? Can a province become nomadic?

The Icelanders travel across the volcanic hills and rocks of Iceland, tending to their great flocks of Greenland Shark.

The Icelanders travel across the volcanic hills and rocks of Iceland, tending to their great flocks of Greenland Shark.
Haha. Reminds me of a story idea I had once with nomads who travel around on boats and grow oranges on them, who mostly eat fish and can talk to dolphins.

Something real fucky happened. So I took a closer look at Iceland as I turned off for the night, the nomadic provinces have some monasteries in them. They are ruled by norse pagans, which would be fine if it weren't for the fact that the nomadic ruler is an irish catholic. Iceland is also one of the last solid safe places for Catholics as mainland Europe looks like somebody puked up heresy all over the place.

Something real fucky happened. So I took a closer look at Iceland as I turned off for the night, the nomadic provinces have some monasteries in them. They are ruled by norse pagans, which would be fine if it weren't for the fact that the nomadic ruler is an irish catholic. Iceland is also one of the last solid safe places for Catholics as mainland Europe looks like somebody puked up heresy all over the place.
Did you try to import a 2.8 game into 3.0?

What probably happened is that the Norse raided an Icelandic county so heavily that they burned down the church holding completely. Once that happens, the holding is nomadic and is taken over by a nomadic government. From 769, Iceland starts occupied by Irish theocracies.

Papar horse lords of Iceland? Hell yeah.

My current Zunist Shattered World game is still progressing extremly well.

Banham "the Great Tiger" is now in his sixties, but he's still battling and conquering over and over. And when he doesn't, his vassals do wage war on their own, which still increases the size of the Zuhaid* Shahdom. Not only do I own all of de-jure Sistan, Khosaran is nearly completely under my control thanks to the collapse of a rival kingdom I had on my Northern border. And I also have started invading de-jure Punjab, because my last Holy Sites is placed there.

Religious-wise, only the core of my Empire is Zunist. By this I mean all the starting provinces that are Zunist in 769 (Bost, Zaranj, Farrah) plus the last province of the de-jure Duchy of Sistan that wasn't at the start (Zahedan I think). The rest is mostly Zoroastrian, Khurmaztans or Buddhists with one Islamic province. Doing my best to raise Zunist Moral Authority but despite me owning three holy sites, I'm still only between 37 and 39%, which might explain the slow conversion rate. Things should be easier once I get Multan, which should make it easier to reform the religion later on.

Banham might be getting old but frankly he's still a fucking badass. He's still leading his armies (27 martial), he's still engaging in battles and he's still dueling. And so far, he hasn't lost a single duel in combat. Hell, he even managed to complete his legend, so now he has a special bloodline that will be passed down to his descendants. Speaking of which, the whole family seems badass as I've nearly recruited them all in the Keepers of the Flame, my Warrior's Lodge. Banham's eldest son and heir Azyan is even already ranked Hero in the Lodge. Also, one of Banham's nephews created his own bloodline via becoming a Legend in the Lodge.

Speaking of Bloodlines, as I started with no Great Conquerors, there were none existing at the start. Aside from Banham and his nephew's bloodline, only two have been created so far. The first is a Catholic Saint. The second is that of the Jain King... of Armenia. I don't know how the fuck that happened.

In regards to the overall world situation, a few interesting things I've noticed:
  • Europe is plagued by Christian heresies... Yet Catholic moral authority is at 100%
  • There is ONE Hellenic ruler. He's located in the Peloponese.
  • Norway seems to be the one of the first Kingdoms to have risen in Europe.

*Zuhaid is the name of my dynasty. Likely because the first character I played was Shaykah Zuah of Bost, Banham's mother.

What probably happened is that the Norse raided an Icelandic county so heavily that they burned down the church holding completely. Once that happens, the holding is nomadic and is taken over by a nomadic government. From 769, Iceland starts occupied by Irish theocracies.

Papar horse lords of Iceland? Hell yeah.
I know that they start as Irish theocracies, but what I am confused about is that the temples are still there.

I'VE DONE IT!

Zunism is going to be reformed! As I thought, conquering Multan has made it easy for me to reform the religion. I've just reached 50% morale authority, I have four of the five holy sites and I've got more than enough piety to make it happen!

As I had said a few pages back, I'm going for a Dogmatic nature, the Ancestor Veneration and Dawnbreaker doctrines as well as a Temporal leadership. As a result, Azyan Zuhaid, Shah of Sistan, will now be known as Dastur Azyan and gain a pretty... weird Sun Crown to be honest. Not that much a fan of the design. But who cares!

For those keeping track, Azyan is the son and heir of Banham "the Great Tiger". Banham died at the age of 64 and his conquests were one of the main reasons I was able to reform Zunism. Still, Azyan continue his father's work and now he'll get to be the first Dastur of the Zunist faith.

Can't wait to use the Ancestor Worship ability.

Also, next stop: finish conquering Persia!

My ethnically Chinese, culturally French Empress of Outremer, Solene D'Anjou, Maga of the Order of Hermes and Destroyer of the Islamic faith (because she declared the Empire following her ancestors' conquests...she has never actually fought a war because her threat was so high)...just proved to the world that the House of Anjou is 100% descended from Alexander the Great.

On to India I guess.