Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

libbrit

Banned
Having download a lot of Dormis excellent modifications on the Cusader Kings Steam workshop, one thing confuses me.

The Damascus Sword option, which is undoubtedly a blatant rip off of the GoT Valyrian sword concept.

Am i supposed to be able to hand it to my child, because it doesnt appear to work that way.

Asami

Banned
Having download a lot of Dormis excellent modifications on the Cusader Kings Steam workshop, one thing confuses me.

The Damascus Sword option, which is undoubtedly a blatant rip off of the GoT Valyrian sword concept.

Am i supposed to be able to hand it to my child, because it doesnt appear to work that way.

It's not so impressive. :p

I've got a question regarding the Ruler Designer DLC for those who have you used it. How do you use it generally?

I ask because I find it rather hard to balance a custom character's stats.

I've got a question regarding the Ruler Designer DLC for those who have you used it. How do you use it generally?

Homosexual/Lustful is something you should almost always do unless there's a compelling reason otherwise for the character you're making; they're both "negatives" that effectively cancel out in the most critical way (indeed, there's a net fertility bonus with both; the game essentially interprets characters with both as being Depraved Bisexuals, though romance events will still lean toward the same sex - which means an effectively zero chance of bastards from your extramarital liaisons, but a bonus to children chance with your legitimate spouse). For a few extra points, start out with Wounded, too; if you die from the wound, it'll happen fairly quickly and you can restart, and most of the time it'll heal and you'll end up Scarred, which is actually a positive trait.

If you don't mind doubling down on anti-piety, a few more can be gained with Cynical, which is positive otherwise. Also, Ambitious is rarely worth it; Quick costs less, actually gives you higher trait bonuses and has a base chance to naturally pass on to your heir, though it admittedly doesn't provide as many opportunities as Ambitious does. Genius, on the other hand, is overpriced for what you get for it, at least in my opinion; same with Attractive.

Those are what I've learned over using it in a variety of games.

ALWAYS TAKE PATIENT! It is only good and it gives you one year.

So I've been playing this as part of my more general attempt to get into Paradox games (and after playing it and Victoria I can actually understand the first game I tried to play in the series, Rome). I played a few little games to get more familiar with the mechanics, the whole vassal system confused me spectacularly for quite a while for instance. Got my ass kicked several times before I realized how the levy system worked, etc. then I started up a Byzantine Empire game and have now reached the year 1300 and things have started to fall apart. Over the past several hundred years (started in the Old Gods time) the Byzantine Empire has been ascendant, retaking various areas and driving the Muslims back. Then finally in 1200 the Emperor retook Alexandria and was able to unite Christendom.

The Byzantine Empire is still probably the most powerful nation, but we are constantly stamping out peasant and heathen revolts, and have been for seventy-five years or so. The only time it stopped was to fight the Mongols. The Ilkanate was defeated soundly after 8 years and collapsed shortly thereafter into four seperate kingdoms. The Golden Horde conquered a number of duchies north of the Black Sea, then converted to Orthodox Christianity.

Unfortunately I didn't realize the game kept track of family lines, so genetics are not going well for the Imperial family at the moment. In a panic the current Emperor (whose wife had just died) looked for a bride from an area the Imperial family had never married into, and ended up married to the oldest daughter of the Golden Horde's Great Khan. So yeah, interesting alliance there.

The Holy Roman Empire, our most stalwart ally (read the one the heirs kept marrying into because I wasn't thinking) has suddenly, and without any obvious sign disintegrated in less than two years.

I switched over to that family to find out what was going on and learned that the Emperor and both his sons died within four days of each other (one natural, one accident, one assassinated) leaving a cousin with a rather weak claim to the Imperial throne in charge.

The Dukes of Poland decided to revolt for independence shortly thereafter. The new Empeor, likely loking to prove himself worthy led an army to put them down, and was promptly defeated, his army destroyed, and he was slain. With no male heir.

Full scale civil war followed. Now, five years later the Empire has completely vanished from Central Europe. Only one duke stayed loyal (Savoy) and even they have now been subsumed into the new Duchy of Prevence. The old Empress is now Queen of Bohemia (just having hit 16 last year) and Central Europe is a patchwork of states that hate each other.

Meanwhile Sweden is trying to overthrow the English Queen, the Emperor of Hispania is trying (and failing) to subjugate Portugal, the former Ilkhanate is steadily losing ground to two of the breakaway states, and Kiev has been completely annexed by its neighbors.

Oh, and Mecca has been completely converted to orthodox Christianity.

libbrit

Banned
A good mod would be to add `War Banners`. By which i mean war banners such as The Dragon Banner (a mythical English war banner), The Orriflamme for France, The True Cross (not a banner, but practically the same thing) for perhaps The Byzantine or Holy Roman emperor, and generically, `The Gonfalone`(the name for religious banners in medieval Italy, which most towns possessed-and still do) for any other kingdoms.

My thinking is this. They become `heirlooms`, rather like the Damascus Steel Sword that can be handed down as traits, father to son. Their is a prestige and vassal loyalty value to having one. If you are England/France /Byzantium and any others i cant think of that have specific historic war banners, perhaps you `acquire` the banner by participating in a crusade. For everyone else, exactly the same thing, however you get given a generic `Gonfalone`, which you get the option of naming (usually after a saint).

Then, once your dynasty possesses it, you can actually use it for a specific purpose. When your ruler is leading an army in purpose, you can select the option to `carry the banner`, and remove it from its usual storage. An army marching under the banner gains various martial attributes. However it comes at a cost-financial, and you need to possess a certain piety level. Alternatively, instead of a Gonfalone, you could acquire religious relics and use them the same way (i can picture 12 different monarchs marching to war carrying the head of St Someone)

What does everyone think?

My first complete game of Crusader Kings was as Petty King Bleddyn of Gwynedd. I unified Wales, made my way in Ireland, conquered Scotland and England, completely absorbed Scotland and Ireland into Wales, and formed Britannia. Towards the very end of the game, my dynasty member fell in charge of the Byzantine Empire through the complex system that is intermarriage. Of course, the Byzantines were hit hard by the Golden Horde and the Ilkhanate, who ruled everything east of Poland. All they had were Constantinople, a bit of Leon, and some counties in southern Italy.

With some finagling, I found myself at the helm of two empires. A Welshman ruled in Byzantium. My first action was to restart the failed Reconquista. I would win a Crusade for Andalusia, but by then my time had sadly run out.

At least, it did until I converted to EUIV. I finished the Reconquista, conquered Iberia, regained Southern Italy, Greece, and Anatolia. My empire stretched from Iceland to Turkey, nearly forming a ring blocking the Atlantic. I decided to focus on colonization in preparation for the new world.

And boy did I. I was by far the dominant colonizing power, by which I mean I was the sole one except for a few outposts and islands from Dutchmen. I stayed largely out of European affairs, tending to my still growing empire. South Africa and India fell under my rule in the early 1700's. All this from a duchy in Wales.

My new CK2 game is as Otto von Nordheim in Bavaria. It's the year 1200 and I'm the Holy Roman Emperor, not by vote but by force. I overthrew the Kaiser all by myself. after he stiffed me of the title one too many times. I like to call the place Greater Bavaria; the vassals don't appreciate. I am now Empress Luitgard, a genius and the queen of both the Kingdom of Bavaria and Jerusalem. My distant cousin is on the throne of England and another is the heir to Norway. Scotland was in a personal union with France until the Capets in Aquitaine conquered them. The Byzantines are at the Caspian Sea and attacking the Seljuks. And Wales and Scotland fight over Ireland. I love this game.